Menu

Anyone watching the MJ memorial?

But somehow I think it was for drama than for anything else. I'm not saying at all she didn't mean what she said or she's not grieving, but was used. NEVER would come the day I'd stick my kid up there for her grief to be publicized. I mean what was the purpose in that? That disgusts me.

They showed the clip of her on the news. I thought it was a little strange that all the family was touching her, patting her etc. the whole time. She seemed like she was closest ot Janet as she hugged her afterwards.

I wish the public would show up in similar numbers at the funerals of Purple Heart recipients, heroic firefighters, policemen, good samaritans and the like...

Lisa

:iagree:

The people you listed are the true heroes...the ones who lived their lives quietly and just gave their all in service to others.

There's just so much else going on in my personal world that takes presdence over MJ's memorial. Like a nap. :glare: A friend of mine, when hearing that fans had to enter a draw for a chance to attend the memorial likened it to Willy Wonka for adults..."I've got a golden ticket!" Ridiculous in the extreme, which about suits the way he lived, imo.

I feel badly for his children.

They showed the clip of her on the news. I thought it was a little strange that all the family was touching her, patting her etc. the whole time. She seemed like she was closest ot Janet as she hugged her afterwards.

You know, I can't help but think that if she were the 11 year old daughter of some sainted Christian homeschooling mom who got up to speak at her mother's funeral, this board would need a dump truck full of kleenex to staunch our tears. But because little Paris, who, despite the family in which she was raised is no different from any other little girl who lost a beloved parent, chose to participate in the ceremony and articulate her grief, it's wrong?

And if the little homeschooled girl were standing on the altar of the church, summoning up the courage to speak in front of THOUSANDS of people, would it be wrong that the family would be standing close and comforting her? Would we be saying things like, "Ooh! Don't you think they were TOUCHING her too much?" Come on! SHE"S ELEVEN YEARS OLD! STANDING IN FRONT OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, with images of her DAD, the only parent she's ever known, flashing all around her!! Say what you will about Michael Jackson. He was a public figure. His kids definitely were not.

You know, sometimes I just shake my head.

astrid

You know, I can't help but think that if she were the 11 year old daughter of some sainted Christian homeschooling mom who got up to speak at her mother's funeral, this board would need a dump truck full of kleenex to staunch our tears. But because little Paris, who, despite the family in which she was raised is no different from any other little girl who lost a beloved parent, chose to participate in the ceremony and articulate her grief, it's wrong?

And if the little homeschooled girl were standing on the altar of the church, summoning up the courage to speak in front of THOUSANDS of people, would it be wrong that the family would be standing close and comforting her? Would we be saying things like, "Ooh! Don't you think they were TOUCHING her too much?" Come on! SHE"S ELEVEN YEARS OLD! STANDING IN FRONT OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, with images of her DAD, the only parent she's ever known, flashing all around her!! Say what you will about Michael Jackson. He was a public figure. His kids definitely were not.

astrid

I nev er said one negative thing about her. :001_smile:

astrid

I didn't comment about her at all...in fact, I said I feel badly for his children, and I do.

I never got the impression Paris was forced to speak or was used for drama. From what I saw, it looked voluntary--that she wanted to say what she said. I had no problem with the family touching and comforting her; I was glad she had the support around her. As I've said before, my heart breaks for the children who've lost their father.

just a few thoughts: i read that the casket was gold-plated and cost $25,000. now, having very little money and trying to be frugal, my brother and i couldn't find a casket for either of our parents for less than $3000. i've polled a few people and most seemed to have paid between $8000 - $12,000 for a relative's casket. given their wealth, for the Jackson's to have only spend $25,000 seems almost miserly. and FWIW, i want to be cremated as i think even $3000 is too much to bury in the ground.

as for the daughter speaking at the service, i seriously doubt she was made to do it. given her age, it is more likely she was asked how/if she wanted to participate. it was brave of her to do so at such an emotional gathering.

i haven't watched any of the coverage. MJ's passing reminds me that I am getting on in years and that the artists who made the soundtracks to my life are passing, so it's all been a bit to poignant. i did see a photo of his two older children today and i was touched. it reminded me that, for all his virtues and vices, he was someone's dad, was loved, and will be missed.

I never got the impression Paris was forced to speak or was used for drama. From what I saw, it looked voluntary--that she wanted to say what she said. I had no problem with the family touching and comforting her; I was glad she had the support around her. As I've said before, my heart breaks for the children who've lost their father.

I got the impression they were trying their best to comfort the kids.

From what the father and brother said earlier, they did see the kids while Michael was alive, but not nearly as much as the other kids in the family. I think they're trying hard to "enfold" them.

I got the impression they were trying their best to comfort the kids.

From what the father and brother said earlier, they did see the kids while Michael was alive, but not nearly as much as the other kids in the family. I think they're trying hard to "enfold" them.

After reading some posts after what I posted, and thinking about it, I do see the above bolded as the case here. My initial reaction to seeing the clip of her speaking was first tears at her devastation over her loss, and then I felt like the family was overcrowding her and their toching her etc. was over the top. Now that you posted the above this makes sense.

astrid

:iagree: Just exactly what I was thinking- but you said it better. All I could think was how brave she was to get up there. She wanted us to know how much her daddy meant to her. And how much she loved him.

