Menu

Late to this party, but my dh works overseas in the offshore oil industry where you usually have MANY nationalities mixed in working together. Anyway, he said that the way you can pick out an American, is that the American will still be trying to solve whatever particular mechanical/electrical/software issue that they are working on. Most everybody else puts it down and walks away when it is time to go home. The American can't stand to leave it unfinished until tomorrow. He said this is a big generalization, of course, but generally true. He said it is also sometimes true of the Scots (which makes sense considering the American oil industry is mostly southern, and the Scots loomed large in forming southern US culture). He said there is a "git 'r' done" mentality there that is uniquely American.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's me again.

Audubon!!!

The circuit riders!!

Our good, our bad, our ugly. How we rose up and did away with slavery, though it took our ancestors way, way, way too long and cost too much in terms of lives lost and suffering, ultimately right won out it. That is part of our culture. That is part of who we are.

And the Civil Rights struggles are ingrained in our culture.

We are more than the sum of our parts and there is no other nation like ours. Nobody is better than us and we are not better than others. We are who we are and it is distinctly us.

I really like both your posts, Kelli. There are so many wonderful cultural contributions that make up our culture it defies common sense to think we are cultureless. People all over the world listen to rock, blue grass, jazz music, attend productions of shows and musicals written by Americans about America, and use scientific and technological innovations developed by American scientists. I would also point out constitutional democracy and free market capitalism. All of these things exist because of the daily habits and ways of thinking that our culture encourages. There are definately negitive consequences, but isn't that true of all people and all cultures? Self awareness is good.:001_smile:

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sd

I am a foreigner who lived in the US for a couple of years. I have had a lot of American friends and have just celebrated my twentieth anniversary with D American H, I think that two key aspects of American culture are independence of spirit and patriotism. Both of these have both good and bad aspects - let's not get into the politics of this.

Best wishes

Laura

I agree! When I first met my husband he was quite different from anyone I knew. He has this attitude which, now have lived in US for several years, I understand is fairly common here. The " Everyone has a chance to succeed in life if you work hard enough and make smart choices." And the "I'm proud to be an American".

Heather, I think you will see things differently once you start living outside America, I know I have. I think I felt fairly blase about "American culture" until I wasn't living in it anymore, then I found I started to cling to things that were uniquely American (to me). I wanted those things for my children. I think you will easily be able to feel what these things are when you're not in America anymore; I would have a hard time quantifying an American culture, but to me it is just those things that are part of me that I no longer see around me, whether it is food or attitudes or worldview or accent or clothes or whatever.

Of course we don't think we have an accent, and I'm sure Britishers don't think they have an accent, or Irish, etc. It still strikes me when I am complemented on my English accent -- what accent? But people know as soon as I speak English that I'm American.. they even have known from my stride, the way I walk... and I find myself drawn to other American expats (not many where I am), and we talk about our shared cultural heritage, the common things we grew up with, even though we may be from states on opposite sides of the country.

So I do believe there is an American culture, but I don't know that I can describe it... but I think you will definitely feel it when you start living overseas.

I found this to be true, as well. I'm from Texas where we do have a well defined sense of culture. Even so, my idea of Texas is quite different from someone who was born in a large city like Dallas or Houston and shops at Neiman's. Just sayin...

While in Belgium, we grew to truly *appreciate* Thanksgiving and Fourth of July and all the cultural baggage they bring. Mother's Day is celebrated on a different day in Belgium and I missed the combo of Mom's Day and my birthday being in one week. I didn't want to give up my American holidays or traditions. If we'd ended up living there for the rest of our lives, we would have adopted many French and Dutch traditions, but also kept our American ways to a certain extent. Isn't that what America has done? England certainly has changed since the days before the Roman invasion. We just see the assimilation of several hundred years in it's more complete state. I, for one, would have insisted my children honor me on both Mother's Days. :D

One of the more interesting days of our stay in Brussels was the day the grocery store put in an ethic aisle. Along with the middle eastern and oriental section, there was one with an American flag over it. Peanut butter, maple syrup, ketchup, rice krispies, marshmellow creme, picante sauce, and eventually Oreo's. Small containers and outrageously priced. By the time this little section was born, we had bonded well with other aisles of the store, so we never bought anything there. It was, however, interesting to see 'us' through 'their' eyes. To me, it did not resemble my knowledge of US cooking.

A friend of mine was born in England, but spent her childhood in Australia before moving to Texas for junior high. She is married to a Texan who has the soul of an adventurer but is not at all a cowboy. They lived in Brussels when we did. She says she didn't know she was an American until she lived outside the US as an adult. When their family returned to the States, she applied for and received her citizenship.

I hope you are able to find your answers in during your expat stay.

Every item (many food-related) that was disscussed was "taken" and Americanized from another country.

