Menu

Quiverfull philosophy...who here practices?

I know there are several families here who put their family size in the hands of God, and was wondering who was here.

We too believe in quiverfull, but only were able to have 4 living children. So, we are following the fostering/adoption route to continue building our family as God sees fit.

So many people have negative things to say, and I was wondering where I could go to meet other like-minded individuals (forum or mail list maybe?). Feel free to PM me.

Thank you,

Heather

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regretfully, I flaked out and put a medical end to our fertility via pressuring dh. Our greatest regret to date. So, while we failed to practice, we are believers. Children are a blessing from God.

I believe it is the belief and support that matters, not the actual number of children you have.

We also believe in allowing God to be in control of our family size. For medical reasons, I am not supposed to be able to conceive any more children. We were told this after our third son was about a year old. We decided to adopt and have adopted two wonderful daughters. We had our fourth son right in between them, so doctors do not always know! I am now in peri-menopause and am almost 46, so I think I will have to be satisfied with my six.

{{sigh}} I wish I was quiverfull. We are "open" but I cannot with honesty say that I am QF. I'm just fine with having many more dc but not so fine if God says no more; in fact it was going through secondary infertility and many losses that made me realize that there was more to being QF than I'd realized and that I most definitely didn't fit the bill. I doubt that I will ever get to the point of being QF, unfortunately.

{{sigh}} I wish I was quiverfull. We are "open" but I cannot with honesty say that I am QF. I'm just fine with having many more dc but not so fine if God says no more; in fact it was going through secondary infertility and many losses that made me realize that there was more to being QF than I'd realized and that I most definitely didn't fit the bill. I doubt that I will ever get to the point of being QF, unfortunately.

Okay, so you are saying that QF is a number and not a belief? I think I disagree. I believe in QF, even if I am left with just the 4 I already have, I trusted in God for my family size. We are adopting, adding to our brood only as God sees fit.

Heather,

I don't think she's saying that quiverfull is a number as much as being *truly* quiverfull (in my book at least) is being content with the number God gives you, be it many or few. I'd put myself in the place she describes. I'd LOVE to have more than I have, but I struggle with being content if God truly does have only 3 for me. KWIM?

Unfortunately, many I've met (online and irl) who say they're qf really just want as many children as humanly possible and it tends to become a race. More children = more holy person. Preventing = bad but trying to conceive = good. (IMO, both are trying to be in control and not submitting to God's "number", but that's my strict interpretation ;) )

I have a problem with being Quiverfull. That being, I would love to follow, my dh would probably leave me if I did :lol:

TMI ALERT: Not everyone may want to read what comes next..

Seriously though, in my heart, I would love more children, as many as God chose to bless us with. Wolf, on the other hand, has been quite adamant about not having more. So, I don't use birth control, and funny enough, Wolf won't use anything other than the Rhythm Method. I figure if God wants us to have another, we certainly will, given that we're not using anything that's known to be terribly effective :lol:

I see your point Kristin. I may just be using the wrong term using QF. I believe in building my family according ot God's will and not my own, so that is why I say I am QF. However, I will take it as I have what God wants me to have if no more come along.

I think you're using the term as it was originally used. (and as I would define it)

I think that sometimes people *say* they're quiverfull to spiritualize their desire to have lots of kids (NOTHING wrong with wanting a large family IMO) when they really don't have God's will in mind at all (and wouldn't be content if they didn't have lots).

We are not quiverfull but do have a large (according to the main stream) family. I would love to be blessed with an even larger family but dh is happy with the 4 dc we have (I am too of course:) but I would add on until I was unable to conceive any longer). I have found many quiverfull families associated with Nancy Campbell's ministry http://www.aboverubies.org I have worked through some of her books and seen her speak in person. She is insirational. I think Nightline included her in a story about quiverfull families labeling her as the "grandmother" of the quiverfull movement (heard this through the grapevine so don't quote me!).

