Menu

Please convince me that we can

live without cable. Dh and I are looking for ways to cut down expenses. One of the ideas tossed around was to cancel cable. I like the idea in theory. The girls will watch less TV. I picture them reading more, playing board games more often and etc. But I admit it makes me nervous. We are a tv watching, tv in every room of the house family. The girls are 13, 10, 8, & 5. Would they adjust to this type of change? It would save us about $100 a month. Has anyone ever done this? Will Netflix, the library and the ability to watch a few favorite shows online be enough?

We actually have never had cable until we moved here to Guatemala when it was included with the house we rent.

I honestly can't believe how much time we waste flipping through channels to see if there's anything on!!!! It's amazing. We, as a family, have fasted cable and television this week and I'm loving the peace and quiet and the creativity my dc have come up with to fill their time. It's been really good. So good that we are going to severely limit TV when this week is over.

We usually don't allow too much tv during the school week and that will stick, but, I think we'll also limit some on the weekends. It's not an option to us to get rid of cable, but, we can limit it.

Good luck!!!! I'm sure it will be hard at first, but, worth it in the end.

live without cable. Dh and I are looking for ways to cut down expenses. One of the ideas tossed around was to cancel cable. I like the idea in theory. The girls will watch less TV. I picture them reading more, playing board games more often and etc. But I admit it makes me nervous. We are a tv watching, tv in every room of the house family. The girls are 13, 10, 8, & 5. Would they adjust to this type of change? It would save us about $100 a month. Has anyone ever done this? Will Netflix, the library and the ability to watch a few favorite shows online be enough?

Of course your children will adjust. They are very adaptable, kids.

I would do some things to prepare, however. Make sure you have audio books lined up, or music to play if you need sound in the house. Or check out some DVDs from the library for that first week.

We don't have cable, never have. The TV is almost never on. We're not social misfits (I hope!) and aren't miserable, either. $1200 a year is a lotta dough. I do it in a heartbeat.

We dropped ours three years ago when we moved, so we don't have cable or antenna. My daughter was 5, now 8.5, and we do fine with Netflix, library, etc. She does get some time to watch some favorite things online.

You may want to explore getting a set top box ($99) from Netflix if you don't already have a blu-ray or xbox that can get streaming media from Netflix directly to your tv wirelessly. They are adding more and more watch instantly options to Netflix.

They probably won't like the change initially and will likely balk quite a lot. Honestly, the longer we don't have cable the less I remember why we wanted it in the first place.

I have Netflix movies and library DVDs as well as online sources for screen time.

Don't miss it one bit. Netflix has Instantwatch (movie streaming through your pc) and if I get bored, I log on and check out a show or two.

I get all my news on the net. Read local and national newspapers and tune into a few cable news networks.

I have found the only downside is that I can't tolerate commercials or breaks in programming. If I try to watch tv at a friend's house, I go nuts. I lose interest.

We get most of the popular TV shows on netflix and/or library and enjoy them on our time.

After the initial shock of not having cable (about 2-3 weeks for the kids), they don't miss it a bit.

k

We cancelled cable a month ago. Our situation was a little different in that only dh watched it. But he hasn't missed it. All the shows he liked are available online at their respective networks...but he hasn't even watched them!

As long as your dh is on board (or willing to try) I say go for it! :) Definitely plan some of those board games, reading times, Netflix/library rentals...to fill in the time as you transition.

is your internet through phone or cable? Ours is through cable.

Do you think you want to watch any broadcast tv? if you have a relatively new tv and antenna you could, but on February 17 if your set is old you will not be able to watch broadcast if you don't have cable, satellite or one of those converters that are being sold now.

That said you can live w/o tv. If you want to still watch something occassionally, keep the tv for video purposes, get dvds from the library. Subscribe to netflix.

I keep wanting to drop cable, but dh is a cable news junkie.

my friend was just showing me the netflix box thingy as another way to get instant shows and movies. You pay for the box itself (one time fee) but then the service is just included in your netflix subscription. So for 17 per month, you'd save 83 that way!

We don't have cable or any of that and don't need it but hubby was talking about it recently. I was thinking the netflix thing might be a compromise if he pushes the issue.

You can *totally* do this! I'm telling you that after a week or so we didn't even miss it anymore. I would suggest a blockbuster or netflix membership if your family enjoys movies. We much prefer our 40.00/month blockbuster membership to the fancy cable package we used to have. If that is not in the budget maybe you could check out your library's selection of videos. Our library has a few thousand movies!

We have never had cable. We haven't watched T.V. for about 10 years. Now, with US you can get pretty much anything on the computer. We do have philosophical reasons for not having T.V. (see Neil Postmans' "Amusing Ourselves to Death") but from a pragamatic pov, we just don't have time. Between homeschooling, gardening, being TP state co, teaching at co-op, reading, cooking, the stuff we do at church,etc it would just be too much. We do watch DVD's, but somehow we are fine pushing "Pause", "stop" or even "eject." There is so much more control than with T.V. where you might miss something. My kids do read- for hours. They also spend hours outside. We don't do a whole lot of board games, they do play Ages of Empires quite a bit though:). I say go for it!

by going to a broadcast basic package and adding a netflix subscription.

We pay $14 per month and get about 20 local channels, so we can watch the news and PBS programs. We do not currently have netflix (cutting costs here, too!), but for around $15 per month you could get a great package. That would save you about $70 per month.

You can get movies from the library, which we are doing these days, but it has its pitfalls. People seem to abuse these materials and we often get things we can't watch because they are damaged. That doesn't always happen, but it is disappointing when you are all ready to watch something you've been eagerly anicipating and it won't play through because the disk is all scratched up.

