Socioeconomics of Homeschoolers

What is Your Household Income?  

1. 1. What is Your Household Income?

• Under $20,000 per year
    • $20,000 - $50,000 per year
    • $50,000 - $100,000 per year
    • $100,000 - $200,000 per year
    • Over $200,000 per year

I've been wondering about the economic situations of homeschooling. On the one hand, it's a more expensive practice than public school, as it precludes at least one partner from taking a full time job, so you might expect that homeschooling families would be at least middle class to be able to afford it. On the other, having children in the first place and dropping that second job isn't exactly the path to financial freedom, if you know what I mean.

And anecdotally, it seems like a lot of people on the WTM board have purposefully decided to make financial sacrifices for their children, so that would also push me toward thinking that as a group, we're probably on the lower end of average.

Feel free to ignore the poll, of course, or be as anonymous as you'd like. I'm more interested in the question of whether or not our situation would be greatly different if we made different life choices with regards to children and homeschooling.

I'm curious about this, too.

We have two part-time incomes, but fortunately, we have medical insurance as part of our benefits package (as well as eligibility for the National Tuition Exchange program). Our combined income is well below what would be a living wage in this area, but we are fortunate to be able to work a tag-team work / school arrangement.

In my situation, homeschooling was actually a better choice, economically speaking, than not. After two years with this particular school district, we were DONE with public education. In order to put my son in the only private school we felt was adequate, I'd have had to take a full time job and that would have paid only for his tuition, plus, daycare for my daughter. Not to mention clothes for work, a second car, gasoline and insurance, and additional medical bills for when dd would get sick from being in daycare.

Once we put it all on paper, it was cheaper to homeschool! Including the higher utilities for people being home all day, paying for PE and music classes. So, for us, it wasn't as much as a financial sacrifice as it might be for someone else.

And, on a side note, just the other day, EX conceded that staying home with dd and home schooling her really was the best decision, even though it meant I haven't finished my own college education. He even said, "You were right; in the long run, it really is much better to have you teach her at home and keep her out of the public school environment, even though I really wanted you to finish college."

My own income right now would definitely fall into "low income" because the only income that I have to claim as income is my alimony. Child support doesn't count as income. Even though on paper, I'm low income, and, admittedly, money is tight, we're living very comfortably.

I wonder if this poll is sensitive enough. To me, there is a HUGE difference between $50K and $100K.

That's true and you could say the same thing about 20K vs 50K or 100K vs 200K. I'm mostly interested in middle class vs upper middle vs upper income, if that makes sense.

I don't think this will be a good representation of homeschoolers in general, but classical homeschoolers or maybe just those that visit here. I think this board is more diverse than the average homeschooler, although I could be wrong. People are more apt to speak there minds on a mb than in real life I suppose.

We're on the higher end of the salaries on your poll, but probably middle of the pack or lower than average in the area we live (outside DC). I would never complain about our incomes as I know we are incredibly blessed, but we have also made sacrifices both career and financially to homeschool. I hate to even call it sacrifice compared to what others do so maybe a better way to say it is that the decisions we have made don't made sense from a financial or career advancement perspective but are what make sense for us as a family.

From a purely financial standpoint either both of us could work full-time or if only one of us did I should work full-time and dh should stay home. Instead we both work part-time which means we've had to make some sacrifices in our career. (dh will not be promoted beyond his current level, etc). But the way we do it makes the most sense for our family life.

My gross income last year on my income tax was $9447. I would say we are WAY below poverty level. NOw of course that does not take into account my tax free income, but even then we are still under $20,000. Clearly not in the middle income, BUT homeschooling has been far cheaper than ps was. I don't have to have the newest clothes, backpacks, huge supply lists, pictures, field trip fees, hot lunch fees etc As well even working f/t I didn't make a whole lot and had to pay daycare fees in addition to school ones, so I say we are close to $500-$800 richer a month by homeschooling. As well due to our income level we qualify for other programs like free admission to the zoo, or the fort or nature center. Only pay 25% of the total cost for things like swimming lessons and qualify for free private music lessons, art and drama classes etc. Everything else I can use my homeschool funding for to get curric, family passes to the museum and science center, admission fees on other fieldtrips etc. Anything that fits in between I volunteer to get it free (clean the gymnastic club for free lessons, work bingos for free baseball season etc) By homeschooling we have more money for the family, I can focus on the kids academics and we have more time as a family, so I feel like we are upper class when in reality we are very very poor by today's standards.