Yes, all of that is true. But knowing the kind of lavish living MJ did even though he was going further and further into debt by the *millions* just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (Among other things.) Not that he had to have a pine box by any means. lol

It seems like the tribute/memorial, from all accounts, was actually pretty subdued and thoughtful and in good taste, so I'm glad for his children's sake.

For me when it comes down to it...

3 children have lost a father ( my father died when I was 9 so I know this pain and my heart breaks for them)

siblings have lost their brother ( my brother died 9 years ago at thte age of 45(same age our father died) and I know this pain)

a mother has lost her son

lose is lose no matter who you are or how much fame and fortune you have

My prayers are that the children will be well cared for. I was not... my mother got involved with men that mole*ted me and she stole the trust fund that was set up for me. My father had been a notable person in the area where we lived and his death was "in the news" at the time. The children have to be in a state of shock.

Frankly I could care less about what the talking heads are saying on TV, I don't watch them. I did watch a little of the memorial, and the people who spoke seemed to be speaking from personal experience and the heart. I was especially touched by what Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter had to say.

Now I hope the media will let this family mourn in peace and someone loving and responsible will care for the children

Karen

I haven't read the past 8 pages, so if someone else noticed this: from http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/54003/buzz-log-the-most-memorable-moments-from-the-michael-jackson-memorial/

"To Jackson's kids he (Reverand Al Sharpton)said: 'There wasn't nothing strange about your daddy.'"

Yup. :lol:

I do feel bad for his kids, who have lost their dad. And his family and for the sad life he lived.

I haven't read the past 8 pages, so if someone else noticed this: from http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/54003/buzz-log-the-most-memorable-moments-from-the-michael-jackson-memorial/

"To Jackson's kids he (Reverand Al Sharpton)said: 'There wasn't nothing strange about your daddy.'"

Yup. :lol:

I do feel bad for his kids, who have lost their dad. And his family and for the sad life he lived.

He went on to say that what their daddy had to endure was strange. And that would be correct.

astrid

:iagree: You put it so eloquently I couldn't improved on it. From watching the service it did not look to me that she was forced to speak, it looked to me like it was a spontaneous action of a dear child in extreme grief. Of course family was there to comfort her. She's not my family, but if I was physically that close to a dear child experiencing those dire emotions I would be hugging and comforting her as best I could. :grouphug:

No, they lost me at "gold casket" well over a week ago.

A Gold Casket? I'm not trying to be mean. However, we are in a recession/depression. If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to dig him back up and steal the casket for money. People will do anything to survive.

Mr Jackson was a huge part of my youth . I am willing to bet he was a hero to those young men who could sing and dance but not play sports or did not fit into the tidy neat categories that jr high and high school seem to force people into. Of course that does not enter one's mind unless you happen to have been that kid... His music was played at my high school prom. I was a member of the first mixed race couple at my local high school prom. Part of the reason it was even remotely safe to try to attend had to do with the cultural phenomenon that was Michael Jackson . I am surprised that I even have to try to explain this but such is the myopic privilege of being caucasian and middle class. If for no other reason he helped young people who had never had a friend of a different race due to geography , ethnocentrism or racism , to envision themselves as being capable of crossing a barrier that still wounds and divides our country. Was he a saint?? No. I do not think there are many around anymore. To deny his importance to the arts , including music, dance and film, is inconceivable. His cultural contributions were enormous as well. If you wish to focus on unproven claims as mitigating against all his achievements as a young black man in our country that is your business. I do not want the public to read this board and think that all people who home educate hold the same positions or beliefs on this and many other matters.

My dh taped it for me b/c I had to work. I enjoyed the memorial service. I definitely don't understand what was so "creepy" about it. It was a beautiful service with family, friends, and fans paying their respect to a loved one. Thanks for saying something positive. :)

Well, since I work with the extremely mentally ill, I will note that the patients who feel they are a deity were upset by the tribute and started screaming and carrying on so badly we had to turn it off. I think it was indignation that a mere mortal was getting treated like a deity should be.

(The only other time I remember anything having to be turned off was when we had a patient who broke glass whenever his team lost.)

astrid

amen!

Well, since I work with the extremely mentally ill, I will note that the patients who feel they are a deity were upset by the tribute and started screaming and carrying on so badly we had to turn it off. I think it was indignation that a mere mortal was getting treated like a deity should be.

That is hilarious beyond words.

I was thinking as I heard all these people fawning on and on -- people need to go to houses of worship more often.

It surprises me that a singer who hasn't put out very big hits in over 15 years is being discussed as if life has changed in some shocking way since he died, as if he has been continuously influencing people's lives in an ongoing, reciprocal way for decades. if there is no other purpose in life, and no one else to inspire them or influence them at all. It's great to like someone's music, but I fail to see that the vast majority of these people didn't know him personally. To be devastated by the death of one's mother or spouse or child is obviously understandable. To be thrown out of one's lifestyle by the death of a celebrity (I've seen people on TV talking about how they haven't slept, aren't able to focus, etc), and the seeming shock that someone died at all, strikes me as .... unfortunate.

