Menu

How do you store pencils, crayons, glue sticks etc

Especially if you have more than a few DC? Every year I start off with a pencil box for each DC filled with pencils, crayons, glue sticks, rulers etc. By December the pencil cases are trashed and not a pencil in sight. :glare:

I need to do something different this year. Number one is working on taking care of our possessions and not losing/trashing things, but other than that I need a system that works. I am thinking of instead of individual boxes, having a large container for each item. We can grab the colored pencils as we need them and so on.

Not sure on pencils though. I was thinking of a large box for these too and each day they can get a pencil and get going, BUT I can see them just grabbing a new one each day until the box is empty. Just where DO all these pencils go? :confused: :D

So, do I color code them? Small container for each? Large container for all? Just keep buying box after box of yellow pencils and buy stock in Staples? :lol: Seriously, how do you keep from losing pencils and your mind?

Especially if you have more than a few DC? Every year I start off with a pencil box for each DC filled with pencils, crayons, glue sticks, rulers etc. By December the pencil cases are trashed and not a pencil in sight. :glare:

I need to do something different this year. Number one is working on taking care of our possessions and not losing/trashing things, but other than that I need a system that works. I am thinking of instead of individual boxes, having a large container for each item. We can grab the colored pencils as we need them and so on.

Not sure on pencils though. I was thinking of a large box for these too and each day they can get a pencil and get going, BUT I can see them just grabbing a new one each day until the box is empty. Just where DO all these pencils go? :confused: :D

So, do I color code them? Small container for each? Large container for all? Just keep buying box after box of yellow pencils and buy stock in Staples? :lol: Seriously, how do you keep from losing pencils and your mind?

We have a small plastic bin that has drawers in it, similar to those large three-drawer carts with wheels. I just used a sharpie to write what goes in the drawer onto the front of the drawers. We have two of them, and they are stackable. We don't stack ours, but put them beside each other on a bookshelf. HTH

ETA: We buy the small boxes of primary color crayons when they are on sale, and write the children's names on the boxes. I keep these separate from the ones they use for free drawing/coloring books. We keep the small boxes in one of the drawers, and I only pull those out when it's school time. I can see doing the same thing for pencils- write their names on one pencil each (with a sharpie) and making sure they use THEIR pencil for school time. That can help you keep up with who loses theirs, when they should need replaced, etc.

Edited by secular_mom

I have a plastic box in the junk drawer in the kitchen for "general writing implements," but our school room has a 6 drawer, wooden organizer thingy where we store stickers, post-it notes, markers, crayons, pencils and tape. The Prismacolor pencils are in their tin, but the organizer holds the cheapies.

It's right on the homeschool table. You can see in this picture that Nature Girl took out one of the drawers to use in the living room. She needs to return it!

I have a plastic bin for crayons because we have so many. I have a box for pencils. Everything else we use regularly (scissors, glue, colored pencils, markers, etc) I keep in round containers on a lazy susan that stays in the middle of our school table. It's easier for me to keep track of them that way.

I find the kids keep track of supplies better if they have a place next to the text books to return the pencils (not a separate place) Or a cup on their desk. I find that if they have to open something to put it away, it is much too hard for them :lol: and most don't end up there.

You can create little flags on the pencils with names if you need too. I buy copious amounts of pencils, when they are cheap, so that it isn't a concern throughout the year. I usually buy twice the amount I expect to need, so that I always have extras...we will just use them the next year if there are left overs. If you color code the flags or use names, you will know who left out the pencil on the counter, or who is burning through them faster than others. If you don't like the flag idea, you can use a fine point sharpie on a yellow pencil (FYI: Black Warriors come in yellow too).

One thing I have found that helps, is to not put out a bunch of pencils at once. If we only have a small handful out, they are much more likely to 'remember' where they left their last pencil, before they will come asking for more.

About once a year, we do a pencil hunt and I bribe the kids with a fun activity, to gather as many pencils as they can find. It usually goes something like this...find 20 pencils and I will take them to the park, find 20 more and I will throw in a picnic. :0) It is amazing what they can find with a little motivation.

picture.php?albumid=295&pictureid=We homeschool in our great room which I guess would be most people's living room. I have buffet that we use for supplies. The top drawer has small, plastic, interlocking pins that I keep our supplies in.

picture.php?albumid=295&pictureid=1374picture.php?albumid=295&pictureid=1373

The kitchen table where we work is just a few feet away.

album.php?albumid=295&pictureid=1374

Edited by swimmermom3
Truly technical difficulties.

