Menu

Quick and Hearty Soup Recipe?

goldberry

I want to make soup!  I am also very lazy. 🙂 I will cook ground beef or will shred a rotisserie chicken.  I will chop SOME but not too much.  I always have a package of frozen chopped onions handy.  We love beans, we love spinach, we love canned diced tomatoes.  

Favorite recipes?

Oh, love potatoes too, but usually used ready diced.

Edited by goldberry

Zuppa Toscana Olive Garden copycat is fast, easy, and flavorful. Loaded potato soup is also simple. Pro Tip- if you buy giant potatoes you have fewer to peel. A white chicken chili is easy with white beans and chicken leftovers. A nice, simple minestrone can have some beans, pasta, tomatoes and other veggies you like. Creamy chicken gnocchi soup is nice and filling. I just like all the soups and aspire to do a new one each week. Last week was a loaded potato. Clam Chowder will need to be soon, but not back to back with potato. I might go with chicken noodle this week, or I may grab a discount turkey and do turkey noodle. It may be chili time again. I’ll need to check my precooked bean stash in the freezer. I always cook the whole pound of fried beans and freeze them in smaller portions for recipes. They make better soup than canned. 

If you want to break up the work, chop the veggies (not the potatoes) the day before you make the soup or just go with frozen pre-chopped or salad bar veggies. 

OH, tortellini is easy.  I sauté some onions, dump in some chicken broth, season it, then toss in some tortellini. Satisfaction with minimal effort. I serve it with grated Parmesan and a salad.

• Like 4

Easy vegetable beef soup (Budget Bytes)

You could use canned diced potatoes instead of the russet called for in the recipe. Kale is listed as an optional add in, but you could use spinach. You could also throw in a can of drained, rinsed beans, or use beans instead of the hamburger. We like the added worcestershire sauce in this one, it really adds to the flavor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh! Homemade tomato bisque is easy. Sauté some onions, and garlic if you like, then add a can of chicken broth and a can of tomato purée (or just put a can of chopped tomatoes through the blender. I usually season with salt, pepper, and a tiny pinch of cayenne. Add a splash of cream and some chopped basil when it’s almost done. Serve with grilled cheese or grilled ham and cheese if you require a meat. 

• Like 2

Here is my aunt Heidi’s goulash soup. Where the recipe says 1/2 tsp caraway seeds I use ground caraway and adjust to taste starting with one teaspoon. The caraway really makes the dish. The marjoram doesn’t really matter. I serve it with thick slices of buttered rye bread. Sometimes I add chopped bell peppers to it. Dh likes it made a bit thicker and served over egg noodles

A54FFC8E-9A44-4458-A19D-2BD55D4C78CA.jpeg

• Like 3

I'll share this one, which I think I actually got from here a few years ago and added some modifications

Smoky Potato Chickpea Stew

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp olive oil 
  • 2 cloves garlic 
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger or Tbsp ginger powder
  • 1 diced yellow onion  or one bag frozen onions
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder 
  • 1 Tbsp smoked paprika (I use extra, must be smoked, not regular)
  • 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes (fire roasted, or with garlic and oregano)
  • 2 russet potatoes peeled and cut 1 inch squares (or 1/2 bag frozen diced hashbrowns)
  • 1 15oz. can chickpeas DRAINED (aka garbonzo beans)
  • Something to add heat like cayenne pepper, squeeze of Sriracha
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (I used 1 ½ boxes for a double batch)
  • 1/4 lb. fresh kale or couple handfuls of baby spinach

Instructions

1.                   Add the onion to a large soup pot with the olive oil and sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent.

2.                   Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, smoked paprika, to the pot and continue to stir and cook for 1-2 minutes more to toast the spices.

3.                   Once the spices are toasted, add the potatoes, diced tomatoes (with juices), and chickpeas to the pot. Pour the vegetable broth over top, plus whatever for spicy heat then stir until everything is combined.

4.                   Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to medium-high, and allow it to come to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and allow the soup to simmer with the lid in place for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5.                   After 45 minutes, stir the stew well and smash the potatoes against the side of the pot to help them break down and thicken the stew. Add the chopped kale or spinach and stir it into the stew until it has wilted. Taste the soup and adjust the salt or other spices if desired. Serve hot with crusty bread or crackers.

• Like 2

Saute the onions in a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil, a liberal amount.  

While they are cooking, slice/chop up an equal volume of mushrooms—a mix of regular ones and wild is best, at least 2-3 kinds.  (BTW, I keep a big container of dried wild mushrooms from Costco around—pour boiling water over them to cover, and then let stand for 20 minutes.  Drain, reserving the liquid for stock, and chop of those mushrooms if that’s all you have handy.).  Also, chop up about half that volume of Italian parsley.  Saute the mushrooms in butter until they have given up all their juices AND the juices have cooked off.  Add a splash of sherry or brandy and a large dollop of jarred minced garlic.  Stir together and cook for 2 minutes.  

Mix everything together, including the still uncooked parsley.  Add about a tablespoon of flour per 1/2 lb of mushrooms.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup of beef broth (from the cubes is fine for this) per 1/2 lb of mushrooms.  Blend with a stick blender.  Heat to boiling, then turn off the heat.  Add about 1/2 cup of sour cream, whisking well.  You might need to warm it up a little at this point, but once you add the sour cream you should avoid letting it boil again as it can separate.  It will then still taste great but it will look yucky.

