Menu

I think the only reason NOT to return a shopping cart to a corral is...

I haven't read all the posts, but here in my town it costs a dollar to use a cart at the local super store. You get it back when you bring your cart back to the corral and chain it to the next cart.

There are never, ever, ever any loose carts in the lot (or around town). I think it's a great system.

I have seen carts blow across lots and leave huge dents on other people's cars. No matter how many I had, I always brought the cart back.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally found a blog post I had been searching for in relation to this topic. Coincidentally, my husband and I were discussing the shopping cart thing just the other day after he read this post on everyday theology by a Neopagan blogger. I find this resonates with me, not just about shopping carts, but about trying to live life in sync with my principles, including in the little things.

http://www.bunny-puppy.net/folk/carts.html

"You see, here's the thing: societies are built up from tiny contributions. Everyone can do something to contribute to how well it runs, and sometimes that something is just "Not making it more difficult for everyone else." And there are little ways that we can contribute to making it better all around. My thing is shopping carts..... "

and the connected post

http://www.bunny-puppy.net/folk/maatcom.html

This issue was a divisive, explosive, leave the board issue on another board I belonged to.

Twice, a couple of years apart.

I usually put my cart in the corral, even with closely space multiple children in the Arizona heat. And with slightly older children in the rain in Houston.

And, sometimes, I didn't. The intent behind "didn't" was never malicious but a function of practicality and convience vs. the inconvience to strangers.

I - or a spawn of mine - always does now.

wow, I didn't know shopping cart return was such a hot issue!

I return whenever possible and safe. I say it depends on where you live/shop, rather you have dc in tow, and the weather. If you live in an extreme climate hot or cold, and you have dc with you and you have to turn on the car then I totally see why you wouldn't return a cart if not right next to or across a corral.

I had this exact conversation with my younger brother. You cannot assume that every person who does not return a cart is an irresponsible jerk.

If you live in a small/friendly town and are comfortable to go a greater distance to return a cart, more power to you, that's awesome.

I live in an area where people have been carjacked from the wal-mart parking lot. Anyone else here from the hampton roads area want to back me up on that? Usually once a year or so someone is mugged, attacked or carjacked in a wal-mart around here. All it takes is 5 seconds and a child messing with the car buttons to unlock their door at the wrong time. Maybe I am a bad mommy, but I don't trust that my daughter won't pick an inopertune time to disobey. Anyone else have nonperfect kids or is it just me:001_smile:? And personally, I spent way too much time trying to get pregnant just to lose my dd over a shopping cart.

When she was a baby, I had this bizzare fear that the moment I stepped 10 steps away from the car, that I would be nabbed, run over or attacked. And while I was laying there dying, the people trying to help me would not know that just 10 feet away was my car with my baby locked in it. I know I'm paranoid but I can't help it.

I have been known to stand behind my car, if the corrall is across the street/ally way, and shove my cart directly into the corral, instead of walking it over. It has a back stop so it is never in danger of hitting a car and at least I can say I returned it.

The bottom line is: do it when you can and let God sort out the rest. Just my opinion of course.:001_smile:

This issue was a divisive, explosive, leave the board issue on another board I belonged to.

I usually put my cart in the corral, even with closely space multiple children in the Arizona heat. And with slightly older children in the rain in Houston.

And, sometimes, I didn't. The intent behind "didn't" was never malicious but a function of practicality and convience vs. the inconvience to strangers.

I - or a spawn of mine - always does now.

Wow. Some people have too much free time and spend it ruminating on all the things everyone else does wrong.

Secondarily, I never realized how funny the word "spawn" could be. :lol:

Wow. Some people have too much free time and spend it ruminating on all the things everyone else does wrong.

Secondarily, I never realized how funny the word "spawn" could be. :lol:

every cart should be a planned and wanted cart.

we shouldn't force people to have to deliver carts to full cart corrals.

;)

Yes, I am pro-choice when it comes to returning carts. It's my only liberal position.

yup.

And it is not grocery carts. It is the little acts of kindness that I am concerned about. It seems like this world is losing them, bit by bit.

