Menu

Why do you homeschool (in the context of the Meyers-Briggs)

I'm a confused introverted ISFP My scores were:

I - 22%

S - 1%

F - 12%

P - was a single digit %, but I don't remember exactly.

With such low percentages I think I'm a bit wishy-washy and could have gone either way.

The site said I'm supposed to be creative. Ha! No, not creative at all. In my heart I know that I'm a rebel and homeschooling is my cause.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely hard-nosed and stubborn with my kids, but the deep, to the toes caring fits, as well.

I homeschool them because I like being around them, and I want us to really know each other. I feel compelled to guide, to teach and to learn from them. The journey is very important to me. I also want them to have the relationship and guidance that I didn't have in my childhood, and to be able to look back and say "it was good."

My chosen field was Psychology. However, I was once told by a respected mentor that I was too normal for it. I have my own interpretation of that remark. :D

J does not mean judging. It relates to how neat you are, how much order and control you like, and how much you like to plan things.

J's like order, planning, lists, control.

P's tolerate mess, like flexibility, dislike rules and regulations, and don't usually try to control other's actions or situations unless it's impeding them in some way that is really annoying to them.

Thank you for clarifying this! The J was my highest percentage and I was worried that meant I was really judgmental! I mean, yeah, I'm very black & white so I guess maybe I do judge people, but I'm glad to know this is what it's referring to.

I'm an INTJ. I didn't quite understand when I first did the test, but after reading this thread and the other INTJ'ers, I guess it does fit!

Now the funniest thing is that I am a INTJ with the J being the highest. My husband is an INTP. Guess who complains about disorder all the time- he does. However, it does capture something else very well- I am very uncomfortable with having my life unplanned. I like to plan and I like to gather information. How does this relate to homeschooling- with the location of our home always being changed, homeschooling is one of the few constants in our life.

Must be an INTJ motto. ;)

I'm stunned at the number of INTJ's on this board this thread has uncovered. Y'all could start your own support group if other people didn't annoy you quite as much :lol:

My INTJ daughter just started college this year. In a dorm. With other Freshmen. Dare I say it has been a character-building experience? When she was 10 years old, this daughter told me in no uncertain terms, "Mom, just give me the Math book and let me teach it to myself--I think I can get it better that way." I never taught her Math again after that and she took herself all the way through Calculus.

Most of her professors still fail to meet her standards. She still believes she does a better job on her own.

Barb

When she was 10 years old, this daughter told me in no uncertain terms, "Mom, just give me the Math book and let me teach it to myself--I think I can get it better that way."

Most of her professors still fail to meet her standards. She still believes she does a better job on her own.

I am INTP, but you could very well be talking about me.

I'm stunned at the number of INTJ's on this board this thread has uncovered. Y'all could start your own support group if other people didn't annoy you quite as much :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Too true.

INTJ daughter just started college this year. In a dorm. With other Freshmen. Dare I say it has been a character-building experience? When she was 10 years old, this daughter told me in no uncertain terms, "Mom, just give me the Math book and let me teach it to myself--I think I can get it better that way." I never taught her Math again after that and she took herself all the way through Calculus.

I lived in the dorm my freshman and sophomore years. After that, I couldn't take it any more and moved into an apartment.

Yep.

INTJ is a blessing. And a curse. ;)

I homeschool cuz I can't stand the idea of daily negative socialization at the schools, but here's my cut n paste from the other thread:

Your Type is

ENTJ

Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

Strength of the preferences %

E: 100

I: 25

T: 50

J: 22

You are:

very expressed extravert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed thinking personality

slightly expressed judging personality

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizabethB

1st letter: I/E

I is Introvert. Need alone time to refresh, large crowds draining, prefers small group of close friends.

E is Extrovert. Time with people recharges them, loves people. People really high on the E scale make a new friend wherever they go. Tend to talk more than I's, although some I's talk a lot with good friends and family that they're comfortable. E's are also less able to keep from blurting out their thoughts, even when socially inappropriate.

I am a solid E, lol.

Quote:

2nd Letter: N/S

N is iNtuition: big picture, intuition, complex systems, don't like to get bogged down in details.

