Menu

A VERY serious question about...

I've posted this here before, I think. But it works wonderfully! I'm more than a little concerned with what we put on our skin. I'm not convinced that all those chemicals are harmless, given how much our skin can absorb.

Another mom here posted her recipe for homemade deodorant and this was the main ingredient. So I skipped the steps for making a bunch of it and just use this.

Baking soda. I just put some of the powder on when I'm a tad damp. It doesn't keep you from sweating, but it keeps you from stinkin!

I've used Secret in the past and it worked okay. But a few months ago I bought a travel size of Degree for a trip and wow, it works so much better than Secret. I know this is disgusting, but even if I haven't showered a couple days in a row, I don't have to even reapply with Degree, where I ALWAYS had to with Secret. So, there you go!

My sil who is a missionary in Bangladesh, swears by Degree. She immediately switched to it when she went there on the recommendation of other missionaries. She always buys enough to take with her as is it not available over there. I'm not sure what the situation in Malaysia is as far as the mail, but it is not uncommon for mailed items to Bangladesh to be stolen while in the postal system. That situation has gotten better over the past several years but could still be a consideration when considering how to get supplies from the states while you are there.

I need something super strong, and Secret just doesn't cut it (along with most of the brands I've tried). I use Lady Speedstick because it's the strongest one I've ever been able to find. However, one of my kids was smelling bad even with Lady Speedstick, so I got something else for her. I think it's Arrid XXX. I am going to try that one this summer to see if it will work as well for me as it works for her.

Your personal body chemistry affects what will work and what won't, so you might want to try several brands before you leave. If it's not hot enough to really put them to the test, build a fire or turn the heat up. :D

Edited by LizzyBee

I just got this 2 days ago b/c of wetness mostly under one arm. I never sweat in the winter (actually don't even wear deodorant then) but in the spring and summer while I don't smell I do notice wetness and don't want to ruin my clothes.

Anyways it says to put it on the night before. But what if you work out the next morning (heavy exercise) then come home shower and then go to work/etc. Doesn't all the deodarant come off when you work out? So is there any effect for you the rest of the day?

I've used Secret in the past and it worked okay. But a few months ago I bought a travel size of Degree for a trip and wow, it works so much better than Secret. I know this is disgusting, but even if I haven't showered a couple days in a row, I don't have to even reapply with Degree, where I ALWAYS had to with Secret. So, there you go!
LOL!

I have used many kinds~dove, suave, degree. All seemed to be great.

But a few months ago I started breaking out so now I have to use a hypoallergenic kind(I like that it's clear also so no stains on clothes).

I have heard the clinical strength is good but I never wanted to pay 7 or 8 bucks for it.

I also bring my own deodorant from the States. I think part of me just likes seeing the expression on the check-out person's face when I dump, like, thirty on the conveyor belt, lol.

Are you just taking what fits in your allowed luggage on the flight, or are you shipping things separately as well?

I to love Secret and Degree...I think they both work well. A tip for you...buy a case and send it with your household goods. Yes, it will be expensive but at least you will have what you need. Any must have products you should do this...shipping is expensive and this way you get the most for your money.

I also bring my own deodorant from the States. I think part of me just likes seeing the expression on the check-out person's face when I dump, like, thirty on the conveyor belt, lol.

Are you just taking what fits in your allowed luggage on the flight, or are you shipping things separately as well?

No, we are shipping a crate so I plan to buy in bulk.

OK, so Degree, Secret, and Clinical Strength (which I had never heard of) are the best options. I assume all in the clear version? I actually have always used spray deoderant (Soft and Dri) but it may be time for a switch.

I agree with the trying it out.

Case in point - i have to use unscented. I use Sure unscented Original Solid. It doesn't smell on me.... it works (in the FL heat and humidity if that matters! LOL!!).

Occasionally they are out of the "original solid" and i have to buy the "invisible solid". It is NOT unscented on me.... i can't stand the way i smell at the moment, and if doesn't work as well. Not at all.

SOOO, you need to see how they are on you!

OK, so Degree, Secret, and Clinical Strength (which I had never heard of) are the best options. I assume all in the clear version? I actually have always used spray deoderant (Soft and Dri) but it may be time for a switch.

The clinical strength is a version of the Secret. HTH

Several years ago someone posted that they used hand sanitizer for stinky underarms because it kills the bacteria that causes the smell. If I use this every once in awhile I do not smell bad when I sweat. I couldn't find a deodorant that worked, but this did and I still use the same deodorant.

I agree with pre purchasing in bulk. NOW, the rest of the story no one wants to mention. Take your favorite powder for the rest of your body. Johnson's Baby Cornstarch was a my favorite in Japan.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'd stick with the Soft and Dri. I like it much better than the others mentioned. Even dh uses it (baby powder scent) and loves it cause he doesn't end up stinking by the end of the day.

what is available?

I bought the expensive 21%ingredient stuff and it worked the same as Arrid XX Dr which has 19% of the ingredient stuff. And Arrid XX Dry is way cheaper. I tried 3 of the more expensive kinds and kept coming back to Arrid XX Dry. But obviously whatever you can get will be what you get ;-)

I just got this 2 days ago b/c of wetness mostly under one arm. I never sweat in the winter (actually don't even wear deodorant then) but in the spring and summer while I don't smell I do notice wetness and don't want to ruin my clothes.

Anyways it says to put it on the night before. But what if you work out the next morning (heavy exercise) then come home shower and then go to work/etc. Doesn't all the deodarant come off when you work out? So is there any effect for you the rest of the day?

I do notice it works better when I apply it at night. I work out every morning followed by a shower. It says you'll still be protected after a shower, but I'm too chicken to try, so I use regular Secret after my shower. I sweat a lot, though, and I also do Judo 3 days a week in the afternoon.

When I apply the Clinical Strength at night (I forget about 1/2 the time, unfortunately), I notice much less wetness during the day (regular Secret left me smelling fine, but still wet).

I guess I can't answer your question LOL!