Menu

Has anyone else suffered from Twilight withdrawal?

I feel so silly even asking this question, but I've know at least one of my IRL friends feels the same way. I read all the books in about a week and half and finished Breaking Dawn yesterday. What IS this? Am I just in withdrawal from the "teen romance" adrenaline rush or what? I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate for a 34-year-old married mom of two to feel this way about vampire love :lol:

ROFL YES!

I read the series over spring break for DD, to ensure it was appropriate literature. We finished break with DH suggesting we watch the movie to 'get it out of my system'. The sign of a good book is when you miss the characters and feel a sense of loss when it's finished. I tried reading Host, but it just hasn't drawn me into the plot as quickly as Twilight.

The character development was interesting. Each of the main characters had depth and quirks which made them likable. It felt voyeuristic experiencing (reading) the magnetic bond Edward and Bella had.

Yes, I'm having Twilight withdraws.

Too funny! You are not alone! All my IRL friends who have read the series are experiencing withdrawal in one form of another (me too), and we're all sensible, happily married, educated women even though we feel pathetic talking about it! :lol: For me, it's faded some, but I know when I re-read again before New Moon comes out, it will be back! :D Right now, I'm hung up on Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett! :lol:

Have you read the Southern Vampire series? I liked it nearly as much, maybe even a bit more? than Twilight. I will say, you won't want your kids to read this series, as it's a bit steamier than Twilight, but I loved it. :-) It's nice and long too...8 books, with the 9th coming out next month. Woot!

Absolutely. I read them in 3 days and was literally depressed and sad for two weeks afterwards. I felt like you...OMG what is wrong with me??? My best friend IRL read them at the same time I did and she had the same reaction. It is a bit weird, isn't it?

My theory is that you get totally sucked in and remember what it was like to be 16 again *with a kick* and then you come back to reality where Edward doesn't exist, Jacob doesn't exist, and your teenage years are long since gone. You didn't find "Edward," your mate has flaws just like you do and dam*it, it was fun to get lost in their world for awhile. At least, that is what it was for me and my best friend IRL.

Read other things, and force yourself to let go. It will ease in a few weeks, tops. :)

Have you read the Southern Vampire series? I liked it nearly as much, maybe even a bit more? than Twilight. I will say, you won't want your kids to read this series, as it's a bit steamier than Twilight, but I loved it. :-) It's nice and long too...8 books, with the 9th coming out next month. Woot!

I was just going to suggest this. Like Twilight, it aint great literature or anything, but lots of fun esp the 3rd-7th books. The HBO series True Blood is based on the first book, but let me say the books are better than the TV show. ;)

Also, I had withdrawls when I finished these and found comfort in Elizabeth Gaskell books. I think I am just feeling like a good romance novel these days.

Margaret

Um. Yeah.

My son got me hooked in the fall. I'm on the fifth or sixth reading of the series (Eclipse again right now). I've read Twilight a few more times than that, though, cuz I had to read it alongside what there is of Midnight Sun a couple of times too.

I really don't have time for this. I'm trying hard to put it away and make myself earn it by getting xyz done before I can read the next book again, but I am finding that I have very poor self control (esp. compared to certain fictional characters :rolleyes: )

The movie was SO horrible. The books are so great because the character development is so strong as to make the plot believable, and that was all just lacking so much in the movie that it was a farce of itself. It was truly embarrassing to watch.

Okay, I'm going to read some more of Eclipse... after I sit and listen to my 6yo read Magic Tree House. Yeah. :leaving:

I tried reading Host, but it just hasn't drawn me into the plot as quickly as Twilight.

I too read The Host trying to keeps some of the Twilight haze going. It took me longer to get into the book and I didn't need to read it every waking moment but eventually I learned to enjoy and understand the characters. In the final analysis, it was a good book.

I went through it, so much so the first time I immediately picked up the boks and read them again, so I read all 4 books twice in one week. THen I still had withdrawal but not as bad. I did find though when I tried to read another book after I finished that series (Inkheart actually) it took until 3/4 of the way through the book to stop thinking about the twilight saga and really get into the book I was reading. Last night I watched the movie again because I wanted to read twilight again but knew I had to be in bed before 4 am, the movie satisfied me for then, of course I started the book again today but it is a better time for reading.

I did for about 5 minutes, but the Outlander series cleared that right up. :lol:

It's so funny that you mention that because two of my friends who are also Twilight fans, immediately went straight to the Outlander books after finishing the Twilight series.

I have been looking for some new book to give me the "Twilight feeling" again, but haven't found anything. Maybe I need to go see if I can find the first of the Outlander series at the library today. I hear they are more grown up so maybe I won't feel so silly getting all crazy about a romance novel lol!

I have been looking for some new book to give me the "Twilight feeling" again, but haven't found anything. Maybe I need to go see if I can find the first of the Outlander series at the library today. I hear they are more grown up so maybe I won't feel so silly getting all crazy about a romance novel lol!

Definitely more grown up. Way, waaaaay more grown up. smiley-ashamed004.gif

And with 6 books in the series (#7 is being released this September), they'll keep you busy for more than a few days. :D

Glad I am not the only one that is feeling this way :lol:

I have read the books twice and just saw the movie.....yes I am a 38 year old happily married mother of two children who has a huge crush on Robert Pattinson :001_rolleyes:

Kind of pathetic, but as long as I keep it to myself it is not too embarrassing.;)

Diane

I was so glad to see this post, I don't feel so silly. I really relate to everyone's posts. Isn't funny how a series marketed to teens and with pretty poor writing quality has taken over all of us married ladies thoughts? My dh had to read them after me to see why I was so wrapped up in them.

We just watched the movie. We were both totally against it, but I caved in because I just needed another fix ;) But we were actually pretty pleased with it, maybe because our expectations were so low.

Anyway, glad to see I am not the only mom out there in Twilight withdrawal.

I understand completely. Sigh. But did you know that you can read the first 264 pages of the 5th book, Midnight Sun, on-line? It's Twilight written from Edward's perspective. Kind of cool. It's on her website http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html - scroll down to the bottom for the pdf file.

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed the first chapter and think that I'd really enjoy reading the whole series again from Edward's point of view.

Okay, you guys are not nice at all. ;) I've been reading this thread and now I'm hooked.

I have already watched the movie but I have not read any of books. After reading this thread I caved in and made a trip in to Wal-Mart and bought Twilight.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves! :D Now you have drawn me into your addictions. I guess I'll join you in your fantacies about young teenage love tonight. :001_wub:

I"M SO WEAK! :lol:

Twilight withdrawel is a serious issue that needs group therapy and another good read fast. :lol:

I found Mercedes Lackey's "Five Hundred Kingdoms" series right after finishing Twilight and it's REALLY good. (Granted, I don't think Lackey is capable of writing a BAD book!) Outside of the "Five Hundred Kingdoms" series she has other stand-alone books based on well-known folktales that are excellent: "Firebird" and "The Black Swan". They fit in with the Five Hundred Kingdoms series even though they aren't actually part of it.

Glad I am not the only one that is feeling this way :lol:

I have read the books twice and just saw the movie.....yes I am a 38 year old happily married mother of two children who has a huge crush on Robert Pattinson :001_rolleyes:

Kind of pathetic, but as long as I keep it to myself it is not too embarrassing.;)

Diane

My friends and I could not keep it to ourselves and quickly found out that all of us, all married 30 somethings who are smart, well educated with kids, we all have a crush on Edward. I think Robert Pattinson is icky in real life lol!

the night the dvd was released I met with a friend (who happens to be educated at Cambridge and has a phd in history and literature) at the local Book store and waited til midnight to buy the dvd. She had already seen the movie 6 times and read the book 2x. I had seen it 5x by that point.

The next night, we all went to a Twilight dvd party. We had Twilight candy, ate apple shaped cookies decorated with the words "Twilight" "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" . She put the Welcome To Forks sign on the front door........it was really cheesy but we had so much fun!

There, I just outed myself, lol!

Here is a video of a bunch of homeschooling, well educated moms at our twilight party, aka Dorks in Forks!

Twilight Party

It looks like so much fun!! You guys went all out.

Oh, that was just my friend Amy. A party at my house would have consisted of me picking up the living room and putting out a bowl of popcorn and a bottle of wine. She, on the other hand, cleaned and planned for days!

I hadn't even heard of this series until I read about it here-- I read Twilight and was hooked! I just finished Eclipse last night. I'm a little jittery about reading Breaking Dawn though, because of the reviews I've heard/read. One thing I hated about Eclipse was the stuff with Jacob. I cringed reading their scenes together and often skimmed through them. I didn't think it rang true at all... Edward's supposed to be the love of Bella's life, soul mate, die-without-him other half... yet she is lusting/in love with Jacob too? :confused: I was SO hoping he would die in the big battle scene and I wouldn't have to deal with him in book four. Alas.

