Menu

Is heat rage a thing?

saraha

Last night I was so hot from the weather, cooking, another long day with no ac, and just found myself with 0 patience left and kind of rage-y. I got mad at a Tupperware container and threw it across the room. Then put myself in time out.  It got me thinking about a statistic I heard a long time ago about how fights and similar crimes climbed during the summer, and that led me to little news blurbs I had heard out of Houston and wondered if there is such a thing as heat rage (made up title)

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

Yep, I've had that. Sometimes I can't eat dinner because I've gotten so hot by the stove. I excuse myself to timeout so everyone can eat in peace

Me too! It seems to be worse this summer. Maybe where I’m getting older?

Oh yes. One time I was in the city at the train station with my daughter - we'd just walked a fair bit in the heat - and I couldn't cool down. I found myself pacing, saying "I'm so angry! I'm just so angry!"

Fortunately the train came and it had air con.

• Like 3

Yes!!! The heat alone tends to make me a bit grouchy but add in the humidity down here in south Florida right now and I feel like a bear! I notice how my whole family gets grouchy when it’s really hot and humid. When I wake up and my windows are wet with condensation, I know to expect shorter tempers. It honestly feels like a mild sauna outside this time of year. It feels harder to think or be motivated to do anything. 

Also I’m an outdoorsy person and I always feel a bit trapped inside this time of year. I feel like it can cause a bit of a seasonal depression type thing. I really get the blahs during July and August. I feel like I come alive when the weather cools off a bit! 

Edited by Melanie32
  • Like 3

Heat is bad enough, but coupled with the way perimenopause / menopause screws with our natural ability to regulate our body temperature (or, at least, how hot we feel), it's downright dangerous.  😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10696165/
“The influence of temperature on various aspects of daily life is often underestimated, and its effects on mental health are not widely recognized. Understanding and addressing the relationship between temperature and mental well‐being is crucial in the context of climate change and rising global temperatures. This perspective aimed to investigate the effects of high temperatures on mental health and identify proactive strategies to mitigate these effects.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

Heat makes me rage-y. I'm a Fall-Winter-Spring gal. I could live without summer.

Same. About the only thing I like about summer is that it is warm enough to swim outside or boat. Except I don't have any place to swim or boat, so that means I would just as soon live without it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

Heat makes me rage-y. I'm a Fall-Winter-Spring gal. I could live without summer.

Same. That’s why it always amazes me that so many people want to take summer vacations to places that are boiling hellscapes. I would sooner go on 100 trips to Alaska in July over going to Disney.

When my kiddos were small, we went to Disney in late September and it happened to be a boiling hellscape that week too. Walking around Epcot…no. We took the “It’s a Small World After All” version of the World Showcase. I probably ruined my kids’ sense of geography for years because I think they only saw Japan, Norway and France. Then we bee-lined back to the condo pool. 

• Like 3

This evening it is cloudy, 85 degrees, and only 54% humidity. It feels so nice compared to the last, I don’t know, SIX weeks or so? I left work on my bike to meet DH at a Starbucks near my school. I fully expected it to be gross because we’ve been in a toxic relationship with our weather lately. It was glorious. My arms even felt a little chilly when I biked home down by the lake. It was nicer than my 8 a.m. ride to work. I don’t know how to act.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

This evening it is cloudy, 85 degrees, and only 54% humidity. It feels so nice compared to the last, I don’t know, SIX weeks or so? I left work on my bike to meet DH at a Starbucks near my school. I fully expected it to be gross because we’ve been in a toxic relationship with our weather lately. It was glorious. My arms even felt a little chilly when I biked home down by the lake. It was nicer than my 8 a.m. ride to work. I don’t know how to act.

I actually exercised outdoors today. It wasn’t even 4:30 am. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yeah, today here was wonderful! The only time I sweat was when I was making trips up and down the stairs at little old man’s house! I actually ate a proper dinner that I cooked indoors. Everyone ate like it was their first good meal in a week 😁

Edited by saraha
Autocorrected sweat to swear, wasn’t wrong…

We are still having a heat index in the 100’s and humidity is in the high 90’s. I feel so unmotivated to do anything and so tired from the heat! I just want to drink iced coffee all day for the coolness and the energy boost. We’ve got another month of this and then it should start to gradually improve a bit. Just counting down the days to cooler weather. 

• Sad 1

Heat rage is real. It was so hot last summer where I live that by the beginning of the school year on campus, people were nasty and staff noticed. I could barely tolerate much. I felt angry all the time too.

• Like 1