Menu

Oh no! Yitzhak, Yo-Yo and company were lip-synching!

Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/arts/music/23band.html?em

They don't mention Aretha Franklin so I think the QUEEN was really singing but now I'm wondering if Angela's 7yo was right?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, see this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77631&highlight=aretha+franklin

Oh. No! Thank goodness she's not reading over my shoulder!

Love the Milli Vanilli reference. I had a friend who wrote for them and I used to give him all sorts of grief for the (then) gold records on the studio wall. His position was that HE didn't fake it. :D

We watched at our home school group, and we all were amazed that they could play in that bitter cold. It would have been brutal on their instruments. ... I'm afraid it doesn't bother me too much, really. The logistics of playing outside in that weather... It just seems like the logical solution to me. A little disappointing, yes, but given the circumstances... (shrug)

Do I feel betrayed? insulted? uhhh, tricked? Nah.

Obviously these musicians are very accomplished and don't have to prove themselves or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Not even in the same realm as Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson, Milli Vanilli, etc. The reasoning and motives are very different imo.

Now where's that fake food thread? That does make me mad.

Do I feel betrayed? insulted? uhhh, tricked? Nah.

Obviously these musicians are very accomplished and don't have to prove themselves or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Not even in the same realm as Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson, Milli Vanilli, etc. The reasoning and motives are very different imo.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: 100% Apples and oranges. The first thing my 16yo dd (violinist) said when they began to play was, "How are they keeping their instruments in tune?!"

Well, okay, I'll be the one to admit I'm kinda disappointed. No, I don't feel duped or anything, and yes, I see why it was necessary. But I went on and on to my boys about how incredible it was that these artists were able to produce such fine music given the circumstances. Silly me!:tongue_smilie: I hope to go hear Yo Yo Ma perform Bach's Cello Suites this May so I'll hear the real thing then.:)

Oh, I'm so relieved!! I agree with the others who wondered how on earth they kept those instruments in tune in that weather. I hope this means that they were using fairly inexpensive instruments in the January cold, because I was really surprised that they would take their good ones outside under the circumstances.

Well, my first thought when I saw Yo Yo was that I was sure he wasn't playing his Strad!

I believe he had a special carbon fiber cello, but even that could not withstand the cold temp.

I completely sympathize with them. My dd plays violin and piano and I have heard her instruments do some really funky things when playing outside in cold weather. Fortunately, as a string player you can adjust your fingering or stop, apologize to the audience and tune your instrument. The poor pianist, however, cannot so easily adapt!

Idiot question: Cold weather..."de-tunes" a stringed instrument? Huh. No idea.

As far as the musicians go, Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman are as good as it gets. If they say they couldn't perform in that cold, then that's certainly good enough for me. :001_smile:

Both hot and cold weather, as well as too much or too little humidity, can wreak havoc on a stringed intsrument. I believe the cold weather causes the wood to contract, so the pegs slip. I am not sure how carbon fiber responds to the weather.

My younger brother played in a Superbowl program - youth symphony - and they pre-recorded the music and then "played along" at the halftime show.

Especially with the logistics of sound recording, amplification, and the cold, it's almost the only way the music could be heard without horrible distortion and the issue of sound waves traveling over such a huge distance. I bet they borrowed cheap instruments to "play" as well - no way would I bring a $300K instrument out in that weather.

Maybe I am alone in thinking this, but why have it all if it can't be done?

It was done. The music was arranged and recorded and the artists performed to the recording. Since the point was celebration of a moment and not record or ticket sales it seems a very reasonable strategy to me.

Yes, my understanding is that they were not "lip syncing"--they actually played, but their instruments were not amplified. Those close heard their performance, but the recording was piped in to everyone else. They were concerned about breaking strings, according to the news.

Both hot and cold weather, as well as too much or too little humidity, can wreak havoc on a stringed intsrument. I believe the cold weather causes the wood to contract, so the pegs slip. I am not sure how carbon fiber responds to the weather.

My friend the harpist has told me tales of trying to keep her instrument in tune at beach weddings. As if humidity isn't bad enough, there is the issue of wind. After one disaster with blowing sand, she made her last harp payment and said that she was never doing that again!

There is no question about the talent and the ability of the performers. They did what they needed to do.

I heartily agree. Frankly, I wouldn't have found it offensive if Aretha had done the same. It's not unreasonable for a talented musician to have a backup plan when playing in less than ideal circumstances.

It was done. The music was arranged and recorded and the artists performed to the recording. Since the point was celebration of a moment and not record or ticket sales it seems a very reasonable strategy to me.

So show the recording on a big screen, them performing it. Or have the inauguration inside. Have them play live, inside, and broadcast that. I just don't get it. Why are we having it outside in January anyway?

So show the recording on a big screen, them performing it. Or have the inauguration inside. Have them play live, inside, and broadcast that. I just don't get it. Why are we having it outside in January anyway?

You know, I wondered this, too. Perhaps there is not a venue large enough in the DC area to accomodate all who wish to attend? Of course, earliest arrivers could get the inside, and the rest could watch via big screen TV, just like the people who were 1/2 mile away from the platform. Perhaps b/c outside is nonchargable? Or for the historic granduer of the visable monuments? I suspect it is because it has always been outside, so outside it remains.

I think it is outside so more people can see it. It is an incredible experience to see an inauguration live. I saw Reagan's first when I was ten. My parents took us downtown for the day. We saw the swearing in, from afar, and the parade. I believe that it was so cold for Reagan's second that they did move it inside. My parents have been to a number of inauguration. My mom's health is not good at the moment, so they did not go to this one. It is a wonderful thing to experience in person.

You know, I wondered this, too. Perhaps there is not a venue large enough in the DC area to accomodate all who wish to attend? Of course, earliest arrivers could get the inside, and the rest could watch via big screen TV, just like the people who were 1/2 mile away from the platform. Perhaps b/c outside is nonchargable? Or for the historic granduer of the visable monuments? I suspect it is because it has always been outside, so outside it remains.

Yup; it's tradition. There's a sense of all the country being a part of it when it's held outside, I suspect. But I seem to recall Reagan being inside because it was blisteringly cold--does anyone else remember something like that?

I would think simply because by putting it inside you exclude the overwhelming majority of people who want to witness the event. I think the uproar over making this an indoor event that ordinary people would largely be excluded from (I'm not aware of any 1 million+ venues. :D) would be much larger then discovering that some of the artists had to fudge a bit due to the technical limitations of their instruments.

I would think simply because by putting it inside you exclude the overwhelming majority of people who want to witness the event. I think the uproar over making this an indoor event that ordinary people would largely be excluded from (I'm not aware of any 1 million+ venues. :D) would be much larger then discovering that some of the artists had to fudge a bit due to the technical limitations of their instruments.

:iagree:

Idiot question: Cold weather..."de-tunes" a stringed instrument? Huh. No idea.

As far as the musicians go, Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman are as good as it gets. If they say they couldn't perform in that cold, then that's certainly good enough for me. :001_smile:

And believe me, it wasn't nearly as cold here as it was at the inauguration.