Menu

Jon and Kate: The big announcement is out ...

They filed for divorce today.

So, what do you think? I don't watch the show, but I've read enough. I did the see original shows. What a shame. I was really hoping the announcement would be something like:

We've come to realize that this show has been a curse to our family. Thank you for your time, America, but we're stopping production of this show, entering counseling, and are going to try to rebuild our lives. Please give us our privacy; by doing this you'll be helping us fix so much of the damage we've done to our relationship and our kids.

Sigh ... too bad, huh?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what do you think? I don't watch the show, but I've read enough. I did the see original shows. What a shame. I was really hoping the announcement would be something like:

We've come to realize that this show has been a curse to our family. Thank you for your time, America, but we're stopping production of this show, entering counseling, and are going to try to rebuild our lives. Please give us our privacy; by doing this you'll be helping us fix so much of the damage we've done to our relationship and our kids.

Sigh ... too bad, huh?

Ha, yes, that would have been great. Too bad.

I feel very, very angry. Having faced what seemed like a marriage that was truly over twice, having made the decision to stick with my dh and make things work, having kept my commitment I made to him for better or for worse, having not given in to my own hurt feelings (or he, his) I feel such anger when I hear of divorce. And the children...I'd love to adopt them.

My thoughts. Don't divorce. Go to counseling first and then see what happens. You can still live apart and be married.

I think the problem is that working on a marriage is super hard (going through this right now) and if you can afford to take care of yourself I think it seems easier to just quit.

I don't think you should quit, I just know that if I could have taken care of us financially I would have left already. I really would have....it would have solved my need to deal with the pain, even though the long term would have sucked! Instead I was kind of stuck, but it's turned out to be a blessing and incentive for us to go to counseling and finally work on things.

That's just how I see their situation......

Edited by mommybee

Yep. Very sad. I guess that vow renewal in Hawaii last year was more about getting a beautiful gown from Kleinfelters (sp?) and having a dream vacation.

I saw Kate's brother and sister in law ("Aunt Jody") on the CBS Early show a while back. They both said that the marriage was tanking then, but TLC asked them to renew their vows in Hawaii for ratings and they agreed.

So sad.

astrid

:)

I feel very, very angry. Having faced what seemed like a marriage that was truly over twice, having made the decision to stick with my dh and make things work, having kept my commitment I made to him for better or for worse, having not given in to my own hurt feelings (or he, his) I feel such anger when I hear of divorce. And the children...I'd love to adopt them.

Kudos to you for sticking it out and making it work. Not everyone's capable of that kind of effort, though. I'm perplexed as to why hearing about divorce makes you angry. It just makes me woefully sad for alll involved.

astrid

So, what do you think?

I think that there is absolutely NOWHERE I can go that this is not a topic and I thank the gods and goddesses that my own crappy relationship is at least not fodder for the millions. Although I guess it makes other people feel better about their own situations, so maybe there is something positive to come out of Jon and Kate's situation.

Sigh ... too bad, huh?

I was thinking the same thing. This is no surprise. It is the easy way out of their problems.

This makes me so sad. I haven't been able to watch the show since the beginning of this season. It made me sick to my stomach. Those poor kids.

:iagree:

I think it is very sad. I'd hate to have TLC and their contract with them involved in how I conduct my marriage and family life. Someday, the pendulum will swing away from these horrible reality shows. It can't be soon enough to suit me.

Me neither. They just make me shudder! And every time I turn on the TV, there's another family, selling their souls for ratings. Maybe the whole Jon & Kate thing will make families realize that the money that comes with instant fame for fertility or whatever the commodity is that they've sold isn't worth the toll it will eventually take on their family and marriage.

astrid

Wow. The stressers on a marriage with multiples is tremendous in any situation. Given the fact that they've allowed their 15 minutes of fame to add to their stress when their family life was in peril, well it doesn't surprise me but it does make me sad for all involved.

I'll go out on a limb and say that while I recognize that a show can be editted to reflect whatever the producers and whomever wants a situation to be...there were plainly obvious signs that the marriage relationship was in trouble very early on. The manner in which Kate spoke to Jon in conversation during the early years was evidence enough and I believe I saw a show before the younger set of children turned 2.

Not placing all of the blame on Kate as she was the more verbal of the two--however I do think that the fame of the show fueled her justification of her actions, along with the ratings. I pray that they can cut the show loose and put their family back together.

And not to be crass...but who will she have advice for (books, speaking engagements, etc) that is relevant if they divorce? Octo-Mom?

