Menu

How many hours per day do you read aloud?

HappyGrace

I know I'm not doing it enough with my dc (6 and 9)-especially older dd since she's been reading on her own, and younger ds plays Legos so independently I forget to read much to him!

I wondered about how much time is "average" that people are spending! Thanks!

(Was there already a thread on this?)

I'll bite!:D

Read-alouds are another thing I love about home schooling! I have two groups of kids to read to, olders and youngers, with scheduling we don't always sit and read long every day. With some books we get really hooked and will spend an entire afternoon reading the whole thing. We've also really had fun getting the cd versions for when we have to be in the car. I think it's the together time that makes it the best part of our day. As to your question it probably averages out over the week to around 2 - 3 hours a day.

On average about 2 hours a day. I usually read about an hour in the morning and then about an hour before bed.

Lately, my kids have been wanting to listen to an audiobook at night (about 70 minutes = 1 CD) so I read a really quick book to them (3-4 minutes like Fancy Nancy or Where the Wild Things Are) so that I can kind of snuggle with them, then they go to bed and listen to the CD.

If we are going to be in the car for an hour or so, I read a quick book in the morning and we will listen to an audiobook in the car.

I love reading to my kids and I love audiobooks so for me, I never let it slip because I just really miss it. If my kids could read themselves, I'm sure it would be much less (maybe 15 minutes).

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

On a school day I will read aloud maybe about 2-3 hours total.

We have always read before bed, which is about 30 minutes of read aloud time per kid. Then I also read aloud quite a bit for school. So per kid, I would guess they get maybe an hour+ each.

Edited by EKS

Like a previous poster, it depends. If we have a really good book, we'll read several times a day, usually about 30-40 minutes each time, so 2-3 hours. Some days, much less. Dd reads a lot on her own, too, so sometimes, if we don't have something gripping, it's more like an hour or so.

I usually read two short books a day, one history book a day and then chapters out of our story of the week and bible reading each day. It ends up being about 2-3 hours split up over the day. My kids still require my help when reading on their own so I feel like all I am doing is reading ... instructions, lesson plans, books ....

Counting history reading?

2-3 hours.

If we're just talking "for fun" reading - 2 hours probably. All 3 of my older kids LOVE to be read to, so if I am getting ready to read to one, the other two come running with a book as well, so I wind up reading some from all 3 selections. :-)

I read between an hour and two each day, depending on the book(s) we're reading.

My daughter loves to be read to, so my (older) son reads to her about 20-30 minutes each day - usually in the car, or while she bathes, or while I'm getting meals ready. It's really bonded them.

For some reason, none of us are big on audiobooks. I wish we were TBH LOL.

What you need is a really good one to get you hooked then you'll be requesting them one after another from the library! :tongue_smilie:

:bigear: Throw one at me!!

the only audio I could ever get through was Peter & The Wolf, as narrated by Patrick Stewart ... aka Captain Luc Picard. I'd listen to that man read a list of my faults and still be swooning LOL.

:bigear: Throw one at me!!

the only audio I could ever get through was Peter & The Wolf, as narrated by Patrick Stewart ... aka Captain Luc Picard. I'd listen to that man read a list of my faults and still be swooning LOL.

How about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Or for a collection of short stories by William Steig (The One and Only Shrek)? Here you can sample the audio at this site! My kids love this one.

Or probably my son's favorite: Greek Myths by Jim Weiss. He loves the story of Hercules.

oh and /Charlie and the Chocolate Factory read by Eric Idle is great too!

or Peter Pan read by Jim Dale, or Mr. Popper's Penguins read by Paul Hecht, or Winnie the Pooh read by Peter Denis.... :D

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

How about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Or for a collection of short stories by William Steig (The One and Only Shrek)? Here you can sample the audio at this site! My kids love this one.

Or probably my son's favorite: Greek Myths by Jim Weiss. He loves the story of Hercules.

oh and /Charlie and the Chocolate Factory read by Eric Idle is great too!

or Peter Pan read by Jim Dale, or Mr. Popper's Penguins read by Paul Hecht, or Winnie the Pooh read by Peter Denis.... :D

We've read most of those, so maybe already KNOWING the story will help us get used to someone else reading it :) I keep hearing about this Weiss guy, and my son LOVED greek myths ... we're gonna start with that one. I reserved it at our library, and we'll give it a go this weekend!

I aim for two 45-minute sessions per day, one in the afternoon (usually some history reading ends up in this time slot), and another at bedtime. DS doesn't always make it through all the bedtime reading, but he gets his own 20 - 30 minute read-aloud time with me while dd does her daily assigned reading. We also do an audio book each week, which is usally another 3 - 5 hours of listening for them.

