Menu

Purging the house of all HFCS items - anyone else?

Guest Katia

After doing quite a bit more research on High Fructose Corn Syrup I have decided that it does not belong in our family's diet.at.all.

So, I've spent the morning reading all the labels in our kitchen and tossing into the trash all food products that list HFCS as an ingredient. It's amazing what all this is in, but the most frustrating one was bread. Yep, 100% whole grain bread with all other 'normal' sounding ingredients and there it was..."high fructose corn syrup". Aaarrrggghh!

I brought my bread machine up from a shelf in the basement, made a place for it on my counter-top and we will now have home-made bread. This is a big, big thing for me as I'm not a "Suzy Homemake" type at all; especially in the kitchen.

Anyone else cleaning out the kitchen and swearing-off foods with HFCS? *hoping I'm not the only one*

We did this last summer except I didn't even think to check bread. And yep, it's in there. I'll have to see if there is any brand at the grocery store that doesn't have it. The biggies here were fake maple syrup, grape jelly, and ketchup. Replaced with real maple syrup (which the kids don't like so we don't go through it too fast), homemade jams, and an organic ketchup without HFCS.

I love real maple syrup, but DH does not like it.

And neither does DD.

And DH is the pancake maker in the family anyway, so he makes the cakes and she DROWNS them in syrup. I feel like a stinky old grouch objecting. But, DH's parents both have diabetes, as does his one sibling, and so our ped has told us that DD is at high risk for it as well. (DH does not have it, but he also has poor blood sugar control. So HE doesn't eat either pancakes OR syrup.)

Sigh.

So I have given up making waffles, my syrup oriented specialty, and I don't suggest pancakes ever. This keeps it down to about twice a month, which I guess I can live with.

But really, how could ANYONE like fake syrup better than maple syrup???:glare:

After doing quite a bit more research on High Fructose Corn Syrup I have decided that it does not belong in our family's diet.at.all.

So, I've spent the morning reading all the labels in our kitchen and tossing into the trash all food products that list HFCS as an ingredient. It's amazing what all this is in, but the most frustrating one was bread. Yep, 100% whole grain bread with all other 'normal' sounding ingredients and there it was..."high fructose corn syrup". Aaarrrggghh!

I brought my bread machine up from a shelf in the basement, made a place for it on my counter-top and we will now have home-made bread. This is a big, big thing for me as I'm not a "Suzy Homemake" type at all; especially in the kitchen.

Anyone else cleaning out the kitchen and swearing-off foods with HFCS? *hoping I'm not the only one*

congratulations on your decision. We're HFCS free here too. Bread was also a surprise for us. I couldn't believe it. :001_huh:

Candy for the holidays can be really difficult. There are some good places to go for natural candies to help this transition. http://home.squirrels-nest.com/ I'm thinking of Easter that's an all candy holiday. I get a little bit for the kiddos plus other non candy items.

I also would like to recommend the Nourishing Traditions cookbook for a good read on some other good nutrients to start introducing to your family. Check it out from the library before buying though. Then you'll know if you want to buy it or not.

Have fun making bread. Food's an adventure.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
It's amazing what all this is in, but the most frustrating one was bread. Yep, 100% whole grain bread with all other 'normal' sounding ingredients and there it was..."high fructose corn syrup". Aaarrrggghh!

I purged here a while back. I was shocked by my bread too (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat). The thing that bothers me, however, is that I know it did not always have it. I have read labels as long as I can remember. I know when I first started buying that brand, it did not have it. I hate the thought that I have to read a label for something I've been buying for years just in case they change. Argh!

For bread, I found that my store brand WW bread (HEB) does not have it. I had already switched to their store brand jam because it has half the sugar of the national brand I used to buy. The store brand was also the first to get trans fats out of their frozen waffles...and offer a whole wheat waffle. At any rate, I wanted to say to maybe check different brands because you never know (not that I'm advocating letting your bread machine gather dust again!). :)

Also, I find that I have to buy specialty brands or organics for other items (ketchup, barbecue sauce, etc.) because every national brand seems to have it. It costs a fortune to feed my family healthy food and I really resent it. Ten years ago, I absolutely could not have afforded to buy these products. Now I'm just steamed beyond belief that we are being given an offensively low number of healthy choices by retailers and food corps and the choices we do have are so expensive. Supply and demand, I guess, but still...