We are QF, but at this point due to my health are preventing (barrier, and dh must buy them, so if he doesn't, :lol:). We believe that it is the responsible thing to do. Who will take take care of the children God has blessed us with, if I were not able to. I have been that sick. Also, I was sick enough at the end of my last preggy, that my baby suffered from it. To the point that a 9 lb 6 oz baby was in the nicu for 4 days and hospital for another 6. I also, get my cycles back RIGHT away--she is 6 mos, I have had 4 cycles. ;) I want to be able to offer her all the bmilk she will take, and we all know that preggy can take that away. ;)

Believe me, we have been on both sides of this. We had 4 babies, in less then 4 yrs, 4 separate preggys. ;):tongue_smilie::lol: We will take any babies that GOd chooses to over ride and give us with happy open arms. ;)

Okay, so you are saying that QF is a number and not a belief?
No, I'm not saying anything about numbers at all. For me being QF is a heart thing - accepting the # of dc God has for you whether that be zero or twenty, accepting His plan for one's life instead of pursuing one's own will. I don't have that acceptance. I envy those who are able to accept and rejoice in God's will as far as dc are concerned.

We have consciously "deferred" for the last 22 years. We had used non-hormonal bc for only 6 months before then. We neither "tried" nor "tried not" since that time, iykwim. I had two chiildren in my forties and breastfed through the onset of menopause. I haven't cycled for at least 2 years now. I'll be 51 in October and we have 6 children from 28 yrs of marriage...our youngest is 7yo. QF is (or should be) about the heart responding to God's heart. I don't feel it should be preached it at people, it's the business of the Holy Spirit. I also believe He has different callings on different families. Our freedom can be bondage in another person's life..."legalism", if you will. My husband and I have no other view.

Geo

Edited by Geo

No, I'm not saying anything about numbers at all. For me being QF is a heart thing - accepting the # of dc God has for you whether that be zero or twenty, accepting His plan for one's life instead of pursuing one's own will. I don't have that acceptance. I envy those who are able to accept and rejoice in God's will as far as dc are concerned.

So if the number god wants you to have is zero and makes you infertile, wouldn't pursuing adoption be going against god's plan? Biblically, women didn't didn't spend thousands of coins and go a billion miles away for Chinese babies etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

I knew in my heart that it was God's will that we adopt. Once the Holy Spirit spoke to me about adoption, I approached my dh and he gave me the go ahead to call an adoption attorney. I told him I felt that it was urgent, like I was "late." I called the attorney and only spoke to his secretary. Ten days later my first daughter, who was 2 days old, was in my arms. I believe God reveals his will to us if we will listen.

I do believe I am quiverfull. If I was married again or at the very least in a long term stable relationship i would certainly be open to having many many more. I have that mindset/feeling in my heart. For now I am working on being content with the children I have and know that each one was sent by God in the right timing and I know that the losses I had were also in his plan because a) it was not the right time to have those children and b) He knew lossing them all would shape me and the kind of mother I am. I know that if I am meant to have more He will ensure I am in a position to do so.

I knew in my heart that it was God's will that we adopt. Once the Holy Spirit spoke to me about adoption, I approached my dh and he gave me the go ahead to call an adoption attorney. I told him I felt that it was urgent, like I was "late." I called the attorney and only spoke to his secretary. Ten days later my first daughter, who was 2 days old, was in my arms. I believe God reveals his will to us if we will listen.

My sil stold me god and her late dh came to her in a dream together and told her to remarry. They showed her a photograph of the man, even. She's been married 2 months now.

If the number god wants you to have is zero and you don't get pregnant, wouldn't pursuing adoption be going against god's plan? How does one know if infertility (or health issues) isn't god's plan? What if the first adoption falls through, as these things happen, would pursuing another adoption go against god? (And I am not asking for myself. I am not infertile).

I wonder this too. We had infertility issues and chose some medical intervention. We wondered if our infertility was God's plan, but then we thought if God didn't want the intervention to work, then He would still prevent us from having children. We felt like we were seeking God's will in the steps we took, but I don't think wanting to have children and doing what you need to to get them either through medical intervention or through adoption is being quiverful minded. I think it falls more under the "be fruitful and multiply".

:iagree:

Amen!

So if the number god wants you to have is zero and makes you infertile, wouldn't pursuing adoption be going against god's plan? Biblically, women didn't didn't spend thousands of coins and go a billion miles away for Chinese babies etc.