S is Sensing: details, more linear look at things, fact oriented.

This one I can go either way on.

I am pretty big on facts and linear looks: my biggest problem w/ 4-H was how open-ended it was --no checklists like Boy Scouts, lol. But i also miss the old board where I could get an over-all view of a thread at a glance.

Quote:

3rd Letter: F/T

F is Feeling: I think around 2/3 of females are F and 2/3 of males are T. Relies more on feelings, better at reading emotions and understand people's feelings, tends put more weight on what someone else wants/needs than external circumstances or justice, values harmony over justice

T is Thinking: Spock is an example of an extreme T! Values truth/justice over feelings, relies on logic more than emotion, bad at reading other people

I'm a pretty solid T, altho sometimes my F breaks through.

shhh!! don't tell anyone

Quote:

4th letter: J/P

We have nicknamed this "Jerks" and "Pigs." (And we mean this in the nicest way!)

J: likes lists. (My mom is an extreme J, I joke that she has lists of her lists!) Likes to plan, likes things clean, likes schedules and order.

P: likes flexibility. Can tolerate mess, often will not notice mess around them until it gets extreme. Dislikes overscheduling and overplanning. Likes to consider options. (My husband and I are both P's, although he is borderline P/J and is starting to be a J about mess. The last time we thought about buying a new car, we considered our options for 7 years and kept fixing our old cars while we figured out what we really wanted and if we really needed a new car. My parents are both huge J's, we debated for 2 days where to move a shelf we had bought, my dad was going crazy wanting to put it up: "Just pick a spot!" Interestingly, we have bought a house in as little as a day--we knew what we wanted, there were only a few to consider, and we knew we'd be selling it when we moved.)

This is where i get most confused, but am likely more P than J.

I love lists, planning, and schedules, but I am a messy packrat

Flexibility is a MUST for me.

dh is DEFINITELY an INTJ. oh. yeah.

I'm ENFJ.

We have non-traditional living and work situations, so homeschooling is one component of the "flexibility package" we implement to be able to live the lives we want, AS we want. This includes frequent visits with extended family who live apart from us and lots of field trips/travel to complement our studies.

My parents offered us regular travel opportunities, and we're better off for it. I got to see firsthand, things that my peers only read about in textbooks. I love showing my kids the Colosseum, the Great Wall, the Mona Lisa, Plymouth Rock, et cetera. Our travels thus far have really brought our studies to life, and have sparked a number of surprising rabbit trails. I'm way too disorganized to successfully plan field trips around a schedule set by a public/private school. It just dominates too much of the day/week/month/year, you know? We're fortunate to have the ability to visit many of the sites and works that we study, and I intend to take full advantage of that.

I sincerely enjoy being with my kids (most days!). It helps that our personalities and interests are such that it's easy for us to be together for so much of our day. Family and travel are center to our lives; homeschooling is part of the package that allows us to "do our own thing" :)

My friends all say that I am very oraganized and am a planner. I constantly write out lesson plans for fun and then never use them. Lol.

I am an idealist, and my profile says that I like to help people achieve their best. And as a home educator, I have made it so that my oldest has the tools and resources that she needs to do her best (she uses the LCC model) and that my youngest has the tools and resources to do her best (she uses the traditional textbook model).

One thing that stood out to me in the test is that I don't like to be restricted by obligations. And really, I try to keep our schedule free because when we do have a lot of obligations, I get stressed.

My personality type influcence my homeschool because I am one who wants to help others do and be their best.:001_smile:

I do the planning thing too, lol. I'm getting better about actually USING my plans/ lists tho. I actually LIKE obligations, and we are frequently scheduled to do different things, i just don't like deadlines, so a lot of my plans and lists end up scrapped as I wing it last minute, and I have been known to ditch one obligation if another opportunity to help someone comes along and obligation #1 can do fine w/o me. --prioritizing. :)

Another INTJ! I homeschool for a lot of reasons but I have to admit that I am a control freak who could not possibly leave the education of her children to someone else who might not do it correctly. :blush:

I also don't do hugs with those outside my family (I didn't even have a receiving line at my wedding) BECAUSE I can't fake emotion very well...it is either there or it isn't. :D I have trouble with really emotional people, not because I don't like them, but because I don't know how to react around them. I get really uncomfortable and unsure of what I am supposed to do. Does that make sense?

So if you just want a shoulder to cry on, I'll do my best but I probably won't make you feel much better. BUT if you want someone to help you chart a course of action to help you with your problem...I'm your girl!

bwahahaha!!! this is sooo close to me too :)

I don't like people touching me.

I'm getting better at "doing" hugs outside the family --ok, heck, even hugs INSIDE the family-- mostly cuz a couple of my closest friends are huggers.

This is an easy answer for me.

It has been the most fulfilling thing I have done and I am so glad that even though I didn't want to, I obeyed anyway.

This fits in with the intuitive, feeling and judging parts impeccably, don't you think? :lol:

Also, in regards to homeschooling, here is a segment of the personality type that is very true of me, esp. what I have in bold. High expectations of my dc as well as myself is a real problem sometimes: They have high expectations of their children, and push them to be the best that they can be. This can sometimes manifest itself in the INFJ being hard-nosed and stubborn. But generally, children of an INFJ get devoted and sincere parental guidance, combined with deep caring.

(btw, I read that INFJ's make up only 1% of the population, making it the most rare. This explains why very few people understand me, LOL)

Janna,

An INFJ here too. I knew you and I were kindred spirits. Except the part of not wanting to homeschool, I could have written this entire post. When I happened upon homeschooling in my quest for an alternative to preschool (to provide some social outlet for my son who supposedly wasn't potty trained), I felt like I had come home, that I had found my calling. The counselor side of me so wanted be a teacher, but I could not see myself teaching in a classroom - just toooooo many people. I would have to retreat to my cave after a day with that many souls.

INFJ, here.

89% Introverted (only since I had three children less than two years apart, a dynamic which sort of slowed me down a bit)

75% iNtuitive

12% Feeling

33% Judging (moderately... hmm.... I thought that score was rather low for how I'm feeling about people this morning, LOL.)

Anyway, I clicked on the careers link, and came up with:

Philosophy & Religious Education -- At one point in my life, I graduated from seminary. At another point, I worked for a Christian school organization.

Psychology/Counseling -- Also, before and after grad school, I was a social worker/counselor.

Literature/Writing -- While working my way through school, I was a freelance writer/editor for a Christian educational publisher.

You see? The test KNOWS me! LOL. It's interesting to see the connections between my "personality test" and my "preferred work." And I think that perhaps, at least in my case, homeschooling combines all these traits and experiences into one cohesive package.

Now I have to go read some more of the other responses to this thread, I'm interested in what others discovered/reported about themselves. :001_smile:

Well, I am ISTJ and I am homeschooling because the public school was not working for my son. Private School was not affordable. Homeschooling seemed to be the right fit.

The decision had nothing to do with being a traditionalist or being a rebel. It was all about what my children needed.

Another INTJ! I homeschool for a lot of reasons but I have to admit that I am a control freak who could not possibly leave the education of her children to someone else who might not do it correctly. :blush:

I also don't do hugs with those outside my family (I didn't even have a receiving line at my wedding) BECAUSE I can't fake emotion very well...it is either there or it isn't. :D I have trouble with really emotional people, not because I don't like them, but because I don't know how to react around them. I get really uncomfortable and unsure of what I am supposed to do. Does that make sense?

So if you just want a shoulder to cry on, I'll do my best but I probably won't make you feel much better. BUT if you want someone to help you chart a course of action to help you with your problem...I'm your girl!

Another INTJ here! And how did you know me so well?!? :D

Does this explain my behavior at my new Bible study? No one I knew in a big crowd that we were supposed to "fellowship" with before we started. I got coffee I didn't want, looked for people I knew. Put more sugar I didn't want while I looked for people. Got a breakfast pastry I really didn't want. Went to the bathroom.

This just happened to me at a homeschooling mom's fellowship! Although, I didn't go to the bathroom; I went and sat down and pretended to be really enthralled in the handouts. What makes us do this?!?:lol:

I found this quote to resonate with me also and explains some of why I homeschool: (found on another website)

Quote:

As parents, INTJ's main goal is to raise their children to be intelligent, autonomous and independent. They want their kids to think for themselves and make their own decisions, and so are likely to give them room to grow, and to challenge their decisions and thoughts at key points in their lives.

