Menu

If you were to make a major lifestyle change and live on a farm...

Where could you purchase a decent amount of land, for a good price?? Other things that would be on the wish list:

* Somewhat mild weather, esp. during winter

*Nearby city so dh could work. Nearby hospital in case of illness and so I can work. Shopping within a reasonable driving distance, and the ability to hire a crew to build our house.

*Conducive to growing an orchard, lots of vegetables, steer, chickens, etc., to live on.

Any experience, thoughts, ideas? I was wondering about Idaho, but haven't been there, yet. I just need to pick some places and then start researching them.

Check out Craigslist.

In Kentucky - Huntington/Ashland area - I am always finding lots of land for cheap. Ohio and Indiana are affordable as well.

You can Googlemap it in satellite and really see what it's like. Is it hilly? Are there other farms around? How far away is town?

http://huntington.craigslist.org/rea/

Next time you have time to study the market online - go to random states on Craigslist and see what you find. Good luck!

Where could you purchase a decent amount of land, for a good price?? Other things that would be on the wish list:

*Nearby city so dh could work. Nearby hospital in case of illness and so I can work. Shopping within a reasonable driving distance, and the ability to hire a crew to build our house.

*Conducive to growing an orchard, lots of vegetables, steer, chickens, etc., to live on.

Any experience, thoughts, ideas? I was wondering about Idaho, but haven't been there, yet. I just need to pick some places and then start researching them.

I don't know about price (and that's the big thing isn't it?), but for the rest, Raleigh/Durham, NC fits. We are close to Raleigh and Durham but I can drive 20 minutes and be extremely rural. I can drive 5 minutes from the beltline and be in farm area.

So nearby a city - check. Nearby a hospital - there are the "normal" hospitals and then there are both Duke and UNC teaching hospitals. Shopping - check. Building a house - check.

Mild weather - sort of check. I wouldn't think of Idaho as mild. Our winters are mild. Our summers can get to the 100's. Humidity is high.

Growing things - on the twice annual farm tour that Whole Foods sponsors, I've seen farms with apples, veggies, beef, pork, vineyards. Ok, I haven't seen them myself, but I always pick up the brochure and hope we can go. These are just the organic farms too. The State farmer's Market is close and I can get about anything veggie and fruit wise I'd want. If it's not there then it's out of season or just won't grow here.

Personally, I'm a city girl. Don't take away my shopping and such. But I'm not a big city girl. I'd die in Charlotte. I'm in Cary, a nice "town" next to Raleigh. Close enough that I could see a "Broadway" show but far enough out that the traffic is only so bad - roll and go not stop and roll.

Minnesota? We just moved here and so far it is ...... well, pretty darn great! North Dakota would be my other choice....... we are in Moorhead, MN and hope to buy a house/property around here when our house in GA sells.

It does get pretty darn cold here, though. :tongue_smilie:

We have many people moving to our area of PA (South Central, near Gettysburg) for very similar reasons. I'm not sure it'd be what I'd consider cheap (16 acres near us for $250,000 in a nice area), but for them it is... they tend to come from CA, MD, VA, DC, FL, and NY. I see their kids in school and hubby sometimes does their land development plans... You can get cheaper if you live further out, but we like exactly where we are personally.

For cities, it takes us about an hour to get to Baltimore or Harrisburg, 2 to get to Philly or DC, and 4 to get to NYC. Many work north of Baltimore or even in Frederick, MD, sometimes in York, PA. There are local hospitals everywhere. For shopping, it depends on what you want. Groceries are 8 minutes from my house (less than 5 miles) and there's a local hardware store right next to it. For a Wally World it takes 15 minutes - and there's a small town mall plus fairly major department stores in that town - along with smaller shops, of course. An Outlet Mall takes 30 minutes to get to - and a larger (major) mall takes an hour - with several smaller ones within that distance.

If you want really cheap, take a look at upstate NY (St Lawrence River valley area). You won't find mild winters there... or close major shopping... but when I return to visit family we always drool over the prices... but not the home heating costs!

We are outside of Houston. Our growing season is very long. Some plants suffer in the heat and humidity. My husband travels into Houston for work. There still appear to be plenty of well-paying jobs here.