Well, I keep ours on our school table. I made a supply center out of a lazy susan and pails that I bought out in the $1 section at Target. I change the pails out for each season, just to keep things decorative. For example, the pails that are out now are red, white, and blue with decorative stars for the summer. I then label the pails: pencils, markers, scissors, pens, crayons, and glue. Everything is in one place for them to grab. I keep the extra stock in a drawer in my desk. :001_smile:

No help. I've tried everything -- lots out at once, rationing, labels on the pencils, pencil cases that travel with the kid. Nothing works. If I put a new pencil in the cup on my desk, it's gone within an hour, AND the kid who took it comes looking for another one because it has already a) been sharpened down to the nub or b) disappeared forever into the black hole of writing utensils. The black hole finds that Mirado Black Warriors are especially nutritious.

I have two school tables, one for littles and one for my older child.

My oldest son has two round containers, old grits or oatmeal tubs work well. In one he has coloring pencils and markers, in the other regular pencils and pens.

My little guys have a similar set up but with short "golf" pencils and chubby little crayons and markers.

It is really easy for them to grab what they need and put it back when they are done.

Glue and other supplies are stored in a tupperware box on a high shelf!

We have seven kids and my experience with individual pencil boxes is much like yours. If fact I just put four of those boxes into my Goodwill pile. :tongue_smilie:

My best solution is a lazy susan in the middle of the school table. I have 6 sections: pencils, scissors, pens, highlighters, hole-punch/stapler, and rulers/gluesticks. I buy a box of glue sticks at Sam's every school year and keep those in a drawer in the schoolroom. ( I try not to allow them to open more than 2 or 3 gluesticks at a time.)

I also keep 2 plastic boxes with handles,one for colored pencils and one for crayons. These boxes are portable and have their own space on a schoolroom bookshelf.

HTH,

Leanna

Peanut butter jars from Costco.

Those are plastic, so they don't break. They stack pretty well. They are transparent, so you can see which one to grab. The lids screw on, so they are securely fastenable.

One or two for each category works well--markers, Sharpies, pencils, pens, colored pencils once the Prismacolor box is ruined. They are not great for crayons, (too tall), but those tend to have decently sturdy boxes that they come in. Quick, easy clean up.

http://www.target.com/Rolling-10-Drawer-Craft-Organizer-Cart/dp/B000S12SII/sr=1-1/qid=1247256326/ref=sr_1_1/185-3706210-0520039?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k%3Acraft%20drawers&page=1

colored pencils (all other forms of color have been banned!) in one drawer with a manual pencil sharpener. It's handy because I can easily slide out the drawer and put it on the table. There's enough space that they don't have to dig around fight. Also it holds more than one searching hand :D

another drawer with rulers, compasses, sissors, etc.

another will be glue -- when the littles are old enough to stop using them as white board markers.

another for white board markers :)

another for scrap paper for paper airplanes.

I've got a system that works great for us. I pick up smallish metal buckets (usually at Target $1 bins). I have one for scissors-including fancy scrapebooky scissors, glue and glue sticks, everyday pencils and pens and one of different hole punches. They sit lined up on a shelf or in the middle of our table. These would also work for colored pencils and crayons if you don't have a giant amount. Growing up, our crayons and markers were in old decorated paint cans. Variation on the same idea.

HTH

Peanut butter jars from Costco.

Those are plastic, so they don't break. They stack pretty well. They are transparent, so you can see which one to grab. The lids screw on, so they are securely fastenable.