Although this part makes me a little sad, but unfortunately it is true:

The INTJ is not naturally likely to be an overly supportive or loving parental figure. Since their own need for expressions of love and affirmation is relatively low, they may have difficulty seeing that need in their children who have Feeling preferences. If they do see this sensitivity, they may not recognize or value the importance of feeding it. In such situations, there will be a distance between the INTJ and the child. This is a problem area for the INTJ, who should consciously remember to be aware of others' emotional needs.

My daughter is so EF that I have really tried to adjust. She HAS to have that physical touch. In my husband's touchy-feely family it initially caused me much grief, but I have gotten to where I can tolerate much more touching and hugging than I used to.

I thought this description on another website was so true!

Quote: To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense.

It's a little scary when you think you're crazy all your life because you don't get everyone else and they don't get you, and then to see so many people who sound just like you! :tongue_smilie: Thanks for the encouragement!!:grouphug:

Guest Virginia Dawn

"As for my own public school experience, I hated how much time was wasted, how history was never taught in chronological order and there was no context, and how we had to do "seat work" while the slower students finished. Waste. Of. Time."

I resemble that remark. ;-)

I wonder if SWB is an INTJ? I find that I really like her as a person reading her books. I recently told my hubby that I've "found my peeps". LOL. I just feel like the WTM and those attracted to it match so much with who I am and what I want for my kids.

And I hear you all on the social activities. We've recently moved, and I finally realized that I needed to make some friends up here. I tried a MOPS group this week, and it was really painful. I need to stick it out because I do need the friendship, and there's bound to be someone there that I like... right?!?

I wonder if SWB is an INTJ? I find that I really like her as a person reading her books. I recently told my hubby that I've "found my peeps". LOL. I just feel like the WTM and those attracted to it match so much with who I am and what I want for my kids.

And I hear you all on the social activities. We've recently moved, and I finally realized that I needed to make some friends up here. I tried a MOPS group this week, and it was really painful. I need to stick it out because I do need the friendship, and there's bound to be someone there that I like... right?!?

I would guess INTJ or INFJ for SWB.

There *may* be someone you like. I found a few at my MOPS group in Ohio, but the ones in my Northern Virginia group, while nice, were not anywhere near my wavelength at all.

You may have better luck at a BSF group or an in-depth Bible Study group at your church, that is more likely to have someone you can enjoy talking to.

Edit: If you are in a big city, you could try to get a meet-up of some people here going, there's bound to be a bunch of people you'll enjoy that way!

Edited by ElizabethB

I'm ENTP, still testing that pretty steadily 15 years after the first time I took one of these tests. The only really strong tendency is toward the E, which I didn't need a test to tell me:001_smile:

I'm not sure how much my personality type says about my decision to homeschool, aside from the fact that I like to have things done my way, and having taught ps, I know my kids would be exposed to far more uninspired teachers than innovative, creative ones.

:iagree::iagree: If you weren't so much younger and cuter, I'd think we were twin sisters. :tongue_smilie: I did have a receiving line, against my will, and was amazed and disconcerted at how many old men kissed me...blech!

My scores are:

Introverted 78 Intuitive 50 Thinking 88 Judging 56

I do have emotional, extroverted friends/acquaintances who homeschool. But most of them would think it extremely odd to get their homeschooling info and support on a message board. Why would you type on a computer when you could be snuggled up in a booth at Starbucks, crying in your lattes, and angsting about whether you should change curriculum because someone you really like just changed hers...oh, and sharing your latest scrapbook page, too. :)

That was TOO sarcastic, wasn't it? I'm sorry. If there's a special subtype of INTJ with an exponential load of sarcasm, I'm in that category. :001_huh:

As I said, I am an INTJ. My dh is INTP. I don't know what my first is but it is not what we are, though yes for I. I am thinking that dd #1 is INTJ. I believe that dd#2 is E F ??. Anyway, I agree with others about not being all touchy feely. When my kids are injured or sick, I am investigating how to help them and what the cure is. I will comfort them but it isn't my first thought often. My deal with holidays is to tick off checkboxes. Presents, check, plants, check, chocolates, check. It isn't very spontaneous but the kids do enjoy that at least I do something even if not as crafty, original, or just fun like some of those other moms do.

