Menu

Painting toddler’s toenails

Indigo Blue

Is this a big deal? Frowned upon? Stupid? This is another little thing that has popped up in life that has me pondering. There was a negative and judgy reaction about painted toe nails on a toddler not done in my presence but later told to me by the person who did it. It was actually directed right at the child. I was pretty mad about that. 

Later, to me in private, there was a comment about how ridiculous it is because the mom should wait until the child is old enough to make that choice for herself. Just IRATE about it. 

🤷‍♀️Aside from considering using a nontoxic nail polish, I personally don’t see anything wrong with it. I probably wouldn’t do it just because it’s something I would probably never think about doing, and I don’t think it’s “important” really. Not because I think it’s horrible. 

Am I missing something? 

Edited by Indigo Blue
Typo
  • Confused 3

I never paint my nails (or my children's) but I have absolutely no problem with other people doing it.

And the comment about waiting until the child is old enough to make the choice -- I agree for something permanent like ear piercing, but for nail polish I think it's not necessary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My youngest tapped on my nails and pointed at hers and clearly wanted a pink mani pedi long before she knew how to ask for it. She’s also the child that insists she will wear a dress to everything. When I insisted she wear shorts because it was fun run day at preschool, after I left the room she added a tutu on top of her shorts. 

I have at times delayed painting her nails when she asked because I knew we’d be spending time with kids whose moms think makeup and nail polish is frivolous and the expectation for that level of grooming is sexist.  But honestly I suspect that’s more because they tend towards the nerdy & just never got into it. 

• Thanks 1

It's not a big deal, and if people want to frown upon it, they really, really need to find something better to do with their time. What in the world?

And making a little kid potentially feel BADLY about their painted nails? That just makes me angry. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If mine wanted hers done when I did mine, I would.  Nobody ever said anything.  But, I live in a pretty live-and-let-live area.  And, it being in the south, nail polish is right up there big hair bows - not everybody does it, but when people do it's usually considered cute.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This falls in the "you do you" category.  I care 0% who else's kids are wearing toenail polish.  😛

For my own kids, I made it a little rite of passage that they could use nail polish beginning at 5yo.  This was because my eldest was fascinated by such things from an early age.

I personally don't use nail polish, never have.  My parents didn't like it, and my dad told me it was invented to hide how dirty women's fingernails were (no idea if that's true), and I'm just not into cosmetics at all.  But my kids like it, and it's certainly not a moral issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Clarita said:

The irate person is missing the fact that nail polish is temporary and not some gateway activity that's going to lead to a life of crime. 

I do tell DD5 that her friends need to ask their parents before doing their nails. 

One minute they're 2 years old and showing off their pretty toenails. Then you blink and they're 16 years old and skipping class to smoke pot behind the gym. Beware!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

the mom should wait until the child is old enough to make that choice for herself.

I’m literally LOL about this. Good luck to anyone who tries to paint a toddler’s nails if they don’t want it done. No one is strapping screaming toddlers down to paint their tootsies. She made the choice to allow her nails to be painted nails or they wouldn’t be painted. 😂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I grew up being told this was associated with another ethnic group and not something our ethnic group did.

For that reason — I would not put up with this garbage.  

If there’s no reason to think there is some hint of this, I would still not countenance this attitude, but I wouldn’t care very much beyond not being interested in hearing it.  

But yeah upon reading this, I suspect there’s some racist sentiment.  

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I grew up being told this was associated with another ethnic group and not something our ethnic group did.

For that reason — I would not put up with this garbage.  

If there’s no reason to think there is some hint of this, I would still not countenance this attitude, but I wouldn’t care very much beyond not being interested in hearing it.  

But yeah upon reading this, I suspect there’s some racist sentiment.  

It didn’t seem to have any racist elements to it, really. There are just certain people that this person seems to want to look for things to criticize. I was just wondering if there really is any reason to be up in arms about that, or if it was just probably another thing to  criticize. 

• Like 1

I guess I've not been around people who thought it was an awful thing. IME, kids who want their nails painted are usually wanting it done when they see mom/aunt/sister doing theirs. Mine didn't ask because I rarely ever paint my nails. But I wouldn't have hesitated if they had asked, as a kind of bonding with my little ones. But I also had my girls' ears pierced, because I was living in a culture where that is how you distinguished between baby girls and baby boys. Without it, it was assumed they were boys. They haven't held it against me as adults.

• Like 1

I heard a great line today . . . 
hospitals needing to treat eye-roll injuries.  I hope your eye-roll injuries were successfully treated.

I don't paint my nails, it makes them brittle and it takes three months of no nail polish for them to grow out where they stop being brittle. (I have very hard nails, they're very useful.)
sometimes I'll paint my toenails for some summer cheer.  (I once received a copy of a "pledge" - you're supposed to raise your big toe - about painting toenails while wearing sandles/flip-flops.)

For people getting uptight over nail polish on a child . . . take a chill pill.  They should count themselves lucky that's the biggest thing in their life to get uptight about.

i've also known parents of identicals who painted toenails to tell them apart in the early days.

Edited by gardenmom5

42 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I guess I've not been around people who thought it was an awful thing. IME, kids who want their nails painted are usually wanting it done when they see mom/aunt/sister doing theirs. Mine didn't ask because I rarely ever paint my nails. But I wouldn't have hesitated if they had asked, as a kind of bonding with my little ones. But I also had my girls' ears pierced, because I was living in a culture where that is how you distinguished between baby girls and baby boys. Without it, it was assumed they were boys. They haven't held it against me as adults.

interesting.

I know here putting a baby in pink doesn't stop people from asking what sex the baby is. - and that was 40 years ago!

I grew up where this sort of thing was scandalous. Like might as well set your child up for a life of promiscuity. 

It is hard to shake off for whatever reason but I made myself. It is toenail polish. It isn’t really my style or interest but it has no value or meaning or morality. 

Oh - back in the day when I had nail polish on my dresser. . . . 1ds tried to paint his nails himself. . . I was in the shower.  He was three.   While I consider myself pretty traditional, I didn't care my three year old SON wanted to wear nail polish.  He had big sisters.  big whoop.  I was more upset about all the other places he got the nail polish . . . like my brand new dresser, or my duvet cover, or the carpet. . . .

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

interesting.

I know here putting a baby in pink doesn't stop people from asking what sex the baby is. - and that was 40 years ago!

Yeah, I got very tired of my 4yodd being called "he" even when she had hair which brushed her shoulders and wore a flowered shirt with her shorts. But her ears weren't pierced, so it was assumed she was male. So the next ones had their ears pierced.

• Like 1