One or two for each category works well--markers, Sharpies, pencils, pens, colored pencils once the Prismacolor box is ruined. They are not great for crayons, (too tall), but those tend to have decently sturdy boxes that they come in. Quick, easy clean up.

if you have no peanut allergies the cashew jar containers work great too.

http://www.target.com/Rolling-10-Drawer-Craft-Organizer-Cart/dp/B000S12SII/sr=1-1/qid=1247256326/ref=sr_1_1/185-3706210-0520039?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k%3Acraft%20drawers&page=1

colored pencils (all other forms of color have been banned!) in one drawer with a manual pencil sharpener. It's handy because I can easily slide out the drawer and put it on the table. There's enough space that they don't have to dig around fight. Also it holds more than one searching hand :D

another drawer with rulers, compasses, sissors, etc.

another will be glue -- when the littles are old enough to stop using them as white board markers.

another for white board markers :)

another for scrap paper for paper airplanes.

forgot to add there's a pencil jar on top for pencils that need sharpening. And the pencil sharpener is right next to it.

I really want the IKEA Trofast unit that hands on the wall.... i never can find a picture of it online though.

These "drawers" http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70091412

This wall unit: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20114883

Oh here, finally a picture (but not over a desk like they have it in the store!)

We have several Trofast units in the kids' rooms. We tried one out in the school room and the drawers are too big to function well to hold school supplies.

We have several Trofast units in the kids' rooms. We tried one out in the school room and the drawers are too big to function well to hold school supplies.

Do you have the small wall one?

I swear the one in the store are smaller, but they show it above a desk. Those bins are about 1/2 the size of the ones we have for their bedrooms. (not big enough for a piece of paper even)

If you saw the area around their desk - you'd go wtih the, "hey, you NEED something there!" Theme! LOL!!!

These are the dimensions:

Length: 7 Ă‚Â¾ "

Width: 11 Ă‚Â¾ "

Height: 4 "

And then the ones we have for the normal frames are:

Length: 16 Ă‚Â½ "

Do you have the small wall one?

I swear the one in the store are smaller, but they show it above a desk. Those bins are about 1/2 the size of the ones we have for their bedrooms. (not big enough for a piece of paper even)

If you saw the area around their desk - you'd go wtih the, "hey, you NEED something there!" Theme! LOL!!!

These are the dimensions:

Length: 7 Ă‚Â¾ "

And then the ones we have for the normal frames are:

Length: 16 Ă‚Â½ "

Oooh, I have not seen the smaller size bins. If you get them let me know how they work out! I'd love to know!

I have also tried a bunch of different options. This year's plan is to use a sixpack package covered in contact paper and reinforced on the bottom with cardboard. I am planning to put in glue, pencils, scissors, and rulers and 2 more things maybe markers and colored pencils. Then I can take it to the table and and use it when we want to and there is no lid ( which is an issue for my kids for some reason)

This is the plan, but I have yet to implement it.

Katy

Oooh, I have not seen the smaller size bins. If you get them let me know how they work out! I'd love to know!

HMPH. I get to be the guinea pig?

Of course, then i'd have to brag about how great it was - and then you could be jealous you couldn't snag it easy! :tongue_smilie:

I seriously might grab it soon, i sit there with DD daily staring at the spot it would go on the wall.

HMPH. I get to be the guinea pig?

Of course, then i'd have to brag about how great it was - and then you could be jealous you couldn't snag it easy! :tongue_smilie:

I seriously might grab it soon, i sit there with DD daily staring at the spot it would go on the wall.

I *seriously* can not snag it easily, LOL! I miss IKEA. :(

I sort it all in various glass canning jars. They are clear, so you can see what's in there. Plus, it looks rather nice. I do the same with paintbrushes.

Ooooo...I like that idea. We school in our dining room, so most of our school things have to stay camouflaged when school time is over. I have a big hutch next to our table, and I can see nice quart Mason jars all in a row, filled with school goodies. Does everyone else here love buying new school supplies as much as I do? :001_tt1: As far as organizing tips from our house...we keep reading books and teacher materials inside a coffee table that opens up (doors in front and a lift top). Yep, our dining room is in the living room. Next to the table, we have a small 3 drawer plastic bin hiding beside the hutch. That holds the girl's workbooks, art supplies, and their school boxes. I buy supplies in bulk and store them inside a huge plastic fishing tackle box that is *my* school box. The girls replace their used-up things with new ones from my box. I'm going to try the canning jar idea, though.

