Menu

Would you/have you lived in another country?

Have you/Would you live in another country?  

1. 1. Have you/Would you live in another country?

• I have and would again.
    • I have and would not do it again.
    • I have never lived in another country but I would.
    • I have never lived in another country and I would not.
    • Obligatory other.

You left out the "I am" option. I voted "I have and would again". I hesitantly say, almost anywhere. But for me having some kind of connection (language-wise or otherwise) is a big plus.

The only hard part, for me, is the family issues (being far from family), and as much as it would probably hurt them for me to say it, not from my side; I don't mind being so far from them, because to me the world has suddenly shrunk with direct flights home (nearly home) and internet video chats, etc. but to them it is still a world away; and it bothers me that it bothers them.

Between a rock and a hard place on that one.

I would have lived in certain countries when I was younger. Now we are committed to helping my parents as they age, so I wouldn't feel comfortable being very far from them.

When we lived on guam, a US territory, the biggest draw-back for me was how long it took and how expensive it was to get back CONUS. There were other negative aspects, imo, but several people I know loved it there. Not I.

Now that I'm older, I think I would only be comfortable living in another country if we were still in the military. A certain sense of security and familiarity comes with living on base, ya know?

I would have lived in certain countries when I was younger. Now we are committed to helping my parents as they age, so I wouldn't feel comfortable being very far from them.

When we lived on guam, a US territory, the biggest draw-back for me was how long it took and how expensive it was to get back CONUS. There were other negative aspects, imo, but several people I know loved it there. Not I.

Now that I'm older, I think I would only be comfortable living in another country if we were still in the military. A certain sense of security and familiarity comes with living on base, ya know?

What does CONUS mean?

I am, I have and I would do again.:)

It has been a wonderful experience.

Sure, we miss family and friends, but with internet, skype, and people coming to visit often, there isnt a lot of time to sit and dwell on what we miss back "home".

We lived in the UK for two years and really enjoyed the experience, but we were also relieved to go home. We wanted our children to experience our culture. We missed the outdoors and the opportunity to truly camp and experience nature. There were some fantastic things about living and homeschooling in London and I'm glad we were there, but I'm also very glad that we didn't have to stay longer than we did.

I'd be up for another trip, but I'd want to make sure we could return home within a couple of years.

We lived in Macedonia for 6 weeks. I very afraid to go, but my dh finally convinced me that it would be a great idea. I was finally getting used to things there and starting to like it when we had to leave. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even in a country where I didn't know the language or the customs of the people. My kids learned a ton in those 6 weeks and still talk about it, almost 2 years later.

My husband had an opportunity to go to Czechoslovakia last year. I was willing to go, but we ultimately decided not to. The hard thing about leaving the country, for us, is our house. If we didn't own a house, it would be a lot easier.

I have lived in several places in the Middle East the best being Israel. Some I would visit again and others I never want to see again as long as I live and then some. I did this when I was single and in college and some because I was deployed during the gulf war. All of it was during my 20s and early 30s. Having kids tho puts a how nother spin on how much adventure, wanderlust I want in my life. Post kids I may feel the need to become a rolling stone again I don't know. I am sure I will find out in 3 or 4 years. I voted other because there are some places I just never ever want to see again and there are places I have not seen that I never ever want to see.

I lived in Tegucigalpa, Honduras for ten (long) months. I taught first grade at a bilingual school to Honduran children using only English. Amazing experience, but I would not want to live there again, and I would not want to live cross culturally by myself again.

I have never lived outside of the U.S. but would love to do so. Dh did in his army days, before we married. I have so enjoyed the recent threads on this & related topics. Dh and I had just been talking about him looking for a position outside of US and then these threads popped up. We are now just trying to find reputible headhunting firms for such a venture. Hey, anybody know of headhunters who do supply chain outside of US? Anyway, really enjoy hearing of other experiences, both the good and the bad. Good luck with the decision making. :001_smile:

My husband and I have lived in various parts of Asia, before marriage and with children. We would love to go back to Central Asia and plan to within a year.