I'm wondering how long something like food, etc has to be part of a culture or how much it has to be changed ("_______ized") before it is considered to "belong" rather than as "taken". Are tomatoes not part of Spanish cultural cuisine because they come from the New World? Horses not part of Native American culture because they came with the Spanish? Swiss chocolate not part of Swiss culture because cocoa beans did not originate in the Alps? NC Lexington-style barbecue not "American" because other cultures roasted pigs and served them with sauce before we did it here or because the ancestors of the folks who are doing it came from somewhere else?

As to the ethnic origins of families of immigrants making their products "not American", certainly it shapes one's experience. All cultures draw from each other. What we think of as British culture is a blend of Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, Norse, Celtic, Roman, French and other influences. Cajun culture is a unique entity from the blending of several different influences. There is no such thing as a "pure" culture. The very characters the Japanese use to write their language are imported from China, which doesn't mean they speak Chinese.

Jazz music is not African, it's American, even if it drew on rhythms from Africa. It is that very process of "Americanization" that makes something part of our culture as distinct from that of its origins. I don't think anyone would say that the Kentucky roll I saw recently at a restaurant (nori, rice, fried chicken tender and mayo) was actually more authentically Japanese than American (though they might raise eyebrows at the concept of its existence as I did:D)

I think at root it is a lot easier to see some other group's culture as something singular or more cohesive than one's own simply because one has a more limited experience of it. The OP mentioned that she loves the food/festivals/language/holidays etc. of "Latin America" and the "Middle East". "Latin America" is made up of a wide variety of different cultures---Ecuadoran culture is different than Mexican is different from Peruvian is different from Cuban. There may be broad similarities (primarily because of the Spanish colonial influence), but it is only looking at it from the outside that we can refer to it as some cohesive entity. "Middle Eastern" does not mean that Israeli, Lebanese, Syrian, Saudi and Egyptian cultures are identical. The same with "Native American culture"---as if the Cherokee culture was the same as the Inuit or the Lakota or the Hopi. The further one is from something, the easier it is to talk in terms of general similarities rather than the specifics of one's own day-to-day experience.

We are a cultural pot pourri, Chere', like gumbo - a different experience in every spoonful! Every region we visit has a unique flavor about it: dialect, recipes, historical places and people to remember. We are unified by our differences - as the greatest melting pot on earth. Only in America do we embrace the cultural and religious heritages of ALL who have found their way to our shores. Sure, intolerance exists, too, but it's a tiny thing in a country so full of so very many differences.

Where else on earth could you live, like me, and say you know French, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Indian, German, Native American, African and other food influences? That you've eaten of those things and enjoyed them for years. That when you visit certain regions of the country, you know the specialties brought there by the first immigrants who came in?

Where else can you say, like me, that you've been to school with a large group of Indian friends who themselves have come from all over the world: Britain, Sri Lanka, Kashmir, Pakistan, and Africa, among other places, as well as India itself? Attending traditional weddings and cultural celebrations (as well as lengthly weekend meals) was one of the best parts of my college experience.

Where else can you travel on your honeymoon, like me, to Nova Scotia and see mirrored the Acadian (French) culture in which you're immersed in your every day living in southern Louisiana (where I used to live)?

Where else can you travel the Great Lakes region and experience the cultural heritage of the Northern and Eastern European immigrants to this country uniting with the Native American and French voyageur spirit? Not to mention it's the only place to really learn about the War of 1812....

Where else can you travel out West and experience Native American culture meeting and clashing with the pioneer spirit that moved this country westward? (I highly recommend the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY....)

Where else can you travel down to San Antonio and immerse yourself in old Mexico simultaneously with the spirit of the Alamo that brought Texas into independence?

Where else can you travel to a melting pot like south Florida and experience the spirit of Old Havana simultaneously?

We are not like a box of rubies, no. Nor like a box of diamonds or pearls. Opening up America is like opening up a treasure chest of pirates' loot. You never know what sorts of things will spill out. But that's what makes it such an interesting adventure....

So I would say that we are like Mother of Pearl, or the color white. We embody ALL the hues of the rainbow, not just a single color.... That doesn't make us culture-less, it makes us culture-full....

And now that I read this wonderful post, I can add: "Yeah, what SHE said, LOL!" Anne has nailed down perfectly, I think, what defines us. We are many made into one. We are an assimilation of the nations of the world. We live safely and confidently (for the most part, compared to the rest of the world) and it's reflected in our very walk (as Osmosis Mom said).... That IS our culture.

We are a cultural pot pourri, Chere', like gumbo - a different experience in every spoonful! Every region we visit has a unique flavor about it: dialect, recipes, historical places and people to remember. We are unified by our differences - as the greatest melting pot on earth. Only in America do we embrace the cultural and religious heritages of ALL who have found their way to our shores. Sure, intolerance exists, too, but it's a tiny thing in a country so full of so very many differences.

Where else on earth could you live, like me, and say you know French, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Indian, German, Native American, African and other food influences? That you've eaten of those things and enjoyed them for years. That when you visit certain regions of the country, you know the specialties brought there by the first immigrants who came in?