I didn't read all the replies (I promised myself I'd be off the boards by 10:30), but my dc get pencils w/their names on it every Christmas from one of the catalogs. This helps a little bit. DD9 gets possessive of hers and takes better care of them. The other two are hopeless.

Laura

I have two Sterilite Mini 3 drawer units (Sterilite 2073). I know my Dollar General sells them, but I think you can also buy them at Walmart and other places.

This gives me 6 drawers, which are easily removable by me and the kids. The colored pencil drawer can be placed on the table when needed, and stacked away easily when done (by the kids). One drawer is pencils, and that drawer never comes out, as a rule. Once a week or so I'll go through that drawer and pick out pencils to sharpen (the sharpener is behind the locked basement door, as it is way too much of a fun distraction). Markers are in a photo box on a higher shelf - it prevents daily scrub downs of the 3 year old. My six drawers have: 1) crayons, 2) Color-wonder markers, 3) so-big crayons, 4) colored pencils, 5) regular pencils, 6) glue and scissors.

I also have a flower pot on our school table with pencils - prevents getting up and down.

To store less frequently needed supplies, I stocked up on those plastic pencil cases a couple years ago from Staples. They are stackable and easy to label. In those I have rubber bands, extra supply of glue sticks, extra supply of pencils, and whatnot.

My SIL recently bought a small item spinning unit for her preschool desk. She stocked it with paper clips, brads, and other small crafty items. I've been contemplating it... but I think then I would enjoy filling it up way too much! :lol:

Well, I only have 2 kids, but I use the Sterilite tall rolling drawers for a lot of our school supplies. That's where glue sticks, tape, markers, crayons, etc. go. I have a mini bucket for pencils and a magnetic caddy that sticks to the side of the fridge for the scissors (as mine are still fairly young). Colored pencils are in a pencil box that's stored in the Sterilite cart.

I have one of those three drawer storage things. I use it to store all of our supplies like pencils, pens, highlighters, paper. etc etc.

Here is how it works-

I toss the pencils, pens, paper, or whatever else into a drawer. Then it disappears into thin air, so when I need it , it's nowhere to be seen.:glare:

I need a new system, too.

We have clear plastic shoe boxes lined up on a shelf in the school room. One for colored pencils, one for markers, one for crayons, and one for pencils and erasers. They do need replenishing, but it helps that whenever we clean up, everyone KNOWS where all of the pencils (or crayons, etc.) go.

I have one of those three drawer storage things. I use it to store all of our supplies like pencils, pens, highlighters, paper. etc etc.

Here is how it works-

I toss the pencils, pens, paper, or whatever else into a drawer. Then it disappears into thin air, so when I need it , it's nowhere to be seen.:glare:

I need a new system, too.

Funny, we have the exact same system! :D In our case, I don't think the system is the problem, if you know what I mean.

I color coded our pencils and created a contest for my children, he who kept his two color coded pencils the longest won a prize. If I found a pencil out of place, I was allowed to pick it up and keep it in my desk. This worked for awhile. Down side is the losers know they are losing and don't find motivation to return to the game. If you think of a way to modify this game, I'm all :bigear:.

Regarding art supplies (colored pencils, crayons, glue and such), I keep these separate in our art section, each in their own containers. As long as art is consistently done in the same room it's not a problem. When we begin doing art in other parts of the house, we lose items.

Here's a tip if you have a lot of colored pencils, crayons, or markers of various sizes, store them in those plastic wipe containers. Personally, I re-stock colored pencils, crayons, and markers each year as they go on sale and keep our total to a minimum amount which helps motivate us to keep them together. I do _not_ purchase individual sets for all of my children. Less clutter for me. :)

If all else fails, try the lectures I used to hear in school as a child. "If a carpenter showed up to work without his tools he would be fired." Of course, as a child I thought, "Yes, but the children who forget their pencils really don't want to do their school work and would probably love to be fired." :001_huh:

Enjoy your days!

Basket catches rulers, glue sticks, unsharpened pencils, index cards, and other misc supplies that are needed "at times".

Each kid has plastic pencil box with 2-4 pencils ready for school, a big fat eraser, and his own scissors. DD always keeps a couple of hard lemon drops in hers .... so funny.

