Menu

I need some flower arranging opinions

Faith-manor

So I am insane. Honorary daughter and fiance (we have always called him son in law for ease of conversation), the couple that lost their baby girl in April, are officially tying the knot in a simple outdoor service a week from tomorrow. Yes, odd time. The issue at hand is the courthouse is booked for months in advance for magistrate, churches and typical venues with officiant are also booked sometimes even years in advance. They do not have a home church, though they are religious - they both usually have to work Sundays - so no pastor willing to do anything in his/her office. A friend of theirs is a UU officiant and could do Monday which just happened to be a day off from work, so ya. That's the backstory.

They were not going to have any flowers. No money, no time. So I said I would pull it together. This is not normally a big deal. I have done a ton of event planning and custom, silk floral arranging in the past. However, she wanted fresh. I don't have refrigeration for this, nor do I have a wholesale license so I can't order from any of the Michigan floral providers. The floral shops themselves, I called 29 stores in Michigan yesterday, can not do anything besides roses, baby's breath, carnations, daisies, and stock greenery without 21 day lead times because you know, June is wedding month and everyone is backed up. She is NOT the traditional rose, carnations kind of gal. What I need are light blue delphinium or pompoms, thistle, lamb's ears, and well, that isn't going to happen in fresh.

So, I am considering getting two huge bundles of baby's breath from my local flower shop, and then assembling, on the day, with willow branches, silk lamps grass, dried wheat, silk light blue pompoms, little sprigs of white and beige silk hydrangea, and silk lamb's ears. The only reason I am considering the fresh baby's breath is that dried is super fragile, and artificial look terrible. Does anyone think this will work? Do you think it will look really odd having one fresh item mixed with all the silk and dried items?

The ceremony is 5 pm. I have time to pull it off that day because it is only the bride, maid of honor, corsage for her mum, boutonnieres for groom, best man, and Mark. (She has never had a dad in her life, and asked Mark to walk her down the aisle. His chest is very puffed today! 😀) I would be able to use our sons' fridge and our camp cooler to keep the assembled arrangements cool once done however, I am worried about that in terms of condensation on the silks. Really not sure about this.

I need input!

• Like 1

If you put the choice of fresh daisies or whatever vs silk versions of her perfect flower to her what does she choose? 

I wouldn’t choose roses given a choice but I’d choose fresh flowers that weren’t my choice over fake ones.  But she might feel differently. 

What you describe sounds lovely.  It just isn’t what I would choose.

• Like 1

Did you check any of the online places you can order bulk fresh flowers? Blooms By the Box is one of them. I’ve never ordered from them, but I know they have a wide selection of flowers and greenery that you can buy by the stem or by the bunch.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BandH said:

If you put the choice of fresh daisies or whatever vs silk versions of her perfect flower to her what does she choose? 

I wouldn’t choose roses given a choice but I’d choose fresh flowers that weren’t my choice over fake ones.  But she might feel differently. 

What you describe sounds lovely.  It just isn’t what I would choose.

She really does not like most cultivated, cut flowers. She loves the wild, woodland look, but she does very much want baby's breath, and was willing to sacrifice your other things for the baby's breath. She didn't realize that florists stock the standards only and then pre order for specific delivery the other types for weddings. They do keep lilies, but she really does not like them. When her grandma died, she told me so many people ordered lilies that the church was absolutely covered in them, and she strongly associates them with death.

This is the girl who if she were getting married in late April would wander out and cut a bundle of pussy willows to carry or in the fall, cat tails and pampas grass. She just is not traditional at all.

I know how you feel about roses. Not a flower I like that much. I ended up with this massive rose bouquet for my wedding because my mom wanted to carry red roses for her wedding but could not afford them. She made such a stink about the "privilege that your father is willing to pay for roses" that I gave up and just carried the stupid things under the condition that they would be lavender and white, not red. As a result, I tend to try SUPER hard to give brides a bouquet they will cherish.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Did you check any of the online places you can order bulk fresh flowers? Blooms By the Box is one of them. I’ve never ordered from them, but I know they have a wide selection of flowers and greenery that you can buy by the stem or by the bunch.