Do you think if they were never on TV.....would they still be together?

Personally, my money would be on "NO." From the first years of the show, before the kids were a year old, there was something there. A lack of respect from Kate, a silent resentment from Jon, absent extended family.... The giant snowball it became only fueled those, and now there's probably no one on earth who's surprised.

Just my opinion, of course.

astrid

And not to be crass...but who will she have advice for (books, speaking engagements, etc) that is relevant if they divorce? Octo-Mom?

I could never understand who would take her advice on anything in the first place!

I wonder if TLC is planning a spin-off show...*Kate Has Eight and is Lookin ' For a Mate* Forgive me...extremely tacky and crude. :tongue_smilie: I feel so badly for those sweet children, and the thought of a lot of this being caused by the love of money or fame makes me want to cry.

I think it is very sad. I'd hate to have TLC and their contract with them involved in how I conduct my marriage and family life. Someday, the pendulum will swing away from these horrible reality shows. It can't be soon enough to suit me.

Those poor children.

I wish they'd go and see a good counselor and LISTEN! It would seem that if Kate could be kinder and more respectful to Jon and Jon could man up and pitch in more, the two of them could make a go of it and not destroy their children's lives. But, of course, that would take maturity and selflessness, two qualities that are in very low supply. :(

I wonder if TLC is planning a spin-off show...*Kate Has Eight and is Lookin ' For a Mate* Forgive me...extremely tacky and crude. :tongue_smilie: I feel so badly for those sweet children, and the thought of a lot of this being caused by the love of money or fame makes me want to cry.

Sorry, but this made my LOL. I do feel extremely bad for the children and the fishbowl they live in.

Rita

People Magazine did a profile on them, and it talked about how they met. Basically, she saw him, talked and flirted with him for a while, found out he had a girlfriend. The girlfriend was gone the next day.

Frankly, I don't understand women who lure their men away from other women, and are shocked and indignant when the man strays. I mean, hello? Can you say BIG RED FLAG? Run away!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I just finished watching the show and he(Jon) is one spoiled little boy let me tell you. I am amazed that so many people blame Kate for this--no matter what her tone of voice or her attitude he put his pen*s before his family! How can she be blamed for that?

I feel sad about it all. Those children, like all other children, just want their mommy and daddy to love each other. I really do think they have hope to repair and renew their relationship. But *they* don't believe there is hope, apparently. IMO, it's too soon to give up. Everything is still too hot. You can really only make progress once things have cooled down. Too bad they are throwing in the towel because there is so much at stake here--so many young lives impacted.

And I can't help but wonder, How many potential mates are going to want to marry into a family with 8 kids? It would take quite a person to do that.

I think Kate was blind sided. I think she truly believed that he was ok with her bossiness. He said on the show over and over that was just the way they were and had to be in order to take care of their family. I think fame and money went to his head. I think he is lazy. I think Kate should have realized how she sounded on tv and changed. She is devastated and he is excited about the new chapter in his life. I wish they would have been encouraged to go to counseling and work together for the kids.

God bless,

Vicki

I'm perplexed as to why hearing about divorce makes you angry. It just makes me woefully sad for alll involved.

It makes me angry because it just does! My biological parents divorced, my mom divorced my stepdad, my sister has divorced twice, another sister once and I hate it!!! I hate the effect it has on children, especially. Except in cases of true spousal abuse I say grow up, stick it out, commit to something that is less than ideal. I guess I should apologize for this harshness but man, I just burn inside at the very thought of divorce (especially when there are kids involved). Lately it has made me even more angry because at church we had a marriage renewal Sunday and the elderly couples who have been married for 60+ years shared what they had gone through in their married lives, the challenges and how they each had times when they had to commit to stay even when they didn't want to. What a testimony they were to the younger couples, most of whom (like myself) can't imagine going through anything close to what these dear couples went through.

The earlier shows made me believe that, if they could have a strong marriage with eight kids, my husband and I could have a strong marriage with only three. Yes Kate acted shrewish with her husband, but so have I when I've been exhausted and frustated. Jon seemed very passive, but my husband has been at times too. I had hoped that somewhere along the line Kate would learn to think before she spoke and be careful of her tone of voice. I had hoped that Jon would stop being so passive and resentful. I know it is just a reality TV show and we only see what TLC wants us to see, but I am disappointed.I wanted them to work out their problems. This show could have gone in a completely different direction and been a testament to a succesful marriage and family. I guess I am just naĂƒÂ¯ve. I hope that in the future they can pull together for their children and not let their differences interfere. I feel for those children. Having to endure their parents divorce will be difficult enough without adding the media into the mix. Sorry so long!

