Menu

Look at our new fun project!

My son decided it was time to embark on his BIG HOMESCHOOLING PROJECT. You know, the amazing project all homeschooled kids seem to do at one point or another.

He decided to research and cook a meal from each of the 192 recognized countries in the world. We're doing seven complete meals per month from now until June, 2011 - the month he graduates from high school.

He is documenting the process through a blog, complete with a ton of pictures and printable recipes at the bottom of each post. He is also posting a small blurb about each country along with a map of where it is and a few links to sites about the country. So any of you doing geography with your kids....this might be a handy resource.

And...if you've got a country study coming up and you let us know about a month in advance, we can probably add that country to our monthly menu and get a meal together for you to make with your kids.

We started out with Venezuala and made the meal yesterday. It was delicious!

Check it out. My son would love to know someone's taking a look at it. And I appreciate it, too.

Around the World in 192 Meals

Edited by JennifersLost
I'm number dyslexic tonight.

Wouldn't this make a great book? Not only as a homeschool resource/cookbook, especially if it had the recipes in it, but also as an interesting read for anyone that would like a whirlwind tour of the world and its food. It reminds me a little bit of the book "Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously", where the author decides to cook all 524 recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the art of french cooking" in a single year.

Erica in OR

wow!

I'll let my son know: he has three more countries to research thoroughly, including preparing a dish from each country. he's done Iran, Syria, and Oman so far. I think he wants to do Switzerland as one of his three, so plan that one soon ;)

he also wants to be a chef, so this sounds right up his alley [and yes Jean- it IS nice to have a kid that cooks a lot of meals, lol!].

I think this is a wonderful and impressive undertaking. It would make a great book, even if he just puts it on Lulu--I'll bet homeschooling families would bite.

"Bite." :lol:

So...do you think he would be interested in a position as a traveling chef? :D

That's a great project! My 7-year-old LOVED watching Food Network (notice that is in the past-tense, because we disconnected the satellite to stop wasting so much time, LOL!) and she's always asking to help me cook. I think in a few years when she can cook independently I'll have her do a project like this.

This would make a great book. I don't think any of the "cook around the world" type books include ALL of the countries, do they?

I'm thinking of linking another site to it that would list other resources to go with each country - basically, for homeschoolers who are doing geography studies. I have some of this information kicking around already and could work on accumulating more.

Things like books, movies, websites, etc.

Thanks, Obi-Mom!

We "did" Denmark tonight, but the recipes won't be added until Monday.

Split pea soup, a warm coleslaw recipe, and really, really awesome potato bread. Bless those Danes....not very exciting in the kitchen, huh?

When we served it up, my 12 year old said, "That doesn't look very attractive."

I said, "Honey, no Danish cooking looks attractive."

LOL - please understand, we're of Scandinavian descent. We get to make fun of our own....

I absolutely love you son's idea! I will be following his blog and trying some of the recipes. I found his blog through yours and actually logged on today to tell people to check out his blog!

-Alea (who changed her name in the sig line from the impersonal Ann, to the nickname friends use)

Edited by Kanga