I did. The issue is that there is a minimum bulk order, and it is too many flowers for this little, tiny wedding. Shipping is expensive if not spending a large amount of money, and they won't deliver to our son's apartment. They would deliver to our street address, but we aren't leaving for the wedding until the Saturday night before, and we would need to be able to keep them refrigerated. So a lot of fresh flowers isn't practical. This is just a weird situation. If this were a large wedding, it would be an option.

I am wondering how the willow branches will do in a refrigerator once her bouquet is made. Usually when I do work with live, which isn't often, everything is live. I haven't blended before. But, I have also seen a lot of unique floral arrangements that have to be a blend of fresh and dried, and somehow it works. I need to check youtube. I just don't want to do anything ugly.

I thank Rosie for her comment! It is encouraging. This is very much a labor of love for a young woman who brings us great joy.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

What about Trader Joe's or another such place? I've seen all kinds of fresh flowers there. 

Good thought. There is a Trader Joe in KZoo. I will call them tomorrow and see what they stock. Costco and Sam's had primarily just the standards, roses, carnations, daisies.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dianthus said:

Did you only call floral shops or did you also call grocery store florists and check Sam's club / costco?

We have had good luck special ordering bulk from grocery florists.

I checked Sam's and Costco figuring I could find someone with a membership who could be given money to go get them. But, they only carried standard fair. Lots of roses and daisies this time of year.

2 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Lilacs or something that’s blooming now to pick? Anything in a nursery you could buy as plants?

I don’t see an earthy woodsy girl wanting silk or fake flowers.

Yes, I know. Sigh. Unfortunately, apart from Baby's breath, the stuff she likes are literally wildflowers that are now protected. I can't just go out and cut, and of course, if I had known a year in advance, I would have attempted to grow them on my property. Not that I am complaining. They have been through hell and back, and if now so the opportunity to make this very positive, joyful move forward in their lives, then so be it. She does like dried wild stuff, and I can get some of that from Michaels, JoAnns, etc. So that is why I thought maybe I could get away with the fresh baby's breath plus the willow and birch twigs, dried pampass grass, silk thistle or pom poms because they look so different from silk roses and standard flowers.

The happiest thing would be to take a walk in the woods and start cutting. But that is not an option in Michigan. Pretty much everything that is non invasive is protected because so many native species are having the life snuffed out of them by the invasive like autumn olive, and thin leaf cattails, and such.

2 minutes ago, catz said:

Do you have locals farmers makers over the weekend where you could go buy bouquets?   I know a number of people who have done that and just taken whatever is rolling through that weekend.  

Oooo....good idea. I will start calling around Tuesday to see. It doesn't help that I found out about this last night, on a holiday weekend! My life never seems to have a dull moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

The only other thing I can think of is looking at people's gardens and asking if you can cut some of their (planted) wildflowers.

If I had flowers like that and someone asked for a small wedding, I would absolutely say yes. Do you have a neighborhood chat group or anything to ask on? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, freesia said:

If I had flowers like that and someone asked for a small wedding, I would absolutely say yes. Do you have a neighborhood chat group or anything to ask on? 

Not that I know of, but I am going to check Facebook and call the Master Gardener at the extension office.

• Like 1

I'm in Texas and saw quite an assortment of different flowers at Trader Joe's this week. Whatever you use it will be beautiful and she will love it! She sounds like she's looking forward to being married and won't be a fuss over decorations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eos said:

What a good community mother you are, @Faith-manor!

Thank you!