Are those 2-3 hours over and above the "reading" for stuff like science and history, etc. Or does that include the things you read during the day for various subjects? If it's over and above, WOW, I need to get on the ball!

Hot Lava Mama

It has been over and above simply because we have not been doing a formal curriculum to this point;)

It really depends on the day, but it seems that we have a good hour in the morning. Then if we are working on a history or science unit, more time in the afternoon (maybe 15-30 mins). Then if there is time at night, we can snuggle in the bed for another 30 minutes after Daddy has Bible reading w/ them.

Good post and responses.

:D Try his version of The Last Battle (from CS Lewis' Narnia series).

I have a sad, sad confession. I don't real aloud to my children anymore. I got out of the habit a few years ago...not sure what 'started' it, maybe a move. One of my personal hang-ups is a friend of mine who reads ALL DAY to her children to the exclusion of everything else. So her children can't read, or handle basic math. They are just terribly behind. I am so freaked out by the situation that I tell myself it is better my children can read themselves, which they do. My children are voracious readers.

We do read for family devotions and we all enjoy that tremendously.

I really need to get back into it. I know it is bad, really bad but I am so out of the habit.

I am hanging my head in shame!

Michelle

I don't know the actual "time" we put in each day, but usually we read at least 3 of his books before bedtime. He is still in picture books, obviously, so we are reading stuff like Where the Wild Things Are, etc.

Now that we have started 'back to school', we have an additional 1-2 stories during our 'daily meeting' time when we do the calendar and story.

So I guess ours is probably realistically more like 15-20 minutes a day...like I said, I have never really 'timed' it to know for sure...He just kinda started asking for 3 books at bedtime, so we have just always done 3 books, unless he asks for more. ;D

My kids are a bit older and could well read everything for themselves, but we read 45-60 min/day. I often read again at bedtime with my younger still. My oldest loves read-alouds but doesn't want to slow down his pace for them at bedtime :001_smile:

I think it is still important for kids to hear the flow of language, to hear expression and to spend the cuddle quality time together as long as they will. It is a great way to make a 12 yo boy think its ok to cuddle up with his mom and then have a shared experience to discuss!

I'm mainly afterschooling but we read between 20-45 minutes a day. Usually the girls will read one of their HoP books to dad then I read them a chapter from our current read aloud and usually a picture book. This is our bedtime routine and I love it. If we're lucky enought to be in a position where I can be a SAHM and homeschool then we'll probably be reading a lot more because we're all big readers.

Well, I have only one Sonlight core (Core 3) going right now, so with the read-aloud from that + a story from a book of short stories so probably about an hour a day more or less.

I don't aim for any specific time though and I do not usually read from history or science texts, directions etc (unless there's a reason). All of my kids are readers and unless something is unclear, they read that themselves. They also read way more on their own than I could ever handle reading to them--even the five year old. They're all reading now...

Once I add that second Sonlight Core (Core 5), it'll pick up a bit. I'm also adding a few read-alouds from Core K this year, since I decided not to do the whole core for my 1st grader, but some of the books look really good. I'll probably spread those out over two years.

After a while, I get hoarse. The kids always want to chat about the book while we are reading. (I guess that's one way to know they're listening! :laugh:) It can be a lot of talking!

I hope my voice holds out. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by darlasowders

Oh heavens! LOL We are using Heart of Dakota, so most of the reading I do is for that curriculum and with 2 kids - one of whom is still an "emerging reader."

For my older son, I spend 1 hour in the mornings reading aloud and working with him on his read aloud story, history, science, and WWE (which requires *some* reading). For my younger son, we spend a good hour or more a day as well - sometimes more on the same subjects. I read all of his History to him as well as a read aloud.

Across two kids, I probably spend about 1-1 1/2 hours reading aloud each day. We're always working through a fiction read aloud for dd9. Sometimes I will read her history to her, but she does that independently most of the time. Her read loud usually takes 30 minutes. Ds5 has a separate fiction read aloud we work through. He also gets Bible and History read to him. If I find the time I try to also read something short to dd3. Most of the time, she has to piggyback with her older siblings though. I don't think she picks up on anything, but you never know.

Are those 2-3 hours over and above the "reading" for stuff like science and history, etc. Or does that include the things you read during the day for various subjects? If it's over and above, WOW, I need to get on the ball!

Hot Lava Mama

My 2-3 hours is over and above science/history but it includes two groups of children.:001_smile: