Menu

What holiday food gifts do you make?

Eos

Homeschool days…we did a Make nTake every year.

Bean  soup jar and included a spice packet. (No, I don’t have that recipe)

Snowman  soup - dollar store Christmas mugs with a packet of hot chocolate and a candy cane and a little poem..(nope don’t have that open, but I’m sure you could find something on Pinterest)

• Like 2

I am using this recipe for hot cocoa mix. 

https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/best-hot-chocolate-mix-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-113807

I am making up pancake mix as well.

We will be giving away a quart to each person, two to each couple, of dried cinnamon apples, and dried pineapple.

I homemade canned peach salsa pint jar and one pint of my canned beef roast.

Mark is the candy maker, and will give away tins filled with chocolate fudge, English toffee, and peanut brittle.

Those who will not be celebrating Christmas Eve Smorrebrod with us will receive a desert tray prior to the holiday with Kringle, Honninghjerter, Peppernodder, Finsk Brod, and Vaniljekranse. I have made Danse Lagenkage in the past, and it was very good. But, I have so much to do and that is best made the day of, so I am not making it this year.

• Like 4

Last year I made a few sets of frozen sourdough cinnamon rolls packaged in disposable aluminum tins.  The tins came with covers.  I put icing in a plastic piping bag to freeze too.  Printed out instructions to finish nicely which was basically defrost over night, bake at x temp for 35-45 minutes, cool 15 minutes, ice and enjoy.   

One could certainly do this without having a sourdough starter and just use regular yeasted dough.  

• Like 3

My sister gives us those cinnamon sugar covered nuts.  I prefer straight almonds but she does mixed nuts. I make dehydrated pineapple (with no added sugar). My nephew likes cowboy candy (basically a sweet pickled jalapenos), my son loves my homemade applesauce and gets a couple of cases.  My dad gets a pot of chicken noodle soup (my mom doesn't cook much anymore and my dad loves homemade soup).

• Like 3

I make jelly and jam throughout the year and give a variety at Christmas.  We have also made homemade oatmeal pancake mix;  For families with younger children we have a large gingerbread man pan that we use to make a large gingerbread cooked and provide various candies and icing for the family to decorate it. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Kassia said:

have you made these before?  It's an interesting recipe and I might make these as a gift but was wondering if you've had success with them .

No, I haven’t.  I’m planning to do them the few days before thanksgiving so I’ll try to remember to post and let you know how they turned out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

No, I haven’t.  I’m planning to do them the few days before thanksgiving so I’ll try to remember to post and let you know how they turned out.  

that would be great, thank you!  Hope they are wonderful!  🙂 

eta:  @Bootsiethe gingerbread w/decorations is such a fantastic idea! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

We've made this pumpkin bread before, and everyone likes it. 
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6820/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/
We do cut the sugar a bit and use half applesauce, half oil. 

We've also made savory kolaches. These are a big hit, but they are also a lot of work.  The dough is basically this recipe, but we make scrambled eggs/bacon/cheese/ham combos, but close up the dough so the contents are surrounded by the bread.
https://www.homesicktexan.com/sweet-escape-kolaches/
These are like the ones from the Kolache Factory - https://kolachefactory.com/menu/savory

• Like 2

My friends in general are much more talented in the kitchen than I am.  1 always gives us a pumpkin roll and 1 does a basket full all sorts of goodie cheese, nuts, dips, pretzels that have been covered, infused and generally made yummy.

So I tend to do infused booze or drink mix. 

• Like 2

Homemade kahlua has been our Thing for years. We make our own labels, and decant into corked bottles. We have fewer coffee lovers in our life now, so need a new drink to make. I’m thinking of trying limoncello or something chocolate this year — need to get on it!

We make bacon jam for a few select people (FIL) but it gets gobbled up so fast, only a few receive it as gifts. DS and I make it. It must be consumed soon after making, so it’s not like a jam that can sit in the shelf for a bit.

Friends make coquito every year and we look forward to that!

Flavored butters were a hit here, too.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

We make bacon jam for a few select people (FIL) but it gets gobbled up so fast, only a few receive it as gifts. DS and I make it. It must be consumed soon after making, so it’s not like a jam that can sit in the shelf for a bit.

I'd love the recipe if you don't mind sharing.

I make Christmas crack for the neighbors.  My husband really wanted to go caroling and pass out plates of various goodies.  After a few years of attempting that with young kids and me about losing my mind we switched to a simple purchased item like nice cookies or mixed nuts or something like that.  Now that the kids are older I still don't want to do the variety plates but I like doing just one thing and the Christmas crack is a huge hit.  People love it.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bootsie said:

;  For families with younger children we have a large gingerbread man pan that we use to make a large gingerbread cooked and provide various candies and icing for the family to decorate it. 

This is perfect for a family we know.

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

Homemade kahlua has been our Thing for years. We make our own labels, and decant into corked bottles. We have fewer coffee lovers in our life now, so need a new drink to make. I’m thinking of trying limoncello or something chocolate this year — need to get on it!

Friends make coquito every year and we look forward to that!

Flavored butters were a hit here, too.

Yum to all these.

• Like 1