Menu

A funny about HAND BEDETS...

Since someone asked about the hand bedets in Malaysia:

First, if you didn't already know, the public bathrooms here do NOT have toilet paper...at all. Instead they have "hand bedets" which is basically a handheld shower head that you are supposed to use to wash your "private area" after you use the toilet. Then I guess you just drip dry? The other problem, of course, is that water (and other things I don't want to think about) sprays everywhere.

So our pastor's wife needed to use the bathroom at a restaurant but she was not about to SIT on the toilet seat as it was wet and disgusting. So she did what most women do in that situation...she "hovered".

Well, unfortunately, she lost her balance, fell against the stall wall, her purse strap got tangled with the hand bedet and water started shooting upwards EVERYWHERE. It soaked her AND the lady in the next stall who started screaming and ran out. :lol::lol::lol:

So yeah, I carry toilet paper in my purse.

Okay, I really got used to the bedets and wondered why we couldn't import them to America. I never used one that was like the one you describe, thought. It was an adjustable, gentle stream of water. I loved them and wish we had them. I even have considered installing one if we ever build a house.

Now, I'll admit that a public bedet sounds gross and drip dry sounds inconvenient so I don't blame you there.

Still, I would love to have one in my house.

LOL! Yes, definitely carry toilet paper! In the Philippines you have to pay an attendant if you want toilet paper.

I don't know about Malaysia but I know that in Tunisia and perhaps some other countries, you wipe only with your left hand. It is considered very rude to use your left hand to eat with etc. I don't know how lefties survive there.

You are way more adventurous than I ever could be. I can't imagine surviving there for a week, let alone two years.

DH would be all for it...in fact, he'd love it if you needed a IT person or even computer teacher. The kids and I probably wouldn't make it though.

Combine a hand bedet with a "squat pot" and you have something even funnier! I am supposed to squat over a hole in the floor to do my business? I am way too prissy to do that. :D

Without getting too graphic. Buy yourself one of those small folding aluminum and fabric stools, cut a large hole in the center and stitch the remaining fabric. Carry this in your car, it makes a perfectly good ersatz toilet when you need to use the Asian toilets. Simply set it up over the hole and.....

LOL! Yes, definitely carry toilet paper! In the Philippines you have to pay an attendant if you want toilet paper.

I don't know about Malaysia but I know that in Tunisia and perhaps some other countries, you wipe only with your left hand. It is considered very rude to use your left hand to eat with etc. I don't know how lefties survive there.

Most of us Lefties are fairly ambidextrous. The main concern is when it comes to writing...that has to be done left handed. And for some, using scissors (I'm blessed in that I have to use my right hand for that).

I am supposed to squat over a hole in the floor to do my business? I am way too prissy to do that. :D

Well, *ahem*, if you think about it, it could actually be healthier for your digestive system!:D

Between this and the traffic, it sounds like you are in the thick of culture shock. Yep, you'll adapt after awhile, when you start figuring out how locals do things and why they do them the way they do and accepting the practices. (while keeping yourself clean and safe, ha ha!)

I think you mean "bidet."
I'm the spelling culprit, here. :blush: I take full credit for starting this misspelling!

Regarding the hand bidets: The thing I cannot stand is the fact that they are always lying on the floor in lots of liquid mess. If they are hung up, it's hard to imagine they weren't lying on the floor previously. I'm sorry, but I don't see how public hand bidets could possibly be sanitary. :ack2:

I think you mean "bidet."

Yes, a bidet. Now the thread makes much more sense.

Hey, I grew up going fishing in the mountains. We always carried our own toilet paper. In a pinch, a splash of Sundrop soda if, well, you know.

Yup, squatting behind the biggest evergreen we could find, trying to avoid the poison ivy, keeping an eye out for adventurous wildlife, and wiping with a paper towel you found under the seat of the pickup. Malaysia's got nothing on the Blue Ridge Mountains. :lol:

Wow. I would really be in trouble there. I eat left handed. I *can* manage with my right, but it's awfully wobbly. It makes my six year old look graceful. And TMI I can only wipe with my right hand.