Where else can you say, like me, that you've been to school with a large group of Indian friends who themselves have come from all over the world: Britain, Sri Lanka, Kashmir, Pakistan, and Africa, among other places, as well as India itself? Attending traditional weddings and cultural celebrations (as well as lengthly weekend meals) was one of the best parts of my college experience.

Where else can you travel on your honeymoon, like me, to Nova Scotia and see mirrored the Acadian (French) culture in which you're immersed in your every day living in southern Louisiana (where I used to live)?

Where else can you travel the Great Lakes region and experience the cultural heritage of the Northern and Eastern European immigrants to this country uniting with the Native American and French voyageur spirit? Not to mention it's the only place to really learn about the War of 1812....

Where else can you travel out West and experience Native American culture meeting and clashing with the pioneer spirit that moved this country westward? (I highly recommend the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY....)

Where else can you travel down to San Antonio and immerse yourself in old Mexico simultaneously with the spirit of the Alamo that brought Texas into independence?

Where else can you travel to a melting pot like south Florida and experience the spirit of Old Havana simultaneously?

We are not like a box of rubies, no. Nor like a box of diamonds or pearls. Opening up America is like opening up a treasure chest of pirates' loot. You never know what sorts of things will spill out. But that's what makes it such an interesting adventure....

So I would say that we are like Mother of Pearl, or the color white. We embody ALL the hues of the rainbow, not just a single color.... That doesn't make us culture-less, it makes us culture-full....

:hurray:

Our family just had this discussion a few weeks ago. We are actively involved in an exchange student organization. Personally, we have hosted a S. Korean, two Finnish, and one French student. In addition to that, I volunteer with the organization so my family is globally connected with many nations: China, Japan, Chile, Yemen, Thailand, Norway, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Jordan, Netherlands, Brazil, etc.

It's amazing to be able to share in their cultures. However, during a family discussion, we were not able to think of something we, as Americans, could offer as a gift to a foreigner. Every item (many food-related) that was disscussed was "taken" and Americanized from another country.

In the end, I decided that cheese-in-a-can and butter in a spray butter is all-American.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you for this example as this is exactly what I was (unsuccessfully) trying to get across.

In preparation for our move to Malaysia we are doing a unit study on American culture/geography/history as compared to Malaysian culture/geography/history and this question came up (by my ds). What does America have that is:

a. unifying as in common in all 50 states

b. uniquely American as in not borrowed from another culture and "Americanized"

c. easily recognized by other nations of the world as uniquely American

It was a lot harder than you think. Blue Jeans did not originate here and neither did baseball. Even Coca Cola was inspired by a drink from Europe. This of course lead to a discussion of what "American" really means since we are almost all descendants of immigrants and as such most of our culture, food, etc. comes from other countries.

So in the end, defining American culture (as in UNIQUELY American....not just the items that are familiar to us) became far more complicated than we originally thought. And it may be that "American" is more of an attitude or philosophy of life (individualistic, freedom in all things, capitalism, etc.) than it is a distinct culture in terms of food, customs, dress.

Then, of course, my ds wanted to know if other countries are the same way at which point my head started to hurt. :D

Thank you for this example as this is exactly what I was (unsuccessfully) trying to get across.

In preparation for our move to Malaysia we are doing a unit study on American culture/geography/history as compared to Malaysian culture/geography/history and this question came up (by my ds). What does America have that is:

The thing is you won't even get that in a small country. In Sweden we have geographically distinct cultural traits. Sweden is the size of California. Has a population of 9 million. In the north of Sweden people are considered very laid back. Take their time whereas in the south they are much more fast paced. Then you have the difference between the farm country and the mining country.

I agree with the posters that mentioned that you'll really get to notice the American culture once you move abroad. But I think you'll notice it even more once you move back to the US. Every one anticipates culture shock when you move abroad, but they forget that there is also a culture shock for returning ex-pats. Especially for the kids.

I've had related thoughts fairly often. Nearly anytime I am part of what I deem a cultural experience (Native American Festival, for example) I find myself in kind of a place of envy over "not belonging". I long for the wisdom of the ages which seems to run in the blood of older countries. I admire my friends who have carried into adulthood the traditions of their Swedish grandmother, or their Irish father, and I wish for something similar in my own life.

But, I guess the collective experience of all those other cultures here on American soil, in combination with our attitudes and inventions, our ideas and ambitions, is what makes us American. We are a unique blend, and that uniqueness is our culture. I think I like how mcconnellboys said it: rather than culture-less, we are culture-full.

To me, part of 'culture' is the attitude, philosophy, outlook on life of the people. Similarly, part of the English 'culture' (whether or not it is stereotypical) is the stiff upper lip attitude. Of course, not everybody has that or exhibits it all the time. Just like not every American is rugged or individualistic.

b. uniquely American as in not borrowed from another culture and "Americanized"

We're certainly not the only country who takes and changes beliefs and things to suit our own circumstances. Every culture/country does this to a greater or lesser extent. Surely, you don't think that only those Native American tribes who didn't adopt the horse from the Spanish or French have a unique "American" culture. Some of the great Native American leaders and their cavalry tactics are still studied by our future military officers.

c. easily recognized by other nations of the world as uniquely American

There are many things that people from other nations would identify as uniquely American. I don't know of anyone (in another country) who doesn't think jazz is American. Our form of government is also recognized as uniquely American. True, our founding fathers didn't invent democracy; but, they did (however imperfectly) improve upon the concept. There were no republics with representative democracies in the world that I'm aware of in the late 1700's.

