Menu

Does anyone here play the new NYT game Strands?

Kidlit

I enjoy it.Β  I like the fact that you aren't timed and you don't "fail" if it takes a bunch of tries to figure it out.Β  Many times, I don't need any hints, but it takes patience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

Connections are so far-fetched! Beethoven, kaleidoscope, peacock, and I can't remember the fourth word but the theme was "words that begin with the name of a vegetable". πŸ˜›

I'm often heard to grumble during connections "but that's not even a real category".

Love Strands.Β  I like that there are hints available if I'm really stuck.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

Connections are so far-fetched! Beethoven, kaleidoscope, peacock, and I can't remember the fourth word but the theme was "words that begin with the name of a vegetable". πŸ˜›

Β 

3 hours ago, Tenaj said:

I'm often heard to grumble during connections "but that's not even a real category".

Love Strands.Β  I like that there are hints available if I'm really stuck.

Yes!  I have to be careful to look at that last category (that makes itself when there are only four words left) or I won't even know what it is when the game ends. 🀣

• Like 3

I agree, Connections is a nice challenge, but sometimes the groups are so weird that I have no chance.Β  Connections also requires more concentration and often more time.Β  So I don't play it every day.

I'm a late bloomer with Sudoku, but I usually play the 3 NYT games every day.Β  Because it's numbers and not words, I can play while listening to Youtube.

I tell myself this is good for brain health ....

• Like 2

I haven’t tried Strands!

For Connections, today, I got 3 groups, and had 4 words left. Β I looked at those 4 words and could not find how they were connected. Β 
Β 

I do like it and I always play it, but some of the connections are just not ones I’m going to get.

Β 

It’s not too easy, but it’s not too hard, I think. Β 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Like SKL, I like playing Sudoku more than the word games (although I am a Wordle-for-life fan). I do the NYT ones and Hoopla has a BingePass for puzzle palace which gives me daily different types of Sudoku.

I forgot about that BingePass. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

I really enjoy Strands!Β 

I play Wordle, Quordle, Waffle, Connections, Strands, and Squaredle every morning (in that order. Ahem). My biggest challenge is Connections for sure, and then remembering that in Strands you can't criss-cross, but in Squaredle you can. (as in, cross over a line you've already made in connecting the letters). Also remembering that if I need a hint on the last word, it's useless. In Squaredle if you need a reveal, it spells it out for you (but you only get one, or sometimes 2, per game).Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I really enjoy Strands!Β 

I play Wordle, Quordle, Waffle, Connections, Strands, and Squaredle every morning (in that order. Ahem). My biggest challenge is Connections for sure, and then remembering that in Strands you can't criss-cross, but in Squaredle you can. (as in, cross over a line you've already made in connecting the letters). Also remembering that if I need a hint on the last word, it's useless. In Squaredle if you need a reveal, it spells it out for you (but you only get one, or sometimes 2, per game).Β 

I'd never heard of Waffle! Thanks for mentioning it!

• Like 2

I like Waffle - it's pretty easy and fast, but not so easy that it's boring.Β  Connections is frustrating for me because there are some that I'd never ever get no matter what.Β  I find that I either do really well on them or horrible.Β  I refuse to invest a lot of time trying to figure Connections out because there are too many times that I never would have gotten them so I just purposely lose those games quickly to see the answers.Β Β 

DH and I used to play Wordle, Quordle, and Octordle but don't anymore.Β  He used to play Nerdle(spelling?) too.Β  I haven't heard of Strands or Squaredle before now.

• Like 1

I like Strands but usually find it’s pretty quick unless it’s an odd or fairly US specific topic then it takes a bit longer. I do really like connections though also have the issue where it’s like US based teams or something. Given it’s a US based paper that’s kind of fair enough we just don’t have the digital equivalent here I don’t thinkΒ 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I like Strands but usually find it’s pretty quick unless it’s an odd or fairly US specific topic then it takes a bit longer. I do really like connections though also have the issue where it’s like US based teams or something. Given it’s a US based paper that’s kind of fair enough we just don’t have the digital equivalent here I don’t thinkΒ 

As a US citizen, I also don't always know these categories ... like different sub-sub-categories of alcohol, sports stuff that I don't follow, actors and movies that don't interest me.Β  I agree it would be harder if I didn't live here though.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

As a US citizen, I also don't always know these categories ... like different sub-sub-categories of alcohol, sports stuff that I don't follow, actors and movies that don't interest me.Β  I agree it would be harder if I didn't live here though.