Heeheehee...given your percentages I have a feeling there are quite a wide range of circumstances you'd consider mass chaos. I can see your eye twitching all the way over here.

Barb

HAHAHA! That is so true! I have had to broaden my horizons a lot for my extremely extroverted daughter. She requires at least one playdate a week to stay sane, when I'd happily stay home for weeks at a time conversing only through forums and IMs. I have one close friend who is very similar to me. We have decided that when we get old and need to move to retirement homes (we'll outlive our spouses, of course, because we do everything better, including living), we're going to live together simply because we both understand the need for "don't touch me, don't mess with that, and don't talk to me when I'm quiet!"

I love how many of us there are... it makes me feel right at home.

As for my own public school experience, I hated how much time was wasted, how history was never taught in chronological order and there was no context, and how we had to do "seat work" while the slower students finished. Waste. Of. Time.

I'm just a rebel at heart. :D

:iagree: Yeah, yeah, yeah... sounds like you went to my high school. I hated all of the above, plus how when we asked the algebra teacher, "Why do we need to study this?" her only answer was, "You need it to get into college." :confused:

Oh, and having to climb up the rope in gym class... or just plain having to have gym class with boys... or having to climb the rope in gym class with boys while having my period... Do you remember the pain? :001_unsure:

Honestly, I feel like I don't even see a mess. I have papers and books and random stuff piled on my night stand and my dh (ISTJ) asked me to please clean up the mess in our room. :confused: I was all "what mess?, that's my stuff!"

Strangely enough, I LOVE making lists. I NEVER follow them, but I do love to make them! :LOL:

I'm an ISFJ and the mess drives me batty! I am constantly asking dh to pick up his mess and he answers the same way you do, "Hey! That's not a mess. It's just my stuff!":lol:

I'm also an endless list maker but never follow my lists either.:)

My INTJ daughter just started college this year. In a dorm. With other Freshmen. Dare I say it has been a character-building experience? When she was 10 years old, this daughter told me in no uncertain terms, "Mom, just give me the Math book and let me teach it to myself--I think I can get it better that way." I never taught her Math again after that and she took herself all the way through Calculus.

Barb

Oh my goodness! My 16yo is an INTJ and I haven't "taught" him anything since he was about 9! I just give him the books and let him go for it.

He also thinks he can do a better job than anyone else at the things he really cares about.:lol:

I'm an ISTJ, though my S is pretty weak (11%). I found this on personalitypage.com

ISTJs generally have the following traits:

• Value tradition, security, and peaceful living
  • Will work long and hard to fulfill duties
  • Can be depended on to follow through on tasks
  • Loyal and faithful
  • Stable, practical and down-to-earth
  • Family-minded
  • Dislike doing things which don't make sense to them
  • Dislike abstract theory, unless they see the practical application
  • Natural leaders
  • Prefer to work alone, but work well in teams when necessary
  • Extremely observant, they take in facts via their senses and store them internally
  • Vast, rich inner store of facts which they rely on to understand problems which they encounter in their lives
  • Profound respect for facts and concrete information
  • Make decisions objectively, applying logic and rational thinking
  • Dislike change, unless they are shown it's benefit in a concrete way
  • Have strong opinions about the way things should be done
  • Appreciate structured, orderly environments
  • Have very high standards for their own behavior and the behavior of others
  • Not naturally in-tune with other people's feelings
  • Able to accomplish almost anything if they put their minds to it
  • Community minded "good citizens"

With that in mind, my Introvert really believes kids learn better outside a huge group setting.

I have the dedicated strength of mind to follow through with my teaching and strong opinions about the way my children should be educated. My high standards for behavior would never fit a ps mold.

Since I was hs'd myself, the "tradition" fits our home, and peaceful living and security? What better way to ensure those than to hs? Similarly, it would be a big change for me to consider outside schooling for my kiddos since hs has been the way to go for extended family for a generation, and I hate change.