And it baffles me that people have lists of excuses about why they deliberately do a rude act & defend themselves.

every cart should be a planned and wanted cart.

we shouldn't force people to have to deliver carts to full cart corrals.

;)

That is priceless.

I have always returned my carts unless I had a crying baby. Then, the baby would win out, but I would also push the cart out of the way if possible. Now that my children are much too old to cry or scream, ;), my carts are always returned.

Just need to say that Walmart drives me crazy. Their cart returns are sparse and not well planned so I try to park near one.

Janet

Finally found a blog post I had been searching for in relation to this topic. Coincidentally, my husband and I were discussing the shopping cart thing just the other day after he read this post on everyday theology by a Neopagan blogger. I find this resonates with me, not just about shopping carts, but about trying to live life in sync with my principles, including in the little things.

http://www.bunny-puppy.net/folk/carts.html

"You see, here's the thing: societies are built up from tiny contributions. Everyone can do something to contribute to how well it runs, and sometimes that something is just "Not making it more difficult for everyone else." And there are little ways that we can contribute to making it better all around. My thing is shopping carts..... "

and the connected post

http://www.bunny-puppy.net/folk/maatcom.html

The Theology of Shopping Carts made me laugh--such a peaceful, thoughtful essay, ending with this:

"Ma'at is putting away the g*dd*mn shopping carts." :lol:

And in general, I completely agree with the thoughts. I'm the person who always says please and thank you and you're welcome, who treks across the store to put something back in its place rather than hand it to the cashier to reshelve, who stands for 5 minutes in front of the library shelves trying to put a book back in the right place (and reordering a few others alphabetically while I'm at it), who bags her own groceries, always says "bless you" when someone sneezes, and consciously doesn't stand in the middle of the grocery store aisle blocking it for everyone else while she's trying to make a decision about, say, breakfast cereal. People rave about how well mannered and polite my children are (literally, a former schoolteacher at dinner the other night just would NOT stop talking about it). I do believe it's the little things that make the world a much better place, and when we were driving home from North Carolina, passing through Virginia and Tennessee and West Virginia, I wanted to cry every time we met some super-sweet, ultra-friendly Southerner, because I'm from New Jersey, and we're just not accustomed to that sort of kindness!

However, I often find myself bending over too far backwards in my small courtesies for other, and modeling this for my daughters. I think this is as detrimental as teaching them that their own needs come first in every situation. Sometimes, our own needs DO get to come before a stranger's needs. Every once in awhile, I'm going to have to say that, yes, guarding against even the slightest increase in threat to my family's personal safety is going to have to come before a stranger's ire over the perceived rudeness of an unreturned grocery cart. I will never leave the cart in the handicapped spot, and I will never leave it in the middle of a regular spot or push it haphazardly into the paths of oncoming cars. I will always push the front wheels securely onto the median, or if there's no median, I'll stand there and wiggle it so that the front wheels turn so it won't roll. But I will not add to what I consider to be even the tiniest risk of my children's safety. Sometimes, that DOES come first, the same way I won't force them to kiss random family members if they don't want to or allow strangers to give them candy if I'm not comfortable with it.

I don't think considering your kids' safety over returning a shopping cart is an accurate measure of someone's character and desire to better the world for the rest of humanity.

Well, my children are PART of that public, and yes, their safety is my paramount concern, not the dings in people's car doors. I have the rest of my life to return carts to the corral and volunteer to take the carts of other mamas with little children. When I'm alone or another adult is with me, I always return the cart, even in the rain. However, I will not cross a busy, crowded parking lot repeatedly with two little kids -- two antsy, exhausted, overstimulated little kids -- just to return the cart to the corral, and I will not leave them unattended in the car to do it unless I'm parked only a few feet from it. I too am concerned with small kindnesses and graces, and that includes a bit of grace for moms concerned about keeping their kids safe. I'll gladly take a ding on my own car door or drive around to the next aisle when I find a cart in a space for that reason.

