Menu

The perfect curriculum - have you found it?

MIch elle

I KNOW there is no perfect curriculum BUT what are you using that's perfect for YOUR family. Please put the grade/s in the title line with the subject/s.

Of these resources, what are you most excited about using everyday?

Thanks! :D

Edited by MIch elle

Phonics--Spell To Write and Read and/or Rod and Staff Phonics and Readers

Penmanship--Copywork starting with letters, then words of the child's choice then sentences.

Mathematcs--VSL learner = Singapore Math, slower in this department add in Rod and Staff Math

History--grammar stage Story of the World

Grammar/Latin--3rd grade Lively Latin

That's our list so far. :001_smile:

These are the programs that are perfect for us:

K-4

Writing With Ease

First Language Lessons

MUS

TOG

Your Story Hour CD's

SOTW CD's

MathShark

5 - 8

MUS

Analytical Grammar

Latina Christiana

TOG

Visual Link - Spanish

Fallacy Detective and MindBenders

9-12

TOG- Lit, History, Govt., Fine Arts (not so much for writing)

Diana Waring CD's

Visual Link - Spanish

Analytical Grammar

Apologia Science

VideoText Algebra

Kaplan SAT Prep online

MUS - Geometry followed by ALEKS

Memoria Press Logic

Obviously I have not listed everthing, because everything isn't a perfect fit. After much research, we are going to add the following programs next year:

NOEO science (5 & 6th grade)

The Lost Tools of Writing

All About Spelling

Chalkdust PreCalc

Would you like a list of the things I have tried and sold over 15 years of homeschooling? ;)

Edited by Leanna

5 - 8

MUS

Analytical Grammar

Latina Christiana

TOG

Visual Link - Spanish

Fallacy Detective and MindBenders

9-12

TOG- Lit, History, Govt., Fine Arts (not so much for writing)

Diana Waring CD's

Visual Link - SpanishAnalytical Grammar

Apologia Science

VideoText Algebra

Kaplan SAT Prep online

MUS - Geometry followed by ALEKS

Memoria Press Logic

How do you and your dc like Visual Link Spanish? How much does it cost? TIA

K-5:

A Beka math was perfect for my ds through 3rd grade

SOTW 1 was amazingly perfect for all 3 of mine. That will always remain our best history year ever! Lots of hands-on fun stuff we did. Great memories!

Christian Liberty Academy--Their 2nd grade curriculum pulled my oldest ds out of a slump after a bad experience in a Christian School, expecially the story of Robinson Crusoe.

AO Life Pac Math--My 2nd ds hit a math wall and was overwhelmed by any math book he saw. The Life Pacs were perfect--he could handle 10 shorter books, even though it was the same amount--it just looked like less. Each book finished gave him a big sense of accomplishment, and brought him back around to being okay with math again.

TT Math--Both my younger ds and my dd had a bad year with Saxon. We switched to TT and it worked beautifully for them!

Visual Link Spanish--DD has really enjoyed this!

Apologia Elementary Astronomy--Didn't last the whole year (meaning the book isn't long enough to last the whole year, not that we didn't finish it), but dd had a blast with it!

Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting--JUST what dd wanted! She loves it!

6-10:

R&S English/Grammar--Another struggle for us. Didn't find this 'til 3 years ago, but it was perfect for helping us figure out that grammar and diagramming! (dd started it in 5th grade)

Life of Fred Math--PERFECT, for both my youngers. They love doing math! They score high on the ITBS tests. I love this too!

NOEO Chem II--DD loves this!

Apologia Biology--DS15 has enjoyed this. He did all the dissections, which he considered fun. He will read us stuff from the book because he finds it so interesting!

BJU English 10--My oldest worked hard to get through this, but says now that he is sooo glad he took it. It helped him a lot already and he is thankful (his words) it was a tough course and he got to do it!

Edited by Brindee
to add handwriting--forgot that!

Pre-reading/pre-writing: Montessori Read and Write

I love, love, love how this book prepares little ones for reading, spelling, and writing. I haven't used the whole thing and I'm not sure if I will.

Phonics/Spelling: All About Spelling

From Montessori Read and Write we move on to AAS. We love the short, fun, interactive, hands-on lessons.

Informal Spanish: Teach Your Child Spanish Through Play

It gives the parent ideas to teach children Spanish though games and everyday activities.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

3rd grader -

Explode the Code. He began book 3 about half way through the second grade and he will finish book 8 in a few weeks.

