Menu

If your children are hungry after supper...

Do you give them leftovers? Make them wait til breakfast? We have a pretty tight evening routine here: neaten up, cook, eat together, bathe, read, bed, one right after another. After the kids are in bed I often make some sort of sweet or baked thing that I leave for the kids for breakfast. (They're always up before me.)

Lately, during reading time, my three-year-old son has been saying he's hungry. He eats just fine at suppertime, usually. I gave him leftovers to munch while we read for awhile (and he ate all of them and asked for more), but now it's becoming a routine for him to have a second supper. What do I do? I already tried getting more into him at suppertime. He always leaves the table claiming he's really truly sated. An hour later, though, he's begging me, "I'm so hungry!" It's really hard to ignore that. Should I?

Have you tried giving him a snack a few hours before dinner, so that dinner is the last meal of the day? I would hate to start the ongoing habit of a 2nd supper. A snack before bed maybe, but not a meal. A bedtime snack for us includes protein like cheese and crackers, pb on toast, yogurt, or cold chopped meat (dd's favorite).

Kids typically eat a lot before/during a growth spurt, is that what is going on, or is it more of a habit that is forming?

I don't happen to be one of them, though. Perhaps because I have a 12 year old who has been a grazer her entire life, from nursing to now. I'm convinced she simply has a small stomach. And why not? The rest of her visible parts are small (ears, nose, hands :001_smile:) I wasn't sure how she'd ever get through a day long class or whatever, because she eats about every hour if she can - but she has matured enough to get along without imploding if having food between meals isn't an option. I've chosen to just let it go. Drives my mother batty, but particularly now that dd is older, it doesn't trouble me so much.

I do try to encourage her to eat wisely -- a piece of fruit, a cut up carrot or green pepper, some nuts or raisins, yogurt. Maybe your little one is going through a growth spurt? What if you had a little tub of things he could get to on his own (not sure what you'd want to put in it, though!)? Just trying to figure out how you could relax a bit on this one but not have it make YOU batty! :tongue_smilie:

Mine seem to do that when they are growing. I have a short list of healthy foods they can eat after dinner. For mine, I have to judge whether they are procrastinating and making a junior power play or are truly hungry so the short list helps determine need. Right now the list is a slice of goat cheese or a banana. Both are things they can eat while I am reading and both will help feed a growing child and neither will cause upset tummies later or are worth getting out of bed for if you aren't truly hungry. They share a room and if one goes downstairs to eat, it seems to cause cascading delays so I make a priority of keeping them near their beds once we get there. I can't say "No" to tearful little eyes begging for food, but I can still try to keep bedtime on a schedule.

I would just let him have the leftovers, or a small snack that doesn't require preparation, like a yogurt or fruit, or something like that. He may having a growth spurt and really is hungry. I mean, if he's eating it, and asking for more he's obviously hungry. Alot of the times my oldest will pick at his dinner then want something else. :glare: In that case, I offer him a snack that doesn't require me to cook a whole new meal, and preferably one he can get himself. ;)

My kids are in the habit of having a small snack before bed, something healthy. They have all done this since they were small and as long as they eat at meals, I don't have a problem with it.

I agree with the above opinions, you child is probably going through a growth spurt. Let him eat!

My kids can eat fruit and vegetables right up until bedtime. It's the best compromise we could come up with; they don't have to be hungry, and I don't have to live in the kitchen.

This is us, too. I don't care if they eat after dinner, but I am DONE getting food for kids by then. So fruit or carrots that they can quickly grab by themselves are fine. That way they also don't have any reason to eat poorly at dinner in hopes of scoring something more exciting later on.

I would just try some things out. My kiddo gets teary and headachy even after mac and cheese and applesauce. Since he ate well, I'll give him some ice cream, and in an hour, he's ready for buttered toast and a pear. If I'm "not sure" I'll give him a few cubes of cheddar. Carrot sticks and milk or apple is good. I'm just amazed at what he can eat!

Our kids go to bed so soon after dinner that they aren't up long enough to get hungry LOL.

How soon? He's done with supper at 6:20, out of the bath by 6:40, read to by 7:00, and then put to bed -- hungry again. Unless I heat up leftovers for him, in which case he's in bed about 20 minutes later when he's done scarfing it all up and having his teeth rebrushed.

Guest janainaz

As long as my kids have eaten their dinner, they can snack all night long. They can have one dessert, but can eat apples, cheese, healthy cereal, etc. I have a son who is nine and he is always grazing on good stuff. But, everyone is different, we are just really relaxed about stuff like that.

My boys usually take a snack with them while they read or watch a movie before bedtime. Snacks are things like good cereal, cheese sticks, pretzels, apples, celery, sometimes chips. Sometimes they'll get more dinner.

My boys are all very thin, so I feel like I should definitely encourage any eating they want to do.

I've got teens doing the same. I feed them (or rather I let them eat). They claim to be full at dinner then an hour later they are "starving". I trust they are growing. I am not strict about set mealtimes. My dd has blood sugar issues and a sensitive digestive system- she feels she can't eat then suddenly she'll be starving.

I let them snack, and just keep trying to think of healthy options to keep around.