Yes, the chances of something happening to kids in a parking lot are small, but still not worth taking. What I'm demonstrating for my kids is not irresponsibility, it's the importance I place on their safety over a stranger's convenience. We don't live near Lake Erie, and I have never once, in my entire 35 years, seen a cart blowing across a parking lot.

Oh, I've never had to park in a handicapped space and this drives me BONKERS! Especially because at all the stores around here, there's plenty of space in between cars to stick a cart easily. If you're not going to return it, fine, but why does it have to go in the middle of the space???

Actually, I believe two ways have been listed: leave them in the car unattended or drag them across the parking lot with you. Neither option works for me. I can't tell you how many times I've had cars nearly plow into me, a full-grown (and then some!) adult, because they're in such a hurry to get out of their space or get around to the next aisle where someone is leaving. The less time my kids spend in a parking lot, the better. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't bring them at all, but such is the life of a homeschooler. Sorry!

:lol:

Also listed:

Park near the corral

Ask someone else to return your cart for you

Leave your kids at home

I think all of these were listed by someone other than me.

Before the loonie/quarter deposits became the norm on all our carts, there were teens whose job it was to round up the stray carts in the parking lots. Seems to me it's up to the companies to hire someone to do this.

We thankfully don't have coin deposit machines here.

I only have about a 25% return rate. I'll return it if I'm right next to the corral. Otherwise I just push it to a spot nearby where it's not blocking a parking space and unlikely to roll away.

In our area, there are employees who get paid to round up extra carts.

And it is not grocery carts. It is the little acts of kindness that I am concerned about. It seems like this world is losing them, bit by bit.

And it baffles me that people have lists of excuses about why they deliberately do a rude act & defend themselves.

This is exactly the point. Just like the thread a few months ago about folks who would rather pay overdue fines on a book that return it in time for the rest of the folks on the waiting list.

It seems that community goodwill and care of communal property is dwindling as the "me first" attitude increases.

A friend once told me the story of grocery shopping as a child in a military family during the 60s and early 70s...Her mother would always dress in skirt and nice top/sweater set/etc., good shoes and gloves and head to the base commissary. Children under 10 or 12 years old weren't allowed to enter the store so she would have found someone to watch them or dropped them at the day care center. Do you think that she didn't return her cart at the end? Another friend, new military wife in the early 90s, makes her first trip to the commissary only to discover that she has broken the unwritten code of the day-officer's wives don't wear jeans to the commissary. Think she always returned her cart? Sure the dress codes are a bit extreme but the problem is that we threw it all out. Now folks feel free to wear jammies to WalMart and I'm still hunting for a shopping cart that is still sitting in the outer realms of the parking lot because someone won't return it to the designated spot. I think returning your cart is just good manners, something that is increasingly lacking in modern society.

I always park near the corral if at all possible. However, I am not a staunch cart-returner *for safety* issues. Kids have been snatched from cars while parents returned the cart (especially in the case of infants in infant seats). That said, if I need to keep the car-door open (due to heat), if there are no older kids in the car, or the corral is far away, then yes, you can throw tomatoes at me....I won't return the cart. That said, then carts are usually returned by the workers pretty soon in our area (except at Walmart).

To me safety comes first.

Also listed:

Park near the corral

Ask someone else to return your cart for you

Leave your kids at home

I think all of these were listed by someone other than me.

If I could do the first and third things every time I go to the grocery store, I wouldn't be a part of this conversation. And I'm not going to inconvenience a stranger to return a cart for me when there are two men running around the lot at any given moment who are getting paid to do the job.

:001_huh:

Was this directed towards me?

If it is it is pretty hurtful.

I thought she was referring to Joanne's post about this issue actually tearing up another board she was on. However, how do you think those of us on the other side of your argument are feeling right now? :confused:

A friend once told me the story of grocery shopping as a child in a military family during the 60s and early 70s...Her mother would always dress in skirt and nice top/sweater set/etc., good shoes and gloves and head to the base commissary. Children under 10 or 12 years old weren't allowed to enter the store so she would have found someone to watch them or dropped them at the day care center. Do you think that she didn't return her cart at the end?