This board is too funny.

It surprises me that a singer who hasn't put out very big hits in over 15 years is being discussed as if life has changed in some shocking way since he died, as if he has been continuously influencing people's lives in an ongoing, reciprocal way for decades. if there is no other purpose in life, and no one else to inspire them or influence them at all. It's great to like someone's music, but I fail to see that the vast majority of these people didn't know him personally. To be devastated by the death of one's mother or spouse or child is obviously understandable. To be thrown out of one's lifestyle by the death of a celebrity (I've seen people on TV talking about how they haven't slept, aren't able to focus, etc), and the seeming shock that someone died at all, strikes me as .... unfortunate.

This board is too funny.

I am not a big fan of Michael Jackson, though I can appreciate his accomplishments and generous donations over the years. I can also appreciate that you do not. Your PP stated people fawning should go worship in a house of God. Because people, in your opinion, fawn over someone they don't personally know they should go to church? If people liked him, let them mourn or express themselves however they choose. Wouldn't that be the Christian thing to do? Let people be and let God pass judgment. Yes, you are right this board is too funny.

I am not a big fan of Michael Jackson, though I can appreciate his accomplishments and generous donations over the years. I can also appreciate that you do not. Your PP stated people fawning should go worship in a house of God. Because people, in your opinion, fawn over someone they don't personally know they should go to church? If people liked him, let them mourn or express themselves however they choose. Wouldn't that be the Christian thing to do? Let people be and let God pass judgment. Yes, you are right this board is too funny.

The run amok sensitivity of this board is what is a bit funny. :blink: A (rather odd) celebrity died, obviously those close to him are saddened, but people who don't personally know him are desperate for a piece of him because they boogied to one of his albums as a teenager, and I think that's a worthy area of a head shake and chuckle or two. ;)

The run amok sensitivity of this board is what is a bit funny. :blink: A (rather odd) celebrity died, obviously those close to him are saddened, but people who don't personally know him are desperate for a piece of him because they boogied to one of his albums as a teenager, and I think that's a worthy area of a head shake and chuckle or two. ;)

I agree, a head shake and a chuckle but saying they need to go to church? That's just as weird to me. I agree about the sensitivity and perhaps I was being defensive. I apologize. Somehow everything gets turned into a religious debate around here. I understand that 75 percent of this board is Christian (to varying degrees) but sometimes it feels well ... hypocritical. :001_smile:

I agree, a head shake and a chuckle but saying they need to go to church? That's just as weird to me. I agree about the sensitivity and perhaps I was being defensive. I apologize. Somehow everything gets turned into a religious debate around here. I understand that 75 percent of this board is Christian (to varying degrees) but sometimes it feels well ... hypocritical. :001_smile:

Holy cow! Er, not to offend, how about, by crickie! I understand your irritation with people being less than sensitive to someone's death, but that was maybe, perhaps, mildly over the line...

:grouphug:

Some people just aren't fans (me) and for some, they find it ironic that so many people would mourn and things for someone who's dead while neglecting their own souls.

:grouphug:

It's alllll gooooood.

What is ironic about this board is that the same people who will fight endlessly for the right to worship and believe as they please seem to think that they have the right to judge the dress, marriage, sexual identity, literature etc. of others and to impose their beliefs on the rest of the country. You cannot have it both ways, worship and believe as you will but please politely ignore the rest of us rather than try to legislate/impose your particular type of morality on others.

What is ironic about this board is that the same people who will fight endlessly for the right to worship and believe as they please seem to think that they have the right to judge the dress, marriage, sexual identity, literature etc. of others and to impose their beliefs on the rest of the country. You cannot have it both ways, worship and believe as you will but please politely ignore the rest of us rather than try to legislate/impose your particular type of morality on others.

Thank you, that's what I meant. :blush:

Nope, didn't watch any of it. Not because I'm for or against anything about him. I'm boycotting as much celebrity "news" as possible. This is something that I've been doing for a couple years. I know my small boycott won't make much difference, but until the news goes back to reporting news instead of gossip, I refuse to participate.

Well, I watched all of it. I have been a big fan of MJ (and yes, we've called him that for some time) since I was eleven years old. I think it's time to stop all the carry-on in the media about what he did and didn't do in life, time to leave his grieving family alone, and just take one his message:

"Heal the World', and

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change".

Pretty good advice, really. Like him or not, he did fabulous work with the needy, and gave much more than any of us are ever likely to.

:iagree:

The people you listed are the true heroes...the ones who lived their lives quietly and just gave their all in service to others.

Please, never let this happen. Military service members and their families are not in the public eye. They don't want to be. I would hate to see anything like this happen. Bad enough we have to have lines of people blocking the busload of Phelps family members. They should be able to grieve in private.

The fact that Michael Jackson was someone who lived his entire life in the public eye, died young and under mysterious circumstances meant that the grief would be public. I think the family probably did the best they could in unfortunate surroundings.