I just finished watching the show and he(Jon) is one spoiled little boy let me tell you. I am amazed that so many people blame Kate for this--no matter what her tone of voice or her attitude he put his pen*s before his family! How can she be blamed for that?

You've got to be kidding? I have never seen a woman emasculate a man more - and infront of millions no less! She is horid. My husband predicted this divorce the first time he ever saw just 10 minutes of the show. He said, "No man can take being treated like that for long. They'll get divorced soon enough." That was YEARS ago. A man who has had his manliness stomped on continuously for years, at some point will try to prove he still has a pair. I'm not saying what he did was right. He never should have allowed himself to be treated like that in the first place. But she certainly contributed her 50% to their problems and then some.

I am devastated for the kids. I come from a broken family and it stinks. They need their mommy AND daddy and this is terrible for them. Too bad mom and dad didn't turn off the cameras and get some counceling years ago. Just awefull....:sad:

Ps. I am not a fan or watcher of this show. I have only caught it a couple of times over the years. But everytime I did see it, I cringed to see the way Kate treated Jon. Just disgraceful.

Edited by katemary63

There are other ways for a man to stand up for himself than to cheat on his wife and children. Running around with a woman half your age is no way to prove what a "man" you are! And, I happen to think that if many of us had to raise 9 children that are all the same age no less--and yes, I am counting Jon as one of the children because that is the way he acts--we would maybe be a little harsh with our tone.

You know, I never took fault with them for the way they are. Is she difficult? Yes. Is he lazy/a push over? Seemingly so. But they married each other and seemed to compliment one another. Did they have work to do? Yes, but so do dh and I. Marriage is all about the refining of self through the looking glass of your spouse.

What absolutely pisses me off is not their personalities or faults, it is their insistence on continuing this show when it's obvious that it is damaging their marriage and family. That is what I just don't get. at. all.

Airing their grievances in public for all their poor children to watch and hear about in school from their friends is the most selfish , grotesque thing I have seen. I have been a lawyer since 1993 and thought I had seen it all...In Iowa this pair would be in a course, Children in the Middle, a class for divorcing parents. Not for their benefit but for the children. These two are the most self indulgent, self pitying , irresponsible pair, to have all this misery, anger , despair out there for all the world to see.Nice of them to each proffer that they "don't hate the other." Even better the poor children can watch this years from now and reflect on all the things they could have done differently. Nice job. Hope there is tons of cash for the therapy and support groups these children will need.I have never watched the show until tonight. I had a 20 year old gogo dancer as a client that had more integrity and decency. Much more. Truly, this is a type of public airing of information that will damage these children. Pull this in Iowa and you get supervised visitation.If you are lucky. Ask the moron on the opposing side of a divorce if he should have criticized his wife and belittled her cruelly on his myspace page...He has not seen his kids for months as he has to go to anger management class and children in the middle class before he can see them at all. I hope the judge in this case reads them both the riot act and their attorneys as well. It is rare for me to be so ....conservative ,as those who post here often are well aware. This is just common sense and I hope that when the dust settles some person who lives in the real world puts these cretins in their place.

There are other ways for a man to stand up for himself than to cheat on his wife and children. Running around with a woman half your age is no way to prove what a "man" you are!

Of course this is 100% true. I was NOT excusing him. He is 100% wrong in his behavior also.

Sigh ... too bad, huh?

From what I've read (I don't watch the show anymore... too sad), it sounds like the marriage was in trouble for a long time. And there is a report that J&K were always combative -- according to Aunt Jodi and Uncle Kevin.

Personally, I think it is obvious Kate has some type of control issue or personality disorder. She just seems a bit off with the constant sniping and demasculating of her husband, Jon. And her fear of germs. And not letting the kids get messy. And everything has to be perfect. OCD? Anxiety disorder? Years ago, before TLC called it Jon and Kate Plus 8 -- it was a documentary of them with the one year old babies in their first home. Back then, hubby and I watched the show and hubby said, "That man looks so angry and trapped. And she is a real witch." Go figure.

Jon just seemed so passive -- now it looks like the worm has turned and has a backbone. I am sad to see him sow his oats -- but honestly think a lot of his pent up anger and carousing is pretty much caused by all of the years of Kate tearing him down. He was the only one who stuck with her for close to 10 years and put up with her. Now has checked out and is done with her. You can see it in his eyes. So sad.