At the same time we do not have the stability of other families, will not be owning a home anytime in the next decade, drive a car that is 10 years old and falling apart, live in a not very decent area, have had days that we had chicken soup for breakfat because that was all that was left in the house, and other such things. Thankfully some of that will change next month with I get a large tax free payment (even then I consider it huge, my family that is very well off consider it barely anything, it's all perception and life experience)

There is a big difference in 50K and 100K! I don't think they can be lumped together! 60k for a family of 6 almost puts us into a low income tax bracket because of the deductions our kids bring. Adding 40K to our income to bring us up to 100K would make a very big difference!

There is a lot more to a person's socio-economic class than just how much income you bring in per year.

Maybe the question would be; After you total your deductions, what is your income?

Looks like most people fall in the middle, but I'm a bit surprised that there are so many in the highest and lowest category.

Interestingly enough, if the per capita GNP of the United States is $46,859 as of 2008, my family of six's share of the national income would be $281,154. This is, uhm, a bit more than we make.

A family of 8 who was earning exactly the per capita income of the country would need to earn $374,872. That represents the national income, averaged per person. Some people are making some some serious $$$.

We would be on the higher end of your poll, but what we choose to spend our money on is a bit different than most people we know in our income bracket. We spend on our children's education, travel, charity, and extra-curriculars for our kids.

I am frugal by choice, but know there are families who making many more sacrifices than I have to just to homeschool their kids. Kudos to them.

That's true and you could say the same thing about 20K vs 50K or 100K vs 200K. I'm mostly interested in middle class vs upper middle vs upper income, if that makes sense.

:iagree:

My husband is currently bringing home about $24,000 for our family of 6. Last year, he was making about $45,000. Both are considered low income (we qualify for things like WIC, free insurance for the kids), but our current income is pretty much impossible to live on.

I quite work a month before my oldest was born with no intention of going back. So, loss of income isn't a factor in our homeschooling cost.

In my personal experience (including myself), many families who chose to homeschool already had one stay-at-home parent. It's easier to continue existing on one income than it is to lose a second when you're used to it, I think.

This is what I was thinking. I was already a SAHM before homeschooling, so we did not really give up anything but rather did not add any additional income when the kids got into school (which is something that many people I know did who send there kids to ps).

Hey, that's a perfect bell curve! :) I wouldn't have thought...

We used to be a career-focused family and both worked very hard. A few years ago, we brought in salaries way over the poll. I never thought I'd homeschool, but I decided to sell my biz and just be a mom, focusing completely on my daughter. DH still works very hard (always flying places and working on the weekend.) Life has gotten much more frugal, I am finally reading prices on groceries and trying my best not to make superfluous purchases. We're still on the high end, but sometimes it is hard to adjust and stick to a budget now. Although I am grateful that DH at least has a job, it seems so many have been getting laid off.

But even though we have much less money now, I am sooo much more happier spending time with my family/homeschooling than I was when I was addicted to career.

Edited by Satori

I'm curious about this, too.

We have two part-time incomes, but fortunately, we have medical insurance as part of our benefits package (as well as eligibility for the National Tuition Exchange program). Our combined income is well below what would be a living wage in this area, but we are fortunate to be able to work a tag-team work / school arrangement.

Similar situation here. well, dh works basically full time, I work part-time (partly for the $, partly for the insurance my job provides). Our shifts are opposing, so we have the tag-team childcare/school thing going on. Our income is still pretty low, but it's enough!

Hmmm, this can be fairly misleading. A $120,000 a year income family may have $8,000 monthly mortgage, car and insurance payments. Leaving their COL and disposable income far less than the $50,000 income family that owns everything outright with no debt. We're the latter.

It would be interesting if someone made a poll for income divided by number of people in the family.

I'm not sure we could easily make it even....

Something like:

Under $30K, all families

$30-50K, 5+ children

$30-50K, 1-4 children

$50-70K, 5+ children

$50-70K, 1-4 children

$70-100K, 5+ children

$70-100K, 1-4 children

$100-175K, 5+ children

$100-175K, 1-4 children

$175K+, all families

???

I think those breakdowns are more telling also.

Honestly, I'm SHOCKED that 70% of people who have answered make over $50K. Absolutely shocked. Not counting hubby being laid off so we're REALLY low temporarily, we're usually low income for this board. But I'm surprised about that. REALLY surprised.