Or way easier—mix one can of cream of chicken soup with one can of chicken with rice soup and one can of milk or whey or water.  Add in a bunch of chicken chunks.  Warm it up and it will be good.

• Like 1

This one is a favorite around here: https://www.food.com/recipe/hearty-and-quick-butternut-squash-soup-392850

I think I put in maybe a teaspoon of dried thyme instead of fresh. You need to cut the squash in half and scoop it out when it's done and that's about it. Everything else is just dumping. Also, I cook the quinoa in a rice cooker, which also helps make it easy.

• Like 2

We make cicken tortilla soup, flexible depending upon what ingredients we have on hand, leftovers freeze well, can go together quickly or can simmer for long periods of time.

If I have onion, bell peppers and garlic, I chop and saute them and then add chicken broth, some type of tomato (fresh tomato, canned diced tomato, or Rotel tomatoes), corn, drained black beans, depending upon what tomatoes I used I will add salsa or green chilis; if I have some I'll add cilantro, add cumin to taste (other spices depending upon how flavorful the broth is), shredded or chopped chicken.  We serve with tortilla chips and cheddar cheese on top--some sliced avocado if we have some on hand.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

The bean soup recipe on the back of the bag of Ham Beans brand 15 bean mix is yummy snd easy. 

I use the 15 bean mix and make the absolute easiest soup ever that still tastes good. This works in a crockpot or on the stove, but I do it in my dutch oven in the oven. I put in the bean mix and beef broth (I use fake beef broth since I'm vegetarian and toss the seasoning packet that comes with the beans), a bay leaf, and 8 cups of water and bake at 350 for a couple of hours until the beans are soft. Then I dump in a can of diced tomatoes and bake for another 15 min or so. Slow baking like that seems to make a delicious broth like magic, and it tastes even better the next day.

• Like 1

I buy the bear dry soup mix at Walmart and add to it.

The broccoli cheese is a favorite.  I take an onion, some carrots and some broccoli and chop up fairly fine.  Toss that all in the 8 cups of water called for and heat to boiling.  Add the soup mix and simmer for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).  Serve with a sprinkling of shredded cheese or toss some cheese in the soup.

you can easily add cooked ham, chicken, etc 

• Like 1

Here is a roasted vegetable soup that I make that my family loves (adapted from an Ina May Garten recipe and something I saw on TikTok.)  The prep can be done a day ahead but assembling takes no time at all.  

INGREDIENTS

1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1-2 inch cubes)

1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks

Celery - several stalks cut into large chunks

1 large onion - peeled and quartered

1 head garlic - separate cloves  but leave in the paper skin.

(can add sweet potatoes and parsnips, but will need more broth if adding more veggies.)

Salt and pepper

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

32 oz broth (vegetable or chicken)

1 15.5 oz can cannelloni beans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel and cut up vegetables, toss in olive oil and spread out on parchment covered baking sheets in a single layer.  Season with salt and pepper.  Roast for 45 minutes or so, turning over halfway through with a spatula - until veggies are soft and have some caramelization.

Heat up broth.   Drain and rinse beans.

Squeeze garlic from the skins into a blender or food processor (or use an immersion blender).  Add roasted vegetables, beans, and about half the broth.  Process or blend until smooth.  Add all ingredients (including rest of broth) back into the pot, stir, and season to taste with salt and pepper.  

Can serve with roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), crispy bacon, crusty bread.  

• Thanks 2

Creamy Lentil Soup

6 slices of bacon
2 C chopped leek
1C chopped onion
3 C water
12-14 oz baking potato, chopped
1 C dried lentils
3/4 C chopped carrot
1/2 t salt
2 C chx broth
1/2 C heavy cream
2 T dry sherry

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside. Put drippings in a dutch oven, add leek and onion snd sauté 4 mins. Add carrots, potatoes, lentils, water, broth, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hr. Puree somewhat (not completely) with an immersion blender. Add cream and sherry. Stir, taste and season with S&P. Serve with bacon crumbles on top. 

8 hours ago, goldberry said:

Share recipe?

White Chili

This is very easy to put together if you have 2 cups of cooked chicken already on hand

2 onions, chopped

3-4 tsp  minced garlic 

2 or 3 cups of cooked chicken—shredded or chopped

3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

2 (4 ounce) green chili peppers, chopped 

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp dried oregano

1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper

4-5 cans great northern beans, undrained

Sautee onions and garlic until onions are soft.  Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Add beans and heat through.

Serve with any or all of the following

Tortilla chips

Monterey Jack cheese

Sour cream

Salsa

Avocado.

• Like 1

Tuscan chicken soup. If you get the precut veggies at trader joes, the whole first part is done for you.

•  
  • 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 1 medium yellow onion medium dice
  • carrots peeled, washed, and medium dice
  • stalks celery washed and medium diced
  • zucchini washed and medium diced
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic chopped finely
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 28 can crushed tomatoes
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • Kosher salt-to taste
  • Fresh ground black pepper -to taste
  • 12 cup farro

Directions

In a large pot add 2 tbsp olive oil and saute onions, celery, and carrots over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic. Saute until tender about 4-6 minutes.

Add chicken stock, tomatoes, basil, oregano, chicken. Simmer soup for 20 minutes, vegetables should be tender. Add the farro and cook right in the soup for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes.

Top with grated parmiggiano reggiano or pecorino romano cheese and serve!

• Like 1