Ah, the good old days. What I wouldn't give to go back to a time when I had to wear my Sunday gloves and good hose to the GROCERY STORE. Good times.

I think whether she returned her cart at the end is moot because she had to get a babysitter just so she could make a run to the GROCERY STORE. Is that really what we're yearning toward here?

I mean, honestly, what it feels like people are saying is that those of us who don't return our carts out of concern for our young kids' safety are boorish, overprotective helicopter moms who need to unclench and polish off our dusty manners because we're driving society into decline. I feel like something is way out of proportion here. My head is seriously spinning from this thread.

If someone is waiting for my space and I'm parked far away from the store then I think it would be rude to hold up the space while I walk my cart (with my kids - which would make it even slower) avoiding traffic to get the cart back to the store.

If the store is not busy, and no one is waiting for my space then I return the cart if I have to. Often, there is a teen "cart guy" that hovers before I even unload all my groceries. :) On busy days, the cart guys usually have to bag.

Imagine a really busy supermarket (with NO corrals) you are parked a good distance from the entrance (sometimes in the over-flow lot :eek:) and telling the people that are circling and the mom in the car waiting for your spot that you don't want to be rude - because apparently there is NEVER an excuse good enough for some people - that you'll be back in about 5 minutes because you have to return the cart. :001_huh:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

If I could do the first and third things every time I go to the grocery store, I wouldn't be a part of this conversation. And I'm not going to inconvenience a stranger to return a cart for me when there are two men running around the lot at any given moment who are getting paid to do the job.

I thought she was referring to Joanne's post about this issue actually tearing up another board she was on. However, how do you think those of us on the other side of your argument are feeling right now? :confused:

Ah, the good old days. What I wouldn't give to go back to a time when I had to wear my Sunday gloves and good hose to the GROCERY STORE. Good times.

I think whether she returned her cart at the end is moot because she had to get a babysitter just so she could make a run to the GROCERY STORE. Is that really what we're yearning toward here?

I mean, honestly, what it feels like people are saying is that those of us who don't return our carts out of concern for our young kids' safety are boorish, overprotective helicopter moms who need to unclench and polish off our dusty manners because we're driving society into decline. I feel like something is way out of proportion here. My head is seriously spinning from this thread.

I made it a point to say the ACT of not returning carts is the bad thing. THE ACT, not the person.

And child safety was a reason that the non-returners gave for not returning. The idea that someone is a safer parent was brought up by them, ie: I never leave my kids in a car alone, not even to return a cart.

And for the many who don't read all the posts. I have never advocated putting your kids in danger to return a cart.

My point was it is the small unselfish acts that make a difference in this world. People disagree.

I made it a point to say the ACT of not returning carts is the bad thing. THE ACT, not the person.

So what is then to be inferred about people who repeatedly and intentionally do what you consider a rude act? I'm trying to understand why you think it's possible to separate the act which you consider so rude and unjustifiable from the actor, and thus, we should not take it kind of personally. (And please know that I'm not asking that to further this particular debate. I don't think we're going to agree here. I'm really trying to understand, because you're not the first person I've seen make this point.)

And child safety was a reason that the non-returners gave for not returning. The idea that someone is a safer parent was brought up by them, ie: I never leave my kids in a car alone, not even to return a cart.

Frankly, that never even occurred to me. I'm seeing this solely from my point of view as someone who simply is not comfortable walking away from my kids in the car or bringing them with me across the busy parking lots of the grocery stores we frequent. If someone else is comfortable doing either of those things, more power to them. I'm fully aware that my own comfort level is much lower.

And for the many who don't read all the posts. I have never advocated putting your kids in danger to return a cart.

Of course you didn't. It's a matter of perception only. But who is to judge when perception is correct or incorrect? You can only judge for yourself.

My point was it is the small unselfish acts that make a difference in this world. People disagree.