Just so you know, there are bidets and then there are hand bidets. A normal bidet is a regular toilet with a water squirt function (either attached or to the side). The Japanese have perfected this to an art object. Their toilets need instruction manuals so that you know which button is the seat warmer, which is the normal spray, which is "turbo!" and which is the warm air blow dryer.

A hand bidet is basically a hose attached to a little faucet that has a shower sprayer on the end. Definitely not as fancy!

The Indians here do only eat with their right hand. I have not noticed it as much with the other groups. You also conduct business with only your right hand (give/accept money or business cards, etc.).

The folding cloth chair with a hole in it is a GREAT idea! And I am going to have wet wipes and tissue wherever we go.

The toilet thing is more funny than shocking but the traffic? That is just ridiculous.

I was using a Asian toilet when I was 9 months pregnant with first dd. I gained 75 pounds with her and found that I could not get up from the squatting position without falling over or touching some questionable areas so I yelled for my hubby to come and help me. Of course, he thought something was wrong so he came barreling into the ladies restroom which caused a bit of a rucus but when the ladies figured out what the problem was they were quite amused. And then there was the jeep-ney ride down the mountain with no more than two wheels actually attached to the ground at any given time complete with swerving, honking, yelling, chickens hawking, people handing out the windows and so on. Good times, I tell ya.

It was much easier to make the cultural adjustment to Germany. A home bidet is one of the great inventions in life. If you turn around and sit on it backwards it can be incredibly soothing for bladder infections or other feminine discomforts. Plus the kids think it is just the best play fountain ever. Had to make sure I kept that scrumptuously clean. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG... that deserves the missionary award! Our group gives it out to those who brave the grossest or not-the-greatest overseas bathroom. Yikes.

(Thanks for the tip... I will carry TP when I travel overseas.)

When we 1st moved over here, DH had a rather unfortunate incident with the toilets here.

He was visiting a museum/heritage site, and needed to use the bathroom.

Now back in Oz, most male public toilets have a trough (sp?) area where you urinate, and then the toilets are for #2's ( or for those that like their privacy).

DH walked in the loos, and proceeded to urinate in one of the smaller, lower than usual basins.

It was only when another man entered the toilet and started yelling at DH, that poor DH realised he was weeing in the HAND BASIN!!!!

:lol:

He left pretty quickly, after apologizing profusely!

When we 1st moved over here, DH had a rather unfortunate incident with the toilets here.

He was visiting a museum/heritage site, and needed to use the bathroom.

Now back in Oz, most male public toilets have a trough (sp?) area where you urinate, and then the toilets are for #2's ( or for those that like their privacy).

DH walked in the loos, and proceeded to urinate in one of the smaller, lower than usual basins.

It was only when another man entered the toilet and started yelling at DH, that poor DH realised he was weeing in the HAND BASIN!!!!

:lol:

He left pretty quickly, after apologizing profusely!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love squatty potties, as we call them! They are getting harder to find in Korea.:glare: I think they are far more sanitary, myself. Nothing touches ANYTHING, even the flush is on the floor. Its easier to squat than hover high above a western style toilet, and who wants to sit on one of those??

My girls are pros at the squatty potty and prefer them, too.

We carry our own paper.

ROFL, oh Heather! You're just a trooper!

We moved into a new home just before Christmas and *ahem, please use a fawncy shmawncy accent here* across from the grand 2-person jacuzzi is a wonderful porcelain and brass bidet, featuring triple speeds and custom temperature settings... *end accent*

:001_huh:

ummm... I detest that thing. It sits there, covered in dust, completely forlorn and neglected. I want it gone. I mean, that's just too personal to be sitting out there in the open like that. Can you imagine giving Uncle Fred a tour of the new house? "oh, and here's my giant douche!"

nuh-uh.

