Menu

WTM Cook-Along #1 -- Grilled Cheese & Spring Veggies

WildflowerMom

No one is posting pictures of their grilled cheese? ☹️ 

Here is my gluten free and vegan sandwich. It was very, very delicious. I made it outside on my deck. It has peppers and arugula along with vegan smoked provolone. And basil paste from Aldi. 

Not sure if I’ll be able to do this every time. This one was easy. 

F8DB9247-637A-4393-8A66-CB45E7C6AB16.jpeg

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Here's my corn on the cob we had for dinner. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the butter is seasoned with garlic and tony cachere's seasoning. I cut the ends off and took of about half of the shucks, then microwaved. I did 3 minutes on one side, 5 minutes on the other. Put it back in the microwave for about a minute after taking the rest of the shucks off. When you microwave it, the silk comes off with the shucks.

I loved it, dh said he would as soon have it with just butter and salt. I told him he's an insult to a good cook🤣

IMG_20230412_171414914.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I’m not part of this challenge, but I’m here for the pictures 🤤

@wildflowermom Your bread looks like perfection. Wait, I just reread and you put mayonnaise on the outside when you grilled it? I have never considered such a thing. Is that instead of butter? (for all I know, that’s normal and I’ve been doing it wrong my whole life by using butter 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m not part of this challenge, but I’m here for the pictures 🤤

@wildflowermom Your bread looks like perfection. Wait, I just reread and you put mayonnaise on the outside when you grilled it? I have never considered such a thing. Is that instead of butter? (for all I know, that’s normal and I’ve been doing it wrong my whole life by using butter 😂)

@Spy Carinsisted Mayo was superior to butter, so I tried it.   Yes, it was very, very good!   I like Mayo, but couldn’t even taste it, so if mayo isn’t your thing, I’d still try it out.    I didn’t put Mayo on the inside like spy car suggested.   It might be even better that way.   This sandwich was delicious!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 8:24 PM, BandH said:

Ugly but tasty is the best!  Beautiful but nasty is the worst!  Remember that food photographers do things like use lard instead of ice cream, so you can feel superior to them!

Ron Howard who was Opie in the Andy Griffith Show shared in his autobiography that every time he was supposed to have ice cream on set, instead they scooped out mashed potatoes beacuse Ice cream would melt under the lights. He talked about how he had to look happy licking a cone of potatoes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Grilled cheese #2 for us….  We were not as happy with this one.  I ate some of it, dh could not.  
Mayo on the outside of sourdough bread (I highly recommend the Mayo now!!!), Brie, and bacon jam.     It just wasn’t good, unfortunately.   Maybe I didn’t use enough jam.  I was wary of it and didn’t want to use too much.   Dh said it didn’t really have any taste.   It was pretty though, lol.   I’m telling y’all that Mayo makes it crispy without an overpowering taste.   Crispy on the outside, soft in the middle.  

4AD7D8A1-B0B2-4BE1-B4FA-3D2084F242A2.jpeg

37BE39D9-59E0-4594-9DC0-EEB1161BDE92.jpeg

• Like 9

Here's my spin on grilled cheese: grilled portobello mushroom and red pepper panini on homemade sourdough focaccia with smoked provolone, arugula, and sun-dried tomato hummus. (The "provolone" is vegan (Violife), and the sun-dried tomato hummus = a few TBL of TJ's Mediterranean white bean hummus blended with sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and smoked paprika.)

It was soooo good, but also super messy! I only got photos of half because once I picked up the other half, I couldn't put it down without it falling apart so I had to finish it, lol.

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Here's my spin on grilled cheese: roasted portobello and red pepper panini on homemade sourdough focaccia with smoked provolone, arugula, and sun-dried tomato hummus. (The "provolone" is vegan (Violife), and the sun-dried tomato hummus = a few TBL of TJ's Mediterranean white bean hummus blended with sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and smoked paprika.)

It was soooo good, but also super messy! I only got photos of half because once I picked up the other half, I couldn't put it down without it falling apart so I had to finish it, lol.

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

Nice! The Violife provolone is pretty good! That’s what I used on mine. I loved it and made the same sandwich again the next day. 

• Like 1

I have a ton of spinach, arugula and lettuce to use this week and a family full of meat eaters.

I made two different paninis (sweet and sour) with a clear winner among the fam (five votes). Pane Turino from Aldi is our preferred bread but we sometimes use rye and pumpernickel.

1) roasted chicken (Aldi), spinach, red onion, roasted tomato and artichoke, Gouda, cheddar, homemade ranch-ish spread on the inside and butter outside. I only got a pic of DHs w/jam addition b/c he’s the only one who waited for me before digging in. 😒 No leftovers. I think this one would have benefitted from pumpernickel bread and a smidge of horseradish TBH. DH said the Aldi chicken was bland.

2) smoked turkey (from last week’s bbq), arugula, tomato, Swiss, Gruyère, red onion, homemade ranch-ish spread on one side and homemade (mildly) spicy onion-habanero jam on the other, butter outside.