This young woman befriended our middle son during their first semester, freshman year of college. They have been buds ever since, and have seen each other through some tough times. Her own mum had a severe stroke, and cannot do a lot of mum things for her. She never knew her dad. Her mum's extended family rejected her because race. So she has never known strong family connections, just her and her mom going it on their own. We sort of adopted her, and it has just grown from there. She considers Mark to be her dad now, and I am her second mom. I try very hard to respect her mum, and include her in things as her health allows so she can have as much joy with her daughter as possible. It is hard. She is barely ambulatory, and can only tolerate about two hours of any kind of busyness every couple of days. Our youngest son and the groom's cousin are going to take charge of getting mum to the event, and then back home as soon as she needs to leave. We have a CNA on deck to be at the house with her for a couple of hours to make sure she is okay, and gets off to bed without any issues.

I love this girl so much, and I love her soon to be hubby. He is so precious! Our other honorary daughter, lived with us off and on through high school while her parents went through some marital and health stuff, is getting married in August. Our eldest boy commited (spiritual ceremony but no marriage license because it is better for them financially and for insurance benefits to not be legally married) this past year, and oh my goodness do we love G! She is da bomb! So I have four birth kids, two daughters by mutual choice, and one daughter by blessing, and soon to be three sons by law. They all feel like my kids, as if I had raised them even when I didn't. This is why our retirement house is so darn big. Family holidays are getting rather large. We need many beds, baths, and a big kitchen!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Add a lot of ferns to you list. I love the look of ferns with wild type bouquets. Also, ask any farmers if you can poke around in their fields. 

Thanks! All of you have encouraged me to become a botanical stalker!  If y'all see some weird headlines, "Strange woman raids farmer's drainage ditch for spring greenery", you will know its me and have a weird story to tell at parties. 😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Look at the local Farmers Market and ask.  I have friends who do fresh cut flowers this time of year.  You never know what they will have, but it will be something locally grown and usually harvested that day.  There are also some farms that allow you to go to the farm and cut.  I love doing flowers- just did a few for Memorial Day.   Where I'm at there are lots of flowers in bloom now, including peonies.  They would be a good alternative to roses.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, catz said:

Do you have locals farmers makers over the weekend where you could go buy bouquets?   I know a number of people who have done that and just taken whatever is rolling through that weekend.  

That’s what we did for our son’s wedding and they were gorgeous. And inexpensive, especially compared to a florist. Also, way, way  nicer. And they fit very well with the outdoor wedding and farm to table meal.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 4

Another thought is since this isn’t a traditional wedding anyways is to not do bouttiniers, corsages, etc- and just focus on the bride’s bouquet. Or just do a daisies for everyone else.

I think you could find something at the farmers market for the bride. 

Have any neighbors with a garden? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Another thought is since this isn’t a traditional wedding anyways is to not do bouttiniers, corsages, etc- and just focus on the bride’s bouquet. Or just do a daisies for everyone else.

I think you could find something at the farmers market for the bride. 

Have any neighbors with a garden? 

I am going to call our extension office when it opens tomorrow morning and asks the master gardener if any of his 4H gardening buddies might have flowers and greens to share. Some of the issue at hand is that this is very early in our part of Michigan for most varieties. We had a cool, very cool spring so the situation is that the lilacs and pussy willows are spent, as well as none traditional cut flowers like hyacinth, daffodils, etc. But the irises are late coming on as are a lot of May varieties and the June ones are going to be late as well. We are going to get some heat this week so a few things may be popping, however, not a lot. This spring really messed up the usual flow of blooms for the area. Still, someone might have something.

She really does not like daisies. So to make things easier for me, I am just making simple baby's breath bout on nodded and only need three. For her mama, I have a real touch ivory artificial hydrangea. I am going to cut it apart, and use a small piece, plus and artificial lamb's ear leaf (I have a couple of gorgeous stems, you cannot tell by looking at it that it is not real, in my stash), and baby's breath tied wrapped with floral tape and wrapped again with pretty ribbon. I can make all four of these items in half an hour. I will make a posy, miniature bouquet for her bridesmaid from whatever is leftover from making the bridal bouquet, and since dusty, smoky blue is one of her favorite colors, I have some ripped chiffon in that color play us ivory, and light grey, and will twist both bouquets up with the three color, and let a good length of each color ribbon hang down, allow the ends of the stems to peek out at the bottom.