I don't disagree with you about that AT ALL. As I mentioned earlier, where we live, those small kindnesses are all but gone. (Seriously. Two weeks ago, I sneezed at a full dinner table surrounded by my in-laws and a waiter, and not one single person said "Bless you." One week ago, I sneezed beside my car in the Costco parking lot, and the elderly man reading in the car next to me honked his horn to get my attention and mouthed "Bless you!" through the glass. I almost started to cry, I was so touched. That's a sad state of affairs right there.) My disagreement is with the judgment that not returning a cart because you have safety on your mind is not inherently a selfish or unselfish act. To judge it as selfish is to tell the person thinking about their kids' safety (whether you think it's over the top or not) that they should prioritize strangers over their children.

And now I must go in search of much ibuprofen for my cracked molar and wake my husband.

So what is then to be inferred about people who repeatedly and intentionally do what you consider a rude act? I'm trying to understand why you think it's possible to separate the act which you consider so rude and unjustifiable from the actor, and thus, we should not take it kind of personally. (And please know that I'm not asking that to further this particular debate. I don't think we're going to agree here. I'm really trying to understand, because you're not the first person I've seen make this point.)

Frankly, that never even occurred to me. I'm seeing this solely from my point of view as someone who simply is not comfortable walking away from my kids in the car or bringing them with me across the busy parking lots of the grocery stores we frequent. If someone else is comfortable doing either of those things, more power to them. I'm fully aware that my own comfort level is much lower.

Of course you didn't. It's a matter of perception only. But who is to judge when perception is correct or incorrect? You can only judge for yourself.

I don't disagree with you about that AT ALL. As I mentioned earlier, where we live, those small kindnesses are all but gone. (Seriously. Two weeks ago, I sneezed at a full dinner table surrounded by my in-laws and a waiter, and not one single person said "Bless you." One week ago, I sneezed beside my car in the Costco parking lot, and the elderly man reading in the car next to me honked his horn to get my attention and mouthed "Bless you!" through the glass. I almost started to cry, I was so touched. That's a sad state of affairs right there.) My disagreement is with the judgment that not returning a cart because you have safety on your mind is not inherently a selfish or unselfish act. To judge it as selfish is to tell the person thinking about their kids' safety (whether you think it's over the top or not) that they should prioritize strangers over their children.

And now I must go in search of much ibuprofen for my cracked molar and wake my husband.

Melissa,

I hope your tooth feels better.

I guess separating the act from the person is the challenge of being human? Isn't it just what you do? Like when your family does something inconsiderate & you love them anyway?

:grouphug:

This is what I do as well. Who could argue with this method? Do people really think it would be better to return the cart even with young children sitting in the car??? I'm flabergasted.

All kinds of things are doable. My children were trained to hold onto the cart/stroller. If they weren't reliable, then they were on a leash. So I could see leaving a baby/toddler in the cart seat while unloading, whilst older children held the cart or were on a leash. Then all would walk over to return the cart and walk back (be carried) to the car.

Laura

If a corral is close, I corral the cart; if not, I secure it. I have secured other carts as I leave my car to go into a store and I have chased manless carts running in the wind so other cars or people don't get hit. But I will never judge a person based what they do with their carts. It is an act of kindness to put a cart away, but not always practical.

unsinkable;1131546]:001_huh:[/i]

Was this directed towards me?

If it is it is pretty hurtful.

I was responding to Joanne's story--

I quoted her, but I'm sorry if it came across like it was directed at you. :blushing:

This is so well put!

Of course, I don't begrudge someone leaving a cart in an emergency but there is an attitude among some of: "I don't return carts because ________."

It is baffling to me that people justify it.

'Ya know, it feels funny to disagree with you, since you have my quote in your sig line and all...:tongue_smilie: BUT...

I don't always return my cart, and I totally feel justified.

I *always* park wherever I see a cart out in the lot. I take the cart into the store with me, I use it, and when it's convenient for me to do so, I return the cart either to the front of the store, or to the cart corral. When it's not convenient for me, I leave the cart back where I found it. I look at it as, when I return the cart (probably 80% of the time), I'm doing the store a favor. When I don't return the cart, I just didn't go that extra mile of fixing someone else's problem, but I didn't add to it either, kwim?