I just think the show should end and those poor kids need someone to love them. I hope Jodi and Kevin can be back in their lives? I don't think Kate is going to be there for the kid's emotional needs -- she isn't the warm caring or huggy type of mom, ya know? She cut off her parents years ago. Cut off communication with Jodi & Kevin. Now her soon to be ex. She is going to end up rich and alone. Oh my. I fear the divorce will be taped and drawn out on TLC for all to watch. Ugh. Those poor kids are being used by their parents and media. They will be screwed up.

Finally, my last issue with these two is they are hiding behind their faith and using it to make $$$ via talking at churches, fairs, etc. I am a little disappointed with the goal of them cashing in on their TLC fame with the church circuit -- and now finding out all along their characters were not what they projected on TV. Constant fighting and god knows what really went on behind the scenes. Now they want to be filmed as divorcing and still being there for their kids? I don't know... just seems very self centered and hey-look-at-me mentality. Both of them need to grow up and get counseling.

Edited by tex-mex

These two are the most self indulgent, self pitying , irresponsible pair, to have all this misery, anger , despair out there for all the world to see.Nice of them to each proffer that they "don't hate the other." Even better the poor children can watch this years from now and reflect on all the things they could have done differently.

So would you expect that either/both parties will be using video that didn't air to bolster their side of the divorce?

Would you anticipate that there would be attornies appointed to represent the kids? It would seem to me that income from the show should be put aside into trust for the kids' benefit.

I caught a snippet on tv speculating that Jon was off flat shopping in Trump Tower. I could only wonder what he does that he'd have income to support a lifestyle like that.

So would you expect that either/both parties will be using video that didn't air to bolster their side of the divorce?

Would you anticipate that there would be attornies appointed to represent the kids? It would seem to me that income from the show should be put aside into trust for the kids' benefit.

I caught a snippet on tv speculating that Jon was off flat shopping in Trump Tower. I could only wonder what he does that he'd have income to support a lifestyle like that.

TLC pays each of them $75K an episode... and they agreed this season to film forty episodes. So far, they've filmed over 100 episodes. They've made a heck of a LOT of moola. Plus Kate made $$$ from her 3 books and speaking engagments. She has a deal for some kids clothing company to design clothing. She advertises as a spokesperson for some food item in NYC. Don't know if any is set aside for the kids in a trust. In early episodes, they would complain in their second home how she has to coupon shop and save money when they were (and still are) making tons of money pimping their kids to TLC.

I am assuming Kate filed in PA for the divorce -- it sounds like they will divide the millions they have and Kate will end up living in the 1.1 million dollar home with the kids full time. Jon comes in for scheduled visits (according to Kate) and she takes off somewhere. Sounds like Jon is shopping for a place in NYC and thinking of working there.

Edited by tex-mex

I never saw the show (don't have cable) and so I have mostly stayed out of these Jon and Kate threads since I don't know what's going on, but this one I've read and it prompted me to google the couple. I read this and in light of the discussion here it has made me very very sad. :(

http://www.sixgosselins.com/about/about.html

this part in particular....

"All in all, we are so glad we are on this journey. It has been so positive overall and has helped so many people. It's what God wants for us....and we are glad you have decided to join us!"

I cannot offer any kind of opinion on them or their situation since I really don't know anything about them or what all happened, but I just wish that they could re-discover the spirit behind this statement. I truly believe that "as long as there is hope there is hope" and I will pray for them. It's never too late, even after a divorce, to reconcile. I just hope that they can remember their first love and turn to Him again.

Edited by Ibbygirl

Sigh ... too bad, huh?

:iagree: This is what I was hoping the announcement would be too. I've only seen a few episodes of the show, and I don't even necessarily think that it was a bad idea to do it in the first place, to get some money and allow Kate to be home with the kids. But it does seem to have taken quite a toll, and it would have been great if they had said, "We're putting our family first and stopping production. Thanks for the memories."

Sad.

I agree that people take divorce as the easy way out. It's one of those grass is always greener situations. Thing is, like you said, it isn't REALLY particularly easy (though some aspects certainly are). It just LOOKS a whole lot easier to throw it away rather than work your rear-end off to save it.

What people DON"T seem to know is that the grass really IS greener over HERE where people DID work to save it (even when there were BIG issues in the mix).

Edited by 2J5M9K

In Iowa this pair would be in a course, Children in the Middle, a class for divorcing parents

I'd GUESS that even in Iowa, that people usually are divorcing before they take this class. The papers were filed yesterday. I wouldn't guess they'd already be in classes.