I am very thankful that I had not sold off the last of my event planning supplies because it is quite useful this week to have floral tape, wire, ribbon and fabrics, some leftover flowers and such at hand.

But, once I get them made, they need to refrigerate, and that is where my unknown comes from for the live elements vs. faux. So I have decided to go buy some baby's breath tomorrow and take leftover silks I am not going to use, make a quick bouquet, wrap the stems, place them in a plastic bag, and tuck it in the fridge for several hours to see what happens. If I end up with stained chiffon from the stems of the baby's breath and any other random fresh greens I find weeping beyond the floral tape, or condensation on the silks, then I am going to need a plan B. If the only issue is potential stem juice, I do have some leftover thin, rip stop nylon fabric from mailing kites with a middle school engineering class. It is waterproof. So I could first wrap the stems with that after the floral tape, and then do the chiffon ribbon.

The chiffon ribbon is not shiny, very casual looking, ripped to fray on each aide with the fraud trimmed evenly, no long stringers. It is really very whimsical, not formal at all.

I am going to take a drive today to two farms where I know the owners to see what they might have growing that they would consider letting me raid. That is a great suggestion from the hive. We will see what it turns up.

Also, the small group of people attending this wedding are all going out to dinner afterward. Nothing expensive, and everyone has agreed to pay their own way because bride and groom really have no money to blow on this. I am taking mason jars, placing the gem stones I have in the bottom, and putting baby's breath in those for simple centerpieces for the tables. Mark thinks he may have some submersible LED candles to place in the bottoms. But I thought he gave those away at the last big event I did when I said, "This is it. I am NOT doing anymore wedding planning." F.a.m.o.u.s. l.a.s.t. w.o.r.d.s. 😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How about Target? Ours has a lot of variety, including pom-poms and daisy-ish things.

Any places that are a wholesale flower market? My daughter went to a place in the Twin Cities that was wonderful, and we have similar in my large city.

White waxflowers might go nicely with your plans, too, and they are very rustic looking and un-fragile. 😉 (Hardy? Not sure the right word to use)

I have ordered bulk flowers and greenery from sams club online for weddings, but I'm not sure if they will need more time than a week to fulfill the order. Sams club and Costco have great flowers in their fresh flower section. Also, if you have a Safeway or Albertsons with a floral department, you can talk to the florist and ask her to order what you need or set aside things you are looking for - they get fresh flowers twice a week usually and are super helpful. 

The dollar store often has nice clear glass vases if you need any. 

It sounds like you have a good plan. I'm sure everything will be lovely!!

• Thanks 1

I am going to call the master gardeners and see where I can forage since we can't do that on state land anymore. But, I do think I have a pretty good plan in place now for dried elements combined with fresh baby's breath. I hope to forage some greens and nice twigs, like willow and birch, that I can use for an arrangement on the arbor. There is a very rustic, no frills Arbor made of wood from within the nature preserve. It is kind of cool. If I could put some thistle, wheat grass, twigs, silk hydrangea, lamb's ears, etc. on it with zip ties that I can quick cut off after the event, it will be really pretty. I have seen some images of the spot and that arbor and other people have added arrangements for their events.

The spot is about 40 ft from grass parking, so that isn't bad. I am going to take my garden wagon for hauling items. It really some be elaborate. The natural beauty there is wonderful. But I am also going to make some fuzzy muscles to hang on the few chairs that will be there for his parents, and I want to make something pretty to hang off the back of her mama's wheelchair.

Here is one of the elements I have on the way. It is the exact color of blue she likes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FBCJJ8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That will be a splash of color with all the natural and greenery plus ivory hydrangea here and there and the white baby's breath.

I wanted fresh pussy willows. That was a no go. All of the nurseries are open today, and so have been calling, no one has them, and at the low, wet spots on my mom's back acreage, they are 100% all done. If I had known, I could have cut them two or three weeks ago and hanged them to dry. Oh well. Dried from the store will have to do.

