Menu

What time do you get up on Christmas morning?

What time do you get up on Christmas morning?  

1. 1. What time do you get up on Christmas morning?

• 5 am or earlier
    • 6 am
    • 7 am
    • 8 am
    • 9 am
    • 10 am
    • 11 am or later
    • other, such as opening on christmas eve instead.

My husband thinks my family is certifiable because we get up so early. As little kids we were up at 5am, sometimes earlier if my mom couldn't wait anymore :)

Now we start no later than 7am, often as early as 6am. I know others don't get up until 10 or later, which is unheard of in my family, even when we were teens and young adults.

In fact, all my memories are of opening presents when it was still dark outside. It was like our little family were the only people in the universe. Very cozy. We would finish as the sun came up, and the kids would go play with their toys outside while the parents napped.

So...are we the only ones?

Wait - your poll asked what time we get up on Christmas morning. But your post implies that what you are really asking is what time we unwrap gifts. We get up around 8 am. We have our traditional special Christmas breakfast, we sing carols, we read the Christmas story, then (around 9:30 or 10 am ) we actually open gifts by having one person retrieve a gift for someone else, they open it, and then go get a gift for someone else, etc.

Since we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve with tree lighting, singing and gift opening, we usually sleep late the next morning.

When ds was little, he was allowed to get up when he wanted and since he had already opened his presents the night before, he played quietly until dh and I blinked awake.

Sorry, I just realized I voted incorrectly. I voted 9 a.m. instead of other as specified.

Edited by Liz CA

We usually get up around 7, have breakfast, and DH goes to pick up his uncle. We start opening presents around 9.

When I was a kid living with my father & stepmother, we opened presents at midnight on Christmas Eve, then ate breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes) and went to bed around 3 or 4 AM. We slept until noon or later, and then the guys watched football all afternoon while the girls & my stepmother cooked Christmas dinner. I've never met anyone else who did it that way, though!

Jackie

We get up about 8am - the sun has to be up and so does everyone in the house (sometimes one of the kids sleeps longer than the others and dh isn't big on waking sleeping kids nor do we want anyone to feel left out). So, as they wake, they join us in bed ... if someone is still sleeping by 8:30 or so, dh usually gives in and allows us to go wake the sleeping child. :D We go straight out and open presents and then dh and I get ready. My mom and step-dad come over a bit later for brunch and presents from them.

Mine are older, so they sleep in now. From the time they were little, any gifts from us, friends and family were opened Christmas Eve. Santa filled the stockings and brought one or two gifts for Christmas morning. Usually large, unwrapped gifts from Santa. Now, we still do it the same way but we sleep later!

If we're at my parent's house then around 3 a.m. That's when my dad usually starts making coffee and watching tv and banging doors a little too loudly in hopes the kids wake up already. He's a much bigger kid than his grandbabies! If we're at our own house then around 5 but that's what time the kids wake up every day.

If we're at my parent's house then around 3 a.m. That's when my dad usually starts making coffee and watching tv and banging doors a little too loudly in hopes the kids wake up already. He's a much bigger kid than his grandbabies! If we're at our own house then around 5 but that's what time the kids wake up every day.

That is so cute!!! :D

I voted 7am because that's when we get the kids up. We have 4 places to visit on Christmas Day so we need to get up and shower/get dressed at 6am, start breakfast, open presents, eat, get the kids dressed, and get out of the house by 10am.

I'm surprised that many of you eat before opening presents, I've never heard of doing it that way, I like it! Poll coming!

Dd's are usually up around 6am.

Once my siblings and I got up really early and started for the living room and my dad yelled, "Santa hasn't come yet ~ go back to bed!". :lol: We used to get up super early and play with what was in our stockings and our Santa gift until our parents woke.

We get up between 5 and 6am. It is always dark when we wake. I usually run into the kitchen, hit the "on" button on the coffeemaker and then to the tree to turn on the lights & Christmas music. I've woken before the kids before... I get so excited I can't help it!

3am, 5am, Christmas eve, and every hour in between.

Hear the putter patter and whispers and we crawl out of bed, help out and take some pics, admonish them to not wake their siblings ;) and go back to bed until they wake another sibling or two. Repeat until we give up. We don't even get dressed all day Christmas day. No point. We just eat, play, and nap repeatedly.