Menu

Best or worst gift?

HomeAgain

Did you have one this year that stood out, either received or given?

Best here: ds13 got me a record I didn't know I wanted. And thank you to whomever posted about American Tall here - dh loves his new, perfectly fitting sweater.

Worst: we ordered a watch for ds24. We didn't realize we were ordering it from Austria, but it arrived on time and he was absolutely thrilled. Unfortunately we can't get it to work. Dh has sent an email to the company to troubleshoot, but I see it being a few days before we hear anything back.

• Like 1

Best by far:  I found a local person who converts old movies into digital.  Found a box of old tapes - movies of the kids when they were little. Took it to him to digitize for DH, and wrapped up the box of the old VHS tapes along with the USB tucked into the old thing that converts the tiny tapes to VHS sized so you could watch them. Filmed DH opening and discovering what it was, and so far we've watched close to 2 hours of the nearly 8 hours of video....DH Is delighted!  

No worst gifts so far. 

• Like 8

My youngest is my creative, artsy but also mathy kid. She made her own posters for her room when she went off to college and I was so impressed I said she should make some mathy ones for my classroom. She never did, until now. She made a bunch of function posters with her cool minimalist art, like the f(x)=x poster says "linear" up the side then has a skier going down a straight line slope. Quadratic has 3 cyclists (one flipping) in a y=x^2 bowl. They're just cool. I tell her she could sell a lot of these to math teachers. Then her sister, first year teacher of world history to 7th graders, said she should make her posters too. Youngest replied "I know her subject better." We had some fun thinking up ideas for world history (Vikings, castles), but she said those would take a lot longer to make.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

My youngest is my creative, artsy but also mathy kid. She made her own posters for her room when she went off to college and I was so impressed I said she should make some mathy ones for my classroom. She never did, until now. She made a bunch of function posters with her cool minimalist art, like the f(x)=x poster says "linear" up the side then has a skier going down a straight line slope. Quadratic has 3 cyclists (one flipping) in a y=x^2 bowl. They're just cool. I tell her she could sell a lot of these to math teachers. Then her sister, first year teacher of world history to 7th graders, said she should make her posters too. Youngest replied "I know her subject better." We had some fun thinking up ideas for world history (Vikings, castles), but she said those would take a lot longer to make.

Ahem. 

We are going to need pictures, especially ones in a google docs or pdf format. 😁

Seriously, that is so awesome.  ❤️

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

My favorite history poster (or tee) says

“don’t make me repeat myself” signed… History

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

There. Is. A. Market! She needs an etsy shop or something! Those sound awesome. 

• Like 10

Best gift for me all my kids were here.for Christmas first time in 5 years.  My mom heart was full.   Best gift we gave was to my granddaughter, she was wearing a similar dress to her our generation doll and when she opened it she was wide eyed and smiled saying  "Just what I always wanted!".  She didn't put it down for a moment.    There were no bad gifts.  Everyone was happy with their gifts.  

• Like 7

When the kid visited Santa, my two year old nephew told Santa very seriously that his six month old cousin "needa shoes". So, I crocheted a pair of tiny Chuck Taylor slippers and Santa put them in her stocking.

Unfortunately, it turns out that even magic Santa shoes do not enable babies to suddenly get up and run around with their big cousins.  I am sure you are all as shocked by this as my nephew was.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

12 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

When the kid visited Santa, my two year old nephew told Santa very seriously that his six month old cousin "needa shoes". So, I crocheted a pair of tiny Chuck Taylor slippers and Santa put them in her stocking.

Unfortunately, it turns out that even magic Santa shoes do not enable babies to suddenly get up and run around with their big cousins.  I am sure you are all as shocked by this as my nephew was.  

What a sweet story—thank you for sharing! I absolutely adore 2-year olds and their thoughts and language and expressions—just all of it really. So cute. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best gifts: a guitar for Dd and Nike sneakers for Ds. No duds. 

I received a duplicate gift, which will be returned and replaced by a book that I really want. 

Eta: a gift card that Dd was very excited to spend didn’t work today and seems to be defective. No receipt with it, so Dd will text the family member who gave it. A bit awkward. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

Worst: We were visiting with my in-laws on Skype yesterday. My son asked one of my brothers-in-law to come along when Grandma & Grandpa visit in a few weeks. After I've asked him not to do that. Knowing that when this BIL visits, I feel like a prisoner in my own house. I can't get a single word in. He has been writing a series of books and spends his entire time reading from the latest draft, commenting on and correcting each sentence aloud to the whole room. "She gripped her sword. Hmm... Should I say 'her sword' or 'the sword' there? 'Her' let's you know it's not just some random sword... 'The' sounds better to me... I don't know... Oh, and do you know why I'm having them fight with swords in this scene? (Insert story referencing some old anime that inspired it)" HOURS AND HOURS AND HOOOOOUUUURRRRRSSSSSS of this!!!!!!!!" No one tells him to drop it or let anyone else talk. My FIL is the same way. He has literally spent over half an hour lecturing my kids about q-tips (Q-TIPS!!!!!) but will just cut me off or barely grunt in response if I say anything. Good grief. Has anyone seen the "Travel Agent Sketch" from Monty Python, where Eric Idle just keeps talking and talking and Michael Palin has to call the police and he STILL keeps talking as he's being arrested? It's like that for hours! My MIL will be falling asleep and falling over in her chair from the endless drone of their voices. There have been times where I said "I need to use the bathroom" and waited for either of them to finish talking at me, stood up, slowly stepped toward the doorway, did the legs-crossed "gotta go" dance, and still! Thy! Did! Not! Stop! Talking! 😛😛😛

So now I get to spend the next few weeks dreading their visit. Thanks, son... 