So I have given up making waffles, my syrup oriented specialty, and I don't suggest pancakes ever. This keeps it down to about twice a month, which I guess I can live with.

Actually I like the fake stuff better too but then pancake syrup seems absolutely decadent compared to the vanilla/sugar/water stuff that we used when I was growing up. Pancake syrup was a luxury I only got when I went to grandma's house. The first time I ever had REAL maple syrup was about 2-3 months ago. It's not that I dislike the real stuff it's just not what I think of when I think of syrup - it's just too thin.

Since I have stopped buying pancake syrup, we use these things on our pancakes: homemade applesauce with cinnamon, blueberry syrup (frozen blueberries, sugar and a little bit of water), sliced peaches, yogurt, or I will add chocolate chips to the batter. maybe you can turn your daughter on to one of these.

We are corn syrup free because at least 4 of the dc are allergic to corn in any form. Have you tried mashed bananas and just a little real maple syrup or warm honey on those waffles or pancakes? yum, of course ours are wheat free because they can't have that either:glare: Spelt makes a nice pancake. Dh is the hardest one to keep away from the corn syrup. He still buys Pepsi during his workday and he really needs to give it up.

We've been HFCS-free at home for a number of years. At this point, I don't find it difficult at all, but I can see how it would be, if I were trying to buy bread at a "regular" grocery store. That's very frustrating.

I do consume some HFCS outside the home. I drink Coke on occasion (my downfall, sigh), and if we're eating out, I don't worry about HFCS in some of the foods.

But I find it easy to keep the house HFCS-free.

We are working on it here. There are still a few items that we cannot go "cold turkey" on :D Dh had been making fun of me for the last couple years as I was trying to eliminate most dyes and preservatives. However, after the Wii Fit told him he was overweight and since he's been watching labels and reading up on things, he is getting more on board. (He's now lost 12lbs). I wish it wasn't so darn expensive!! Our food budget has went up and it's because I've been buying more fruits and veggies and foods without a bunch of junk in them. Not easy. I went to Trader Joe's today because most of their food I can pick up off the shelf and know it's ok. I hate reading labels.

We are still trying to get rid of pop tarts. :tongue_smilie: Dd8 loves them and we can't find a good organic/all natural one we like. I feel better, though, with each step we take. My surprise with HFCS...crackers: Club, Town House, and even plain Saltines. Good grief!

We are still trying to get rid of pop tarts. :tongue_smilie: Dd8 loves them and we can't find a good organic/all natural one we like.

I ran across a recipe for homemade poptarts. I haven't tried them yet (my kids don't even know what they are - lol), but I thought it might be a fun recipe for them to make.

There are a number of different versions on the web - here are a couple:

http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/08/how-to-make-you.html

http://asweetfantasy.blogspot.com/2008/01/pop-tarts.html

I ran across a recipe for homemade poptarts. I haven't tried them yet (my kids don't even know what they are - lol), but I thought it might be a fun recipe for them to make.

There are a number of different versions on the web - here are a couple:

http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/08/how-to-make-you.html

http://asweetfantasy.blogspot.com/2008/01/pop-tarts.html

I have never thought of making my own. I wonder if they would freeze well. I am horrible at making pie dough, though. This is something that I will definitely consider. Thanks for the idea!

They do freeze well, actually, Angel. The other thing is Amy's Organic toaster pops in the freezer section (apple, strawberry and pizza flavors). They're yummy.

We've been largely HCFS free, just as a side effect of not buying processed food and being almost entirely organic. There just isn't any in "ingredients" (dried beans, flour, fresh fruits and veggies, etc.), so it's odd for us when we find something waaaaaaaay back in the cupboard, like barbecue sauce, and we see it on the label.

Lucidity - search this forum for "HCFS". There have been several discussions about the insidious stuff recently.

We made the switch one year ago - it does get a lot easier! I've noticed many health and behavior changes in the process too.

My friend had did a lot of the work in finding the products that we frequent w/o HFCS and mostly whole grains. We mainly shop at Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and a little at Walmart. Some things that suprised us were the canned beans that had HFCS! Here's our list that we wrote down originally to help us find items easily and are harder items to find w/o HFCS:

Costco-

Kirklands Organic PB (2 pk.)

Kirklands Organic animal crackers

Stonyfield Farms yogurt

Pirate Booty

Whole wheat Organic bread (2 pk.)