It was a lot harder than you think. Blue Jeans did not originate here and neither did baseball. Even Coca Cola was inspired by a drink from Europe. This of course lead to a discussion of what "American" really means since we are almost all descendants of immigrants and as such most of our culture, food, etc. comes from other countries.

So in the end, defining American culture (as in UNIQUELY American....not just the items that are familiar to us) became far more complicated than we originally thought. And it may be that "American" is more of an attitude or philosophy of life (individualistic, freedom in all things, capitalism, etc.) than it is a distinct culture in terms of food, customs, dress.

Then, of course, my ds wanted to know if other countries are the same way at which point my head started to hurt. :D

Your son had an excellent insight. EVERY country/culture has adopted someone else's ideas, food, items, etc. Almost no country/culture has remained untouched from outside influences or has a "unique" culture as you're defining it. The only country I'm aware of that somewhat successfully closed itself off from the world and actively rebuffed outside influences is Shogunate Japan in the, what, 16th? 17th? century. And even then it was not completely immune to some of those influences. What may be different is the time scale and the fact that, aside from the Native Americans, everyone here came from somewhere else. Our country is so new, relatively speaking, that we have a harder time seeing something as "ours". Also, it's still going on - sometimes it's hard to judge something that is so dynamic.

When I spent my Junior year of college living in Mexico, we were instructed to bring a few uniquely American gifts to share with our host families and to be prepared to make at least one uniquely American dish for them to eat. Out of the 35 students in our group, from all over the United States, no two had selected the same things. That speaks to the pluralism that is a very American trait.

I brought some hand pieced, quilted pillows done in the Ohio star pattern (my home state) and also brought a recipe for buckeye candies (the buckeye is our state tree). The pillows were a great hit, as decorative pillows were all the rage in Mexican homes at that time. The buckeyes...well, the only powdered sugar I could find in the stores had a blue cast, which when mixed with the peanut butter turned an unappealing shade of green. And the Mexican chocolate for the coating was very gritty, with big granules of undissolved sugar. So they looked like yuck coated in sand. But the family refused to let me throw them out, ate them with great relish and frequently requested I make another batch. Either they were truly willing to suffer for the cause of international relations or the candies were unique enough for them to be willing to overlook the...peculiarities.

Also, remember that everyone came from somewhere else if you look back far enough. All those people inhabiting one country came from several different places and ethnic traditions. They have just been together long enough in a small enough place that they have rubbed off on each other.

I think culture, like accents, is something that you rarely notice if it is your own. If you celebrate Christmas and eat hamburgers and hotdogs, you are exhibiting American culture. If you drive on the right hand side of the road, if you expect the opportunity to voice your opinions to public officials, if you do not recognise any kind of class or caste system...the list goes on and on. We just don't see it because it is just part of our life. And that is what one's culture is, the all encompassing backdrop of their life. Like that accent, you don't notice it but others can see it easily.

I've had related thoughts fairly often. Nearly anytime I am part of what I deem a cultural experience (Native American Festival, for example) I find myself in kind of a place of envy over "not belonging". I long for the wisdom of the ages which seems to run in the blood of older countries. I admire my friends who have carried into adulthood the traditions of their Swedish grandmother, or their Irish father, and I wish for something similar in my own life.

This is how I sometimes feel too. It makes me a little wistful.

Levis jeans? Jello? Baseball? Hollywood blockbuster movies? Were any of these on your list or all these taken from another country?

It's similar to rounders, which is still played in the UK. The myth of the invention of baseball in the US is just that: a delightful myth.

Laura

Signed Anne Rittenhouse....who's currently missing "Praire Home Companion", Red River breakfast cereal, front porch sittin' on Sunday afternoon, and snappin fresh garden beans to serve with some fresh lake perch for supper. Anyone for a Naniamo bar?

Yum, love nanaimo bars. But everyone remember they're Canadian, eh?

Culture is something Canadians obsess about. Mostly because we feel our culture is being swamped by American culture. So yeah, you have a culture & we spend a lot of time trying to hold it at bay.

Also, dh & ds recently rented out DVD's of Ask This Old House and I cannot get over how the people speak. I don't even know where they are? Somewhere in the NE I think..... I mean the name Mark comes out as Maaac. It's very cute.

signed hornblower, who lives a 2h ferry ride away from Nanaimo

It's similar to rounders, which is still played in the UK. The myth of the invention of baseball in the US is just that: a delightful myth.

Laura

Similar is not the same. Baseball, as played in the United States, was developed in the United States. I know of rounders. It's not baseball. It's rounders.

Similar is not the same. Baseball, as played in the United States, was developed in the United States. I know of rounders. It's not baseball. It's rounders.

