Menu

More things I never thought I’d say before becoming a parent

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

No, you cannot set mouse traps and put them in your sister’s bed. What do you mean you already did? Are you SERIOUS?!? 

(He’s not even 8…)

I know some guys that put rat traps in the tops of their backpacks when they were on buses in eastern europe.

• Like 1

My favorite with my kids were when my twins were toddlers and were desperate to eat the lights on the Christmas tree.  They would get really close, open wide, and I'd yell, "Don't eat the Christmas lights!"  Never imagined I'd be telling anyone to do that.  I have photos of them close to the tree with their mouths wide open - so funny.  

• Haha 14

58 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My favorite with my kids were when my twins were toddlers and were desperate to eat the lights on the Christmas tree.  They would get really close, open wide, and I'd yell, "Don't eat the Christmas lights!"  Never imagined I'd be telling anyone to do that.  I have photos of them close to the tree with their mouths wide open - so funny.  

2dd used to go face first into the sandbox.  With her mouth wide open.  I'd have to grab her, wash out her mouth, wash her face - for her to do it all over again.

She smugly claims that's why she doesn't have allergies . . . . . 

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

2dd used to go face first into the sandbox.  With her mouth wide open.  I'd have to grab her, wash out her mouth, wash her face - for her to do it all over again.

She smugly claims that's why she doesn't have allergies . . . . . 

You would think she wouldn't do that again after the first mouth full of sand!  Yuck! 

I wish I'd written more of these down. The only thing I remember really vividly was something my dd said. She was about 4, and my ds was 2, and they were grabbing onto the kitchen table while standing underneath, and swinging like it was a gymnastics bar. I said, "Stop swinging on the table!" and dd boldly tells her little brother, "Don't listen to her!"

The funniest part was my dh was listening to this exchange, and quickly ran out of the house, knowing that I'd explode and lose my mind - which I did. No one was hurt, but it certainly was a memorable moment in parenting. 🤪

• Haha 5

“Your feet and your head should be facing the same direction”

I don’t know how many times I said this to my kids but walking through stores, museums, parks, you name it, and my kids are walking one way and looking another and causing calamity or near calamity. Seems such a basic concept and yet.

I was once in a gift shop of an amusement park and heard another mom announce to her brood “feet and face in same direction” and I almost kissed the woman and pronounced her my soul sister. But in the time it would have taken me to do that my kids would have knocked something over so I didn’t dare. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, alysee said:

What is with the licking and kids?? Shoes, people's bodies, clothing, tires, floors, other people's toothbrushes, carseats, tables, balls. All of these things are things I've had to tell my kids not to lick. 

Frozen turkey at the grocery store, display rack at the bookstore….

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

“Your feet and your head should be facing the same direction”

I don’t know how many times I said this to my kids but walking through stores, museums, parks, you name it, and my kids are walking one way and looking another and causing calamity or near calamity. Seems such a basic concept and yet.

I was once in a gift shop of an amusement park and heard another mom announce to her brood “feet and face in same direction” and I almost kissed the woman and pronounced her my soul sister. But in the time it would have taken me to do that my kids would have knocked something over so I didn’t dare. 

I say this too. My mom said it when we were kids. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

Middle school teacher edition: "We do NOT eat pencil erasers. Wait - you're having a contest to see who can eat the most??" 🤦‍♀️

4th grade here:

"Please  take the paper out of your mouth."

" Why? It's Friday and I'm allowed to eat paper on Fridays."

For the record, he's not allowed to eat paper any day off the week. 

• Haha 11

39 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

My personal favorite, said really late at night in an airport bathroom after multiple delays, when kid started experimenting in how close one could get to the toilet before it flushed.

"STOP TEASING THE POTTY!!!"

Hilarious 

55 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

My personal favorite, said really late at night in an airport bathroom after multiple delays, when kid started experimenting in how close one could get to the toilet before it flushed.

"STOP TEASING THE POTTY!!!"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, NorthernBeth said:

Do NOT stick your finger in the pencil sharpener... said to children at multiple grade levels, including as old as grade 5.

My brother still boasts about sticking bobby pins (after peeling off the plastic ends) in electrical sockets . . . 

10 hours ago, alysee said:

What is with the licking and kids?? Shoes, people's bodies, clothing, tires, floors, other people's toothbrushes, carseats, tables, balls. All of these things are things I've had to tell my kids not to lick. 

Twin 1 went through a stage of licking everything. 

Once while in Melbourne I went biserk in a public toilet when he started licking the  lid of sanatary desposial unit. I often wonder what people in neighbouring stalls thought was going on when I yelled stop licking. He would  wipe surfaces with his hands then Lick his hands. We had to get play therapist /psycologest help. Eventually we were able to break it by gloving up before going into a public toilet. He wouldn't lick latex gloves. 

• Like 2