However, I also don't consider 50-100K to be the middle of the bell curve usually either. I guess I need to research this but I would guess that the average family income, even with both people working, isn't hovering about $75K. Of course, possibly my understanding is skewed as I live in a cheap <cough> state.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Something like:

Under $30K, all families

$30-50K, 5+ children

$30-50K, 1-4 children

$50-70K, 5+ children

$50-70K, 1-4 children

$70-100K, 5+ children

$70-100K, 1-4 children

$100-175K, 5+ children

$100-175K, 1-4 children

$175K+, all families

???

Honestly, I'm SHOCKED that 70% of people who have answered make over $50K. Absolutely shocked. Not counting hubby being laid off so we're REALLY low temporarily, we're usually low income for this board. But I'm surprised about that. REALLY surprised.

However, I also don't consider 50-100K to be the middle of the bell curve usually either. I guess I need to research this but I would guess that the average family income, even with both people working, isn't hovering about $75K. Of course, possibly my understanding is skewed as I live in a cheap <cough> state.

Yes, I think location is very important. Many people would call us wealthy with DH's income, but here in the Bay Area we just scrape by.

Yes, there is. We have a high income compared to many families. We also subsidize [cough] many physicians because of multiple health care conditions throughout our family. We also have four children. That is not many children, but costs do add up. Two now are in college. Asking our net income results in meaningless data.

There is a lot more to a person's socio-economic class than just how much income you bring in per year.
Edited by Orthodox6

I always (I mean since I was a kid) thought I'd work and have a career. And I did, until I had kids. But having both of us working and the kids in ps is so not an option anymore. We'd have to come home from working 8+ hours a day then do the homework, dinner, etc. thing. No, not for me. If I worked as well (engineer by trade), we'd be in the $100 - $200 K range. As it is we're very comfortable in the upper $50 -100 K range. I am so grateful my husband has steady work and is good at what he does. We do live within our means and even less (thank you Dave Ramsey!). We don't care about keeping up with the neighbor's choice of vehicles, if it runs it's good.

So, I am happy my oldest child asked to homeschool or I'd never be in this awesome situation.

Edited by bugs
poor choice of words

When I worked (until the twins came along), our income was twice as much as it is now. Since I stopped working, our lifestyle has changed very little in order to accommodate the loss of income - it has changed in other ways, of course, but not much because I often worked from home.

Frankly, the fact that there has been so little change makes me a little nauseous. It means we used to spend an amount many would consider a very comfortable family income on... crap. Indeed, after the loss of my income, my husband went to grad school at a private university, the children have become more involved in extra curriculars, and we have begun taking much better vacations... Oh, yeah, and we've paid off debt we acquired when I WAS working. :confused: (Is there a nausea smilie? I think I need one.)

Something like:

Under $30K, all families

$30-50K, 5+ children

$30-50K, 1-4 children

$50-70K, 5+ children

$50-70K, 1-4 children

$70-100K, 5+ children

$70-100K, 1-4 children

$100-175K, 5+ children

$100-175K, 1-4 children

$175K+, all families

???

Try living in MA. Here, it seems unless you make $150k then you are borderline poverty...

Anyways. I need to shut up because dh is unemployed and even $20k would look awfully good, LOL!!

Seriously, then we lived in UPstate NY where $50k was a fortune. Here, in this area, it's nothing.

Yes, I think location is very important. Many people would call us wealthy with DH's income, but here in the Bay Area we just scrape by.
and benefit package is a huge difference! We pay $250 a month for life insurance, over $1000 on medical and have no retirement accounts. My bf complains that my DH makes more than hers, but they have all of the above paid by his employer!

We were 2 incomes before I started hsing.

In my personal experience (including myself), many families who chose to homeschool already had one stay-at-home parent. It's easier to continue existing on one income than it is to lose a second when you're used to it, I think.

one can qualify for state help at 50,000.

where? what kind of state aid?

I thought WIC had the most open requirements and for a family of 4, it's $40K (actually I was surprised it was that high too, but I just looked it up and that is for 2009-2010). In Alaska, it is $50K.

Here? The highest unemployment amount is $417 per week. That puts you high enough (for a family of 4) to not qualify for medicaid (for the kids) and to get $96/month in food stamps according to the welfare declaration letter we received last week.

ETA: This is much closer to what I would have guessed:

In 2007, the median annual household income rose 1.3% to $50,233.00 according to the Census Bureau.[3]
Edited by 2J5M9K

We embarked on homeschooling BECAUSE I lost my job, and our income plummeted by 40%.