'Base ball' is mentioned by name in the UK in the first decades of the 19th Century.

Laura

I agree with those who say that you'll have to leave America and be immersed in another culture to be able to clearly see what is purely American.

When my mother lived in England for two years, she missed hearty laughter. But that's not really "culture"; the laughter is more of an American personality vs culture. Guess it depends on how you define "culture."

We like to think of ourselves as being independent, strong, outgoing, and friendly. Don't really know if we are compared to other countries.

Oh, and as an aside: if Americans were to learn a 2nd or 3rd language, which one would we learn? I always thought that Europeans learned another language because they could just pop over into another country for breakfast and a 3rd country for lunch. When you're that close to 30 other countries, it's good to learn their languages because you'll use them often.

And I thought that non-European countries learned English because America has been a super-power for a number of years and if other countries wanted to do business with the super-power, they had to learn English. And this was right on the heels of everyone learning English because England was an Empire. There was the saying, The sun never sets on the British empire. And didn't that last until even the early 1900's? At least in the 1800s.

So, if Americans were to learn a new language--which one? A middle eastern one? An Asia one? One of the European languages? Which language would help us in business or day to day dealings?

I agree with those who say that you'll have to leave America and be immersed in another culture to be able to clearly see what is purely American.

When my mother lived in England for two years, she missed hearty laughter. But that's not really "culture"; the laughter is more of an American personality vs culture. Guess it depends on how you define "culture."

We like to think of ourselves as being independent, strong, outgoing, and friendly. Don't really know if we are compared to other countries.

Oh, and as an aside: if Americans were to learn a 2nd or 3rd language, which one would we learn? I always thought that Europeans learned another language because they could just pop over into another country for breakfast and a 3rd country for lunch. When you're that close to 30 other countries, it's good to learn their languages because you'll use them often.

And I thought that non-European countries learned English because America has been a super-power for a number of years and if other countries wanted to do business with the super-power, they had to learn English. And this was right on the heels of everyone learning English because England was an Empire. There was the saying, The sun never sets on the British empire. And didn't that last until even the early 1900's? At least in the 1800s.

So, if Americans were to learn a new language--which one? A middle eastern one? An Asia one? One of the European languages? Which language would help us in business or day to day dealings?

These are excellent questions! I thought about teaching the kids Mandarin (well, not me but a tutor) becuase China is supposed to be the next up and coming super power nation. But others told me that the Chinese are learning English so fast that it probably won't be necessary to learn Mandarin.

It seems to me that a lot of distinctly American phenomena have been dismissed in this thread because they were derived from or inspired by other cultures. My question is: SO WHAT? So what if baseball was invented in Britain? It has NEVER been in Britain what it is in America. Not only is baseball American, it is an absolute icon of American culture. So what if the the history of blue jeans involves Genoa? When people the world over think of blue jeans, they think of America not Genoa!

Every single culture on this planet is derived from another culture. That doesn't mean that there is no distinction between cultures. American culture isn't any less valid or unique just because it is derivative. Yes, we may have taken things from other cultures, but we made them our own. We turned them into something new and different. And some things are unquestionably our own inventions!

I'm rather amused at finding myself arguing this. I am so very not patriotic, and I've been pretty down on American culture most of my adult life. But I guess I'm surprised at the effort to dismiss American culture as non-existent. I can't even imagine arguing that any group of people doesn't have a culture. That seems a strange point to try to make. Wherever there is a collective group of human beings, there is a culture.

Some of the things that I think of when I think of American culture:

A pioneer spirit (the very founding of our nation, the Westward expansion, space exploration).

A spirit of invention: the automobile, radio, the light bulb, telephones, computers, etc.

Baseball.

Football. ("American Football", of course. Not Soccer.)

Jazz.

Bluegrass.

The National Park Service.

Comic books and superheroes.

Movies/Cinema.

Revolutionary ideas (the Bill of Rights) and people, from our Founding Fathers to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Contrary to the notion that because we are a "melting pot" (I really dislike that over-used phrase) we have no distinct culture, that's one of the things that defines American culture!

I'll just close with a smilie I never thought I'd use...

:patriot:

Edited by GretaLynne

The thousands of Japanese that thronged to our open base event yesterday certainly seem to believe that there is something of a distinctive American culture.

They were lined up in very long lines for American pizza, fresh grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos dripping with cheese and jalapenos, loaded baked potatoes, Hawaiian style plate lunches with rice, mac salad and terriaki steak. I even saw some folks enjoying plates of fritos topped with chili and cheese. And while I realize that many of these foods has some origin in another culture, most of them would not be recognized as anything but American if they showed up in that country of origin. (We used to serve fresh grilled hamburgers in Germany, land of Hamburg, but they are definitely considered an American thing).