So... now I'm left wondering if I should leave the characters here where I remember them, or take the chance that I'm going to be very disappointed in the end! Would love to hear some of your thoughts about this...

I hadn't even heard of this series until I read about it here-- I read Twilight and was hooked! I just finished Eclipse last night. I'm a little jittery about reading Breaking Dawn though, because of the reviews I've heard/read. One thing I hated about Eclipse was the stuff with Jacob. I cringed reading their scenes together and often skimmed through them. I didn't think it rang true at all... Edward's supposed to be the love of Bella's life, soul mate, die-without-him other half... yet she is lusting/in love with Jacob too? :confused: I was SO hoping he would die in the big battle scene and I wouldn't have to deal with him in book four. Alas.

So... now I'm left wondering if I should leave the characters here where I remember them, or take the chance that I'm going to be very disappointed in the end! Would love to hear some of your thoughts about this...

Breaking Dawn resolves a lot of the issues you raised. I didn't picture or understand Bella lusting after Jacob. I thought that she just had a deep love for him... a mixture of brotherly and friendship love with a bit of attraction (not lust) thrown in. I had a friend like that in college where maybe it could have turned into something more but it never did. If he hadn't have been in my life, I would have missed out on so much and I would say that I loved him. Anyway back to your question, definately finish the series.

ROFL YES!

I read the series over spring break for DD, to ensure it was appropriate literature. We finished break with DH suggesting we watch the movie to 'get it out of my system'. The sign of a good book is when you miss the characters and feel a sense of loss when it's finished. I tried reading Host, but it just hasn't drawn me into the plot as quickly as Twilight.

The character development was interesting. Each of the main characters had depth and quirks which made them likable. It felt voyeuristic experiencing (reading) the magnetic bond Edward and Bella had.

Yes, I'm having Twilight withdraws.

I actually quit reading The Host but someone encouraged me to keep going and I ended up liking it more than the Twilight series.

My friends and I could not keep it to ourselves and quickly found out that all of us, all married 30 somethings who are smart, well educated with kids, we all have a crush on Edward. I think Robert Pattinson is icky in real life lol!

I love the pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like a lot of fun!

I completely agree with your statement about Robert....I like the characters he plays (love him as Cedric Diggory and as Edward) but have not found any of those character traits in his real personality....which is probably for the best ;)

Breaking Dawn resolves a lot of the issues you raised. I didn't picture or understand Bella lusting after Jacob. I thought that she just had a deep love for him... a mixture of brotherly and friendship love with a bit of attraction (not lust) thrown in. I had a friend like that in college where maybe it could have turned into something more but it never did. If he hadn't have been in my life, I would have missed out on so much and I would say that I loved him. Anyway back to your question, definately finish the series.

Thanks for your input, Elisabeth! I was just so shocked when Bella started responding to Jacob at the end. All through the book I wanted to smack him for being so smug and obnoxious. And his first kissing-attack on her was downright creepy. To have her respond the second time around and admit she was in love with him was just... eww. Love him, sure, but "in love"? I thought that was just for Edward! (Yes I am whining ;))

At any rate, there is a waiting list 49 people long at the library, so I will be scouting the used book stores this weekend!

Thanks again!

Thank you all, I feel SO much better about this now! I was really starting to worry about my psyche and what this all meant :lol: The withdrawal is definitely already less today, for what that's worth. Now I'm almost afraid to watch the movie; I don't want to set the whole thing off again!

I'll look into the other books some of you suggested. I do really miss having something so utterly compelling to read...though I wasn't getting much done while I was buried in the books, so on second thought, maybe I shouldn't check out those recommendations!

And yes, I wasn't overly thrilled with Breaking Dawn, but in a way that was actually a relief because it wasn't so difficult to break away when it was over. And I do hate loose ends in my books :lol:

Springmama, it looks like you guys had so much fun!!! What a great group of friends you must have.

Mommyrooch, my apologies :lol: I never even wanted to read the darn book in the first place! My DH wanted to borrow it from a friend because he thought it was more of a vampire story with a romance aspect rather than vice versa. One morning I had 5 minutes to spare before I had to get the girls up for a class, so I figured I'd see what all the hype was about and peeked into the middle of the book. Thirty minutes later... :lol: We barely made it to the class on time! And then I expected the second one to be lame, because sequels usually are, and ugh! It was just as riveting--if not more so, because I could so totally identify with everything she was going through (without giving too much away, DH and I went through a very similar phase in our early relationship, so it was so REAL to me).