I am sometimes known as a "walking dictionary", so the I have the resources to do a great job teaching my kids.

Probably because I'm a bit insensitive to dh's ambivalence about hs'ing, I am insistent that we continue on this course.

Natural leader? Prefers to work alone? Yup, hs is perfect for me.

The "j" part comes out in my choices of well-structure school programs. I can make and follow a routine pretty well. I'm unskilled in keeping house though.

I often take these tests a little afraid of the result. In heaven I get to be a nice, calm, easy-going personality but until then I'll be what God made me and ENTJ.

Here's a quote that I thought perfectly explained why I choose to home school:

As a parent, the ENTJ continuously promotes learning and independent thinking. They pass on their love of knowledge to their children, and challenge them at every turn to thoroughly understand their positions and perspectives. They expect that their children will follow their lead. The ENTJ is in charge - there can be no doubt about that. They expect their children to honor their parents, and to follow the rules and procedures which are set forth for the household.

In other words, it's my way or the highway.:001_smile:

INFP, here. All percentages were "moderate", although there were some questions on the test (in the link in the OP) that I could've gone either way on. My reasons for hs'ing though, are largely for a better education, protection from a screwed-up culture, and so my kids can explore things in depth and nurture their inquisitve natures (N). It's the blasted P's fault that things are so disorganzied, including our schedule!

I'm another INTJ "Mastermind." If you read the profile, the fact that I wrote a curriculum guide will make all kinds of sense. ;)

INTJ here:

distinctive introverted

moderate intuitive

distinctive thinking

moderate judging

- and impressed as all get-out by the "mastermind" characterization - and by the company!

Edited by OhM

9b8cd7df7ae98d9b202fac4e38ad9eafdcf2faef.jpg

I'm off to send that to my ds.:lol: When we read the description of the INTJ, we were rolling. It was like they observed him and then wrote up the type.;)

And, in light of Bill's poll...when taking the quiz and e-mailing me his results he said, "I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t answer 31 because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not even a personality question Ă¢â‚¬â€œ it is a philosophical question that is fallacious anyways because it presents two of GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very compatible perfections as mutually exclusive..." That was the question about preferring justice or mercy.;)

What I don't understand is: I scored INTJ. I am also very emotional, though. I tear up very easily. My Dad and I used to laugh about the fact that we would cry during those Folgers commercials. I feel all emotions quite strongly -- the good along with the bad.

And, though I feel much empathy and sympathy for people, my judgment side kicks in and begins assessing how such and such could have been handled differently to have avoided such and such.

Does this make any sense?

INFJ here, but the Judging was only 1%. I am definitely not organized, and, until recently, was quite comfy in clutter.

As far as how my personality contributes to my decision to homeschool, I think this sentence from the description sheds some light:

Counselors prefer to work intensely with those close to them, especially on a one-to-one basis, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes.

INFP all the way. When I read the part about only 1% of the population having that particular personality out loud, my DH just smirked and said, "figures." My thinking is very global, and I'm a very strong idealist. I "go with my gut" most of the time, and my intuition is usually spot on. Homeschooling is as natural as breathing to me. The day I post a bulleted list on this board is the day you all will know that aliens have taken over my body.:D

INTP. Heavy I, N, and T, and weak P.

I homeschool because I can do it better than the schools--any schools--can, and my kids deserve that.

No false modesty here, eh? ;)

I have coldly compared my education, instructional experience, and IQ with that of any other alternative, and I'm it. Head and shoulders.

I have no F friends. Not one. I can like Fs and enjoy myself with Fs, and Fs would call us friends, but I don't use the term "friend" so lightly and there can

not be that deep bond because they think, deep down, that I'm a cold-hearted you-know-what and I think they're sappy and delusional. I'm also too blunt for them in my most intimate relationships. :-)

Edited by Reya

I am an INFP

distinctively expressed introvert 67%

moderately expressed intuitive personality 31%

moderately expressed feeling personality 50%

slightly expressed perceiving personality 22%

It seems that I am not really one way more than another, middle of the road with the above. I am not sure how to translate that into why I homeschool, mainly because my reasons for doing so have changed over the years kwim

Edited by swellmomma