I think that is some of what the rest of the world admires about the US. That we can so easily take a bit from here and a bit from there and create a synthesis. Pinatas are popular at children's birthdays where no one speaks a word of Spanish. We have holidays like St. Patrick's day that are readily enjoyed by non-Irish and non-Catholics. Christmas becomes a holiday that is celebrated by many, totally outside of its context as a religious holiday. (And while I wish that the Christians in America held closer to the religious aspects of the holiday, I can also appreciate that in America, a religious holiday does not become an opportunity for believers of one faith to become targets of hate.)

I think that part of American culture is that we look at people for how they behave and what they do, rather than who's child or grandchild they are. We believe that everyone is entitled to an opinon (and that we are entitled to disagree with it). And we're prone to demonstrate that opinion on bumperstickers and t-shirts.

We believe that people can fail once or twice and still be a sucess later, which in turn encourages risk taking and innovation. We do not enforce toeing a cultural, political or religious line through shame or group pressure.

We believe that what isn't specifically prohibited is permissible, not that only what has been authorized is allowed. (One of our German friends was a lawyer for their Education Department equivalent. She'd been an exchange student to the US. When she found out that we homeschooled, she just marvelled at this. SHE made the comment that this was something she admired about America, that people could just do things, without the government giving them permission to.)

So I may not be able to make a tamale or an egg roll that doesn't fall apart. But I share with many Americans a belief that almost anything is possible, given enough time, determination and sacrifice. I think that is what drew my own ancestors out of their steep sided Franken valley and what attracts people now.

BTW, despite the appearance of having no national costume, after a few months overseas, you'll be able to spot an American easily from a distance. It's not just the tennis shoes with almost any outfit or the t-shirt or the ball cap. It's the whole package. We once spent hours waiting for a train playing spot the American. Although I still wish we had something lovely like a sari or a layered dress and embroidered apron with headdress.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you guys are saying that baseball is part of British culture, but not American.

Baseball has long been referred to as "America's Pastime" and by some, even as "America's Religion". Regardless of where it was invented, it is a big part of American culture.

According to wikipedia, baseball in the U.K. is "best known through telecasts of American Major League Baseball, which have a small niche audience." (emphasis mine)

Having hot dogs with your kids at a baseball game is about as American as it gets.

And one more thing: Babe Ruth.

Yep, I think that pretty much ends the debate. ;)

:D

Okay, I've avoided this thread, but truthfully, if we discount everything that is considered genuinely American by other cultures -- Baseball, Jeans, and Apple Pie as "americanized," rather than "American," couldn't we do that for ANY culture?

Other than Rome, Greece, and China, where were things "truly" invented? Cheese, languages, customs, clothing -- don't they all have their origins in the Ancients in some way, shape or form? I wonder if you can't find "culture" because you are making your definition so narrow?

Most Europeans I know have multiple European heritages, even.

I am fascinated with other cultures. I have a BA in Hispanic Studies. I love the Latin American culture...the language, the food, the music, the traditions/holidays/festivals, all of it.

We also eat a lot of Middle Eastern food and every time we go to the restaurant we love the music, food, langauge, etc. of that culture as well.

My ds is adopted from Korea and we have studied about their customs, language, food, traditions, dress, etc.

We have friends who are Indian and we love all that their culture has to offer.

Now we are moving to Malaysia and we are already excited about the new foods, languages, customs, etc. we will find.

But it got me thinking... what characterizes "American culture"? Sure, we speak English but so do a lot of other nations and only a small percent of us speak anything but English whereas in other nations it is common to speak more than one language.

But other than that, what is American culture? We are such a giant mixed salad of cultures that I wonder if we have anything that unifies us, ya know? Like last night I was watching a tv show and one of the characters had a British accent and I thought, "I wish I had an accent." I mean other than this boring midwestern one I have.

Is America bereft of a "culture"? What identifies us? SUVs? Midriff shirts and sagging pants? McMansions? Hamburgers?

Am I making any sense?

America is known as the "melting pot."

Quote:

...in which the ingredients in the pot (people of different cultures, races and religions) are combined so as to develop a multi-ethnic society. The term, which originates from the United States, is often used to describe societies experiencing large scale immigration from many different countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot

When we were going through our History in CHOW this year, one thing I realized is that all countries "share" their inventions over time. America is no different, IMO. There are things that other countries would call "the American Way" and such...and we probably don't recognize it so much because it is what we are immersed in. I think each area of America is also a bit different...I know the South is way different from the West Coast for instance. Heck, the South is different from all of the rest of the US LOL (and I can say that being a Tennesseean and all ;)).

I do see what the OP means, though. Other countries seem more "united" by their culture...that each area is rather similar in their customs and such. I think that is why it is so fascinating to us.

Also, I suppose the only things that are truly "American" are the customs of the Native Americans, because, afterall, they were the only people to originate here. The rest came from other countries...

But is that actually a "culture"? So the overarching American culture can only be defined as "a lack of overarching culture"? If we are really just a lot of different groups with different cultures living our lives in our own way and the only thing we share is the same country geographically-speaking, then what does it mean to be American? Other than living in a certain area of the world owned by the United States and an acknowledged lack of a unifying culture and pride in that fact?