#2 was the hands down fave. Paired them with romaine, arugula, cotija cheese, croutons, and cranberry/walnut salad and lemony vinaigrette to taste.

35669CC2-F65C-41FE-BD17-C3513746569C.jpeg

F47337E9-38A0-4BF0-ADA7-2AB4C20B3FAB.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Here's my spin on grilled cheese: grilled portobello mushroom and red pepper panini on homemade sourdough focaccia with smoked provolone, arugula, and sun-dried tomato hummus. (The "provolone" is vegan (Violife), and the sun-dried tomato hummus = a few TBL of TJ's Mediterranean white bean hummus blended with sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and smoked paprika.)

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

I am impressed that you made your own focaccia! Since going back to work, I usually buy it from Panera. It looks tasty!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I forgot to take a picture but I made a delicious pasta with asparagus, shallots, lemon, cream, Parmesan, and prosciutto. I can't share the recipe as it's behind a paywall. It's from Milk Street and I believe it's in their new cookbook Noodles

Served with French bread and Pinot Grigio. I offered salad but this was pretty vegetable heavy and no one wanted anything else. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am the only one home tonight so I decided to try and ‘fix’ the sour sandwich. I’m in love.

I used the ingredients from my previous attempts in slightly different ways. DH and DS walked in post-movie and DS (aka, boy of few words) declared it a clear improvement. DH defiles everything I make with extra topping and sauces. SMH.

I used the same Aldi pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for the filling (1.5c) but added 1-2 tsp Greek seasoning depending on salt content, 1 Tbs Aldi tzatziki, 2Tbs diced red onion 2 tsp diced jalapeno, 3 Tbs fresh cilantro, 1 tsp fresh, chopped oregano, and 1/4 cup feta crumbles.

I spread my homemade pepper onion jam on one side and 3Tbs homemade olive tapenade mixed w/ a Tbs. of Miracle Whip (NOT MAYO) on the other (1/2 kalamata, 1/4c black,  1/4c green olives, 1/2c EVOO, 2 cloves roasted garlic and 1/4-1/2 tsp oregano). I also love a fresh slice of tomato.

I used provolone slices to protect the bread, over the spreads, then used a 50/50 mix of butter and mayo outside for toasting.

Nothing about this is health conscious but it ticked every box I was hankering for (I wanted a gyro for dinner). Half was plenty for me but it made two sandwiches. 

8F273797-CAB1-4D98-A322-EB875EA51F34.jpeg

CD7928FC-BB7C-47AA-B451-2F0B2F0BDD55.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 12

Finally got my spring rolls made. Fresh cucumbers and carrots from my indoor garden and sprouts that I grew this week. I was planning to add chives from the garden but then it started snowing and I lost my desire to go outside to pick them so opted for some green onions from the store. I also roasted asparagus but the kids saw it before I got a picture and then it was gone.

IMG_20230416_184644446.jpg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I am the only one home tonight so I decided to try and ‘fix’ the sour sandwich. I’m in love.

I used the ingredients from my previous attempts in slightly different ways. DH and DS walked in post-movie and DS (aka, boy of few words) declared it a clear improvement. DH defiles everything I make with extra topping and sauces. SMH.

I used the same Aldi pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for the filling (1.5c) but added 1-2 tsp Greek seasoning depending on salt content, 1 Tbs Aldi tzatziki, 2Tbs diced red onion 2 tsp diced jalapeno, 3 Tbs fresh cilantro, 1 tsp fresh, chopped oregano, and 1/4 cup feta crumbles.

I spread my homemade pepper onion jam on one side and 3Tbs homemade olive tapenade mixed w/ a Tbs. of Miracle Whip (NOT MAYO) on the other (1/2 kalamata, 1/4c black,  1/4c green olives, 1/2c EVOO, 2 cloves roasted garlic and 1/4-1/2 tsp oregano). I also love a fresh slice of tomato.

I used provolone slices to protect the bread, over the spreads, then used a 50/50 mix of butter and mayo outside for toasting.

Nothing about this is health conscious but it ticked every box I was hankering for (I wanted a gyro for dinner). Half was plenty for me but it made two sandwiches. 

8F273797-CAB1-4D98-A322-EB875EA51F34.jpeg

CD7928FC-BB7C-47AA-B451-2F0B2F0BDD55.jpeg

Whoa that is seriously delicious-looking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:20 PM, Corraleno said:

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7691.JPG

Also wow!

• Like 2

Spring veggies = dandelion leaves from the yard plus tiny shoots of chives from the garden with balsamic vinaigrette.  Too early for nettles here.

I do love grilled cheese but can't eat it, seeing all these pictures is just as satisfying as crunching into one!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Finally got my spring rolls made. Fresh cucumbers and carrots from my indoor garden and sprouts that I grew this week. I was planning to add chives from the garden but then it started snowing and I lost my desire to go outside to pick them so opted for some green onions from the store. I also roasted asparagus but the kids saw it before I got a picture and then it was gone.