SOTW - he just loves it!

Mavis Beacon Typing

5th Grader -

Teaching Textbooks 5 - no complaints, good retention.

Easy Grammar 5 - ditto

I'll be making a lot of changes next year!

Lots of Galore Park and a few others:

3rd Grade: Junior English 2, So You Really Want to Learn French 1, SOTW 3

6th Grade: So You Really Want to Learn English 3, So You Really Want to Learn French 1, Latin Prep 3, Life of Fred Fractions, Classical Civilisation for GCSE - online with college-on-the-net

Laura

We have had a lot of luck with MOH 1&2, I'm sure #3 is just as good.

We also really like MFW.

We've used: Cultures, CTG, RTR, and planning on using 1st and 10th this year.

Also, Maggie Hogan's MOH Illuminations was great this year as an all-in-one Literature/Language Arts program.

Math-U-See has saved my dd from math disaster.

Both of my kids are using CLE math, Bible, and Language Arts. It has been a Godsend in all areas!

We are also beginning HOD with Beyond for my younger and Bigger for my older (to get in some Am Hist) and so far, it is just wonderful! WONDERFUL. It is amazing how hard I was making curriculum choices when they did not have to be.

Both of my kids are using CLE math, Bible, and Language Arts. It has been a Godsend in all areas!

CLE reading and math is perfect in my opinion, but don't ask my ds about it because he'll tell you different. :tongue_smilie: But then again he doesn't like anything we use that's called SCHOOL. :lol::lol:

SOTW series continues to work well for us. We're enjoying SOTW 2 with Our Island Story and C.Columbus & Sons

IEW HBWL - excellent

AO literature selections

Webster's Speller, Singapore math, the little cards in the back of the book "I Can Read and Speak in Spanish." The cards have pictures for both nouns and verbs on one side and the word on the other, my daughter had fun making up "stories" (sentences) with the cards on her own.

I have a love/hate relationship with SWR at the moment. I love it b/c it works and hate it b/c it IS work.:tongue_smilie:

I have found math perfection with Singapore as our spine and Miquon and Rightstart along for the ride. It's varied enough that math is never boring, and all the components compliment each other well. My dd4 can join in with ds6 for the hands-on stuff and RS games and glean w/o the pressure of writing the correct answer.

Lower elementary:

Explode the Code

Story of the World

Writing With Ease

Singapore math (except my elder dd)

Upper elementary/middle school:

Megawords

Latin For Children then Latin Prep

Growing With Grammar

Hake Grammar

Story of the World

Learnables French

WWE (remedial for my middle schoolers)

Life of Fred (only tried this w/ one so far)

Singapore math

Still looking in so many areas, but here are the ones which have been perfect for my particular kids:

PK/K/early grammar-

Explode the Code

RightStart math (this will extend through the entire grammar stage, all 3 of my younger kids use this).

Sonlight readers

grammar stage-

RightStart Math

WWE

FLL

AAS (this may extend beyond the grammar stage depending on how long it takes us to go through all of the levels)

Sonlight readers

Logic stage-

Sonlight history was perfect for my oldest son in the last few years.

Finishing 4th and 1st grades

Our perfect curriculum:

Story of the World. All four years

My oldest (9) is finishing up his fourth year. We have now gone from the nomads to the Vietnam War (Vietnam was today's lesson) and he and his younger brother consistantly say that history is their favorite subject. The first grader is finishing up Ancients. How cool that we were reading about Julius Caesar going to Egypt after Pompey at the same time we were learing about the Anwar High Dam nd the Suez crisis.

Singapore Math

Not for everyone, but my two boys are thriving with it.

My Pals are Here Science:

Again, not for everyone, but we love it. It provides enough structure for us to actually make it happen and is challenging for my nine-year-old science lover.

OPGTR... Love this book. Love it. Love it. Love it. LOVE. IT.

First Form Latin This is working particularly well for my highly auditory ds9. He gets Latin verbally first with the audio track, then moving to written is a peice of cake. We are in the beta group for this and I am very impressed so far.

Oh, I love this thread! After 7 years of homeschooling, I finally have some wonderful things that are working great for us.

At the top of the list is CLE Math and LA! The reading is good too...but don't ask my boys!

Also...