I guess sometimes I feel like I am missing out on something culturally. Don't get me wrong, I love the USA and I am proud of my country. But I think one of our problems is a lack of connectedness with one another. Everybody is busy doing their own things, being their own person, living life their own way that we lack a connection with one another.

That is just it!

What it means to be American is freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to partake in different cultural activities, etc. In other words Liberty.

Song

Proud to be American

Music and Lyrics by Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d worked for all my life,

And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,

Ă¢â‚¬ËœCause the flag still stands for freedom and they canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t take that away.

And IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m proud to be an American where as least I know IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m free.

And I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.

Ă¢â‚¬ËœCause there ainĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,

across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,

Well, thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pride in every American heart,

and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s time to stand and say:

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m proud to be an American where at least I know IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m free.

And I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.

Ă¢â‚¬ËœCause there ainĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-9_fDEsv-Q

Edited by LUV2EDU

I absolutely cannot listen to that Lee Greenwood song without tearing up. I need a little smiley guy waving a flag...

Oh, me either! Gets me every.single.time.:iagree:

I also find myself close to tears sometimes when we read history and happen upon stories of the brave men and women who fought, even in those early days, to make this country what it is today. George Washington, Ben Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luthur King Jr., and countless, countless others.

When we were going through our History in CHOW this year, one thing I realized is that all countries "share" their inventions over time. America is no different, IMO. There are things that other countries would call "the American Way" and such...and we probably don't recognize it so much because it is what we are immersed in. I think each area of America is also a bit different...I know the South is way different from the West Coast for instance. Heck, the South is different from all of the rest of the US LOL (and I can say that being a Tennesseean and all ;)).

I do see what the OP means, though. Other countries seem more "united" by their culture...that each area is rather similar in their customs and such. I think that is why it is so fascinating to us.

Is it our SIZE that makes us so diverse? I mean, geographically we are so large and even our geography is varied, that perhaps it is hard to be unified. The foods we prepare "southern" versus "northeastern" might be because we are in different climates with different locally grown or "caught" foods that lead to different recipes (even clam chowder!). Different music -- the Blues are part of southern culture from playing on streets -- can't do that too often in Maine, kwim? Or California, New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona being near Mexico -- there are some much stronger influences there....etc.

We can't forget out "country" is much bigger than most!

It seems to me that a lot of distinctly American phenomena have been dismissed in this thread because they were derived from or inspired by other cultures. My question is: SO WHAT? So what if baseball was invented in Britain? It has NEVER been in Britain what it is in America. Not only is baseball American, it is an absolute icon of American culture. So what if the the history of blue jeans involves Genoa? When people the world over think of blue jeans, they think of America not Genoa!

Every single culture on this planet is derived from another culture. That doesn't mean that there is no distinction between cultures. American culture isn't any less valid or unique just because it is derivative. Yes, we may have taken things from other cultures, but we made them our own. We turned them into something new and different. And some things are unquestionably our own inventions!

I'm rather amused at finding myself arguing this. I am so very not patriotic, and I've been pretty down on American culture most of my adult life. But I guess I'm surprised at the effort to dismiss American culture as non-existent. I can't even imagine arguing that any group of people doesn't have a culture. That seems a strange point to try to make. Wherever there is a collective group of human beings, there is a culture.

Some of the things that I think of when I think of American culture:

A pioneer spirit (the very founding of our nation, the Westward expansion, space exploration).

A spirit of invention: the automobile, radio, the light bulb, telephones, computers, etc.

Baseball.

Football. ("American Football", of course. Not Soccer.)

Jazz.

Bluegrass.

The National Park Service.

Comic books and superheroes.

Movies/Cinema.

Revolutionary ideas (the Bill of Rights) and people, from our Founding Fathers to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Contrary to the notion that because we are a "melting pot" (I really dislike that over-used phrase) we have no distinct culture, that's one of the things that defines American culture!

I'll just close with a smilie I never thought I'd use...

:patriot:

This is probably the only thing we've ever agreed on, GretaLynne. :lol::lol::lol:

Is it our SIZE that makes us so diverse? I mean, geographically we are so large and even our geography is varied, that perhaps it is hard to be unified. The foods we prepare "southern" versus "northeastern" might be because we are in different climates with different locally grown or "caught" foods that lead to different recipes (even clam chowder!). Different music -- the Blues are part of southern culture from playing on streets -- can't do that too often in Maine, kwim? Or California, New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona being near Mexico -- there are some much stronger influences there....etc.

We can't forget out "country" is much bigger than most!

I think these same differences exist in most countries (Sweden was given as an example, I believe). Northern Italian food is different than southern Italian, northern Indian is different than southern Indian, etc. I think it is more that for other cultures, we develop a rather stereotypical or one-dimensional idea of what constitutes what is authentically "x" country. There's a lot more diversity to Mexican food than the stuff we typically see (more Tex-Mex, really), there's more to the cuisines of various regions of India than curry. Yes, a teepee and feathered headdress are seen by many as iconic of "Native American culture", but they aren't representative of the actual cultures of many Native American tribes, who often lived, dressed and believed very differently. We're more likely to be aware of gradations or regional differences in the culture in which we are immersed.