Absolutely! I got full health, vision, and dental 100% free to me at my job for ALL of us!

We now pay $600/month for only medical and dental.

I miss working!

Dawn

and benefit package is a huge difference! We pay $250 a month for life insurance, over $1000 on medical and have no retirement accounts. My bf complains that my DH makes more than hers, but they have all of the above paid by his employer!

In 1994, DH had a job offer in CA. They wanted him badly, and insisted that I come with him on an all-expenses-paid visit. (At the time we lived in AL.) We started laughing about costs as soon as we arrived. We tried not to "ROFL" when the real estate agent showed us houses equivalent to what we owned in Birmingham. Our 2700 Sq.F. AL house, purchased for $118,000, would have cost between $450,000 and $500,000 in northern CA.

The salary offered was not much an increase from AL to begin with.

My husband took a 37% pay cut by moving from CA to NC. It was the same firm, but the cost of living is different so they pay differently.

My pay would have been cut almost 50%!

Dawn

And anecdotally, it seems like a lot of people on the WTM board have purposefully decided to make financial sacrifices for their children, so that would also push me toward thinking that as a group, we're probably on the lower end of average.
Based on discussions here over the years, I don't believe this group as a whole is on the lower end of average. Here is another income query poll, btw.

We're on the high end too, but that's because I'm working, and we live in central NJ. Even with both our salaries, our monthly mortgage payment (for an older, modest-but-not-small, not-at-all-updated home) is 30% of our income :( Some parties involved are not quite on board with the whole "sacrifice to stay home" thing yet *sigh*

We actually made huge sacrifices to homeschool. Knowing from the time dd was born that we were going to take this route I never went back to work so we could adjust.

Then we got caught in the whole get a bigger home for less payment mess. :tongue_smilie: Learned some valuable lessons there. We eventually sold that house and moved into a much cheaper house (albeit the same size as this was a builder foreclosure).

We also have bartered for many "extras". DH builds websites on the side so he is doing the dance studios site where dd goes (= free classes for us). We coupon, etc.

If we had made smarter choices earlier then we would be OK. But, we are fixing our mistakes and homeschooling all at the same time. :) It has also forced us to be creative in our thinking (teaching flute lessons in the evenings, teaching music one afternoon a week at church, the bartering, asking for gift cards for gifts so I can buy school books, asking grandparents for dds "extra classes" at a local homeschool group to be bday or christmas presents)

where? what kind of state aid?

I thought WIC had the most open requirements and for a family of 4, it's $40K (actually I was surprised it was that high too, but I just looked it up and that is for 2009-2010). In Alaska, it is $50K.

Here? The highest unemployment amount is $417 per week. That puts you high enough (for a family of 4) to not qualify for medicaid (for the kids) and to get $96/month in food stamps according to the welfare declaration letter we received last week.

ETA: This is much closer to what I would have guessed:

It is hoosier healthwise, for a family of 5. (We thought I was pg and if I was then we would qualify. It isn't much, but with our medical and dental bills it would definitely help. I had a friend on food stamps at 40,000 here in IN too.

Then we got caught in the whole get a bigger home for less payment mess. :tongue_smilie: Learned some valuable lessons there. We eventually sold that house and moved into a much cheaper house (albeit the same size as this was a builder foreclosure).

Utilities and maintenence for a larger house make a big difference.

We make WAY less with me staying home with the boys than if I was working. Also 5 years ago my husband went from being self-employed to working for a company and his income was cut in half. My boys are now in 12 and 10th grades and has it been worth giving up the extra income for me to be able to stay home with them? YOU BET!!!!!!! We would not have done it any differently. You learn to make sacrifices and we PRAISE the LORD EVERYDAY for the fact that he gives us EXCELLENT HEALTH, finances not so much but we are so RICH in every other aspect of life!!

We are in the higher end of middle for a family of 4.

Gloria

BIG difference...we are in the 20-50K range but I would feel RICH, RICH, RICH if we had 30K/year let me tell you!

We totally could get food stamps and such but my dh was brought up to fully trust on the Lord...I'm all about getting free stuff (anything to help out) but my parents (ULTRA REPUBLICANS) would have a fit!

This is part of the reason why I love WTM...I will not have to buy many things for subsequent children. Consumables are so expensive when you have lots! But by using the library (who would have thought) and non-consumable texts, we are making out like bandits in my opinion!