I can not say how inexpensive the land is, because so much depends on the trendiness of the immediate area.

The land is inexpensive and the taxes are low. The winters are mild (compared to the North), and the summers are not too hot (well, there are a few weeks that it can get really, really hot, but then it tends to cool down).

The hardest thing is finding the land. Most people around here don't just put their land up for sale. You have to know them, and know that they have land they MIGHT want to sell. There are some listings, but for the most parts sales are by the owner.

Your first two (mild weather, nearby city) cancels out my area, but I wouldn't want to farm anywhere else. Farming is excellent here.

I've noticed several acquaintances moving to the south for the same thing. TN, MS...but I would consider the summer heat and humidity a drawback despite inexpensive land. Then the Dakotas would be great but cold. Idaho does have some extreme temps too BUT it is beautiful. Ever consider AR?

I have no suggestions for you. You don't want to come to Central California. The weather's great most of the year and it's beautiful out here, but the politicians aren't giving us any water (they must save the Delta Smelt), so the farms are getting ready to literally dry up and blow away. A lot of them have done so already.

I have no suggestions for you. You don't want to come to Central California. The weather's great most of the year and it's beautiful out here, but the politicians aren't giving us any water (they must save the Delta Smelt), so the farms are getting ready to literally dry up and blow away. A lot of them have done so already.

Oh, how awful. :001_huh:

I've noticed several acquaintances moving to the south for the same thing. TN, MS...but I would consider the summer heat and humidity a drawback despite inexpensive land. Then the Dakotas would be great but cold. Idaho does have some extreme temps too BUT it is beautiful. Ever consider AR?

AR wasn't on my short-list, but nothing is off the table at this point. All we know is we'd like to create a better life (slower pace, land to grow, etc.) somewhere as inexpensively as possible. It's the where and the how that seem so unattainable, even though we know it's doable somehow.

I appreciate all the ideas. It beats throwing a dart on a map :001_smile:

I'd prefer that the Delta Smelt got the water before the exotic grass lawns got it in southern CA. :rant: I've always gotten a bit perturbed by people from eastern, wet states migrating to the dry southwest to avoid the rain and colder weather and then insisting on importing the damp climate plants to make it more like home. Rant over. :D

Ummm....Upstate NY (FAR Upstate - near and around Watertown) fits so many of your criteria... when we moved up here, we were looking at some farms 150-160 acres with old farm houses (that really needed to be torn down) for around $110,000. BUT, I wouldn't wish the NY taxes/gun laws/politics on anyone (don't mean to offend anyone - just that its hard to come from a state with barely any regulations to one with tonz:glare:). Also, after last winter (which is still trying to stay with us), I would say that one is off you list, too. Its too bad though, b/c it is absolutely beautiful up here, great people, and great farm land!

That being said....We also loved southern Alabama...it gets warm in the summers, but --cheaper land, close to Dothan, 2-3 hours from Atlanta, and 90 min. to the Florida coast! I won't mind at all if DH goes back there for our next duty station (just MUST have a pool this time)!

Ummm....Upstate NY (FAR Upstate - near and around Watertown)

That's the area I grew up in more or less (we were further north by a little over an hour (Ogdensburg/Lisbon), my grandparents were further south by the same (Syracuse/Marcellus)). My uncle owns a restaurant in Watertown... I agree with all you've written about it... we love it up there in the summer - and prefer the more moderate winters of PA.

That's the area I grew up in more or less (we were further north by a little over an hour (Ogdensburg/Lisbon), my grandparents were further south by the same (Syracuse/Marcellus)). My uncle owns a restaurant in Watertown... I agree with all you've written about it... we love it up there in the summer - and prefer the more moderate winters of PA.

PA is absolutely beautiful. DH is from Ohio - NW near Toledo (which by the way also has some cheap land, great farming, milder winters...and a Super Walmart on almost every corner:D) - and we drive through PA all of the time. How is it on property taxes, etc? When we retire, taxes and regulations are going to be very high on our list determining where we end up. Not to get political here, but we just sort of want to be left alone.

And what is your Uncle's restaurant????? Super curious now!!!

Another vote for NC - but Western NC. Here in the mountains, we don't have the humidity that they have in the Eastern part of the state. We live on some acreage about 15 miles out of Asheville. We get a few snows every winter, but just enough to be fun for the kids. Things grow well here too. It is an absolutely beautiful place to live.