Snyder's pretzels

Whole Foods-

Go Lean or waffles

Canned beans

Cheddar Bunnies (instead of Goldfish Crackers)

Trader Joes-

Crackers (several types, including cheez-it like ones)

All of our cereals, especially the Barbara's brand cereal.

TJ's cereal bars, fig bars (like Fig Newtons)

TJ's Mayonaise (I prefer Helmans, but it's worth the change)

Walmart or reg. grocery store-

Cascadian Farms - granola, cereal, granola bars

Sunchips

Anne's brand macaroni & cheese (Bunnies)

Aunt Millies hamburger and hotdog buns & bread

Polander's All Fruit jelly/jam

Heinz Organic ketchup (tastes the same)

HTH!

congratulations on your decision. We're HFCS free here too. Bread was also a surprise for us. I couldn't believe it. :001_huh:

Candy for the holidays can be really difficult. There are some good places to go for natural candies to help this transition. http://home.squirrels-nest.com/ I'm thinking of Easter that's an all candy holiday. I get a little bit for the kiddos plus other non candy items.

I also would like to recommend the Nourishing Traditions cookbook for a good read on some other good nutrients to start introducing to your family. Check it out from the library before buying though. Then you'll know if you want to buy it or not.

Have fun making bread. Food's an adventure.

Thanks for the candy link (yum!) and I'll check out the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. :001_smile:

And neither does DD.

And DH is the pancake maker in the family anyway, so he makes the cakes and she DROWNS them in syrup. I feel like a stinky old grouch objecting. But, DH's parents both have diabetes, as does his one sibling, and so our ped has told us that DD is at high risk for it as well. (DH does not have it, but he also has poor blood sugar control. So HE doesn't eat either pancakes OR syrup.)

Sigh.

Okay, I have to come clean and admit I used to prefer the nasty fake stuff to the real thing. It was thick, maybe? Here's an idea. Start mixing half real with half fake to get them used to the new consistency and then have them *dip* each bite in a small dish of syrup instead of pouring it over and soaking in. Eventually you should be able to replace the nasty fake stuff altogether.

Barb

(not that I'm advocating letting your bread machine gather dust again!). :)

Also, I find that I have to buy specialty brands or organics for other items (ketchup, barbecue sauce, etc.) because every national brand seems to have it. It costs a fortune to feed my family healthy food and I really resent it. Ten years ago, I absolutely could not have afforded to buy these products. Now I'm just steamed beyond belief that we are being given an offensively low number of healthy choices by retailers and food corps and the choices we do have are so expensive. Supply and demand, I guess, but still...

Haha! My poor bread machine. I found a good recipe for WW bread with honey and olive oil that seems to be working out great! But, I will look at some other brands ingredient lists as well.

Also, a while back someone on here posted both a ketchup and bar-b-que sauce that their dh had perfected. I wrote them down, played with them some, and came up with ones we like. They used Agave Nectar for sweetner, but said you could use honey. So, you could always try making your own.

I am also steamed by how this terrible ingredient is in everything....it's like the food industry is trying to give us all (especially our dc) diabetes, and how expensive it is to find foods without it. I want to cry "not fair!", but I suppose I'll just keep reading labels instead......:glare:

I'm interested in learning more about why HFCS is bad. Can you ladies point me in the way of some websites or books to look over?

Thank you :)

This one is my favorite: Fatland

I read this 5 years ago and have been largely HFCS free ever since. This was the book that put HFCS and transfats in the public eye. Besides, it's a really good read! My highschoolers read it as part of their health and nutrition credit.

Here is another: http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dilemma-Natural-History-Meals/dp/0143038583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234312020&sr=1-1 If you haven't read it, it's not about HFCS, per se, but about eating locally and as closely to nature as possible.

Barb

I purged here a while back. I was shocked by my bread too (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat).

For bread, I found that my store brand WW bread (HEB) does not have it.

Also, I find that I have to buy specialty brands or organics for other items (ketchup, barbecue sauce, etc.) because every national brand seems to have it. ..

:001_huh:

The label on my Nature's Own 100% whole wheat shows no HFCS --am i missing something? I know that some of the Nature's Own stuff has it [honey wheat]. i was pleasantly surprised to find that our Dollar tree carries Nature's Own!!!! the 100% WW! double fiber! and 29 grains! for a dollar!!

They also carry a HFCS-free generic strawberry preserves for a dollar. Albertsons used to carry a generic that didn't have HFCS, but I haven't seen it since. I've been pleased w/ a lot of HEB's generics.