Same. I usually do well getting 2 of the 4. The third one is always hard and of course the fourth one is whatever is leftover and I generally don't have a clue as to how the last ones are related until I click on them and see the category. I work on these puzzles throughout the day during random bits and pieces of time that I have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I just played Strands for the first time.Β  I did terrible!Β  That's harder than I expected!Β Β 

I couldn't even figure out HOW to play it to begin with!Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I do both Strands and Connections, but I like Connections better. It's challenging, but the longer I play it, the better I get. Once you've seen the different types of wordplay appear over and over, you develop a mental checklist of the various possibilities like parts of the words make other words or anagrams. When I don't get it, I usually think, "Oh, clever," when I see the answer. When I can't get Strands without a hint, I often am somewhat disappointed in the way the words relate.. It just doesn't seem as clever to me - more of a stretch.

• Like 6

ConnectionsΒ 
Puzzle #417
🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ

4 hours ago, livetoread said:

I do both Strands and Connections, but I like Connections better. It's challenging, but the longer I play it, the better I get. Once you've seen the different types of wordplay appear over and over, you develop a mental checklist of the various possibilities like parts of the words make other words or anagrams. When I don't get it, I usually think, "Oh, clever," when I see the answer. When I can't get Strands without a hint, I often am somewhat disappointed in the way the words relate.. It just doesn't seem as clever to me - more of a stretch.

I would love to have a version you could use multiple times for my tutor kids. I think it would be great for working on analogies.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, livetoread said:

Just so everyone knows, the Spanogram for today's Strands is not "StickyAF" though I thought it fit the theme, lol. The NYT puzzle makers are more genteel than me which is a good thing.

I feel certain they put in those kinds of red herrings on purpose. Seems like every puzzle has things like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Strands #150
β€œStaying power”
πŸ”΅πŸ”΅πŸ’‘πŸ”΅
πŸ”΅πŸ”΅πŸŸ‘πŸ”΅
Β 

I never tried it until today and didn’t know it existed until reading this thread. I don’t even know quite how to read the results I shared. 🀣 I did not need to know about this. I already do Connections and Wordle every day and Sudoku a few times a month.Β 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Strands #150
β€œStaying power”
πŸ”΅πŸ”΅πŸ’‘πŸ”΅
πŸ”΅πŸ”΅πŸŸ‘πŸ”΅
Β 

I never tried it until today and didn’t know it existed until reading this thread. I don’t even know quite how to read the results I shared. 🀣 I did not need to know about this. I already do Connections and Wordle every day and Sudoku a few times a month.Β 

But isn't it fun? πŸŽ‰πŸ€£

ConnectionsΒ 
Puzzle #417
🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ

On 7/31/2024 at 11:45 AM, Kassia said:

I just played Strands for the first time.Β  I did terrible!Β  That's harder than I expected!Β Β 

today was ridiculously easy for me.Β  I'm hoping tomorrow is somewhere in the middle

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

today was ridiculously easy for me.Β  I'm hoping tomorrow is somewhere in the middle

Some days are like that for me as well, but today is not one of those days!Β 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 9:18 AM, SKL said:

I've given up Quordle, but I play Sedecordle, which is way worse.Β  I might possibly have an addiction.

Thanks for introducing me to Sedecordle. That is the hardest one yet!!!

19 hours ago, Kanin said:

I love Connections. I'm pretty bad at Strands, though! When I can't find any words, I want to throw the computer out the window.Β  πŸ™‚Β 

It's an exercise in patience at first!Β  The words could be anything!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SKL said:

My apologies.Β  So far I've played over 3,000 games.

I've played it for three days now. I've gotten all three days complete BUT it is HARD.