Menu

What is happening in your gardens?

Not much yet . . .I'm planning on starting my tomatoes soon (indoors), but last year we had a freeze on June 1 and so I try not to get a too early start on stuff. I'll plant my peas next month, but other than cleaning up debris from last year, things will have to wait a couple more months!

Lots of dirt. (Lots of weeds. *blush*)

We hauled in some new planting mix because my compost needs another year to age, and we're starting some new planting beds. So I've been hauling dirt with my boys, digging up the existing raised beds and starting new beds. And I'm weeding, since I didn't mulch between my garden beds last fall.

I've planted potatoes, shelling peas, snap peas, spinach and onions. But right now it looks like a whole lot of dirt.

In two weeks (or so, when I get around to it) I get to open the "April" bag and get started on carrots, beets, more spinach, and whatever else is in the bag. I've forgotten already! I can't wait. I love to garden.

Cat

Last week when it was warm, I started on a hole for an apple tree. We have heavy clay so a hole is a lot of work. It is deep enough, now just working on the width. I need to dig spot for berry bushes then I'm going to the nursery to pick them all up. We can't plant anything in the ground until mid-May except trees and such. So my compost is finishing, and I'm digging and turning the dirt for the future. But today is just snow and the forecast for the rest of the week is the same.

What's happening my garden? Nothing, since it's still March. We've had occasional snow (nothing major) this month and spring is when it typically dumps rain a good deal. We put some lettuce starts in the greenhouse the other day and we have to settle for that so far. It'll be a month or so before it's even worth it to till. Unforunately, it's often mid-summer (July) here before one truly starts eating from the garden.

What's happening my garden? Nothing, since it's still March. We've had occasional snow (nothing major) this month and spring is when it typically dumps rain a good deal. We put some lettuce starts in the greenhouse the other day and we have to settle for that so far. It'll be a month or so before it's even worth it to till. Unforunately, it's often mid-summer (July) here before one truly starts eating from the garden.

Wow--you have a greenhouse?? That is a dream of mine; I would love one. Do you heat it?

DH has been doing a lot of digging to get us all set, but nothing can go into the ground for at least a month here. I started 2 types of lettuce, swiss chard, broccoli, and cauliflower and some pots of herbs on Sunday, and they are currently residing on the enclosed porch.

Wow--you have a greenhouse?? That is a dream of mine; I would love one. Do you heat it?

No, we don't heat it. One wall is up against the barn, so that warms it up a bit. It's small, nothing elaborate, but I appreciate having it. I once posted a picture of it on my photo blog. If you go here http://skitoseanirvana.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html and scroll down you should be able to look at it.:)

Well, I plan on starting a square foot garden. I've been in the garage nailing the frames together. I'm going to the garden center on the 30th to pick up some compost and peat moss. (They've found a supplier that harvests the peat moss "organically" or whatever, so it's better for the enviroment than regular peat moss.)

Since I live out in the woods a little bit, there are TONS of rabbits, and I have two cats that would love to use my garden as a litter box, so I'm also making chicken wire cages to fit over my garden to keep the animals away. I've also purchased WAY to many seeds, so I'm keeping myself entertained planning where I'm going to be putting everything.

LOL! It is 30 degrees, windy enough to blow the thermometer off the side of the house, and so cold that I put snow pants, winter coat, knit hat plus hood and insulated gloves on to chase cows this morning. Nothing is growing here. We hope to get a little rain to get the grass started to green up soon.

:lol:

My little beds are a mess right now. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy tomato plants or start some seeds indoors. I'm trying to overcome my black thumb, so my garden is always hit/miss. Plus my soil is awful - very clay-ey. Only the top bit is better from my mulching and previous gardening.

I like bulbs. They're my kind of plant. Bury them and forget them... they magically grow! But it's not bulb season. :glare:

It has been a beautiful March so far--warm and windy (40-70 degrees). We have tilled the garden.

We've planted lettuce, garlic, onions, peas and potatoes so far. I've also been working the soil with my hands and removing all the pebbles for my front walk. We have large pieces of Bedford stone and I am filling in the gaps with pebbles.

