Menu

We need a new cat

Terabith

Okay, *I* need a new cat.  Because Obama the Cat is definitely my husband's cat, with youngest dd as his secondary person.  I am permitted to give him food and once in a blue moon scratch him, but only under the worst desperation.  

I'm not in a huge hurry, because we're cat sitting over Thanksgiving, but I've started browsing animal shelter ads.  There is no way to sort by "lap cat" or "gets along with other cats like Obama" or even "likes Terabith."  Heck, I can't even search by color.  

I did find this hilarious cat biography that sounds like a cat that would not be a good fit for our house:  

Harmony: noun. A pleasant musical sound made by different notes being played or sung at the same time.... 🚫 nope.
-or- a situation in which people are peaceful and agree with each other.... 🚫 also does not apply here.
Anyway, her name is Harmony despite neither of those definitions describing her.
Harmony is on the hunt for her special home. She's been voted "Most Awful Cat in the shelter" 3 months in a row! She's spent her fair share of time isolated for behavioral reasons. Why? Because she's just a turd. She spends her days gazing out the window in a manner I can only assume is to plot something/someone's demise.
Likes: silence, Pantera, Bates Motel, the color black, and collecting the souls of her enemies.
Dislikes: being touched, (unless she asks for pets) noise, anything in her personal space, Miley Cyrus, and stinkbugs.
If you feel up for a challenge and think you can win the heart of our Champion Most Awful Cat, please contact her s̶e̶r̶v̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ staff at
  • Like 1
  • Haha 20

1 minute ago, fraidycat said:

I love Harmony's bio. I would be that "she can't be that bad" person who would adopt her just to prove them wrong and then be surprised when she was a jerk. 😁 But, I'd still love her because I love all my little feline sassholes. 😻

Same. But heck, one of our current cats is half feral and is as likely to draw blood on me as snuggle up and purr like she's the sweetest cat on earth. Both happen regularly...you just never know which is about to happen until it does, lol. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Terabith said:

She spends her days gazing out the window in a manner I can only assume is to plot something/someone's demise 

I thought that was standard for cats . . . . 

dogs wag their tail - they're so happy to meet you

cats wag their tail - prepare to die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, Harmony is not the cat we need.  We really need a cat who is a clone of one of our summer cats, Tiger, who is this big, kinda dumb, orange lug of a cat who is completely chill and loves sitting in laps and being petted and gets along beautifully with other cats, including Obama mostly.  I'd love it if new cat and Obama actually became FRIENDS, but I'm hoping for amicable tolerance.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, Harmony is not the cat we need.  We really need a cat who is a clone of one of our summer cats, Tiger, who is this big, kinda dumb, orange lug of a cat who is completely chill and loves sitting in laps and being petted and gets along beautifully with other cats, including Obama mostly.  I'd love it if new cat and Obama actually became FRIENDS, but I'm hoping for amicable tolerance.  

Then definitely find a big orange lug of a cat. They are purrfect.

Here is Boo, he meets all your parameters. My sister has three just like him and they fit those parameters as well. It must be an orange cat thing.

ETA: We call Boo Mr. Noodle because he has ZERO self-preservation instinct. You pick him up, he turns into a wet blanket. Hang him upside down, no reaction. He is almost too chill - if there were small children he'd definitely be dropped on his head. 😹

47FBA0C7-5075-4726-BC61-DF54958D50F5.jpeg

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Speaking of orange cats.... a classic AITA thread on Reddit:

AITA for “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes” about Jorts?

THE STORY We have two workplace cats in one area of our worksite. They add value to the worksite, we all love the cats and the worksite cat presence is not the issue. One of the cats (Jean) is a tortoiseshell cat we have had for years. The other cat (Jorts) is a large orange cat and a recent addition.

Jorts is just… kind of a simple guy. For example, Jorts can’t open a door even when it’s ajar— he shoves it whether he is going in or out, so often he closes the door he is trying to go through. This means he is often trapped inside the place he was trying to exit and meows until he is rescued.

My colleague Pam (not her real name) has been spending a lot of time trying to teach Jorts things. The doors thing is the main example — it’s a real issue because the cats are fed in a closet and Jorts keeps pushing the door closed. Jean can actually open all the other interior doors since they are a lever type knob, but she can’t open this particular door if she is trapped INSIDE the closet.

Tortie Jean is very nice to poor orange Jorts, and she is kept busy letting him out of rooms he has trapped himself in, so this seems easy to resolve. I put down a door stop.