Thank you all again for the group therapy. It IS a huge relief to know I'm not alone, and that the whole thing fades after a little while!

Guest mdtiger

Okay, I have to say I totally agree.:iagree:I am a slow reader so it took me 3 weeks to finish this series. I was completely wrapped up in the impossible love story, especially since it worked out for Edward and Bella, not so impossible afterall. I just got my friend IRL to read them and she can't put them down.

I am still suffering withdrawls from this series. I have never re-read a book but feel that I will have to go back and re-read this series. It is calling me to.:lol:

I suferred from withdrawal badly...but I was also glad to get my life back.

i dont normally read fiction because if its good- well, if it grips me- it takes over my life. Twilight did. A few other series have done that (Robin Hobb's Assassin series did it). The family dont get fed. Schoolwork seems unimportant.

Its good there was an end to Twilight. I havent seen the movie yet.

I was a bit shocked that I could......want to be a vampire so much.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your input, Elisabeth! I was just so shocked when Bella started responding to Jacob at the end. All through the book I wanted to smack him for being so smug and obnoxious. And his first kissing-attack on her was downright creepy. To have her respond the second time around and admit she was in love with him was just... eww. Love him, sure, but "in love"? I thought that was just for Edward! (Yes I am whining ;))

At any rate, there is a waiting list 49 people long at the library, so I will be scouting the used book stores this weekend!

Thanks again!

I was on the waiting list (81 days) until the librarian told me about the large print edition that had not been checked out. I jumped on that opportunity and had Breaking Dawn about a 6 weeks before I thought I would.

I suferred from withdrawal badly...but I was also glad to get my life back.

i dont normally read fiction because if its good- well, if it grips me- it takes over my life. Twilight did. A few other series have done that (Robin Hobb's Assassin series did it). The family dont get fed. Schoolwork seems unimportant.

Its good there was an end to Twilight. I havent seen the movie yet.

I was a bit shocked that I could......want to be a vampire so much.

:lol: :lol::lol:

I'm literally laughing out loud at this, Peela!! I may have to branch out and read this series.

I was on the waiting list (81 days) until the librarian told me about the large print edition that had not been checked out. I jumped on that opportunity and had Breaking Dawn about a 6 weeks before I thought I would.

Thanks, Dragon Academy! I did get my hands on a copy. Man it is HUGE! I can't imagine the size of the large print edition-- is it two volumes?? :lol:

So far so good... I'm glad I decided to read the fourth one. Though I didn't like being in Jacob's head for book two, I'm enjoying it. And wow, the Bella I knew is gone... that is taking some getting used to!

I just started Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series. It's Twilight for adults. Good stuff! Not as gripping from a romantic standpoint, but it's still a fun read. I just started book 3.

I read "Outlander", but I got stuck on Fiery Cross. Maybe I'll pick it up again soon...

Nothing has affected me like Twilight did, and I'm so glad! I was so...depressed that those books were over when I was done. I read them twice, just to get over myself! Ugh.

Okay, so I'm assuming they get better.

I've been listening to Twilight as an audiobook and got stuck about 3/4 of the way through. I can't make myself pick it up again. So...the plot picks up? Is that what I'm hearing here? The first half or so really had me.

You know what I don't like? Edward's super-human strength. I'm fine with the mind-reading. I'm fine with the vampire stuff. The super-human strength bit just left me....flat.

Hmm. Actually, I think if you're not completely engaged by this point, you might not like the rest. IMO, Twilight is the best and most gripping of the four because it sets up so much of the romantic intensity. The other three books are fun reads because you're already all caught up in the adrenaline/hormone-induced swirl, and they add more depth and actual story line (drama, danger, a bit of travel, adventure, agony, more development of a few other characters, etc.). Most of the people (OK, women!) I know think that the first and third books are the best ones. So if you're not enjoying it by now, I don't think you'll enjoy the others any more. Of course, this is just my opinion!

Also, I wonder how much the audio version factored in. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much on audio. I listened to the third book (Eclipse) on CD, and I really didn't feel as connected to it. When I read a book, I feel like I'm living it. When I listen, it just doesn't work the same way. Or maybe it's just not your thing :D You're probably better off!