We also planted the two new blueberry plants and moved the chives.:001_smile:

I built my gardens last fall using rocks from the surrounding constructions sites and following the advice Lasagna Gardening. The dirt is all clay so there's no point to rototilling. Layered composting is it. Last fall the cardboard, newspaper, hay, and manure were laid to mulch all winter. Meanwhile I was frantically feeding the composter coffee grounds, bunny poop, grass clippings, shredded paper, egg shells, veggie peelings etc.

Sooo . . . last weekend I spread the contents of my composter on the gardens, covered it with plastic to discourage weed growth and now it will wait until the end of the next month for the seedlings growing indoors.

I only had enough for one of my garden beds so I will have to buy (scrounge) some black dirt and compost for the 2nd one. Planning on just flowers in the 2nd garden because it's not as nutrient rich as the first bed.

It was immensley satisfying to rake compost on the garden.

Here in the northernmost part of Virginia (not NOVA), we've been getting our new potato patch ready. We have plowed, disked, and tilled, and taken out a huge pile of rocks from it. One rock was a big as the loader bucket on our mid-sized tractor. A 50 lb. bag of potatoes is sitting in the garage, waiting to be planted in the next week or so.

Sugar Snap peas are planted - we can't wait until they come up!

Lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and onions are in trays the cold frame. More of the brassicas and lettuce will be started soon. I hope to plant out 300+ onion plants this afternoon in time for the rain.

Next will be tomatoes, started a bit early to go out covered with Kozy Coats after growing in trays for a month.

We're just getting started, and I love it.

GardenMom

Lightning, thunder, and rain have just chased me indoors. I've been planting tomato transplants...I've bought far too many, but, oh, we should have a fine crop of tomatoes this year. Pepper transplants are going in as well. After the rain stops and the ground dries a bit, we will be seeding the yellow squash, cucumber, zucchini, okra, and corn.

Broccoli is ready to harvest...maybe even a bit over. The rosemary is in full bloom much to the delight of the bees. The thyme, oregano, and chives are putting on new growth. I have basil and parsley and bay to plant.

On the flower front, my antique roses are beginning to popcorn open. Lots of buds. The Homestead Verbena and dianthus are in lush bloom. Salvias are spiking purple. And the bearded iris are opening. The next couple of weeks will be glorious.

There are 10 little bushy tomato plants growing, 25 or so little bush beans sprouting, and about a dozen baby bellpepper plants.

We will soon add some eggplants, zucchini, cucumbers and cantaloupes.

I wish hubby had done more tomatoes. We usually have about double that amount. He decided this year that he wasn't doing that many because he can never tell where one plant stops and one begins. We usually have WAY too many tomatoes (if that is even possible), so this should be okay. I just won't be able to share as many.

I'm switching my potted annuals from the fall/winter flowers to spring/summer. I have a lot of pots, so it takes awhile.

We have 60 bags of wood chip mulch waiting to be spread around the entire yard's planting beds. Lots of weeding to get done. I'm putting in a new flower bed in front of our house.

Michelle T

The chives are out but very spindly looking still. The wild leeks are starting to come up. Dh enlarged our garden site so it will be twice as big as it was last year. We only planted potatoes, beans, tomatoes and zucchini last year but they did so well that we've decided to try planting lots of stuff. It helps strengthen our resolve to get a freezer,can more, and actually make use of the property we own.

I'm in the horrible overlap time. We're in the middle of harvesting our sugar snap and snow peas and carrots. I just harvested all my fennel and I'm hoping we can eat it before it goes bad. Last weekend dh rototilled for me and we put in irrigation and tomatoes. I've got a whole bunch of seedlings started in my bedroom, so I'll probably put some of those in this weekend.

The California poppies are in bloom (with more to follow). And the native sages are putting off a show of violet blooms, to the delight of the bees.

The orange trees are scenting the air with the fragrance of orange blossoms.

And the old roses are becoming intoxicating. Gloire de Dijon, Mme Alfred Carrière, and Mme Alfred de Rougemont are in early flower with such exotically-scented flowers that one could easily feel like a "lotus-eater." Deliciousness!

Bill

The dirt is ready and resting (and I'm waiting to see what weeds come up) right now. I can't grow a thing from seed yet - I'm a complete garden newbie - so I am waiting until the week I plan to plant to go get the seedlings. It's supposed to snow this weekend or I'd be out digging up the front walk and putting some annuals in there. I guess that'll have to wait till it warms up again in a week or so.