IMG_20230416_184644446.jpg

We really need a 'wow' button!    That looks awesome!   And that is rice paper?   

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Your rice paper behaved a lot better for you than it did for me!  But I still see the cross hatching on yours so I'm thinking that perhaps I got mine too wet or for too long?  Mine was completely limp and kept folding on itself and tearing and being totally uncooperative. . . .

I used to have the worst time with rice paper until someone told me to only dip it in warm water for ten seconds or less. I’ve done that ever since, and it works much better. Also, I have found that some brands of rice paper are easier to work with than others.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You're rice paper behaved a lot better for you than it did for me!  But I still see the cross hatching on yours so I'm thinking that perhaps I got mine too wet or for too long?  Mine was completely limp and kept folding on itself and tearing and being totally uncooperative. . . .

I'm no expert on rice paper and I've certainly had my fair share of limp ones but here's what I do.  Make sure all filling ingredients are chopped and ready to go.  If including sauce, have bottle open.  Take rice paper (I find the square ones easier to get the ends tucked in than the round ones and at my store they are the same price so I always buy square when they are available), turn on faucet and quickly run rice wrap under till that side is covered, flip and repeat with other side, immediately fill and wrap and eat. If I want more than two, eat the first two before making anymore.  This is definitely not a meal I assemble for others since they would be too soggy before I finish.  I took a class once which is where I was introduced to using rice paper and they would set it in a shallow dish of water but for some reason it would always get too soft that way so I switched to just using the running water.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:02 PM, popmom said:

That's it!😤 I'm making bread today! 🤣

quoting myself here. I did make bread. And grilled cheese. My phone is ancient, and the camera doesn't work, so I don't have pics. I put smoked provolone, sauteed onions and yellow bell pepper. I made the same sandwich two different days. One with mayo and one with butter. Interesting experiment. The mayo browns faster on my cast iron. Beautiful even crispy brown yumminess. Very, very good. I did decide that I still prefer the taste of the butter overall. I'll probably alternate and experiment with different cheeses and veggies. Next time I'm definitely adding some greens. I've got Komatsuna in the garden. That will be my spring veggie. 🙂

• Like 6

I remembered to get my spring vegetables today, but it worked out better to do this now because today is Sham al-Nassim, a very old spring holiday in Egypt. It’s currently celebrated the day after Easter and is a national holiday.  It’s traditional to have fermented pickled fish, but my family is not a fan of fesikh, so I just sautéed some fish and made a tomato lemon dressing we all love.  Our spring vegetables were jutsay, or kurrat baladi, or garlic chives. They’re not really a spring vegetable in the US, but one winter when we lived in a small town in Kyrgyzstan, jutsay was the first fresh vegetable to come into season at the bazaar in the spring. After the long winter of only seeing carrots, potatoes, cabbage, radishes, and onions, I loved eating something green.  They’re pricey in the US but super cheap in the Middle East and Central Asia.

Nothing on this plate is likely to feel like spring to most people, but for us, it does.

865F7789-418E-4F8C-B084-94AD3599CEB9.jpeg

• Like 8

I had Round #2 of the sourdough Grilled Gouda paninis, deconstructed, tonight. (I’m personally still getting over a cold and only had a half tonight, but it was tasty.) Still repping the Condiment-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named for that crispy exterior. So long as dh is doing the slathering, I can ignore the truth. 

A00136E6-6ECF-4AA1-AF7F-8240E18D65DF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I made a veganized version of this NYT Meyer Lemon Pasta for dinner tonight, with roasted asparagus plus fresh basil instead of the fennel and dill in the recipe. It was OK, but I probably wouldn't make it again. I didn't mind the lemon rind, but DD really disliked it. The sauce just seemed kind of bland and the rind left a slight bitter aftertaste. 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024022-creamy-meyer-lemon-pasta

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amira said:

I remembered to get my spring vegetables today, but it worked out better to do this now because today is Sham al-Nassim, a very old spring holiday in Egypt. It’s currently celebrated the day after Easter and is a national holiday.  It’s traditional to have fermented pickled fish, but my family is not a fan of fesikh, so I just sautéed some fish and made a tomato lemon dressing we all love.  Our spring vegetables were jutsay, or kurrat baladi, or garlic chives. They’re not really a spring vegetable in the US, but one winter when we lived in a small town in Kyrgyzstan, jutsay was the first fresh vegetable to come into season at the bazaar in the spring. After the long winter of only seeing carrots, potatoes, cabbage, radishes, and onions, I loved eating something green.  They’re pricey in the US but super cheap in the Middle East and Central Asia.

Nothing on this plate is likely to feel like spring to most people, but for us, it does.

865F7789-418E-4F8C-B084-94AD3599CEB9.jpeg

Absolutely looks like spring - that green is heavenly!

• Like 1