New Mexico. There's land for reasonable prices within an hour of Albuquerque. We have mild winters and coolish summers, definitely not as hot as AZ! NM meets all your above requirements.

Another vote for NC - but Western NC. Here in the mountains, we don't have the humidity that they have in the Eastern part of the state. We live on some acreage about 15 miles out of Asheville. We get a few snows every winter, but just enough to be fun for the kids. Things grow well here too. It is an absolutely beautiful place to live.

NC really appeals to me. Do you know anything about the area around Blue Ridge Mtns? Are prices affordable where you are?

PA is great for farming, but the propane might kill ya. Lancaster County is good politically, but the Anabaptists will make it very difficult for an outsider to buy a farm (most are sold by auction and they come as groups with their checkbooks willing to pay ridiculous prices just to keep "worldly people" from it).

In general (with exceptions), cheap land equals poor land for farming. Expensive land equals good land for farming. Also the price may indicate the weather is not conducive to farming or it is not located in an area where it is easy to get the crops/livestock to market.

Do you want to raise livestock or crops?

Have you ever lived/worked on a farm before?

There are lots of books about going into farming.

There are even places where you can do a "farm vacation" you live on a farm and do farm work.

In general (with exceptions), cheap land equals poor land for farming. Expensive land equals good land for farming. Also the price may indicate the weather is not conducive to farming or it is not located in an area where it is easy to get the crops/livestock to market.

There are even places where you can do a "farm vacation" you live on a farm and do farm work.

We want to go where there is the option to raise livestock. A large vegetable garden will be a given, as will fruit trees. If things get really rough, we'd like the option of adding in the rest.

Farm land is also higher priced due to its development potential. So the closer you are to cities for shopping, jobs ad hosptitals and other services, the higher the land costs. Also the greater the chances that you'll find a housing development going up on the farm next to yours. Of course, that also increases the value of running a truck garden, u-picks and riding stables :D

PA is absolutely beautiful. DH is from Ohio - NW near Toledo (which by the way also has some cheap land, great farming, milder winters...and a Super Walmart on almost every corner:D) - and we drive through PA all of the time. How is it on property taxes, etc? When we retire, taxes and regulations are going to be very high on our list determining where we end up. Not to get political here, but we just sort of want to be left alone.

And what is your Uncle's restaurant????? Super curious now!!!

My Uncle's place is the Brookside Diner on State St. It's only open for breakfast and lunch... then my uncle's other job is as a contractor at Ft Drum with their new buildings, etc. :)

And PA? It depends on where you are... As you get to more Western or Northern PA, you are more likely to be left alone regulation-wise. Here in South Central where we are, there is the 'fight' between left alone and more regulation (which tends to be brought in by those who come here to 'escape,' but can't leave their old ways behind them). Then toward the major cities, it's like everywhere else near major cities... I like where we live personally (Adams County), it's a pretty good mix of rural and city - for now anyway. We were also fortunate enough to have bought before prices went higher...

I consider property taxes to be reasonable here, but I'm only used to NY and FL. People who move here tell me they are reasonable - and it's part of why they move... that and lower crime, etc.

Farm land is also higher priced due to its development potential. So the closer you are to cities for shopping, jobs ad hosptitals and other services, the higher the land costs. Also the greater the chances that you'll find a housing development going up on the farm next to yours. Of course, that also increases the value of running a truck garden, u-picks and riding stables :D

That's exactly what's making it high here... lots of farms are now growing houses... and the neighbor's U Pick is sure getting decent business this year! Fortunately, where our place is located, there can't be a major development right next door... Ag Preservation is a really nice zone...

NC really appeals to me. Do you know anything about the area around Blue Ridge Mtns? Are prices affordable where you are?

The further north you go out of Asheville, the lower the prices. There are still some deals to be had up here. When you cross the county line, the prices go down. Asheville is in Buncombe County, the next county is Madison (we are two miles inside Buncombe County). Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

AR wasn't on my short-list, but nothing is off the table at this point. All we know is we'd like to create a better life (slower pace, land to grow, etc.) somewhere as inexpensively as possible. It's the where and the how that seem so unattainable, even though we know it's doable somehow.

