Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

One can just line dry all laundry, even for a family. A dryer isn't a necessity. There are folding racks that hold an entire load.

I bought a drying rack from Ikea that can even hold two loads. I love that thing. I live in Florida where we have ceiling fans in nearly every room and set the rack under one. It's amazing how fast those clothes dry. For my nicer clothes, I sometimes throw them in the dryer for a few minutes just to shake out the wrinkles and then hang them on hangers from doorways. Clothes dry very nicely this way too.

• Like 1

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, regentrude said:

One can just line dry all laundry, even for a family. A dryer isn't a necessity. There are folding racks that hold an entire load.

I am aware, own a drying rack, and have lived with a clothesline and no dryer at different times in my life. However, @heartlikealion mentioned that she got rid of her drying rack and I was trying to offer encouragement and a no-cost solution that didn’t have her surrounded by clothes in her main living spaces. 

• Like 3

Can you just grab that internal white part, with pliers or something, and turn it? 

As for the dryer, when mine was broken I would take my clean wet clothes to the laundro mat. Drying is cheaper than washing - I guess because they know if they make it too expensive people will line dry. (at least, that was true in my area)

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and can you see/access where the dryer vents outside? My houses always had a little screen or something there, and you could remove it and you had to clean out the lint at that end now and then. Worth a shot!

It also occurs to me that the actual vent to the outside and whatever duct runs to the house should be cleaned by the landlord as part of maintenance. So maybe Heart could ask him to look at it. The only part Heart is responsible for is the actual hook up to the dryer which was either done by the previous owners of the dryer or by a delivery man/installer when they bought the unit. Worth a shot to ask him if he could vacuum the duct.

I would take a photo of where the knob goes on your phone, a measurement of how wide the opening is, and the model number to Home Depot and Lowes. Ask if there is a generic know that might work - you should be able to return it if you get it home and it obviously won't fit. 

20 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Does the white part I have the red arrow pointing at turn if you grab it with the pliers? Seems maybe that is what the knob is turning, when it is on there?

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 8.16.03 PM.png

I can barely grip it with the pliers I have. It slips off. Hypothetically you could use a wrench probably but then you can’t see the disc with the pictures to know what you’re selecting. 

I can’t 3D print a knob at work. I contacted another place. But it’s probably not worth it. 

Friend can’t bring couch. It’s cheaper to ship a new couch than pay for uhaul. I don’t want to make my dad load the trailer alone. He’s gonna need too much micromanaging and muscle. But for me to go down, load, unload, return trailer it’s a million trips. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Friend can’t bring couch. It’s cheaper to ship a new couch than pay for uhaul. I don’t want to make my dad load the trailer alone. He’s gonna need too much micromanaging and muscle. But for me to go down, load, unload, return trailer it’s a million trips. 

Would it be better to sell it and then buy a used couch in NOLA?

21 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Would it be better to sell it and then buy a used couch in NOLA?

I’ll just have to wait til it’s convenient to make a full trip because the trailer we will borrow will also fit other large items like a cabinet, bookcase. 
It is super inconvenient now with my work hours plus the rain we’ve had. 
The couch sucks and I wouldn’t expect much. I got it real cheap on Amazon. 

Worst case there’s no couch when dd comes over. We’ll live. She’ll sit on my bed. 

This link sells the part for $48, but if you type in the Frigidaire Part #131873301 to Amazon, they sell a Lifetime compatible part (with lots of good reviews) for $12.   (There's also one for $9.95, but with only 2 reviews - too suspicious for me.)

We are a line drying family here (95%), and after we got used to it, it truly is no biggie. (Just throwing that out there if it becomes a helpful idea in the future; we have a collapsible drying rack but also a retractable wall line.)

Landlord should replace the part, but . . . maybe he likes $12 better than $48?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

This link sells the part for $48, but if you type in the Frigidaire Part #131873301 to Amazon, they sell a Lifetime compatible part (with lots of good reviews) for $12.   (There's also one for $9.95, but with only 2 reviews - too suspicious for me.)

We are a line drying family here (95%), and after we got used to it, it truly is no biggie. (Just throwing that out there if it becomes a helpful idea in the future; we have a collapsible drying rack but also a retractable wall line.)

Landlord should replace the part, but . . . maybe he likes $12 better than $48?

He said he was not responsible for it as he never bought the washer/dryer. It was left by the previous tenants. However he is going to look for the possible leak I told him about. 

• Like 1

Why would a landlord be responsible for a washing machine? Is that common there? I am a landlord and have never heard of it before. Is it a USA specific thing ?or a regional thing?

Here the only appliance provided by a landlord is a stove. And they are hardwired into the house. They have to be inspected every year and a safety certificate supplied by a licensed contractor. The Tennent brings their own fridges and washing machine etc. if a tennent left a washing machine then the landlord could use some of the Tennant's bond money to get it disposed of before renting out the house again.

55 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Why would a landlord be responsible for a washing machine? Is that common there? I am a landlord and have never heard of it before. Is it a USA specific thing ?or a regional thing?

