Menu

What do you eat with jambalaya?

saraha

2 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I wouldn’t eat anything with it. Rice and bread at the same meal would be too much starch for me. But that’s just me. 

That's what I've always thought but I always see cornbread as a recommended side.

3 hours ago, saraha said:

We eat a fake jambalaya, and it’s spicy. I totally inauthentically put sour cream on top to cut the heat. What do people really eat with it to cut the heat?

We don’t try to cut the heat! 😂

I usually serve it with a green salad and baguette (sometimes garlicky). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

It doesn’t have chicken or shrimp, just sausage. And we put sour cream on top 🙄😆 The sour cream kind of acts like a raita I think.

That is not fake. Jambalaya is a traditional Cajun dish that, like gumbo, makes use of a local grain (rice) plus whatever scraps of meat or seafood you may have leftover in your larder (which to an old Cajun could be chicken, turkey, beef, venison,  maybe pork). If I’m making it for regular supper, I just put in andouille sausage. If I’m making it for company or for a crowd, I add chicken. I add shrimp occasionally but it’s definitely not an every-time ingredient. 

If you use onion and green bell pepper and cajun spices like cayenne, with your meat and rice, and maybe tomatoes or broth…. your jambalaya is real!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

That is not fake. Jambalaya is a traditional Cajun dish that, like gumbo, makes use of a local grain (rice) plus whatever scraps of meat or seafood you may have leftover in your larder (which to an old Cajun could be chicken, turkey, beef, venison,  maybe pork). If I’m making it for regular supper, I just put in andouille sausage. If I’m making it for company or for a crowd, I add chicken. I add shrimp occasionally but it’s definitely not an every-time ingredient. 

If you use onion and green bell pepper and cajun spices like cayenne, with your meat and rice, and maybe tomatoes or broth…. your jambalaya is real!

I use sausage, onions, green peppers, celery, okra, canned tomatoes, chicken broth rice and Cajun seasoning and a bay leaf

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

The two local Cajun restaurants here serve it with a side of garlic bread. I’m not sure if that’s traditional or not. 

When we make it at home I usually serve it with corn or a salad. That’s just because I feel like my kids need more vegetables in their diet though, I’m not sure how well the foods go together. My uncle is Cajun, I should ask him how he ate it growing up. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

One time a guy my husband works with gave him alligator, so I threw that in my jambalaya. It was actually really good!

• Like 4

I've thrown a can of those small white beans in my fake jambalaya to increase the protein and fiber.  That might be a way to stretch the dish and dissipate the heat, if you make it hotter than your liking.   Cauliflower would be another option to add.  

Sour cream or unsweetened yogurt sounds really good though.  I might try that. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BandH said:

I am coming over what time is dinner?

6:30.

But we'll be having leftovers of "fusion" Irish/Jewish braised corned beef, potatoes, roasted carrots and cabbage done Askanazi-style low and slow in my non-kashered Smart Oven.

We have plenty. Bring an appetite. 

Bill

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

6:30.

But we'll be having leftovers of "fusion" Irish/Jewish braised corned beef, potatoes, roasted carrots and cabbage done Askanazi-style low and slow in my non-kashered Smart Oven.

We have plenty. Bring an appetite. 

Bill

I have my own Irish/Vegan fusion leftovers!  I want to come on jambalaya day! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BandH said:

I have my own Irish/Vegan fusion leftovers!  I want to come on jambalaya day! 

Easy enough.

I would like some input from real Cajuns (or Cajun-adjacent) folks on the best rice to use. Is it parboiled Uncle Ben's or some Louisiana-grown long grain variety (that I source where?) or something else?

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Easy enough.

I would like some input from real Cajuns (or Cajun-adjacent) folks on the best rice to use. Is it parboiled Uncle Ben's or some Louisiana-grown long grain variety (that I source where?) or something else?

Bill

Mahatma long grain white was all my mother ever bought. I’m guilty of using other varieties, even minute rice (scandalous I’m sure).

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know much about jambalaya and certainly don't know what is the correct rice. But I like reading about food!

I really just came to say, please don't call your food "fake." It is real food. If you don't feel comfortable saying the name of the food without a modifier, then say "a version" or "my adaptation" or something like that. Don't denigrate your good cooking by calling it "fake." 

(Says the person who often uses jalapenos in Indian cooking because I can't find anything else, even though I once heard Madhur Jaffrey say never to use them. (For all I know, she has changed her mind, but still.) I don't claim to be an expert on curry, but dang it, it tastes good and is not fake.) 

💗

ETA: And now I'm wondering if Bill has any Madhur Jaffrey anecdotes! If so, do share! She is a treasure!

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marbel said:

I don't know much about jambalaya and certainly don't know what is the correct rice. But I like reading about food!

I really just came to say, please don't call your food "fake." It is real food. If you don't feel comfortable saying the name of the food without a modifier, then say "a version" or "my adaptation" or something like that. Don't denigrate your good cooking by calling it "fake." 

(Says the person who often uses jalapenos in Indian cooking because I can't find anything else, even though I once heard Madhur Jaffrey say never to use them. (For all I know, she has changed her mind, but still.) I don't claim to be an expert on curry, but dang it, it tastes good and is not fake.) 

💗

ETA: And now I'm wondering if Bill has any Madhur Jaffrey anecdotes! If so, do share! She is a treasure!

What a great point, and now I’m hungry for curry. 😄

• Like 1