We did go off cable altogether for about 2 years, and the kids were fine with it. *I* was the one who was having trouble, I felt very isolated and out of touch. I am glad to have it now, but it sure can be habit-forming! I am glad to not have an abundance of channels to surf.

Yes you can do this. After a while you wonder when you had the time to watch TV. I think it is difficult if you have a sports fan in your house. We moved in March and didn't connect the cable. I thought I'd wait until fall. Fall came and it wasn't worth the money.

Go for it! You will save so much money.

We borrow library DVDs/VHS. The other day we watched Prince Caspian on YouTube for free without commercials.

Watching TV does not require thinking skills or concentration. Reading books on the other hand engages the mind and develops critical thinking skills (depending on the book you are reading). My dh always says there is no pre-requisite for watching TV, anybody can do it.

We have been without cable now for over 7 months and we would NEVER go back now. My kids actually read more, using their imaginations, watching movies with us as a family. It is glorious!

Yahoo! I'm glad you're enjoying the switch.

We lived in Germany for 4 years, got basically no TV there, and got a lot more done. (We were able to watch movies, and got international CNN in English, the rest of our TV was in German and we didn't speak enough German to enjoy watching.) When we moved back to the States, we intentionally got rid of our TVs. We watch movies on the computer, we bought a big screen for it! A few of our friends don't have TVs, either, and some don't have computers, so my daughter always says when someone has both, "Can you believe they have a TV and a computer?"

We only have satellite during football season so dh can get NFL Sunday Ticket. I hate it and look forward to when we cancel. Family life is more peaceful without that distraction. We read more, sew, bake, play games, talk. Also, we watch a lot of DVD's from the library.

Janet

We've never had cable, but we do get decent reception of the major networks through the antenna (no "extras" though). I did consider not buying a converter box when everything goes digital, but dh has already got one now. Digital through the antenna actually gives you extra channels too (but not the cable ones). But our one local PBS is broadcasting on 5 frequencies now.

Anyway, when I was considering not going digital, I was thinking that a Netflix subscription would probably be more than enough screen time...

I've always wondered why anyone paid for cable, actually. We waste enough time on our computers, if we had a tv to waste time on, we'd be in time debt! I quite often put a dvd on though, if I want something to half watch while I embroider or something.

Rosie

When you drop cable, don't just leave a void with no plan. If it was on during dinner, then have some nice music picked out to play in the background. If it is on in the afternoon, have a fun craft that you've been putting off for lack of time. If it is on a lot in the evening, have some handcraft or coloring that the kids can play around with while you do a read aloud or play an audio book. Plan a family game night.

Your kids can definitely adjust to having more time from your and their father and their siblings (a la games, talking and having fun making stuff in the kitchen). They can definitely adjust to having more time to just be themselves (reading, listening to audio books or favorite music). They can adjust to not having to measure up to unrealistic expectations of beauty or boy-girl relationships as shown in TV shows.

Really, cable just isn't all that great. It is easy to get sucked in. There is much that is mildly amusing, but how much is stuff that you really look forward to seeing and then spend an hour basking in the glow of the experience or discussing the ramifications of what was presented? Or do you just move on to the next thing because the commercials were over and it was time for the next piece of entertainment.

We were never a big cable family. We had it in Germany, but almost all programming was in German and the kids watched little of it. We got cable for the Olympics and elections this year and by the time we'd had it for two months, even the kids were saying that most of the programming was pretty dumb. We just realized that it wasn't very fulfilling (especially for the price).

Netflix has great options and they are playable on your schedule, not some network programmer's. Plus I can't tell you how much other money we save by not being exposed to commercials.

Never had cable, but I love tv. I have shows I really, really enjoy, and it is hard for me to even think of not watching them (LOST, for example, is coming on again on my birthday!).

Big However... We have one tv, I'd never put one anywhere but in a main room, esp with cable, because it splits the family too much. I'm appalled at what is allowed on broadcast tv, and really, really appalled at what comes on cable.

TV is a huge source of entertainment, and I do appreciate the news coverage. But here's what I'd do in your case:

1. Take the TV's out of everyone's room, and have only one.

2. Get rid of cable.

3. Plan activities for everyone to do to replace the TV. (Love the PP's ideas)

4. Do some things out of the house, and create new rituals--walk after dinner? Eating at the park when it warms up? Whatever.

5. Expect whining, but realize many who love TV actually enjoy the story aspect of the shows. They feel as though they develop relationships with the people on the show--and want to know what happens. Some want the escape, some want the ease of the pseudo-relationship (it requires nothing from you), and some are just intensely curious people who have found an outlet in TV. Books can help fill that need, but nothing helps more than real life relationships. Take this time to get to know each other.

6. Start teaching skills that can replace entertainment. Amazing what can happen here! But if you don't know how to do much besides sitting and watching, you aren't going to enjoy having that taken away.

7. Remember, books, games and handcrafts aren't all that "jazzy"--they can feel boring. That's ok. It's like sugar--when you cut it for a while, your taste buds become more sensitive--when you cut out visual entertainment for a while, other things become more interesting.

Let us know how it is going.

Now, if you will excuse me, the Today Show is on...JK--gotta go to work!

Chris

We cancelled cable this past Monday, right before my DH left for a week. It actually hasnt been that bad. We have been watching some movies we already had, I think my 3 yr old is the one missing it the most. She is a devoted Little Einsteins (Disney channel) fan. I got a DVD for her with 4 episodes on it that I hope helps to ease her transition. My oldest was getting a little too free with her show choosing, and that was the thing that sprked it most. We had a lot of shows that were off limits, and she kept sneaking the watching of them when I was busy making dinner upstairs, etc. And its expensive, absolutely!

I think we will probably get the netflix box after a while.