Menu

Phonics freaks--how many syllables in "William"?

My kids and I say there are three syllables, Wil-li-am. Most people would say there are two syllables, Will-yum. In fact, we are the only three people I can find who say there are three syllables. Anyone care to join us?

Note to those using SWR: This is what will happen to you and your children down the road, not that it's a bad thing. :D

Well I'm William, my dad is William, and my son is William.

I say 3.

The name is Wil-lee-um not Will-yum, although I'd entertain the argument that the ee-um sound is a diphthong technically making it two syllables. I think?

But I've heard plenty of dissenting opinions, including those of my wife the English major. But I put my fingers in my ears :D

Bill (really William :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Spy Car

I say 2. But I also notice you are in Virginia. A native perhaps? I say this because my dear great aunt from there can stretch my first name into more syllables than anyone I have ever been around. Ann become A-un and my mom's Dorothy (we say door-thee) become Do-ruh-the).

I say 2. But I also notice you are in Virginia. A native perhaps?

LOL, no, grew up in Silicon Valley, then lived in Denver for 20 years before coming here.

I think 'William' is one of those words that we've slurred over the years, along with 'wouldn't' and others that escape me right now.

The reasons behind the 'William' responses are interesting to me. When we began discussing it (from an advice column in the paper!), I looked it up online. I do slur it together somewhat, but it comes out more like Will-yem, never Will-yum. It makes me wonder about the Joo-lee-uh/Jewel-ya name, but I won't start that here!

Well, if you have a son named Liam, I tend to think you'd say three..... Although some people do try to pronounce his name as a single syllable, which I find quite amusing.... I now understand perfectly why some old folks who carried that name were nicknamed "Lime" -never could figure that one out when I was growing up....

The first syllable we agree on--Will

Every syllable has a vowel, but can have more than one, but in that case, the two have to be a digraph or a diphthong.

An i followed by an a is neither, so each vowel is sounded separately, no matter how quickly.

Violin is another instance of two vowels together where each is sounded separately because oi do not go together as either a digraph or a diphthong.

The first syllable we agree on--Will

Every syllable has a vowel, but can have more than one, but in that case, the two have to be a digraph or a diphthong.

An i followed by an a is neither, so each vowel is sounded separately, no matter how quickly.

Violin is another instance of two vowels together where each is sounded separately because oi do not go together as either a digraph or a diphthong.

:iagree:

Of course ther only reason I know this is the Phonics Museum and lesson 137 which we did today. Have to say it was another banner day of hsing trying to teach dc syllibication. Not. :glare:

Where's the drinking smilie.

Is this a regional thing? And where have I been?

Just when I start to feel educated, I find out I don't know something this basic. :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking that it must be a Southern slurring. We tend to skim over the tops of sounds.

I remember I met a man from England. Martin. No, not Martin. He couldn't understand why we didn't pronounce (stress, really) the 't' sound. MAR -Tin. We soften the sound so much it's almost a 'd.' Lazy tongues. :blushing:

Hope I can still hang around even though I didn't know there was another way to pronounce WILL-yum. No wonder our kiddos have difficulties hearing vowel sounds. We don't even SAY all of them.

Edited by BamaTanya

My own vote is for two syllables. One reason is that I relate the English name "William" to the Germanic name "Wilhelm" (which has two syllables, I'm thinking). Other reason is that my mind also keys in to the Russian letter "Я" (which maybe won't be able to show up here), a sound rendered in English transliteration as "ya" or "ia". Third, and perhaps primary reason is that I never have heard the name pronounced with three syllables.

Nonetheless, the case made for three syllables is persuasive !

I'm thinking that it must be a Southern slurring. We tend to skim over the tops of sounds.

I don't think it's regional - the four I mentioned grew up in Columbus, OH; Cleveland, OH (which as you OH afficiandos know is A LOT different than Columbus:D); NC; and GA, respectively.

I don't think it's regional - the four I mentioned grew up in Columbus, OH; Cleveland, OH (which as you OH afficiandos know is A LOT different than Columbus:D); NC; and GA, respectively.

I'm in GA and I say Will-ee-um, granted the 'ee' part is very quick and not very noticable. Most people I know pronounce it the same way.

BUT...I balk when I hear my name pronounced, She-uh-la or Sheil-uh. In my ear, it's Shee-la.

That names are important to people, and while you might be correct linguistically, I would always call a person what they call themselves. I someone introduces himself as Will-yum than his name is Will-yum. That rule of politeness would trump any rule of linguistics in my book, because truly there are few things more obnoxious than someone who insists on calling someone something other than what they call themselves because they have decided that you can't pronounce their name the way they choose.

I have a friend named Ana. The first "a" is pronounced like "au" as in "autism." Once we had a student we hosted from England who was convinced that her name simply couldn't be pronounced that way because it wasn't standard English. Whatever. It was quite rude to hear him call here something other than what she chose.

So I wouldn't force "Will-ee-am" down the throat of anyone who wanted to be Will-yum.

THis works for me! LOL!!

Husband (the Texan contribution) is outnumbered in the family - the boys and I all sound Brit. And then there's the question of syllables in 'zebra': is it 'zeb-ra' or 'zee-bra'. Again, it depends with whom you are talking.

Laura

I've never heard that name said with three syllables and I can't even imagine how it would sound even with all the examples.

Here, on youtube, I recorded my ds and myself saying William. My dd didn't want to be left out. :)

As you can see, my ds does say it normally with 3 syllables (very subtle!) but when he breaks it down into syllables, he says it in 2: Will yum.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

BUT...I balk when I hear my name pronounced, She-uh-la or Sheil-uh. In my ear, it's Shee-la.

This reminds me of a dear friend who taught me the difference between Lori and LAUrie. It took a while, but I finally get it!

Another friend has a grandma Naomi - pronounced Nelma!

And a lovely lady at church who is Mar-goT, even though I want to say Mar-gO.

And more than once I've had people correct my pronounciation of my last name! I can never understand why someone would do that. It's our name; I would think others would defer to our pronounciation! (So Will-yem or Wil-li-am depends on which William you're talking to, I guess.)

In my mind I think of it now as three, because we have a boy on our soccer team whose name is Willem, and I kept wanting to call him William; so I've been conscious of it since then. I do wonder if and how the names Willem and William are related.

I might be wrong about that though.

Laura

Isn't Willem a Dutch name?

You know, we actually have a cluster of Dutch families living here, but this particular child belongs to a British family... we also have a Jurien, Tomas, etc.

What I found funny, when my ds 11 is working on Logic Liftoff puzzles, he has to ask me what gender the kids are in the puzzle -- he's just not around enough kids with names like Greg, Gary, Meghan, etc. to know lol.

Husband (the Texan contribution) is outnumbered in the family - the boys and I all sound Brit. And then there's the question of syllables in 'zebra': is it 'zeb-ra' or 'zee-bra'. Again, it depends with whom you are talking.

Laura

I have a British friend - and i can hear him saying it that way in my head.

I tend to pick up accents when i live with someone (college was interesting for this CA girl with roomies from Chicago, Long Island and Wisconsin!), so i'm pretty sure i'd not be sounding much like a Texan if i was your dh :tongue_smilie:

On the zebra - gee, i think i say it both ways! LOL!!