• Like 2

Here is what I truly believe. The need for you to go "outside the box" as you create these arrangements is going to unleash your creative side and they are going to be the most amazing creations to enjoy, one's not only made with love (which is enough right there), but they will be something spectacular and unique. You will slay it!!!

You are the best!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 5

I bet you can find purple thistle along roadsides. I have a birding bidet-hole where a public street meanders a long way to nothing and there is never any traffic. It is overgrown with the most gorgeous wildflowers! 

If you do need to prefer something I believe sams will ship to your location.  

I’m sure your bride will be delighted by you efforts, please take some pics to share! 

44 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Here is what I truly believe. The need for you to go "outside the box" as you create these arrangements is going to unleash your creative side and they are going to be the most amazing creations to enjoy, one's not only made with love (which is enough right there), but they will be something spectacular and unique. You will slay it!!!

You are the best!

Bill

Thank you Bill! I feel like as I hash it out here, my creative juices are amping up, and a picture is forming. I appreciate the support and all the advice!

I know of two drainage ditches in the area that are farmer dug, so not owned by the county or township. I am going to do a drive by and see what I can forage on Saturday morning, if allowed,  before we have to leave for Kzoo and spend the weekend pulling this all together. The key is that many, many wild things do not last long once cut. I am going to look for pussy willows that may have dried well in the sun this weekend. I saw some pampas grass both light tan, ivory, and dark beige in a ditch right outside of town today, drying beautifully in the sun naturally. It isn't a protected grass or at least I do not think it is protected. I can't be sure. I am going to call the township supervisor tomorrow and failing him, the DNR office. However, the answer is nearly always NO from the DNR. 

I do have dried elements I can buy if I can't forage them. 

I have two gorgeous birch logs that Mark drilled out three holes in each for battery operated taper candles. I am going to cover them with leftover dried elements from making the floral arrangements and put them at the base of the arbor.

Now my head is turning towards the wheelchair decoration, what to make, how to affix it, making sure it is in no way impairing mama's comfort. Has anyone done this or seen such an arrangement for a wedding?

Definitely, now the initial panic of what can I make in one week, what can I get my hands on, is over, I am getting pretty jazzed to tackle the project.

LOL, Mark pulled out his portable sound equipment and microphone, found an inverter, and went outside with his portable Boze speakers, hooked up his 7 channel board, and the speakers to a car battery, and blared Piano Guys across the neighborhood. Sound solved. Electrical Engineer son 3, will be in charge of sound. They didn't even think they would be able to have music since there isn't any electricity out there. So T, the groom, actually cried when we told him to come up with an MP3 playlist and download to a USB. Poor T is still figuring out just how nerdville our family is and how much crazy stuff Mr. Technology had purchased used and hoarded in the attic. 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I bet you can find purple thistle along roadsides. I have a birding bidet-hole where a public street meanders a long way to nothing and there is never any traffic. It is overgrown with the most gorgeous wildflowers! 

I’m sure your bride will be delighted by you efforts, please take some pics to share! 

Absolutely. When I start getting items completed, I will post. And the happy couple has given me permission to post photos of the event for a short period of time next week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

I bet you can find purple thistle along roadsides. I have a birding [eta 😳wth😂 I’m sure I typed “hidey” curse you auto correct!] -hole where a public street meanders a long way to nothing and there is never any traffic. It is overgrown with the most gorgeous wildflowers! 

😂😂😂😂😂

gotta laugh at myself. Forgive me if anyone was offended or confused by the original wording 😂

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

Faith, do remember, too, that Home Depot and other similar stores often have lovely large potted plants, if you need something. I'm thinking lovely large pluming grass or something "wild-ish" that appeals. Dd's wedding was on Labor Day weekend, and we made liberal use of the huge potted mums that were covered with blooms for her rustic campground wedding. (There really wasn't much to decorate with, other than trees in the background, a flat, bare spot for the wedding party, and split-log benches at the ceremony spot.)

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1