Menu

Want to see my ds12's Lego setup?

My ds12 is very serious about his Lego collection. He has a full table with an elaborate setup. He plays with it every day. I need to reorganize his room but he refuses to part with even the slightest item. Please understand that my son has Asperger's Syndrome and his Lego setup is an intense interest.

Jeffrey's Lego setup at photobucket

Your DS's is a little more organized, but still...we have the boxes, bins and drawers, the shelfy things, and the long desk workspace. My DS won't let me help clean them up very often. He wants them all OUT! He has a similar sized work space and plays w/ it daily. He says he needs it all out so he can SEE what he needs! I make him clean about 1/2 of his collection every few weeks when we have my folks overnight, since we use his room as the guest room. But MAN, it looks like Legos everywhere in his room, and that's the way he loves it!

Cool city though - I like that a lot! I'm sure my DS will too - I'll show him now....

I have a son with mild autism and mild mr. We have an intense stuffed animal collection! I think your son's Legos look great!!! I wouldn't change that at all, but organize decorate around how he wants them set up and displayed.

My ds12 is very serious about his Lego collection. He has a full table with an elaborate setup. He plays with it every day. I need to reorganize his room but he refuses to part with even the slightest item. Please understand that my son has Asperger's Syndrome and his Lego setup is an intense interest.

Jeffrey's Lego setup at photobucket

Why do you need to reorganize? OK. That sounds kind of snotty. Let me try it again--what is the purpose of the reorganization? What are you trying to accomplish?

Will he not part with anything? Or is it only Legos he can't get rid of.

I tend to be hard-nosed when it comes to decluttering kids' rooms, but I imagine with kids on the spectrum my usual methods might be a very bad idea.

Could you take down the posters on the wall and put up some shelves to hold the finished creations? (Assuming you are looking for more space on the table.)

My 12 yo DS with Asperger's cannot let go of things, either. I am forbidden to throw away a single Lego. I swear they are taking over his room! He has thousands of them.

Some shelves up high to store the bigger creations would help.

Does he keep them together once they are built? My DS builds them, but eventually takes them apart to build other things.

Thank you for all the compliments. Jeffrey was surprised and pleased!

Why do we want to reorganize? Because he continues to add stuff to his room without letting much leave his room. Occasionally, he will put an item into a storage ziploc bag, label it, and keep it in a special box in our attic.

Jeffrey's room is about 9' x 12'. We removed the closet doors and he has a computer workstation in there. We also have 2 small shelves on either side of the computer. It's a wide narrow-depth closet.

Besides his long lego table, he has a twin size captain bed with drawers underneath for his clothes, a tall narrow bookcase, a small table for his media (tv, video game systems and games), another shelf system for his transformers and action figures (you can see it squeezed between the lego table and the wall in the picture I posted). In the middle of the room are 2 video game chairs, a tiny table between them for drinks, snacks, and tv remote. And yes, he does have shelves mounted to the walls for finished Lego pieces that don't currently fit into his Lego city and his Hess Truck collection.

I've offered to mount more shelves but he hates moving his creations off his working table. What he really wants is another table to enlarge his Lego city, but that seems impossible. He has a very small walking space in the middle of the room as it is.

I'd like to buy a loft bed to give him space for another table. He's not sure he wants a loft bed. He said he had to think about it.

Beth,

I think his setup is VERY cool. Love it! I wouldn't change a thing. My oldest son about to turn 6 asks for Legos for every birthday and Christmas. He builds stuff almost every waking moment that he's not schooling, eating, or on the Lego website. This year it's Indiana Jones Legos. I'd love to share a picture too, which I have up on Facebook, but I don't know how to share it here. :001_huh:

His room looks about like our ds' at that age and he doesn't have Asperger's Syndrome. He is studying civil engineering in college,though:o)

When it got too crowded to work comfortably he was willing to get rid of things. Your son's room looks OK to me. JMHO.

Those buildings are incredible! Were they special sets? I haven't seen them before.

If you mean the big fancy buildings, yes, they are sets. I don't know what the series name is, but the 3 buildings he has so far are Cafe Corner, Market Street and Green Grocer. They are very cool because their setup is such that you can remove the roof to see the top floor, and remove the top floor to see the next floor, etc.

I think his room looks great!!! I love the paint color, would you mind telling what brand of paint and swatch name or number?

We got it from Lowe's. The label on the can says Valspar (the brand I'm assuming) Tawny Green (thought I couldn't find it with a google search). It did turn out great. The color in our master bedroom is called Lunar Green, another muted green. He chose his color after we painted our bedroom and he found the muted green to be calm and peaceful. :)

Does he keep them together once they are built? My DS builds them, but eventually takes them apart to build other things.

They stay together for quite a while, until he gets an idea on how to improve it. He keeps all the instructions so that if he ever wants to go back to an original, he'll know how to get it done. But he's rarely done that. I remember not too long ago he wanted to put the small blue car from Harry Potter back together. But he didn't like that it was only 2 doors so he stretched it to be a 4-door car. LOL