Here the only appliance provided by a landlord is a stove. And they are hardwired into the house. They have to be inspected every year and a safety certificate supplied by a licensed contractor. The Tennent brings their own fridges and washing machine etc. if a tennent left a washing machine then the landlord could use some of the Tennant's bond money to get it disposed of before renting out the house again.

Normally in most states in the US, if the major appliance comes with the rental and is deemed a working unit, then the landlord is required to maintain or replace for the duration of the lease.

No matter what, the landlord liable for the maintenance of the duct in the wall and the vent outside as that is structural, part of the building. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Normally in most states in the US, if the major appliance comes with the rental and is deemed a working unit, then the landlord is required to maintain or replace for the duration of the lease.

No matter what, the landlord liable for the maintenance of the duct in the wall and the vent outside as that is structural, part of the building. 

I have never seen a clothes  dryer ducted to outside. 

7 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Where do yours vent to? I have never seen one vented to anywhere but outside? Wouldn't it create horrible humidity if it was vented inside?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Here the only appliance provided by a landlord is a stove. And they are hardwired into the house

Most apartments here come with all large appliances. A rental house might not necessarily, but still common in a rental house for all large appliances (except washer and dryer perhaps) to be included.

7 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Where do yours vent? Just to the inside of the laundry room? Does anyone use a gas dryer?

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Stove, dishwasher and fridge are typical for rentals. Sometimes there is no dishwasher depending on the house set up. A fridge is sometimes provided by the tenant, but more often the landlord.  Washers/Dryers are optional, but are often included if a special size is needed like the OP, where it is a smaller, apartment size, stacked set.  Some apartments have the option for the tenant to have their own, or for them to rent one from the facility. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He will haul it away if I ask… but when I was told the house had one I assumed (incorrectly) it would be more user-friendly etc 

This home’s fridge looks full size but it’s not as tall as most I’ve had. It’s fine for me, though. I don’t usually keep my fridge packed. 

I stocked up on boxed milk (thanks, Dollar Tree) and other items to have handy for cooking or quick meals/snacks when the kids come. I got a few gifts for the kids tonight. Good deals. 2 T-shirts & a game for under $20 total. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tap said:

Where do yours vent to? I have never seen one vented to anywhere but outside? Wouldn't it create horrible humidity if it was vented inside?

I don't have one. I line dry. Most Australians line dry. And if they have a dryer they only use it to "finish off drying" in an extremely wet period in winter. They are very expensive to run. Electricity is very expensive here.

One of my ds has one. It isn't vented anywhere, the warm air just goes into the laundry I guess. He would only use it once a week max

My mum has one. She would only use it maybe 10 times a year . It doesn't have vents either. None of my friends have one that I am aware of. The house we rent out doesn't even have room for a dryer in the combination laundry/bathroom

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tap said:

Outside of the US, dryers are more often condenser type rather than vented type. They often have a water collection compartment that needs to be emptied regularly.
https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/laundry/tumble-dryers/condenser-vs-vented-tumble-dryers-whats-difference/

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maize said:

Outside of the US, dryers are more often condenser type rather vented type. They often have a water collection compartment that needs to be emptied regularly.
https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/laundry/tumble-dryers/condenser-vs-vented-tumble-dryers-whats-difference/

Thank you. I had never thought that it was a different type of dryer.

My new fact for the day .❤️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you. I had never thought that it was a different type of dryer.

My new fact for the day .❤️

Mine too!

Here the landlord also supplies the stove as the only appliance.  There may also not be an oven.  

You can expect floor coverings though.  In the Netherlands you might not even get that!  Definitely no appliances, no curtains, no light fittings, nor floor coverings.  It is called "ongemeubeleerd" which translates to 'unfurnished'.  If you do want to keep any that are currently in the rental, you negotiate that separately with the former tenants.

When you buy a house in the Netherlands, you literally buy a shell - the walls and roof.  The bathroom is part of the deal, but the kitchen cabinets may be dismantled, light fittings removed, flooring removed, etc and taken as well, unless negotiated as part of the deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

26 minutes ago, Hannah said:

Mine too!

Here the landlord also supplies the stove as the only appliance.  There may also not be an oven.  

You can expect floor coverings though.  In the Netherlands you might not even get that!  Definitely no appliances, no curtains, no light fittings, nor floor coverings.  It is called "ongemeubeleerd" which translates to 'unfurnished'.  If you do want to keep any that are currently in the rental, you negotiate that separately with the former tenants.

When you buy a house in the Netherlands, you literally buy a shell - the walls and roof.  The bathroom is part of the deal, but the kitchen cabinets may be dismantled, light fittings removed, flooring removed, etc and taken as well, unless negotiated as part of the deal.

The actual floor boards?!? What would you do with those? Every place is different 

• Like 2

Here you have to have a  floor but it doesn't necessarily have to have carpet. Landlord also has to provide some sort of basic window covering,  heating in one room , hot water service and smoke alarms . In warmer states like Queensland they have to provide cooling as well. I think just in one room.

• Like 1

The wrench worked (did that when the glue was drying) and I could sorta gauge what I was aiming for as far as settings. The knob I made also works. It’s just a little top heavy but I could just take it off when not in use so it doesn’t keep slipping. 