Meaningful Composition - excellent

Explode the Code

Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals & Percents

and, we have used Weaver for 5 years--been soooo excellent, but it's time to move on and try something new. So, we are excited to go to MOH with BP and God's Design for Science. BJU Science for my oldest.

HOD -

4th grader - Preparing Hearts for His Glory

1st grader - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory

K-er - Little Hearts for His Glory

HOD is a great fit for us right now too. I just started it ~3 months ago and have gradually added a program at a time until today - I have 3 going! My oldest is getting pencil to paper more. We no longer pass on science/poetry/art every.single.day. We still have time in our day if I want to add something else in - I can without killing myself or them.

I'm a little scared to post this. It seems like as soon as I start saying I've found the perfect fit, I see something I like better.

Math: Horizons. I wish I had found it sooner

TOG. I think this does the best job covering history, literature, geography, and worldview in a way that works for me. Something else might be better at each of those individual subjects, but integrating them all works great for me.

English: Rod and Staff. Love it. I use FLL for 1st and 2nd grade and am very happy.

Phonics: Explode the Code. Used it for all three, with no regrets.

Perhaps not a curriculum, per se, but a philosophy: LCC provided both the "Aha!" and the "aaaaahhhh!" when I discovered it. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I'm planning out next fall using LCC as a framework and Ambleside Online for booklists. It's going to be such a great year!

Edited by LoveBaby

Spelling: All About Spelling

Math: Singapore Math for the youngers; jury's still out for my older kids

TOG: I just can't say enough. I know it's not perfect for everyone - but it's perfect for us.

Science: I got sold on TOPS science back when I used Sonlight. It is by far the best, hands-on, brain-fuel science around. We especially love Corn & Beans, Radishes, Electricity, and Analysis.

BFSU (Buildling Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2): I get excited about this one, and ds is learning a bunch without knowing he's learning. So am I!

MCP Math: We finished K and are now on Level A, which is even better IMO. I love the Teacher's Manual. It works well for ds and is simple for me to teach.

Italic Handwriting: Getty-Dubay's program is so simple, so effective. Ds looks forward to his Penmanship.

Phonics: Phonics Pathways: It is all I have ever used, and I have 4 great readers.

History: SOTW for the youngers. We are about to finish our second go around with this and I still love it!

The Teaching Company DVD's have been wonderful for my oldest history-obsessed son. He has done Early Middle Ages and Late Middle Ages and really excelled with both and retained a lot.

Latin: Latin for Children

Writing: Classical Writing: We have completed Aesop and Homer A, as well as Intro. to Poetry and my kids have learned a lot. I love how thorough and rigorous it is. It has, at times however, caused a bit od stress in my life :-)

Memory Work: IEW's Poetry Memorization and the Charlotte Mason Scripture Memory system

Math: Singapore

Things that have worked really well for us:

HWT

Singapore Math*

Jacobs Algebra

K12 Science*

K12 Language Arts*

Hake Grammar

SOTW

Getting Started with Latin

Growing with Grammar

*Most excited about using these. The others worked well for various reasons, but I wouldn't call them particularly exciting.

So far:

Tapestry of Grace (History, Literature, Church history, Worldview, Government, Art, Writing & Composition, Geography)

Singapore Math ( I am from Europe and that's how I learned)

Italic Handwriting (Getty Dubay)

This is what has worked for us this year

6th

Write Shop 1

Chalk Dust Basic Math and Pre Algebra

Apologia Science (General Science)

Abeka Language - changing next year to Analytical Grammar

My Fathers World History/Bible

Sonlight readers

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Word Roots - Critical Thinking Co

Spelling Power

4th

Write Shop 1

Apologia Science

Abeka Math

Abeka Language - changing next year to AG

My Fathers World History/ Bible

Sonlight Readers

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Word Roots

Spelling Power

Our favorite item in our curriculum is MFW, we love it.

I do not feel there is a perfect curriculum, it is what works best for your family and children. I have tried different languages and maths. I have found the best Math for My oldest and that is Chalk Dust. SHe has never cared for math but loves Chalk Dust. We are still on the quest for a language program that is a good fit.

Monica

Sonlight- for history and literature/read-alouds

IEW - writing

Fix-It-Grammar

Reading Reflex (to teach the little ones to read)

Atelier Art (these have been great art lessons on dvd rather than paying for individual art lessons for my kids)

My Pals are Here (Singapore) Science

We also like:

Singapore math

Miquon math