I appreciate all the ideas. It beats throwing a dart on a map :001_smile:

We did this - moved from Kenosha, WI ( equidistant between Milwaukee and Chicago) to Dover, AR - podunk nowhere! We LOVE it. We do have Little Rock about 1 1/4 hours away and Russellville (25,000 people) and it is only 10 minutes. Pace is slower, people are friendly, I like the country. It has been culture shock though. There is a lot of racism here - both ways - which I was not used to and don't like being around. I never whitnessed ANY racism in WI. ( not saying there isn't any, just saying I never whitnessed it) Standards are different in a lot of ways. School systems aren't so good. I STILL can't understand half the old timers in town. But all in all, we love it here. Land is pretty cheap compared to most places. But jobs aren't plentiful and pay isn't that good. If you are a professional, you can do well. Cost of living is reasonable. Weather is great except in July and Aug. Humidity and heat can get to you. However - I hate the snow, so I like it here better. I just stay inside if it's over 90 other then my farm chores which I do early or late to avoid the hottest part of the day. I think I have more good riding days here then I would have in WI and that's what matters to me.

Question - and I'm not being snarky here:

Do you have any REAL farming experience? How much farming do you want to do? You said livestock... you do know that's an every day, no vacations job, right?

I ask because I've seen many people move out here, buy a farm or farmyard and blow it big time. They have the best intentions, but it's the day-to-day, seriously physical hard work that does them in every time. And then there's the expense of it. You've got to have money to make money in farming. Input costs bucks. Sometimes really, really big bucks. Then, you sell your stock or crop and sometimes the prices really stink and you're lucky if the cheque you wrote for input costs is smaller than the cheque you get for sales.

Farming is a great dream -- heck, it's an awesome dream! But the reality of it, isn't for everyone. You really have to be prepared to WORK a lot. All the time. For very little money. With no time or room for complaints and whining.

I guess I'm just saying be realistic. Someone else mentioned trying a vacation farm. That's a tiny taste of what it would be like, but it would at least be a taste.

You said livestock... you do know that's an every day, no vacations job, right?

I've seen this one come up several times and it puzzles me. Why do y'all not take vacations? We have 24 ponies on our farm right now - along with chickens, the occasional pig or steer, and our cats and dog and we still get vacations - long ones when we can afford them (2 months has been our longest). The key is great neighbors... and timing. We watch our neighbor's place (and critters, etc) when they travel and they do the same for us. Neither of us pays each other - though we do tend to bring back gifts. We also work the timing to be sure we're here for breeding/foaling season and while our garden is at its peak (ie many of our vacations are in the fall or winter) - but to say one can't take vacations? Not here!!! Travel is our other love! None of our animals have suffered.

Otherwise... I'll agree with those that say farming is a bit of work - unless, of course, you like it and it is rarely work at all... As for me and my house... we can't stand cities and city life. We tolerate them some to see places/things, but really prefer even vacationing in national or state parks and the general countryside. On many of our lengthy trips we purposely avoid all major cities (and interstate highways).

Dairy cows would be the biggest thing to tie one down - year round.

I've seen this one come up several times and it puzzles me. Why do y'all not take vacations? We have 24 ponies on our farm right now - along with chickens, the occasional pig or steer, and our cats and dog and we still get vacations - long ones when we can afford them (2 months has been our longest). The key is great neighbors... and timing. We watch our neighbor's place (and critters, etc) when they travel and they do the same for us. Neither of us pays each other - though we do tend to bring back gifts. We also work the timing to be sure we're here for breeding/foaling season and while our garden is at its peak (ie many of our vacations are in the fall or winter) - but to say one can't take vacations? Not here!!! Travel is our other love! None of our animals have suffered.

Otherwise... I'll agree with those that say farming is a bit of work - unless, of course, you like it and it is rarely work at all... As for me and my house... we can't stand cities and city life. We tolerate them some to see places/things, but really prefer even vacationing in national or state parks and the general countryside. On many of our lengthy trips we purposely avoid all major cities (and interstate highways).

Dairy cows would be the biggest thing to tie one down - year round.