I love squatty potties, as we call them! They are getting harder to find in Korea.:glare: I think they are far more sanitary, myself. Nothing touches ANYTHING, even the flush is on the floor. Its easier to squat than hover high above a western style toilet, and who wants to sit on one of those??

My girls are pros at the squatty potty and prefer them, too.

We carry our own paper.

OK, here is a practical question for you. So you are in the restroom to use the squat pot. Now you have to get pretty low to the floor in order to ...umm...aim correctly. How do you do that without getting your pants dirty on the floor? Do you roll them up to your knees first?

We have the same kind of toilets here, and I think the key is to squat correctly, i.e. flat footed as opposed to on your tiptoes. Then if you just sort of pull your pants out toward the front of you while you "go", you'll be fine. At least, that is what works for me. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure!

Elaine

OK, here is a practical question for you. So you are in the restroom to use the squat pot. Now you have to get pretty low to the floor in order to ...umm...aim correctly. How do you do that without getting your pants dirty on the floor? Do you roll them up to your knees first?

The problem my boys had was that their trousers were not wide enough for them to be able to crunch them down and also place a foot on each pedestal, so I did a lot of trouser holding when they were small. The alternative is for the adult to squat, holding the child with its back against their chest, with hands under the knees and bottom aimed at trough. I never had good enough balance for that one.

Laura

Can you imagine giving Uncle Fred a tour of the new house? "oh, and here's my giant douche!"

nuh-uh.

OK, I'm not even exaggerating when I say I nearly fell off the couch laughing when I read this :lol::lol::lol: I was trying so hard to stay away from this thread, because, well, you know...ugh! But that was the best laugh I've had all week!

Now I have a question. Are you not SUPPOSED to use TP in the restrooms? Is that why there's none there? I remember when we were on our honeymoon in Greece (on Santorini and Mykonos), there were signs in all the bathrooms that said that we weren't allowed to throw TP in the toilet, it had to go in the garbage cans. Apparently the plumbing infrastructure was so old as to not be able to handle toilet paper :confused: That was disconcerting, to say the least. So I'm wondering if carrying your own TP might be some kind of other problem. However, given the situation, it's possible that you simply do not care if that's the issue... :lol:

Heather, you are indeed a trooper. This whole thing would bother me far, far more than the traffic, I must say.

Without getting too graphic. Buy yourself one of those small folding aluminum and fabric stools, cut a large hole in the center and stitch the remaining fabric. Carry this in your car, it makes a perfectly good ersatz toilet when you need to use the Asian toilets. Simply set it up over the hole and.....

How ingenious! :lol:

Their toilets need instruction manuals so that you know which button is the seat warmer, which is the normal spray, which is "turbo!" and which is the warm air blow dryer.

"Turbo" you say? Now it's getting interesting...And seat warmers sound good for cold winter nights....:lol:

You definitely need to squat "Asian style" to use a squatty potty- too unstable otherwise! Usually my pants (TMI alert!) are bunched below my knees, and above my ankles, and I haven't had any "incidents".

All the weird buttons on the regular toilets are too scary, too! Some play music, some spray water of differing temps, just too overwhelming for me!

Lol.

I have been to India several times and they actually ask you not to use tp where I have stayed, because their pipes are too narrow and they get blocked easily.

The toilets where I have stayed are always a nice ceramic hole . They would come and clean them every day though. Easy to clean because you could just throw a bucket of water and give it a quick swish. The airport was worse than where I stayed- it stank.

I dont mind squatting and have flexible hips. I think its a healthy pose to do your business :)

They didnt have bidets. They had a plastic jug and a tap.

You know, Indians told me that they thought toilet paper seemed terribly unhygeinic to them. I guess it's what you are used to.

THe other thing I got used to and ended up enjoying were bucket baths. I stayed in fairly cheap accomodation and instead of showers you would get a nappy bucket sized bucket, a plastic jug, and hopefully hot water. I was in the north in winter- very cold. But its amazing, you can acutally wash your hair and get a really decent wash with just a bucket of water. It showed me how much water wastage there is in the West.