So...that's how I can (and do) totally justify it. Are we still friends? :tongue_smilie:

We have to put a coin in and the trolleys only take $1 or $2 coins. Everyone returns their trolleys!! :rofl: Even in extremely hot weather.

One of them has coin deposits in trolleys, the other doesn't. I can't remember seeing a difference in returning customs. Maybe the habit is just ingrained.

Laura

A friend once told me the story of grocery shopping as a child in a military family during the 60s and early 70s...Her mother would always dress in skirt and nice top/sweater set/etc., good shoes and gloves and head to the base commissary. Children under 10 or 12 years old weren't allowed to enter the store so she would have found someone to watch them or dropped them at the day care center. Do you think that she didn't return her cart at the end? .

I'm just going to take a stab here and say "No she didn't return her cart at the end"

Why? Because until recently most commissaries required the baggers to take your groceries to the car and load them, then you were expected to tip them because they were not paid a wage and worked for tips only.

I've been Navy wife for 12.5 years now and until the last few they would look at me like I had grown a second head if I said "I've got it but thanks anyway" and took my own groceries to the car. Of course I could only do that if I could carry the bags and not need a cart because they would confiscate my shopping cart and use their special carts to take out your groceries and load them for you. You were not allowed to use the special carts that belonged to the baggers.

:iagree:Isn't that about half the posts on the general board?
I don't disagree with you about that AT ALL. As I mentioned earlier, where we live, those small kindnesses are all but gone. (Seriously. Two weeks ago, I sneezed at a full dinner table surrounded by my in-laws and a waiter, and not one single person said "Bless you." One week ago, I sneezed beside my car in the Costco parking lot, and the elderly man reading in the car next to me honked his horn to get my attention and mouthed "Bless you!" through the glass. I almost started to cry, I was so touched. That's a sad state of affairs right there.)
Saying "Bless you!" when someone sneezes is a superstition from the belief that a demon has tried to possess the person sneezing. I do not say it, but I do care about others. I also do not throw salt over my shoulder or knock on wood. Edited by Lovedtodeath

:lol::lol::lol:

Not only that, but something new has been added to the "good, responsible people do these things" list!:tongue_smilie: Also on that list are never leave their dc alone, don't scream during delivery, and make sure that their dc have the most rigorous homeschool day possible.;)

Yes, but I am still unsure about the shoe issue in other people's homes as well as teaching my children the proper way to adress another adult. :confused: :D

Yes. I've seen this too. Funny, that.

I personally return the cart about 99% of the time. Just because someone else leaves their cart doesn't make it right for me to leave mine out. Just because I have to pay high prices for groceries doesn't mean I'm entitled to leave my cart out and have it dent someone else's car.

Shopping for me is usually a long process. I can walk around a store for a half hour or more. It really isn't that big of a deal to spend another 30 seconds to put the cart away after all of that.

I guess I see things differently. I return the cart when I am able or it's convenient. I do however, go out of my way while at Walmart to be nice and helpful to other shoppers & my cashier. I used to loathe going shopping, but now I enjoy it. I think it's all in how you view the little niceties. Everyone is called to do different acts of kindness.

I'm just going to take a stab here and say "No she didn't return her cart at the end"

Why? Because until recently most commissaries required the baggers to take your groceries to the car and load them, then you were expected to tip them because they were not paid a wage and worked for tips only.

I've been Navy wife for 12.5 years now and until the last few they would look at me like I had grown a second head if I said "I've got it but thanks anyway" and took my own groceries to the car. Of course I could only do that if I could carry the bags and not need a cart because they would confiscate my shopping cart and use their special carts to take out your groceries and load them for you. You were not allowed to use the special carts that belonged to the baggers.

:iagree: They also do this up north - WI & NY. At least they did the last time I lived there. Publix everywhere still offers but not many people take them up on it.

:iagree: They also do this up north - WI & NY. At least they did the last time I lived there. Publix everywhere still offers but not many people take them up on it.