No, but they did look to surrogates via handmaidens

Geo

I never understood this "quiverfull" term, so thank you for helping me understand it.

I don't think being infertile means that God doesn't want you to care for a child. Because there are certainly children who are orphaned, and they still need a caregiver -- I would never want to suggest that God wants young babies whose mothers have died in childbirth to die with them. I think caring for children who are not your own biologically is a truly great thing.

I think it's wonderful to have children, but I know a few people who have very large families where the children seem a bit neglected, and I think that's a case of valuing the quantity over the quality. I also support breastfeeding, and the natural hormone suppression it brings, and it seems to me that some people who seem to be in a rush to "multiply" every year miss out on the health benefits of letting the mother's body rest.

I never understood this "quiverfull" term, so thank you for helping me understand it.

I don't think being infertile means that God doesn't want you to care for a child. Because there are certainly children who are orphaned, and they still need a caregiver -- I would never want to suggest that God wants young babies whose mothers have died in childbirth to die with them. I think caring for children who are not your own biologically is a truly great thing.

I think it's wonderful to have children, but I know a few people who have very large families where the children seem a bit neglected, and I think that's a case of valuing the quantity over the quality. I also support breastfeeding, and the natural hormone suppression it brings, and it seems to me that some people who seem to be in a rush to "multiply" every year miss out on the health benefits of letting the mother's body rest.

My sentiments (1st paragraph)

and

observation (2nd paragraph)... ...to a "T"

Geo

We used to be die hard quiverfull. We've eased up and continue to be against certain forms of bc, thus we are open to more, but feel we are pretty much done for various reasons. Personally, it's between each couple and Gd. There are things in some ppl's lives that others may not understand and could play an important role in certain decisions. However, the principle is to be open to life. I don't think ppl should judge small families, as you don't know why they are small and they love their children just as much. I don't think ppl should judge large families...they may stretch a dollar more than you are comfortable with, but they love and spend time with their children just as much as a small family.

Edited by mommaduck

I don't understand why leaving family size up to God means giving up family planning. I mean, you could pray and then make a decision based on what you feel God wants you to do. And you could argue that God doesn't want the Earth to be overpopulated and that's why he inspired humans to invent birth control.

I don't understand why leaving family size up to God means giving up family planning. I mean, you could pray and then make a decision based on what you feel God wants you to do. And you could argue that God doesn't want the Earth to be overpopulated and that's why he inspired humans to invent birth control.

Some don't believe in overpopulation...just abuse of resources by governments.

Some believe in "dominion theology" where they are trying to "outbreed" the non-Christians (but drat, those Mormons and Muslims keep joining the parade! *I'm being silly saying this as I'm referring to the thoughts of certain types of Christians* ;) )

Some simply believe in being open to life based on principles they find in Scripture.

Some simply don't believe in certain forms of birth control.

I've posted about my regrets regarding my dh's vasectomy. Up until then we relied on God's will for our family, but for various reasons dh felt he needed to do this. I have regretted it ever since.

Ultimately, it's a family's decision with God's help, but for me, I'm still grieving our intervention.

Blessings,

Lisa

It might sound funny, but until I had my fourth baby I was "I'll take as many children as the Lord wants to send me." But now I'm feeling done with infants.

I'll take as many preschoolers as the Lord wants to send me, though.

:lol:

I'm one of those odd people who really enjoys being pregnant, so for me it'd be the opposite. I'd be pregnant 100 more times (give or take a few ;) ), but I don't think I'm up to parenting 100 more kids! (Though 3 or 4 more would be fine :) )

Do you wash your clothes in the river against a rock? Just because it was impossible then, doesn't mean it's wrong now.

Absolutely, and I know families who did just that. In my family, we didn't get a personal peace with it. I believe it is a faith walk. We must be obedient to what we believe God is leading us in.

About the use of birth control; everyone is personally responsible before God alone, so no argument is necessary.

Geo

If it helps, we had "secondary infertility." I have had spans of 8 1/2, 7 and 6 years apart between some of them. Waiting was hard sometimes, but just confirmed to us that God had a very specific plan for our family.