You neighbors will take care of your livestock twice per day for two months?!?!? We were able to find someone for a week or so at a time, but I can't imagine imposing on someone for a month or two unless we were paying them.

How much time per day does it take to care for the ponies? Are they stabled or pastured?

There are still places you could have a farm near Charlotte, NC and commute into the city. We have 2.5 acres, but my friend, who lives just 10 miles South of us in Waxhaw, NC, has 11.5 acres. She is selling it for $199,000. It only has a double wide mobile home on it, but I still think that for that land, it is reasonable. Someone on her street is selling 5 acres for $89,000. It is also a mobile home, but that home really needs to be torn down, so you really are paying for the land only.

Mild weather here, still close to medical, 3 hours to the beach, 3 hours to the "mountains."

Not bad for a place to have a farm.

Dawn

PS: And let me add that there are SCORES on homeschoolers here!

You neighbors will take care of your livestock twice per day for two months?!?!? We were able to find someone for a week or so at a time, but I can't imagine imposing on someone for a month or two unless we were paying them.

How much time per day does it take to care for the ponies? Are they stabled or pastured?

Yes... they come morning and night to feed our animals including the boy's fish tank. Our ponies live out 24/7, so there are no stalls to be cleaned. Since they are ponies, we can also drop the grain feeding while we are gone making it easier yet. We use round bales for hay, so all our neighbors have to do with the ponies is be sure hay is put out when needed and water our stallion (the only one without auto-water). They also double check the waterer in the barn for our colt/gelding pasture - and, of course, check everyone out to be sure no one is injured. Our vet knows the neighbors are in charge when we are gone - so there's no issues there. So far, nothing has happened that needed the vet, but the contingency is there. They have, on occasion, had to repair fence and put some ponies back in... after a wind storm... but those things happen and they know it. They have a list of who lives where. We make sure worming and feet are done prior to when we go - then again when we get back. And again, we do the same for them when they travel. Their travels are seldom longer than 2 weeks, but they take more smaller vacations during the year - weekends and the like.

For chickens, they just have to let them out of our coop in the morning with a container of scratch grains and close it at night. They keep any eggs. They feed/play with the dog. The cats are barn cats, so they just get a bag of dry food set out as needed - in a place where the chickens can't help themselves to it.

For the past few years we haven't had steers or pigs - that was earlier in our lives.

All in all, it probably takes them half an hour twice a day - and ditto us for them. They do have steers... and raise Appys (horses), dogs, cats, and now, chickens (they liked ours, so bought some).

We've cared for each other's animals for over a decade now... with nary a payment either way (unless you count the travel gifts we bring each other, but those aren't much).

I did hire a local high school girl to do it once - the family needed money, etc. That's the one time it didn't go well... she only fed the ponies 1/3rd of the hay they were supposed to get - even with explicit instructions (square bales in those days)!!! Good thing that was just for a one week trip and our fences were sturdy...

SW MO has reasonable land prices, Springfield has decent hospitals, good size city for work and library, zoo etc. The homeschool laws seem pretty decent too.

Interesting, creekland. Our livestock chores took much longer than 1/2 hour twice a day, but I can see how yours would not. We didn't have automatic waterers (which would have saved a TON of time!)

We had turkeys, chickens, and ducks most of the time and pigs towards the end. The pigs did me in! The poultry had to be moved (portable pens), fed, and watered twice a day. The pigs - well, we won't talk about those stupid pigs. All in all, it took 1-2 hours twice a day and that was if nothing went wrong. That didn't include the gardening work, the fence building, and the clearing.

We did switch out with a neighbor from 6 miles away one summer. They used our brooder house for their poultry and took care of our livestock (because they had to come twice a day anyway.) When they went away, we took care of theirs, but it was a LOT of work because they didn't have running water or electricity on their farm.

Tennessee is great for all those things :)

We moved here from Florida because everyone told us how cheap it is here.

Maybe we live in the wrong part.....Northeast corner.

Our food is taxed at almost 10% and electric and water are through the roof. I have yet to find affordable land or housing for sale.

I am soooooo not impressed with rainy, dreary, expensice Tennessee.

Being from the city my whole life and having moved to a farm at age 40 - and I mean a "real" farm, not a hobby farm - we have 35 mama cows, a bull and all the calves plus meat goats, our horses which are our recreation and a myriad of other animals both for fun and for eggs and meat, on 160 acres - I can testify to the shock of realizing how much work it is.

