Menu

Vote on my next item of furniture (quickly, I need to decide)

DawnM

I am going to get a modular type unit as it is easier to move and more versatile.

I am looking at this:

https://www.costco.com/thomasville-tisdale-fabric-sectional-with-storage-ottoman.product.4000045422.html

Vs:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/soederhamn-sectional-4-seat-with-chaise-viarp-beige-brown-s59305834/

The reviews are mixed.   The biggest complaints on the IKEA are availability (covid related supply chain) and needing to add something into the cushions when they flatten.

OR-keep looking?

10 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I much prefer the Thomasville. It looks more comfy, and I'm all about the comfort when it comes to seating. However, I don't like that there isn't an arm on the left sectional side. Maybe they have that in another configuration?

I think it is a total of 3 slipper chair type seats and two corner seats.   I agree that another armrest or corner would be nice, but it isn't necessary.   I don't plan to configure it that way anyway.

• Like 1

I would do the thomasville - I would have more confidence the stuffing would last longer.
I think my niece has two of these made into a "U", (she lives out of state, and I visited her last fall).  They were comfortable and the back support was reasonable.  (This style tends to not have back-support that lasts)

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I much prefer the Thomasville. It looks more comfy, and I'm all about the comfort when it comes to seating. However, I don't like that there isn't an arm on the left sectional side. Maybe they have that in another configuration?

When I clicked on the link there are not arms on either side of it.  I would HATE that .  

The Ikea one does not look comfortable at all.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Thomasville. Those IKEA armrests look useless in terms of actually supporting an arm comforbably.

Also, if you have a dog or kids that role things along the floor, there is less chance that they'll end up under the Thomasville sofe. It looks like it's much closer to the ground. That is, of course, unless your dog enjoys crawling under the sofa. 😉 

• Like 1

So, here is the thing......we normally get La Z Boy furniture.   It has stood up (yeah, I know they have outsourced to China but it seems to still be decent quality and comfortable) and I was trying to put something that wasn't "Grandpa Joe" looking.   But dang if I don't love La Z Boy for comfort!

3 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I’d go for the Thomasville as well. We had an IKEA sectional before and it was okay, but it was really low to the ground…I think many of their sofas are. 

Well, *I* am very low to the ground! 😂

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So, here is the thing......we normally get La Z Boy furniture.   It has stood up (yeah, I know they have outsourced to China but it seems to still be decent quality and comfortable) and I was trying to put something that wasn't "Grandpa Joe" looking.   But dang if I don't love La Z Boy for comfort!

My favorite family room furniture has always been La Z Boy. We bought a used sofa and recliner from other expats when we were overseas, and I loved it! We are now using a very similar set we were given when dh's db and dil were liquidating a house. It is looking pretty worn now, but so comfortable. I've pretty much decided that I can add my personalized touches and taste with everything else, but for the actual seating, I'm going to go with comfortable, even if it looks boring.

• Thanks 1