I also had a friend who waited 5 years to become pregnant with each of her two children. Her children represented 10 years of hard work! We discussed this flip-side of trusting God and she decided to relax and follow His lead. Ironically, she became pregnant months later,(18 months after the birth of her 2nd child)...with twins! Actually the babies came every 2 years after that until she became very ill and they decided on a vasectomy....not the ending that she fretted about for so many years.

Not the classic, rosy, QF story I know, but it does demonstrate our tendency to worry about things that never come to pass. Just thought

I'd share.

Geo

I know there are several families here who put their family size in the hands of God, and was wondering who was here.

We too believe in quiverfull, but only were able to have 4 living children. So, we are following the fostering/adoption route to continue building our family as God sees fit.

So many people have negative things to say, and I was wondering where I could go to meet other like-minded individuals (forum or mail list maybe?). Feel free to PM me.

Thank you,

Heather

Well, I'm not religious, so the quiverfull thing is not my bag (;)), but I have a great fondness for large families.

Personally, I've struggled with deciding our family size. We had just agreed to *eventually* have a 5th child when b/c failed and I wound up with a ruptured ectopic. Since then, we've been leaning toward completely shutting down the biological side of parenting.

We are, however, still open to the possibility of adopting from the foster care system, and we feel drawn toward sibling groups of 3 or more! When I mention this to people (adoption in general, not 3 or more, lol) they react as though I'm insane. And maybe I am a little!

I suspect the reaction will be even stronger when/if we actually get serious about the process. But I think it's similar to dealing with people's reactions when it comes to hs'ing. Really, it's none of their flipping business, but we do our best to come up with pat answers.

For me, I tend to answer a simple "Are you crazy?" with "Yes. Yes I am!" When it comes to adoption and people ask why (and seem genuine in wanting to know) I tell them that every child deserves a family, and I have a family to give them. And sometimes I pull the "If not me, then who?" line.

Stock up on bean dip, Heather, and lots of luck to you and your family!

Similar to our experience. We started praying about adoption 6 weeks after we buried our son. 3 days later we were approached by a pregnant woman who asked us to adopt her son. 3 weeks later he was born and we brought him home. For me too, I believe that God builds families the way he sees fit, not our own ways.

My sil stold me god and her late dh came to her in a dream together and told her to remarry. They showed her a photograph of the man, even. She's been married 2 months now.

That is amazing.

I wonder this too. We had infertility issues and chose some medical intervention. We wondered if our infertility was God's plan, but then we thought if God didn't want the intervention to work, then He would still prevent us from having children. We felt like we were seeking God's will in the steps we took, but I don't think wanting to have children and doing what you need to to get them either through medical intervention or through adoption is being quiverful minded. I think it falls more under the "be fruitful and multiply".

We did infertility treatments for 4 years. Through those treatments we conceived our twins (miscarriage at 11 weeks and 14 weeks) and our son (stillborn). Then we adopted shortly after losing our last son. The adoption was abnormally fast and *that* told us that God had intended for us to adopt all along, and that is why our pregnancies and treatments did not work as we had hoped. That is why we have prayerfully moved on to adoption, never preventing a natural pregnancy if we were to be blessed with one.

Well, I'm not religious, so the quiverfull thing is not my bag (;)), but I have a great fondness for large families.

Personally, I've struggled with deciding our family size. We had just agreed to *eventually* have a 5th child when b/c failed and I wound up with a ruptured ectopic. Since then, we've been leaning toward completely shutting down the biological side of parenting.

We are, however, still open to the possibility of adopting from the foster care system, and we feel drawn toward sibling groups of 3 or more! When I mention this to people (adoption in general, not 3 or more, lol) they react as though I'm insane. And maybe I am a little!

I suspect the reaction will be even stronger when/if we actually get serious about the process. But I think it's similar to dealing with people's reactions when it comes to hs'ing. Really, it's none of their flipping business, but we do our best to come up with pat answers.

For me, I tend to answer a simple "Are you crazy?" with "Yes. Yes I am!" When it comes to adoption and people ask why (and seem genuine in wanting to know) I tell them that every child deserves a family, and I have a family to give them. And sometimes I pull the "If not me, then who?" line.

Stock up on bean dip, Heather, and lots of luck to you and your family!