• Sad 12

Best gift:  Christmas Eve at my sister's house with all the family and we did a Cajun boil.

Worst gift:  DH wanted a big TV so I surprised him with a 65-inch TV for a gift. My oldest son decides to gift us with a wall mount instead of using the TV stand. He proceeds to drill accidentally into a pipe and on Christmas Day I have water gushing everywhere in the livingroom. We shut the water off on Christmas Day and now I have a plumber out on after-Christmas morning to fix it. I'm in tears and so stressed out and everyone is upset with me. I want to take the TV back to the store or just toss it to the road. My son is so upset with me. I know it was an accident but honestly I didn't need to deal with plumbing issues on Christmas Day. Dinner was leftovers from Christmas Eve and I have stacks of dishes to do today when it's fixed. The plumber is happy - he gets really good pay for coming out today on his day off. I'm miserable. Sorry to vent about this. Everyone thinks I need to see a psychiatrist! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 18

Best gift-my DH isn't really into gifts and doesn't want stuff, so L and I adopted a tuberculosis sniffing rat in Tanzania for DH, who has a really hard time even with letting the exterminator kill the roof rats that moved into our attic a couple of years ago. 

L got a stuffed brain with neurotransmitters, brain, and glial cells. 

I got more little critters for my miniature scenes and a Dremel to use in crafting. 

I'm not sure there were any complete misses this year. 

• Like 6

Biggest gift win by far is a kickboxing bag that has games/challenges and lights up where you are supposed to hit. The recipient played with it for hours and pretty much everyone has enjoyed playing it to.

The worst wasn't much of a fail but I got both DH and Oldest's decorative motorcycle helmet holders. Thought they just had a slightly different design but Oldest's was half the size.  It still works but everyone was laughing about it. 

• Like 1

My granddaughter (5) just about lost her mind over the unicorn lunch box my mother just stumbled upon in the Walmart clearance section. It was so funny and very cute for us adults to see that reaction.

On the other hand, my mother gave a me a golden snitch necklace. Um, I really, really don't know why she would think I would like that. Sure I've enjoyed the books and movies but I've never felt drawn to wearing Harry Potter anything. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with that.

5 hours ago, Sweets said:

Everyone thinks I need to see a psychiatrist!

No, that’s really frustrating! I am not sure why people can’t refrain from projects that could go awry on Christmas Day, especially if they don’t know what’s inside their target wall. Ugh!

I hope it’s better today!

26 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My granddaughter (5) just about lost her mind over the unicorn lunch box my mother just stumbled upon in the Walmart clearance section. It was so funny and very cute for us adults to see that reaction.

So funny! I gave two of my 4 year old grandchildren Paw Patrol lunch boxes from Walmart clearance, they were something like $2 OR $3 each. They were defiantly one of their favorite gifts!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sweets said:

m in tears and so stressed out and everyone is upset with me.

I had to read this twice because it didn't make sense. I still don't get it. Your ds made the biggest mistake in the diy book and people are upset with you for reacting? They are being rude to you, probably out of embarrassment either from making the mistake or knowing that they would likely have made the same mistake. Please be as upset as you need and then, when you are done, move on and give them icy stares when they try to guilt you.

• Like 9

Okay, I was just given a slightly late 'gift'.  My kid played an exhibition game about a month ago.  We were just sent a copy of the press release and several photos of him and his teammates after he scored.  I don't know if you all have tried to take photos in a slightly reflective place with (usually) florescent lighting, but most pics I have of my kid are grainy or rough unless we pay well for them.  Being given a clear picture of him just being happy....it's a real treasure. 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Sweets said:

I'm miserable. Sorry to vent about this. Everyone thinks I need to see a psychiatrist! 

I think you're well within your rights to vent and you definitely should here.

I think it's also fine to compartmentalize your feelings on this, letting it out online and adapting your feelings to what is within your control in person.  When something bad happens it's not so much the incident, but how we react to it.  My g-ma used to harp on things and make everyone miserable with her, even though literally everything was being done that could be.  She was stuck in the 'it shouldn't have happened in the first place' mode of thought and everyone around her struggled with how to deal with that and the comments she would make. Like, there was no way to make it better in her eyes because the Bad Thing had occurred.  Shame and guilt were always intermingled and spotlighted. I don't know how things went down in your home and I doubt you would ever be like my g-ma, but this last bit here brought back some memories that I've kept buried.