I really like living in a place for a year and then going somewhere else. There are so many places I want to see, but short-term traveling isn't good enough for me. I want to live there instead, even though a year isn't really very long. But it's better than a week.

There probably isn't any country that I wouldn't want to live in, as long as it was safe for our family to go. And I probably define "safe" more loosely than a lot of Americans.

I have lived in Europe for 30 years (yes, I'm one of the older Mom's :D) and would move back there in a heartbeat. I lived in Germany, Greece, and Italy - and I just LOVE, LOVE Italy and Greece.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

I would not do it now, because of the ages of my kids. I think they would not handle it well. It would seriouly uproot them, and take them from everything they have known.

I might consider it when my children are older, or I'm left with kids that are more detached (my youngest son might be that way).

I might go for a short term, like 6 months or a year, but the health of our parents would also be a consideration. I would not want to leave unless I knew they would be just as healthy, and still aound when whe got back.

There is part of me that would enjoy it, but it doesn't seem like something I would do at this part of my life, but I may at another part, KWIM?

You left out the "I am" option. I voted "I have and would again". I hesitantly say, almost anywhere. But for me having some kind of connection (language-wise or otherwise) is a big plus.

The only hard part, for me, is the family issues (being far from family), and as much as it would probably hurt them for me to say it, not from my side; I don't mind being so far from them, because to me the world has suddenly shrunk with direct flights home (nearly home) and internet video chats, etc. but to them it is still a world away; and it bothers me that it bothers them.

Between a rock and a hard place on that one.

I agree, but then I thought maybe she doesn't want to hear from those of us currently living outside our home country.

What does CONUS mean?

CONUS = Continental US (I take it you don't live on Dr. Master's blog during the hurricane season? :))

Here are some more... GOM (Gulf of Mexico), BOC (Bay of Campeche), SST (Sea Surface Temperatures), ABC's (string of islands on the eastern entrance to the Caribbean). That should give you a start. :)

I have (Belgium) and would do so again in a heartbeat. LOVED it.

There are some countries I'd rather not live in...I seem to be allergic to India, for example. ;) But, I think living somewhere is a fabulous way to experience culture, foods, and people you'd never know about otherwise.

Interesting thought...my British born but lived all over the world before going to high school in Texas friend said that being married and living in Belgium as an adult taught her that she was truely an American at heart. When she and her family moved back to the States she became a citizen. Cool, the perspective living elsewhere gives you.

I have not, but I would be willing to live in another country. In fact, it's a secret (well, not now :lol:) dream of mine that my husband will be transferred to the country his company is based out of. It would be temporary, but I would love to do it.

Same here. Dh's parent company is based in Japan, and has ties in Germany. I'd love to spend 6mos or a year overseas with my family and travel as much as possible.

I think Australia is one of the best places in the world to live- relatively clean, safe, prosperous, beautiful etc- however I have travelled and if the circumstances were right, I would happily live elsewhere. I love India and could live there. maybe New Zealand. I am not sure there are any other western countries I would prefer to live, but given the right circumstances, I am sure i could.

The first time was when dh was still in the military and was working with NATO. We lived in a little village in Germany (on the border with Holland), and I loved it.

We've talked about it since he's retired (and shortly before he retired), because there are opportunities elsewhere for the kind of work he does. We couldn't agree, either time. (Australia and a particular Middle Eastern country were the two places we discussed; I didn't like one and he didn't like the other, lol).

With the ages our kids are right now (two teens that are attached to friends and Littles who like living close to Grandma), it seems unlikely...but you never know. We may discuss it again and decide differently.

It absolutely depends on the place, though.

I'm one of those "I am..." people.

I was also one of those who said they'd never live in another country, but then well... love will make you do things you never thought you'd do.

FWIW, it was the best thing I could have ever done. The life I only secretly dreamed of having, I have here, and now I know I'll never move back. :D

Sort of.