My friend asked me the other day "Are you crazy?" and my reaction was "No. I am not crazy. Well, maybe I am but it is a good kind of crazy and I like it."

our tendency to worry about things that never come to pass. Just thought

I'd share.

Another example (though not a "quiverfull" one!) is all the people who use birth control zealously through their early years, until, when they're 30 or so, they decide to have kids and discover it's quite difficult. I actually know an astonishing number of couples with infertility issues; it seems to be quite common but seems to be not really acknowledged.

We were not qf when we married but met a couple who were. I spent a lot of time with her and really felt that her belief was the right way. We considered naming them as guardians for our dc in our will because of their openness to children and commitment to family.

Unfortunately (I felt) my dh was not convinced in the qf way. We used different methods between the births of our dc (some successfully -- some not, lol). I fretted (a little) over this, but trusted that God would change dh's heart if it was His will. Dh did change his mind about wanting more dc at specific times, and our family grew.

I miscarried 2 little ones and that was an awful loss. I was comforted knowing that I would meet them someday . . .

My 5th full-term pregnancy brought some frightening symptoms and I began to feel I must be too old and not in good enough health for that! That was also the period during which we began seeking evaluations for our ds with an autism spectrum disorder.

After some frightening moments, the delivery went well. I had prayed and prayed asking God to help me live to take care of my dc . . .

Now that we know 2 of our 5 dc have AS disorders, and considering my age, we believe it could be unwise for us to add to our bio family.

Does that mean we don't trust God? I don't think so.

But, no, we're not qf.

Interestingly, our qf friends are now divorced. Of course I don't think their beliefs had anything to do with their difficulties. I just was so shocked when I ran into him last year with his new gf and discovered that she had already remarried.

We have never been comfortable with any kind of birth control and felt that bringing children into our family was above our paygrade, and should be left up to God. I had no idea there was an entire "movement" until my first was 2, and I thought it was pretty neat to find other "freaks" who believed the same way we did. ;)

Our childen have been coming closer together each time, and this pregnancy (#5) has really worn us out. I'm 24 weeks but had a very difficult first trimester, more due to issues outside of the pregnancy but the fatigue and hormonal shifts of that time didn't help either.

My dh has said that we are done, but he's not doing anything to make that permanent, which I'm grateful for, and see him already being open again to God's will as things calm down and he realizes I'm not completely off my rocker anymore. I have really been searching God about this extra hard, since before this pregnancy even, and throughout the difficult times since. I feel more than ever that this is something that should be left up to God, and don't want to take my fertility for granted knowing that I am not guaranteed anymore children, even if we never do a thing to prevent. So I'm trying to roll with it and enjoy this season of my life, giving the glory to God and clinging to Him extra hard.

Probably not. I deeply desire a large family. I have one child and am a bit disgruntled with God about that. I suppose that if I were of a truly quiverful mentality, I'd just be okay with that. Sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not.

On adoption . . . we started to adopt b/f my daughter was born. We sent in the papers on a Friday and on Sunday we took the pregnancy test. So, alas, we stopped the adoption process. A couple of years ago we considered adoption again through Catholic Charities but their cut-off age is 45 which is how old my husband was at the time. Gey aggrivating as you can imagine but my husband was outraged. He is a good husband, wonderful family man, has a good job and is healthy. But he was 45. We considered looking into another organization but decided not to. My husband won't even really talk about it now so I guess that opportunity has passed.

I guess I go through phases. Sometimes I'm sorrowful and really would like lots of little faces around the holiday table. Other times I think one is perfect (if Three is good enough for the Holy Family, it's good enough for us!) and am glad for the way our lives work. Afterall, we are a mighty happy people. That makes it hard to have too many regrets.

We are not quiverful in a typical regard but I do believe that each of our children were placed in our care for a reason.

We used birth control over the years, conceived 3 children, loosing one pregnancy at 22 weeks. Both dh and I were done having kids and we both had procedures, dh at 27yo/me at 30yo, that cemented the fact that we would have no more. I always joked that it would take 2 miracles if God wanted us to conceive again.

