Menu

How long does whatever is going around last?

lovinmyboys

Ds12 has been sick for 8 days and doesn’t seem to be getting better. He isn’t dangerously sick- just congestion and a pretty bad (but productive) cough and sore throat. He is pretty miserable and I would like to tell him he should feel better in x amount of days. I am very lucky, but I don’t think any of my kids have ever been stay-in-bed sick for over a week before. 

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

In my area, people are saying about a week but some are saying they felt better and then sick again.  Hope ds feels better soon.  Has he been seen to rule out any infection?

Yes I should have mentioned I took him to the doctor on Friday and he tested positive for strep but it is pretty obvious he has something else going on too. The cough is his biggest complaint and I don’t think that is from strep. So he has now taken four days of antibiotics and I do think his throat hurts less, but otherwise no change. Maybe I should take him back in? But he isn’t getting worse so I think it just needs to run its course. 

Edited by lovinmyboys

52 minutes ago, Kassia said:

In my area, people are saying about a week but some are saying they felt better and then sick again.  Hope ds feels better soon.  Has he been seen to rule out any infection?

This had been happening around here too. I've heard several people say their kids were sick, felt better, and then sick again. All it all it has taken about 2 weeks. And, it is mostly sore throat, phlgemy cough, and drippy nose. I just got over the ick, but mine was only 2 days which is really short for me. We'll see if I get that second wave.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

This had been happening around here too. I've heard several people say their kids were sick, felt better, and then sick again. All it all it has taken about 2 weeks. And, it is mostly sore throat, phlgemy cough, and drippy nose. I just got over the ick, but mine was only 2 days which is really short for me. We'll see if I get that second wave.

I'm hearing this, too. I was thinking it was the same illness for most of them, but reading an article the other day, some of the people who have gone in to get tested both rounds are finding it's two different illnesses, back to back 🤦‍♀️. Covid/RSV, RSV/flu, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My daughter’s friend was sick for about a week. Then it came back a week later - worse. She had to go on antibiotics. 

during this second round she was sick, her younger sister got sick.  She was sick with a horrible cough/congestion for at least 2 weeks. 

then their younger brother got sick. Was in the hospital with flu complications for five days. 

so, my best guess is two weeks.   

Hope he feels better. 

I think we're dealing with this. My child is 11, their symptoms started on 12/3. Never had a fever, sore throat comes and goes, and URI symptoms. Attempted urgent care last night but they were all booked up. The best I can hope for is a diagnosis anyway, since I'm sure it's viral and they won't be able to do anything. They did have 3 negative Covid tests last week.

Perhaps with so much going around one virus goes away and then folks are getting another instead of it being reoccurring. We are also hyper aware of illness compared to before covid when everyone trucked around with sore throats coughs and upper respiratory symptoms. Not that we should have.

38 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I'm on day 15 and I feel worse today than I have the entire time.  I have a huge and important presentation at work tomorrow and I am starting to freak out.  I can mask but the coughing fits can take me completely out for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Oh, no. That's terrible! You just start to feel so worn down after 15 days of sickness. UGH!

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I tested positive for the flu & also had pneumonia. Strep & Covid tests were negative. It took me 3 full weeks to feel better -but I have underlying immune & respiratory issues. SO had the flu and it took him about 2 1/2 to quit coughing and he has a robust immune system and rarely catches anything. So this is taking longer. 

I would be concerned if they're not getting better after 8 days of strep. 

14 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

A few weeks ago, I tested positive for the flu & also had pneumonia. Strep & Covid tests were negative. It took me 3 full weeks to feel better -but I have underlying immune & respiratory issues. SO had the flu and it took him about 2 1/2 to quit coughing and he has a robust immune system and rarely catches anything. So this is taking longer. 

I would be concerned if they're not getting better after 8 days of strep. 

I am wondering if what I had was the Flu B that’s going around now, and thanks to the vaccine it just played out like a bad head cold. Still have some congestion today but not as fatigued. Still never had fever or bad body aches. 

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

I'm on day 15 and I feel worse today than I have the entire time.  I have a huge and important presentation at work tomorrow and I am starting to freak out.  I can mask but the coughing fits can take me completely out for 5-10 minutes at a time.

You really might want to rule out a bronchial infection/pneumonia if you’re still coughing that hard on day 15. If no infection, the doctor could probably write you an Rx for tessalon pearls to get you through things like presentations. Our singers used these. 

• Like 1