I wanted to talk about what it was like to have an exchange student from Spain with my family when I was a kid. Or how interesting it's been to see little parts of the "rest of the world" and chat with citizens of other countries about the differences in our cultures. But I'm kinda thrown by the other stuff going on in this thread. :001_huh:

I was once in a situation that involved several parking spaces, handicapped and non-handicapped folks and people who were very well coiffed and otherwise nicely maintained having a near stroke over the inappropriate arrangement of a vehicle which stole their space! The NERVE! I mean, there were several more empty spots, immediately on either side, and their party included three ambulatory women and a small shopping bag, while other parties included the elderly, small children mid-meltdown, and enormous amounts of heavy merchandise that needed to be conveniently loaded up. As they drove off huffing to themselves about how rude the rest of the population was, I suddenly thought to myself that I have absolutely no way of knowing what their lives are like. They look well-off, but may in fact be out purchasing materials for a memorial service. Perhaps they've had to go out and replace beloved household items after a robbery. Maybe someone they love has just had a horrific diagnosis. Or perhaps one of their party is in fact having a stroke, which would explain that odd look on her face... ;)

Plus, ya know that print communication removes around 90% of the cues we use to deal well with other humans. So. Um... Can we take a breath and move on?

:grouphug:

That is just it!

What it means to be American is freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to partake in different cultural activities, etc. In other words Liberty.

But couldn't that be said of many countries? I know it's something you are proud of as Americans but many other countries share those freedoms. To me that is just democracy.

I'm not denying that the USA has a culture because I'm positive it does. Just not sure that that is it.

But couldn't that be said of many countries? I know it's something you are proud of as Americans but many other countries share those freedoms. To me that is just democracy.

I'm not denying that the USA has a culture because I'm positive it does. Just not sure that that is it.

Yes, it could.:001_smile: However, the OP was asking about American culture. She also asked, "What does it mean to be an American."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather in NC viewpost.gif

But is that actually a "culture"? So the overarching American culture can only be defined as "a lack of overarching culture"? If we are really just a lot of different groups with different cultures living our lives in our own way and the only thing we share is the same country geographically-speaking, then what does it mean to be American?Other than living in a certain area of the world owned by the United States and an acknowledged lack of a unifying culture and pride in that fact?

I guess sometimes I feel like I am missing out on something culturally. Don't get me wrong, I love the USA and I am proud of my country. But I think one of our problems is a lack of connectedness with one another. Everybody is busy doing their own things, being their own person, living life their own way that we lack a connection with one another.

Edited by LUV2EDU

But aren't we talking about things that differentiate American culture from other places? Freedom is definitely something to be proud of but not something different from many other countries and cultures.

It's something that Americans seem to take much pride in and laud more than other countries perhaps. So perhaps the pride in the freedom is uniquely American? Perhaps less of a tendancy to take freedom for granted than some others?

Yum, love nanaimo bars. But everyone remember they're Canadian, eh?

Culture is something Canadians obsess about. Mostly because we feel our culture is being swamped by American culture. So yeah, you have a culture & we spend a lot of time trying to hold it at bay.

Also, dh & ds recently rented out DVD's of Ask This Old House and I cannot get over how the people speak. I don't even know where they are? Somewhere in the NE I think..... I mean the name Mark comes out as Maaac. It's very cute.

signed hornblower, who lives a 2h ferry ride away from Nanaimo

You're absolutely right....after growing up along the Canadian boarder nearly all of my life. I blurr the lines of US/Canadian culture. I remember distinctly the first time in my life I crossed "the border" to another state (Pennsylvannia). Crossing the border to Canada...you did that twice a week..gas, cigarettes, grocery and the summer cottage on the lake was on the Canadian side, so was the best icecream, fireworks stands, and tylenol with codiene OTC....so I do apologize for assimilating a bit of the northlands into my own cultural heritage.

"Maaac who paaaacs hes caaaa on daaaaveway is from Baaaaston." This is where they drop the R sound regularly from their speech.

My grandmother, who lived slightly more south of Boston, in PA, would pick up all those dropped Baaaastonian R's and insert them into her words, just so they weren't left laying about.

"Mornday eeeiis warsh day. Gert some worter fur de turb."

But aren't we talking about things that differentiate American culture from other places? Freedom is definitely something to be proud of but not something different from many other countries and cultures.

It's something that Americans seem to take much pride in and laud more than other countries perhaps. So perhaps the pride in the freedom is uniquely American? Perhaps less of a tendancy to take freedom for granted than some others?

Point taken.

America is known as the melting pot:

The melting pot is an analogy for the way in which heterogeneous homogeneous, in which the ingredients in the pot (people of different cultures, races and religions) are combined so as to develop a multi-ethnic society. The term, which originates from the United States, is often used to describe societies experiencing large scale immigration from many different countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot

In my opinion, everything that is considered part of American culture can be traced back to other countries due to immigration.