FFWD 8 years. My niece lost her baby to the state and we offered to take the baby. We started the legal process to become foster parents and figured if God wanted her with us, it would happen, but we would not intentionally intervene in any grand way. We lived in another state, and it was amazing how things came together for us. She was in our arms in 3mths from start to finish, the caseworkers were dumbfounded that we got all the agencies to coordinate so fast (interstate cases often take 2 years). Many people told us it wasn't possible to be where we were in the proceedings at the time line we were at, and told me I was mistaken.:).

So, while we have definitely not followed a quiverful approach in regard to bc, I do feel that if God intends you to have another child, nothing will stop it. If you only open your heart to it, and believe in his province in the matter.

Just wanted to say something about adoption.

The Bible is full of adoption stories. It tells you that adopting a child is a wonderful blessing. I firmly believe that adopting is just as much a part of 'Quiverfull' as giving birth. God calls us to grow our families, He isn't specific how. I truly believe that some are simply called to adopt, in the same way that God gives us all different callings and talents.

A child coming into the family is a blessing...regardless of the path taken to bring them to the family.

One could easily argue that it wasn't God who inspired bc, just as one could argue that if God ever thinks the Earth is overpopulated that He is sovereign to remedy that.;) (I didn't mean that to sound murderous LOL....if God creates life, He can withold creating life...)

We trust God with our family size...although we don't really call ourselves QF-ers and don't nec. desire a dozen dc (we wouldn't turn them away either). We had 3 dc within 3.5years and then for the last 3 years have had none. I recognize that I'm not guaranteed another fertile month...I'm sure thankful that I didn't prevent in those 3.5 years.

Just wanted to say something about adoption.

The Bible is full of adoption stories. It tells you that adopting a child is a wonderful blessing. I firmly believe that adopting is just as much a part of 'Quiverfull' as giving birth. God calls us to grow our families, He isn't specific how. I truly believe that some are simply called to adopt, in the same way that God gives us all different callings and talents.

A child coming into the family is a blessing...regardless of the path taken to bring them to the family.

Amen!

One could also argue that because reproduction is a biological process in which humans must participate directly, no one completely and entirely leaves family planning up to God. IMHO the real issue is not am I leaving my family size up to God but rather how much control over or involvement in the process may I rightfully take. It's not as if I don't know how babies are made and when it's likely for me to become pregnant, so even if I choose not to use any BC, I can't claim I have no part in determining my family size.

Edited by WordGirl

Sometimes I've wondered about the Quiverfull movement inregards to infertility and adoption. DH and I are infertile and have adopted 3 children from the fostercare system (and are trying to adopt more, but we've been waiting for 2 years now). I guess if we were to take an extreme view of it, we would have to accept that it was God's will that we were to be childless, but I really can't believe that is true. He has blessed us with our children, they are being raised in a Christian home and will be given love, nurturing and every advantage. How could that not be God's will?

We have a large family by today's standards (7 kids) and are open to more, but we aren't technically quiverfull because we have on occasion not wanted to be pregnant and so have prevented (or abstained). We do believe that each child is a blessing from the Lord, and even if we were in a stage of not particularly wanting to be pregnant, we would know that if I were to get pregnant, that the Lord had wanted that to happen! (And that did happen when I got pregnant with #6 when #5 was just 4 months old!)

That being said, there is a blogger named "MamaArcher", and she has a quiverfull blogroll, with lots of blogs of people who are quiverfull, as well as a "quiverfull carnival", where people post things about being quiverfull. I have enjoyed reading many of the blogs, and there are several that I follow on a regular basis because they are very encouraging. Her blog is http://mamaarcher.com/ --look for the "quiverfull" link up near the top.

Then there are some of us that come to all of this later, too late. I have been a Christian for many, many years, but was not particularly growing. Neither was dh. The last 2 years has seen a tremendous growth in our walk, leading to homeschooling and even the desire for more children.

Unfortunately I just turned 42 and think that my cycles are in their decline. Not only that, it was very difficult to conceive my ds and I lost 2 in between my dd and him. And then I had preeclampsia so badly with my pg with him that I almost died. Really. My dh is terrified of me getting pg and going through that again and losing me.

We had to make the decision that this was the family God had planned for us. We are both open to other options I think, but I don't think either of us is feeling led to be proactive in that way.