Sterlite or rubbermaid shoebox holds crayons. Another holds colored pencils. We don' t use them as often & they stay in the art bench (storage bench). Basket of other supplies has space on bookshelf b/c they are needed more often.

Have a friend who has a couple of coffee cans covered in craft paper (more fun than folgers labels).... and they are full of pencils (#1) and rulers/scissors etc (#2). Super cheap! Kids just stick pencil in their notebook for the daily use.

I buy a box of glue sticks at Sam's every school year and keep those in a drawer in the schoolroom. ( I try not to allow them to open more than 2 or 3 gluesticks at a time.)

When do they get to the age where they only go through one box of glue sticks a year? :001_smile: I have mine on a high shelf, so they don't get free access, but I still pretty much let them do a "project" whenever they want. We're probably going through 2-3 boxes of glue sticks per year.

I used to have them in Ikea drawers like this

But the children didn't keep them sorted.

Now I have a lot of old glass jars from jams and condiments. Colour pencils are sorted into colour groups. I have jars for the following:

paintbrushes

pencils

sketching pencils

pens

And a small dish for pencil sharpeners and erasers etc.

Edited by keptwoman

I have two Sterilite Mini 3 drawer units (Sterilite 2073). I know my Dollar General sells them, but I think you can also buy them at Walmart and other places.

This gives me 6 drawers, which are easily removable by me and the kids. The colored pencil drawer can be placed on the table when needed, and stacked away easily when done (by the kids). One drawer is pencils, and that drawer never comes out, as a rule. Once a week or so I'll go through that drawer and pick out pencils to sharpen (the sharpener is behind the locked basement door, as it is way too much of a fun distraction). Markers are in a photo box on a higher shelf - it prevents daily scrub downs of the 3 year old. My six drawers have: 1) crayons, 2) Color-wonder markers, 3) so-big crayons, 4) colored pencils, 5) regular pencils, 6) glue and scissors.

I also have a flower pot on our school table with pencils - prevents getting up and down.

To store less frequently needed supplies, I stocked up on those plastic pencil cases a couple years ago from Staples. They are stackable and easy to label. In those I have rubber bands, extra supply of glue sticks, extra supply of pencils, and whatnot.

My SIL recently bought a small item spinning unit for her preschool desk. She stocked it with paper clips, brads, and other small crafty items. I've been contemplating it... but I think then I would enjoy filling it up way too much! :lol:

You inspired me to tackle the craft cabinet. I wish I could find the camera to take a picture, but every pencil, pen, gluestick, rubber stamp, piece of paper, etc, has a home and is neatly put away! And, that's inspired me to organize other areas! :D

No help. I've tried everything -- lots out at once, rationing, labels on the pencils, pencil cases that travel with the kid. Nothing works. If I put a new pencil in the cup on my desk, it's gone within an hour, AND the kid who took it comes looking for another one because it has already a) been sharpened down to the nub or b) disappeared forever into the black hole of writing utensils. The black hole finds that Mirado Black Warriors are especially nutritious.

Me too. Besides is Qof10 hasn't figured it out, what hope is there for the rest of us?

LOL I so relate to this. I even bought one of those pens that CHAIN to the desk, like banks have. kwim? They broke off the chain and the pen went into the abyss. :lol:

I found these at Walmart with 5 drawers instead of 3: http://www.sterilite.com/ProductDetail.html?ProductId=479&Section=Storage

I have one for each girl with her name on it.

They are labled-

Crayons

Colored Pencils

Markers

Scissors, Pens, & Pencils

Glue & Tape

They can carry it to any place in the house they want to craft. There is no fighting over colors, whether one used too much glue or all the tape, ect.. ;). It works great!

I also have a sepearate little box with things they share-

Hole punches of different shapes

Small stapler

Rulers and water color paints (each one has their own, with their name on it) are also in this box because they are too long to fit in the drawers.

Edited by coralloyd

For pencils I use a huge ziplock freezer bag. It goes into my supply cabinet at the end of the day. I thiink there is cloe to 100 pencils in there. For colouring stuff I use plastic hinged shoe box things from the $ store. For scissors I use paint brush holder, it is great and holds all our scissors. For the rest of our odds and ends I use small rubberaid totes that I keep in my supply cabinet.