Not in SE WI. I grew up just outside Milwaukee and the teenagers they hire as baggers are far to lazy to help with your groceries :lol:

Heck when I was growing up the "IN" thing was called Pick n Save. Nothing was marked with a price (This was before barcode scanners) and you got a black crayon on your way in so you could mark on your items what the price on the shelf stated.

I do it anyway ever since my 8-year-old was a baby (see my anecdote in the other thread). Better to be thought rude and irresponsible than have some irrational mommy call the police on me. I park near a corral whenever possible but accept being labeled as irresponsible when I can't and don't take a cart back.

Absolutely. You can't win here.

Well, given that this was obviously well before your time (30-40 years ago), in another country, and with a different branch of the service, I will trust my friend's mother's story. Of course she returned her cart, parked only in the approved spot, and wore her gloves.

My point was that once upon a time people behaved in grocery stores as they were expected to-as members of community that showed care and concern for others and proper manners, how ever silly we may find some of those acts today. In 2009 it is all about "me", how inconvenient is the simple act of returning a shopping cart for "me". Never mind the problems, dinged cars, blocked parking spaces, or the inconvenience it causes anyone else at the store...it is all about "me." So no-it's not ok to not return your cart. I'm a mom, I shop with my kids and have since they were babies. I carried them back and forth with the cart because it was the right thing to do, it wasn't about "me" it was all about YOU. My civility and manners (and those of my friend's mother) weren't about some self-serving, excuse making justification. They were common courtesies done to save others needless trouble, dinged vehicles, and ensure a fresh supply of carts at the corral or in the store.

I always get the cart put back or in a very safe place like on the sidewalk near the store or behind barriers or else I have the store clerk or someone else take it. We are military so if we are there, the baggers do it. IF I am at Safeway or someplace like that, either I do it or more usually if I have kids, they do it. They have been doing it since they were about 7 or 8 so it has been at least 13 years since I had to do when I had kids in the car. Oh, I am handicapped and still do it (I am not in a wheelchair but do have arthritis affecting my feet also).

My point was that once upon a time people behaved in grocery stores as they were expected to-as members of community that showed care and concern for others and proper manners, how ever silly we may find some of those acts today. In 2009 it is all about "me", how inconvenient is the simple act of returning a shopping cart for "me". Never mind the problems, dinged cars, blocked parking spaces, or the inconvenience it causes anyone else at the store...it is all about "me." So no-it's not ok to not return your cart. I'm a mom, I shop with my kids and have since they were babies. I carried them back and forth with the cart because it was the right thing to do, it wasn't about "me" it was all about YOU. My civility and manners (and those of my friend's mother) weren't about some self-serving, excuse making justification. They were common courtesies done to save others needless trouble, dinged vehicles, and ensure a fresh supply of carts at the corral or in the store.
I think this perspective--that we can and should act as a community--is a great one . . . I also think this perspective can and should apply to helping out members of the community for whom the act of putting away a shopping cart is unusually difficult. That can include putting away a person's cart for them without complaining, and it can include not taking a hard line on these issues on message boards.

Being truly considerate and community-minded usually leads to a mature understanding that sometimes the community needs the extra effort of the individual, and sometimes the individual needs the extra efforts of the community. True community involves give and take over a lifetime!

Susan

Well, given that this was obviously well before your time (30-40 years ago), in another country, and with a different branch of the service, I will trust my friend's mother's story. Of course she returned her cart, parked only in the approved spot, and wore her gloves.

And in this "Once upon a time" they also DID NOT have Cart Corrals! We can agree to disagree here. Cart Corrals are simply a way for the business to make it less time consuming for their workers to collect the carts and to try to keep them from being damaged by cars driving in the lot.

I for one do not think the inventor of the cart corral was sitting around thinking "Civility and manners are going down the tubes. You know what will make it better Cart Corrals"

This is exactly the point. Just like the thread a few months ago about folks who would rather pay overdue fines on a book that return it in time for the rest of the folks on the waiting list.

It seems that community goodwill and care of communal property is dwindling as the "me first" attitude increases.

...... I think returning your cart is just good manners, something that is increasingly lacking in modern society.