We are still having "wintery mix" here this week with lots of wind thrown in. I do have a couple of basil plants and marigolds on the porch from the ag expo. I'm getting potatos and onions this weekend and we're going to start plants on the porch...short growing season here.

Geez, Bill, I can almost smell the roses. I loved gardening in CA- grew an 8 # tomato there one year and had a lemon tree outside of my bedroom window- the scent was heaven in the morning, waking up.

A bit different here!

Geez, Bill, I can almost smell the roses. I loved gardening in CA- grew an 8 # tomato there one year and had a lemon tree outside of my bedroom window- the scent was heaven in the morning, waking up.

A bit different here!

The old antique French roses have fragrances so unlike modern roses, and words are inadequate to describe them. Each is unique, and while different from one another, each sets off a cascade of chemical reactions in the mind that is almost staggering. I'm sure I must sound hyperbolic, but now I understand why poets were one so inspired to rhapsodize over roses.

They make me weak-kneed.

Bill

My asparagus and garlic are starting to break through the soil. The gooseberries are trying to grow leaves faster than the rabbits can eat them. The kale and parsley made it all winter! The strawberries are starting to bloom. But I wasn't happy with that and decided to transplant the lettuces, broccoli, spinach, cilantro, and tomatoes growing on my counter...and then a fast storm came through and the temperature dropped to the low 20's. Here is my garden story: My $2.00 Greenhouse.

Tracy, We live in Frankfort, KY...have you planted yet? I am afraid it is too early and since I am a novice I would like to hear (or read) your garden plan.

You aren't very far from me! I suspect that our planting dates are identical. Your best bet is to go to your UK Extension Office and ask for their gardening booklet. It will tell you when and how to plant all kinds of things. It is very helpful, and I use it. I think it is called "Vegetable Gardening in Ky"

If you take a peak at my blog, you will have an idea of what we are doing so far. I'm just learning gardening, so I'm certainly no expert. (I'm not going after any blogger awards either. lol. It's kind of like a journal).

My asparagus and garlic are starting to break through the soil. The gooseberries are trying to grow leaves faster than the rabbits can eat them. The kale and parsley made it all winter! The strawberries are starting to bloom. But I wasn't happy with that and decided to transplant the lettuces, broccoli, spinach, cilantro, and tomatoes growing on my counter...and then a fast storm came through and the temperature dropped to the low 20's. Here is my garden story: http://premeditatedleftovers.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-200-greenhouse.html

Wowow--how I wish I had asparagus growing. We almost added it this year, and then decided to do blackberries instead. We put in 11 blackberry bushes yesterday :)

I'm feeling very stressed out now!! Because I was gone on my Paris/Rome trip, I haven't gotten much beyond buying my seeds. Today we did put in a cherry tree to replace the one that didn't make it last year. We also put in Eureka and Meyer lemon trees (I *love* lemonade!).

The kids weeded my raised garden beds, so we're all ready to go. We'll probably take tomorrow off from "book lessons", get out in the fresh air, and get our seeds planted. It's plenty warm enough to seed directly outside now.

We have seed potatoes, red and yellow onion sets, green bean, zucchini, tomato (cherry & large red), bell pepper, cucumber, radishes, watermelon, cantaloupe, and scallion seeds.

We have an ongoing strawberry patch, and we're getting green berries on our existing plants, though we have another bundle of strawberry plants to add in.

The asiatic lillies have all broken through and are about 18" tall already, and are very bushy and vigorous looking. They get more amazing each year.

Tulips are blooming, though we lost many last year, and I'm not sure why. We had hundreds, but are now down to a dozen or so. :glare: Strange. I've always grown tulips, and until now have never lost any.

I'm fighting the urge to buy some new plants for a bed we dug in the fall of last year. I'm going to be *so busted* if I buy any new plants. I'm supposed to be doing major financial belt-tightening for the next several months, and my dh immediately noticed that I bought the cherry and lemon trees today. {drat!} A woman from our church offered me huge dahlias last year, but has since left the church, and I'd feel awkward asking her now. None of my other friends are gardeners. I sure wish I had someone to trade with. I have Agapanthus out the wazoo, but I don't think filling that whole new (empty) bed with one kind of plant would be very satisfying!