HEB's sweet pickles don't have HFCS either.

A-1 steak sauce is HFCS free.

Some sizes of Del Monte ketchup show no HFCS. why the size difference??? did they just screw up the labeling? I've noticed the difference has been consistent over the last few years.....and that WalMart doesn't carry Del Monte.

I'm not going 100% HFCS free --just switching out some of our higher-use items. I figger I'm making up for the cokes ;)

We've been HFCS-free at home for a number of years. At this point, I don't find it difficult at all, but I can see how it would be, if I were trying to buy bread at a "regular" grocery store. That's very frustrating.

I do consume some HFCS outside the home. I drink Coke on occasion (my downfall, sigh), and if we're eating out, I don't worry about HFCS in some of the foods.

But I find it easy to keep the house HFCS-free.

We went HFCS-free before we even had kids, so I'm with you.

I think Brownberry has bread without HFCS. Since we moved near a Trader Joe's I don't recall what regular grocery stores carry ... sheesh, that sounds so snooty, doesn't it, but TJ really does make life so much easier.

And outside the house I don't much worry.

If you are just beginning to read labels, be sure to check out the labels on canned veggies...particularly tomatoes. Some are full of the stuff.

Barb

Yes, the item that shocked me the most to find HFCS on the label was diced tomatoes! It didn't even occur to look at the vegetables on my initial purge.

I'm not going 100% HFCS free --just switching out some of our higher-use items. I figger I'm making up for the cokes ;)

If you go to the Mexican food section of Walmart you can find cokes made with sugar, but they are imported from Mexico (so there is the whole buying American debate). My dc prefer their coke with sugar instead of HFCS (they are less sweet and have more of a bite to them).

We went HFCS-free before we even had kids, so I'm with you.

I think Brownberry has bread without HFCS. Since we moved near a Trader Joe's I don't recall what regular grocery stores carry ... sheesh, that sounds so snooty, doesn't it, but TJ really does make life so much easier.

And outside the house I don't much worry.

only the original recipe brownberry bread doesn't.

If you go to the Mexican food section of Walmart you can find cokes made with sugar, but they are imported from Mexico (so there is the whole buying American debate). My dc prefer their coke with sugar instead of HFCS (they are less sweet and have more of a bite to them).

They're yummy! Jones Cola and Blue Sky Cola are two other HFCS-free cola drinks that taste great. Dublin Dr. Pepper is another. :001_smile:

They're yummy! Jones Cola and Blue Sky Cola are two other HFCS-free cola drinks that taste great. Dublin Dr. Pepper is another. :001_smile:

Izze is another fizzy drink without HFCS. And Costco here carries the Mexican coke. Dh is a happy guy. I hate regular soda and have my own artificial-sweetener demons to exorcise.

Every time I see the HFCS commercials trying to convince people that it's just fine to eat, I wonder if that isn't backfiring on them. After all, how many people never thought of it before THEY brought it up on the commercial? Those who are health-minded will research regardless of what they say. Just think they're educating everyone in a way they probably didn't mean to.

We are still trying to get rid of pop tarts. :tongue_smilie: Dd8 loves them and we can't find a good organic/all natural one we like.

Have you tried Nature's Path poptarts? My kids love them. You can buy them on amazon even.

Oh, and Arnold's brand bread does not have HFCS.

I had to add that 3 Musketeers cabdy bars does not have it either. I was one happy camper when I found out.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

Is HFCS different from regular corn syrup like the Karo brand? Or is it the same thing?

It's different. Probably explained in the link somewhere above.....

eh- I'm just interested in supporting my Habit as cheaply as possible ;)

i did try one once --couldn't tell the diff.

Some sizes of Del Monte ketchup show no HFCS. why the size difference??? did they just screw up the labeling? I've noticed the difference has been consistent over the last few years.....and that WalMart doesn't carry Del Monte.

The Wal*Mart here sells Del Monte. It's actually the only store near me that does, which I find odd. As far as size, I'm assuming you're referring to the actual size of the bottle? There has been a lot of stories lately about how food companies have slowly been making their bottle/can/box sizes smaller but keeping the price the same. Some of the companies (Breyer ice cream for sure) have changed their packaging completely to make it appear the same size as before when it is in fact quite a bit smaller. Again, for the same price as the larger. If this is not what you were to referring to, I apologize for misunderstanding.