So yay I can turn the knob without pulling my hair out. And if it breaks off then I’ll superglue the real part back on.

• Like 6

Due to holiday closures (and not being open on Sunday) I get 4 days off in a row with the kids when I have them for winter break. Dec 22-25. 😊 They go back to their dad that evening. I intend to do one of driving light tours. There are a couple places that do them but one charges $10/vehicle and one charges $25+. I have a couple other ideas in mind as well. I think we’ll have fun. 

• Like 11

After a bunch of hemming and hawing I ordered this… it will offer extra seating in the living room and store the other 2 twin mattresses year round. So I think it’s worth it. I’ll move the twin XL into my room and out the regular twins in this. It won’t be here til later this month. I’ll get the mattresses here soon hopefully. 

IMG_5930.jpeg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

After a bunch of hemming and hawing I ordered this… it will offer extra seating in the living room and store the other 2 twin mattresses year round. So I think it’s worth it. I’ll move the twin XL into my room and out the regular twins in this. It won’t be here til later this month. I’ll get the mattresses here soon hopefully. 

IMG_5930.jpeg

I am curious to see how you like this when it comes. We need a new couch and I would love it if this works well. Where did you order it from?

18 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

oh wow, I've never seen or had or looked at a rental that didn't have a refrigerator! Washing machine is often not included - although in an apartment complex there is usually/often a "laundry room" with coin operated machines. 

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

IMG_5930.jpeg

Ooh, that's really cool! We have an old daybed in the upstairs lounge/schoolroom and I want to replace it - it is NOT comfortable to sit on like a couch because the "back" is just metal bars and pillows fall through, etc. Or my dog kicks them off. This has an actual couch back, so that would be better. And we have a trundle under it, os this would do the same thing, but hopefully be more couch like. Let us know how you like it! 

• Like 1

I think that over time, New Orleans is going to be better for you than rural Mississippi or even small-city Mississippi. Besides the availability of cultural stuff, better facilities, jobs, public transportation, etc., in my experience it's just easier to be low-income in a city than out in the middle of nowhere. Plus there's more to do! Also I think it'll be good for your kids growing up to spend regular time in the city.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

You were up late! 🙂

Yes! I had planned to catch up on sleep. I assembled the cat furniture and took a nap and then went out. The final band got on stage so late. I left the venue around 1 am and they were playing another song or two. A friend there took today off. 

3 hours ago, thatfirstsip said:

I think that over time, New Orleans is going to be better for you than rural Mississippi or even small-city Mississippi. Besides the availability of cultural stuff, better facilities, jobs, public transportation, etc., in my experience it's just easier to be low-income in a city than out in the middle of nowhere. Plus there's more to do! Also I think it'll be good for your kids growing up to spend regular time in the city.

I have no idea about things being easier cost-wise for me, but there are more places. It took me less than 20 min? to go to the FQ. 

34 minutes ago, maize said:

I do think you might be more of a city person Heart. You like to get out and do things, and cities are good for that.

Me, I'd rather sit and read a book than go to a concert 99.9% of the time. I find city life overwhelming. 

I don’t even like visiting cities but I also don’t like to go out and do things.  I think the city might be perfect for heart though. 

• Like 3

Curve ball… xh texted that ds is coming tomorrow night. I am scrambling to get a mattress here lol my dad is gonna drive one to me tonight along with some clothes, towels  & one of my cooking pans. I offered to meet him somewhere but moving the stuff from car to car is a pain. I told him he could rent a trailer if he wanted (Tractor Supply etc) since he could return it to his location afterwards but he doesn’t want to do all that. And that’s fine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maize said:

I do think you might be more of a city person Heart. You like to get out and do things, and cities are good for that.

Me, I'd rather sit and read a book than go to a concert 99.9% of the time. I find city life overwhelming. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I don’t even like visiting cities but I also don’t like to go out and do things.  I think the city might be perfect for heart though. 

Yeah I’ve never liked rural living lol except the peace at night. But my neighborhood isn’t noisy. 

A friend here uses Uber and Lyft to go out but that gets expensive and I rarely drink so I don’t need it unless it’s a safety issue. 

I’ve made friends? acquaintances? at this branch but tomorrow is my last day here so I’ll get their phone numbers. They said I could join them at Ren Fest (with kids) this weekend but that’s not cheap and none of us have costumes. I’ll only go if the kids seem interested. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

Wifi is on. Ds’ bed is now here. Bought more groceries tonight (this particular Walmart has NO self check out. Ugh). 

Xh sent me another medical bill. I’m not sure what day I’ll get my first check. 

Might drive kids all the way to their dad on Sun so I can grab the tv and some other items. I need to list my microwave for sale. There’s one built in here. 

• Like 3

Sat I plan to bring the kids to the branch I’ve been working at and sign them up for cards. And encourage ds to explore the teen room. Definitely not doing Ren Fest this weekend. It’s outside the city and on the day I’m driving the kids back to xh. Might take the kids to Dave & Buster’s though. 

I was too tired to deal with the tree so I’ll ask the kids to help me set it up. I don’t even have all my ornaments here yet. 

• Like 1