The biggest worry and amount of work IMO is keeping fences and fields in proper working order and condition. Right now, we have several fence lines that have been damaged by flooding that must be completely replaced - it will take us years to accomplish this as we ( my DH and I both in mid 40's) can not afford to pay for it to be done and he works full time off farm. We also have 4 GIANT oak trees that have been struck by lightning over the last 3 years that have died and must be felled, chopped up and removed. Just thinking about it makes my head spin. There is always a huge amount of brush and fallen branches to be picked up not counting the dead oaks; we can't let the woods over take the fields - every blade of grass must be protected since it is grass that feeds our cattle, goats and horses. When branches fall outside the tree line, they must be picked up. (I guess it would be different in Kansas or on a farm with no trees.) The pastures and hay fields must be kept fertilized, weeded, harrowed and mowed when needed. The fence lines must be sprayed yearly to keep the vines and cedars from destroying them.

All the animals must be vaccinated, wormed, treated for flies, fed, treated for injuries and checked on daily. If a mama cow or goat dies, there is a bottle baby. Animals escape fence lines or open gates ( I didn't do it!:D) and have to be recaptured. Calves have to be caught, castrated and tagged. Goat babies need heat lamps. The list is endless.....oh my, I'm making myself tired and I haven't even talked about hay season yet!

One year, our hay man could not find "haulers" ( the people we pay $.50/ bale to pick the square bales up out of the field and stack them in the barn) but he didn't tell us. ( nobody communicates properly in AR - fact!) So, on baling day, we found ourselves faced with a field of 1500 bales ( 70 lbs each) of hay on the ground, rain coming the next day, and no one to pick it up. This is when you find out what you are made of! My Dh and I, my DD17, my FIL ( age 72) picked up and stacked evey one of those bales ourselves! We had 3 other people come and help for short bits of time, but for the most part, we did it ourselves. We had no choice. That hay was worth $7500 to us and we could NOT allow it to be rained on. So we did what we had to do.

There is also the expense of equipment and livestock to consider when going from city life to farming. We did not inherit anything. We started from scratch and it cost us a fortune! The land, tractors, trailers, implements, tools, corals, livestock, barn repair, fencing materials, 4-wheeler, on and on....we sunk a lot of money into this lifestyle simply for the sake of living the lifestyle. We just hope to break even someday!

With all of this said, we love farming and living in the country. We love caring for our animals and we make sure their life is pleasant and they are healthy. That is satisfying to us. We are happy with our choice. But....I don't think it for everyone at all.

New Mexico. There's land for reasonable prices within an hour of Albuquerque. We have mild winters and coolish summers, definitely not as hot as AZ! NM meets all your above requirements.

That would be an hour south. Going north, you do get snow and ice, some winters worse than others. Enough to close down some highways though, periodically. Ie, as cheap and purdy as Pecos/Glorieta is (near the forest), we won't move there because of the snow/ice/closed highways issue.

Our livestock chores took much longer than 1/2 hour twice a day, but I can see how yours would not. We didn't have automatic waterers (which would have saved a TON of time!)

Our chores can take US longer than 1/2 hour a day because we do more... but when we have our place set up for vacation, that's about all it takes for our neighbors to do them.

Besides the automatic waterers our chickens free range so there's not much that has to be done with the coop (other than we totally clean it out a couple times a year - more for the nesting boxes, but we don't have our neighbors do it).

Then, one of the best things we did was install HDPE recycled 3 rail fencing along main portions of our pasture with an inside electric wire (one strand - on a solar charger). That stuff is nigh unto indestructible and it never wears out nor needs painting. Fencing repairs are down to nil where we have it. It's expensive to put in, but it pays for itself year after year. I look forward to when we can have our whole place done in it.

I'm definitely not saying there's not work involved in a farm and anyone contemplating a change shouldn't be aware of it... they most definitely should. All I'm saying is with a proper set-up and choice of critters (and neighbors?) vacations are not impossible. For what it's worth, we did the same types of arrangements when I was young... different neighbors (heck, different states), but nonetheless, the same exchange of duties.