I applaud your reducing the amount of HFCS in your home (and frankly am surprised you would care enough about it to do so), but nothin', nada, zip will make up for the Cokes. :lol: Waiting for Bill to chime in here...Bill? Bueller? Anyone?

We're the other way around here. Dh was raised in Ohio, on the real stuff. I was raised with Log Cabin, but I now prefer Mr. Butterworth's (even though there is not a drop of maple, nor butter in the stuff). I just don't like the maple-y flavor of real maple syrup. It's too strong, and too sweet, in the "wrong" kind of way. I love the thick, rich flavor of Mrs. Butterworth's maple-free, butter flavored syrup.

I don't eat it very often, though, only about once a month.

The Wal*Mart here sells Del Monte. It's actually the only store near me that does, which I find odd. As far as size, I'm assuming you're referring to the actual size of the bottle?

yes, I'm talking about the actual size of the bottle :)

On the bigger bottles, it is clearly labeled w/ HFCS in the ingredients. On a certain size smaller, the ingredients don't list HFCS, and on the smallest, there it is!! All side by side! what'sup w/ my ketchup??

:lol:

I applaud your reducing the amount of HFCS in your home (and frankly am surprised you would care enough about it to do so), but nothin', nada, zip will make up for the Cokes. :lol: Waiting for Bill to chime in here...Bill? Bueller? Anyone?

yeah, yeah, I know ;) I'm baby stepping. Very. Little. baby steps :D

oh --and Ken's salad dressings don't all have HFCS. I like their Thousand Island. i also found a generic Ranch dressing at the Dollar Tree that is HFCS-free.

Like the woman is going to listen to me :D

Maybe I show try reverse psychology? :lol:

Bill

Yes, the item that shocked me the most to find HFCS on the label was diced tomatoes! It didn't even occur to look at the vegetables on my initial purge.

Yes - I made turkey soup after the holidays and used delmonte tomatos. We all commented on the sweetness of the soup (tasted good actually!) and I knew I didn't add any sugar! I was very surprised when I checked the label on the tomatoes.

I just started the HFCS free binge in my house. I was so infuriated reading all the labels of everything - what a bunch of crap and preservatives in everything! I mean - the basics - crackers, tortillas, etc. Not even the hard processed stuff (yes - crackers are - but I am looking for basics). Can you buy a tortilla that my 7 year old would be able to read the label? It's frustrating. Time to learn to make tortillas!

Tortillas are easy. (And I am completely aghast that there would be HFCS in them - there's no sugar in homemade tortillas!!!)

Flour - I roll them out with a rolling pin for tortillas, or use my tortilla press to make thicker flatbread, like the kind used at Quiznos for "sammies".

Corn - Caveat: you really need a tortilla press for these - they're not so easy to roll out.

Either way, they are WAY easy, and my kids eat them like they've never been fed before - they each had three blackbean and cheese "soft tacos" on masa tortillas last night, along with their salads, decimated a double batch (24) of thick-made ones a few nights ago, with beans and pork barbecue... commercial tortillas are iffy, at best, when it comes to them eating.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

The label on my Nature's Own 100% whole wheat shows no HFCS --am i missing something? I know that some of the Nature's Own stuff has it [honey wheat]. i was pleasantly surprised to find that our Dollar tree carries Nature's Own!!!! the 100% WW! double fiber! and 29 grains! for a dollar!!

Argh! Well, I find that very disconcerting! So, I wonder if in different parts of the country or in different plants, they use different recipes...or if the recipe changes from time to time...or they experiment with HFCS and see if it reduces sales? Who knows? As I said, it wasn't in the bread when I first started buying it (years ago) and then one day my mom commented on how her bread has fewer calories than my bread and I said, yeah maybe but look, my bread has more fiber, yadda yadda yadda...leading me to read the label again and that day, my bread had HFCS. I hadn't read that particular label in years.

OK, now I'm going to dust off MY bread maker and make my own because the prospect of reading every label every time I shop, just in case my chosen brands change their ingredients... It's too much for me. We do mostly eat a whole foods diet and I make 99% of what we eat from scratch so I feel a bit more in control.

The tomatoes, however... The tomatoes have really spooked me. Luckily, none of mine have the HFCS but my anger is starting to build that there would be ANYTHING in a can of veggies but veggies.

And neither does DD.

Sigh.

I use 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup honey, and melted butter. Sometimes I add a little water to thin it out. My kids don't like real maple syrup but they eat this. :)