I think people are putting a "me first" attitude on both sides of the issue.

There is no "care of communal property" --the carts belong to the store and the cars belong to individuals. Both have a duty to be good stewards of tehir stuff and both take risks when the cars hit the road and the carts leave the store.

I have been known to leave carts out as well as put them back. Depending on the circumstances at any given time, I have been known to seek out stray carts and drag them in on the way into the store, put extras away back in the cart corral, and leave them in the end of the parking space and GIT oUTTA THERE.

I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt and not assume they were acting rudely, selfishly, or w/o concern at all just because they happened to leave the store's cart in the store's parking lot. But then again, I'm sure i would take issue w/ any number of "manners" issues that come up routinely, so our ideas of what constitutes good manners will vary drastically.

I think this perspective--that we can and should act as a community--is a great one . . . I also think this perspective can and should apply to helping out members of the community for whom the act of putting away a shopping cart is unusually difficult. That can include putting away a person's cart for them without complaining, and it can include not taking a hard line on these issues on message boards.

Being truly considerate and community-minded usually leads to a mature understanding that sometimes the community needs the extra effort of the individual, and sometimes the individual needs the extra efforts of the community. True community involves give and take over a lifetime!

:iagree:

i shoulda read this first and saved myself some typing ;)

Cart Corrals are simply a way for the business to make it less time consuming for their workers to collect the carts and to try to keep them from being damaged by cars driving in the lot.

That in itself should be reason enough for you to return your cart. I see young kids, probably making about 6 bucks an hour, gathering these carts from far recesses of the parking lot, in all types of weather, speeding cars (probably drunk at times) and late at night. They have to gather the carts even if someone leaves it behind a dark building or down the street. I know that my area is probably more heavily populated than some of yours and I know adults sometimes have these jobs, but typically its someones high school child.

I have five kids and I cannot think of a single time I could not find a way to return my cart, and I usually grab a few of the other strays that are in my path.

I'm a mom, I shop with my kids and have since they were babies. I carried them back and forth with the cart because it was the right thing to do, it wasn't about "me" it was all about YOU.
Absolutely. You can't win here.

Because leaving baby in the cart while unloading has been called irresponsible, as well as exposing your children to extra traffic in order to return the cart. Whether one returns the cart or not one is irresponsible.

I don't really care... just keep them out of the handicapped parking and I love you. :tongue_smilie:

And in this "Once upon a time" they also DID NOT have Cart Corrals! We can agree to disagree here. Cart Corrals are simply a way for the business to make it less time consuming for their workers to collect the carts and to try to keep them from being damaged by cars driving in the lot.

I for one do not think the inventor of the cart corral was sitting around thinking "Civility and manners are going down the tubes. You know what will make it better Cart Corrals"

No, I'm sure they weren't thinking about how great the cart corral was for society nor does Emily Post have a chapter on shopping carts. But none of these statements excuse bad manners. So you can pick at my anecdote all you like but the point being made by it remains. It's just plain bad manners. Good manners, based on the responses to this post, seem to be as old fashioned as my anecdote.

And by the way-a simple search of the internet will show that cart corrals were in use as early as 1971 so...do check your facts. I have no idea how the corral relates to my story as the phrase "returned the shopping cart" could have many possible outcomes.

I will bow out because apparantly agreeing to disagree isn't in the cards here, and I don't just mean in your view. There are plenty of others who feel that we who don't always return our carts no matter the circumstances are just plain rude.

I realize some areas were using cart corrals earlier than others that wasn't the point.

I was simply answering the "What do you think she did" with a simple response of "there's a good chance she didn't return the cart either to corral or store because most commissaries didn't even allow you to remove the cart from the store, they provided the service of taking the items to your car.

So go ahead and consider me an uncaring, rude, no mannered boil on society because I don't always return my cart, because I honestly don't give a hoot.

Looks like you made her point.

not really -- it's not rude to completely dismiss the opinion of someone else who is intent on criticizing you. ;)

but I don't live my life according to Emily Post, who i think is actually downright arrogant and rude on a few points too.

so.