Southeast Asia for 6 months.

Thailand mainly, but time in Cambodia, Myamar(Burma), Laos, Vietnam, and Malaysia. This was in 2007 with three kiddos.

A piece of my heart is there and I would love to go back. It is hard to think about *forever* living somewhere, but I would DEFINITELY live outside the US again and don't really have a huge preference as to where. My husband is trying to set up studies in Syria (Damascus) for next Spring.

emerald

Wow! We are a well traveled group. I have lived other countries and I would again, just not now. I have one teen that will be moving out in the fall. She has attachments to our home in Texas, and I have two children who have spent most of their formative years here. Their whole life and all of their friends are here. My married dd and grandbaby live here, my brother (whom I am very cloe to) is here. Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I'm not the rolling stone I used to be but I'm ok with that. :)

I have and I would do it again. . .

only if DH was sent there again (military).

Discovered one son and myself have smoke (cigarrette) "allergies". Do you know how prevelant smoking is in other countries???

I do realize, that some part of the States are the same way. In fact, they just banned smoking in public places in our current state just last year.

Of course, that was only one issue.

There are good and bad aspects with every move, regardless of whether or not it's here or overseas.

We just had a number of bad things hit us all at once overseas.

I have spent over half my life overseas and love it. Raising children in foreign nations provides them with a sense of culture, understanding, historical perspective, improved linguistic abilities and that certain self assurance that naturally comes from overseas life. Further it enables them to appreciate, understand and revere the United States. There is no place like the US and our freedoms are unparalleled, living overseas enables me to demonstrate this to my children on a daily basis.

I will live overseas (but hopefully not in Western Europe) for as long as I can because, here, I can shelter them from some of the stupidity that many young are exposed to in the States. My children have no idea who Brittney Shields is or who is the latest rap star or boy band. I can protect them from that and hopefully get them to the age where they are immune to whatever odd temptation such individuals represent. Further they live in a culture where adults are respected, children generally know their place and I can take them out without being as assaulted by some of the cruder elements of advertising and music that we see in the US and Western Europe.

The children have friends who, like them, are not victims of pop culture. These friends have no tattoos, odd piercings, long hair (in the boys) or proclivity for drug abuse. They are children in the best sense of the word and while they can be, and are, found in the US it seems that here they are in a greater abundance. They play games, laugh, cry, and engage in all sorts of childish enjoyment. It is a good place to raise one's young.

Of course as an American living overseas I know that if things get bad I always have a bolt hole and can return to my nation.

Finally, the unspoken truth is that many of us who live overseas do not live like the locals. We live at a far higher level and are able to afford luxuries that many of the locals cannot. This is especially true for those living in the poorer areas of the globe. My American friends, living in the Philippines, have 10 servants, the wife has not cooked a meal in years, she has a pedicure and massage every week. Is it any wonder that they love it?....Friends living in Africa have servants, a large house, an immaculate lawn…..(of course it is very possible that they might be killed in their sleep so I think they are mad for having their children there), but they love it and I can still see why.

I have spent over half my life overseas and love it. Raising children in foreign nations provides them with a sense of culture, understanding, historical perspective, improved linguistic abilities and that certain self assurance that naturally comes from overseas life. Further it enables them to appreciate, understand and revere the United States. There is no place like the US and our freedoms are unparalleled, living overseas enables me to demonstrate this to my children on a daily basis.

I will live overseas (but hopefully not in Western Europe) for as long as I can because, here, I can shelter them from some of the stupidity that many young are exposed to in the States. My children have no idea who Brittney Shields is or who is the latest rap star or boy band. I can protect them from that and hopefully get them to the age where they are immune to whatever odd temptation such individuals represent. Further they live in a culture where adults are respected, children generally know their place and I can take them out without being as assaulted by some of the cruder elements of advertising and music that we see in the US and Western Europe.