Of course, GOOD parents would get their heads out their rears and be learning before they get the papers filed. Well, but maybe had they done THAT (and maybe if MOST people did that), they'd be able to stay together afterall.

I just think the show went on for too long. In the beginning they were both working parents wondering how they were going to put food on the table. Clearly they saw dollar signs - which frankly who can really blame them? However, there came a point when their reality became being a television show and not a family. I get the impression Kate is very motivated by the psuedo fame and money. Jon never seemed interested in being rich or famous. I remember when we decided to stop working full time to stay home more with the family. I thought that was the beginning of the end, because for someone who didn't enjoy the spotlight why would be want to be in it all day?

The best thing they could have done is back out of the show. They are apparently contractually obligated for this season, but is TLC really that thoughtless? I feel as though the life is being sucked out of this situation for ratings and cash. These poor children need a break. Jon and Kate always claim the kids are not aware of what is going on, but give me a break. I go grocery shopping and see all the tabloids - certainly they do as well.

You've got to be kidding? I have never seen a woman emasculate a man more - and infront of millions no less! She is horid. My husband predicted this divorce the first time he ever saw just 10 minutes of the show. He said, "No man can take being treated like that for long. They'll get divorced soon enough." That was YEARS ago. A man who has had his manliness stomped on continuously for years, at some point will try to prove he still has a pair. I'm not saying what he did was right. He never should have allowed himself to be treated like that in the first place. But she certainly contributed her 50% to their problems and then some.

I am devastated for the kids. I come from a broken family and it stinks. They need their mommy AND daddy and this is terrible for them. Too bad mom and dad didn't turn off the cameras and get some counceling years ago. Just awefull....:sad:

Ps. I am not a fan or watcher of this show. I have only caught it a couple of times over the years. But everytime I did see it, I cringed to see the way Kate treated Jon. Just disgraceful.

I also have seen the show a handful of times over the last couple years, but geesh!

I also want to say that it is not only Kate's attitude and actions to Jon that bother me, but her actions and attitude toward those 8 precious kids. In every episode she was nasty to them in some way, in word or deed. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments (and try to apologize for them) and I'm certainly NO June Cleaver or Carol Brady but her actions towards her whole family made me sad. The particular episode where the family got two new puppies, that the KIDS had been asking for, then Kate went and chose the dogs AND the names and was nasty to one of the older girls... Just sad. Every episode I saw, Jon was taking care of the kids with humor or patience, he was the one helping them out, taking care of getting them ready, etc. Maybe these were rare episodes that I saw?! I did not see patience or compassion towards the children from Kate in the episodes I watched.

So sad. TLC should have done all they could have done to help their marriage. Could it have been more obvious that they needed marital counseling. I think the show - the producers had an obligation to see them succeed.

I actually emailed TLC when the 5th season started and it was obvious that troubles were really brewing. I am too VERY upset and sad about the whole thing. I told them that they needed to take the high road, tell Jon and Kate that their show ha been canceled and they needed to focus on their family instead. I knew my little email wouldn't make a difference, but I was just complelled to say something anyway.

I am just sad.

Kathy

I also have seen the show a handful of times over the last couple years, but geesh!

I also want to say that it is not only Kate's attitude and actions to Jon that bother me, but her actions and attitude toward those 8 precious kids. In every episode she was nasty to them in some way, in word or deed. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments (and try to apologize for them) and I'm certainly NO June Cleaver or Carol Brady but her actions towards her whole family made me sad. The particular episode where the family got two new puppies, that the KIDS had been asking for, then Kate went and chose the dogs AND the names and was nasty to one of the older girls... Just sad. Every episode I saw, Jon was taking care of the kids with humor or patience, he was the one helping them out, taking care of getting them ready, etc. Maybe these were rare episodes that I saw?! I did not see patience or compassion towards the children from Kate in the episodes I watched.

I agree. I think Jon has always felt trapped (he apparently got married but did not want kids at that time, and boom, within three years 8 kids). But he is almost always kind to the kids and never takes it out on them. In the Moving Episode (to their new house), he is at home packing for the darn move (which Kate had been whining about forever, that her old house was so tiny?!) while Kate is off on some pre-planned tour that simply couldn't be helped. So, dad is at home packng with 8 youngsters. He mentions how Kate now is off at circuits all the time while he is at home and that to him men being mothers is not natural.

I also noticed that the kids have begun speaking to the cameras and acting to them; just plain weird.