The children have friends who, like them, are not victims of pop culture. These friends have no tattoos, odd piercings, long hair (in the boys) or proclivity for drug abuse. They are children in the best sense of the word and while they can be, and are, found in the US it seems that here they are in a greater abundance. They play games, laugh, cry, and engage in all sorts of childish enjoyment. It is a good place to raise one's young.

Of course as an American living overseas I know that if things get bad I always have a bolt hole and can return to my nation.

Finally, the unspoken truth is that many of us who live overseas do not live like the locals. We live at a far higher level and are able to afford luxuries that many of the locals cannot. This is especially true for those living in the poorer areas of the globe. My American friends, living in the Philippines, have 10 servants, the wife has not cooked a meal in years, she has a pedicure and massage every week. Is it any wonder that they love it?....Friends living in Africa have servants, a large house, an immaculate lawn…..(of course it is very possible that they might be killed in their sleep so I think they are mad for having their children there), but they love it and I can still see why.

This was very interesting to read! I, too, prefer to "shelter" my kids in some ways but I also like the idea of them growing up more "globally-minded" and not so "America is the only place on earth that counts" like I did.

It's also interesting that you mentioned standard of living. My salary will be about 7 times what the "average" Malaysian makes...but I think most of them are pretty poor. And the documents mentioned that most people that work at the school hire maids! I have never had a maid in my life!

They are children in the best sense of the word and while they can be, and are, found in the US it seems that here they are in a greater abundance. They play games, laugh, cry, and engage in all sorts of childish enjoyment. It is a good place to raise one's young.

Where in Eastern Europe do you live? I have American friends who have lived in Ukraine for the past 16 years. Their kids are being raised there. They love it!

And the documents mentioned that most people that work at the school hire maids! I have never had a maid in my life!

In the "hire/not to hire cleaning help" threads a few weeks ago, some people mentioned having domestic help while living out of North America. It was just an expected thing - meaning, the local people *expected* the "outsiders" to hire them for these jobs - it helped their local economy. I suppose having the 7X salary could be like opening up a new company in a local area - a means for providing jobs for others.

Didja decide to go for it yet??

In the "hire/not to hire cleaning help" threads a few weeks ago, some people mentioned having domestic help while living out of North America. It was just an expected thing - meaning, the local people *expected* the "outsiders" to hire them for these jobs - it helped their local economy. I suppose having the 7X salary could be like opening up a new company in a local area - a means for providing jobs for others.

Didja decide to go for it yet??

Gosh, that is a good point. If everyone has local cleaning help it might look bad if I refuse? Like I am cheap? YIKES.

Did I decide yet? Well....ummmm.....sort of.:D I have a time set next week to speak with teachers and the principal I will be replacing. But if all goes well and no red flags pop up then I think we will go. Dh says we are absolutely going!

In the "hire/not to hire cleaning help" threads a few weeks ago, some people mentioned having domestic help while living out of North America. It was just an expected thing - meaning, the local people *expected* the "outsiders" to hire them for these jobs - it helped their local economy.

We were planning to stay at least 3 months when we were in Macedonia. But, I did not hire any help. I did, however, help the economy in a huge way, I'm sure. I purchased a stroller there, for much more than I would have bought it for here in the US. My grocery shopping was large, as was the shopping I did in the markets. We ate out often. I had two favorite coffee shops/bars and was there daily. When we left, our garbage was sold, I'm sure. I didn't see much of it when I went past the dumpster the morning after I put our garbage out.

I didn't hear about hiring help, though. I would have considered it. OTOH, our apartment was much smaller than our home here in the US and it wasn't a lot of work to keep it clean. There were days when I would have given anything for an elevator after walking all day, getting the produce and cheese at the market and then coming home.

Did I decide yet? Well....ummmm.....sort of.:D I have a time set next week to speak with teachers and the principal I will be replacing. But if all goes well and no red flags pop up then I think we will go. Dh says we are absolutely going!

YAY!!!! (I'm jealous!) Whohoooo! Have fun planning!!:D