Pam then said I was depriving Jorts of the “chance to learn” and kept removing the doorstop. She set up a series of special learning activities for Jorts, and tried to put these tasks on the whiteboard of daily team tasks (I erased them). She thinks we need to teach him how to clean himself better and how to get out of minor barriers like when he gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. I love Jorts but he’s just dumb af and we can’t change that.

Don’t get me wrong— watching her try to teach Jorts how to walk through a door is hilarious, but Jean got locked in the closet twice last week. Yesterday I installed a cat cutout thing in the door and Pam started getting really huffy. I made a gentle joke about “you can’t expect Jean’s tortoiseshell smarts from orange cat Jorts” which made Pam FURIOUS. She started crying and left the hallway, then sent an email to the group (including volunteers) and went home early.

In her email Pam said I was “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes by saying orange cats are dumb” and is demanding a racial sensitivity training before she will return. I don’t think it’s relevant but just in case, Pam is a white person in a mostly minority staff (and no she is not ginger/does not have red hair).

TL;DR: AITA for ‘enforcing an ethnic stereotype’ by joking that orange cats are often dumb?

UPDATE

I just met with HR, she had already met with Pam. HR was concerned about Pam’s comparing ethnic stereotypes with giving a cat a doorstop and they addressed that which went well. HR will follow up to make sure Pam understands. (The replies to my query were helpful to me for this discussion.)

HR also addressed Pam assigning other staff Jorts-related tutoring, as it is not appropriate for Pam to assign others work. This also went well.

We both think Pam had a hard time with the transition from volunteer to staff, and may have “new kid” sensitivity projected to Jorts. Pam got emotional about her perception that I favor Jean over Jorts and gave specific examples. Some of these things are fair. Jorts deserves respect as a member of our team.

There are 3 buildings in our workplace. Jean and Jorts are limited to one. HR told me there were 5 holdouts about vaccines, and restricting unvaccinated people from entering the building (to protect Jean and Jorts) was enough to win over 4 of them. That’s CRAZY, but great.

More importantly: the cats’ presence greatly enhances our work with our clients, and Jorts’ friendly nature has been so great. Both cats truly are doing important work. Truly Jorts deserves to be treated with respect.

We all deserve to be treated with dignity at work, so I will apologize to Jorts about some things that were insensitive or disrespectful.

a. Jean has a nice cat bed with her name on it, while Jorts has chosen an old boot tray in my office with a towel in it. Recently a visitor put wet boots in the boot tray and Pam saw Jorts sleeping on the wet boots. I bought a bed for Jorts today and a name tag has been ordered.

b. I will apologize to Jorts and remove the sign saying “DAYS SINCE JORTS HAD A TRASH CAN MISHAP: 0” Jorts likes to fish dirty paper cups out and he often falls into the bin or gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. (He is able to get out of the bin by tipping it over so it isn’t a safety issue.)

c. Jean’s “staff bio” has a photo of Jean, while Jorts’ bio has a photo of a sweet potato. I did not actually know either cat had a staff bio, but we will use a photo of Jorts instead of a sweet potato.

HR also suggested changing Pam’s duties so she is “in charge” of the cats. This I refused, the cats are my staff, not Pam’s. I think Pam was well-intended but actually not meeting the needs of either Jean or Jorts so they remain under my supervision. (Pam is also not to put cups on Jorts’ head or intentionally put him into frustrating situations given his unique needs.)

Lastly, and this made us both laugh so hard we can’t deal with it in person and will be said via email: Pam admits that she has been putting margarine on Jorts in an attempt to teach him to groom himself better. This may explain the diarrhea problem Jean developed (which required a vet visit).

Pam is NOT to apply margarine to any of her coworkers. Jean has shown she is willing to be in charge of helping Jorts stay clean. If this task becomes onerous for Jean, we can have a groomer help. I am crying laughing typing this.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Haha 17

39 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Oh - yeah, get an orange cat! All orange cats are sweet as pie. Seriously. There are no mean orange cats. They are not all dumb - mine was super smart actually (the grey fat one on the other hand...sigh), but they are all sweet and cuddly. 

I've often said I don't know why they even MAKE other kinds of cats 🙂

• Like 8

Just now, Terabith said:

So, would it be tacky to call up the shelter and say, "I'm looking for an orange tabby, who is ideally 7-9 years old, who is a lap cat and gets along well with pretty much all other cats and is super chill?  And that likes me?"

Not if you have a rescue near you. Most are super happy to have people wanting to adopt older cats. An animal control type shelter is less likely to know the cats. We have several rescues where we can go into rooms and visit with cats. You could do that and find one that likes Terabith 😂😻 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KSera said:

Not if you have a rescue near you. Most are super happy to have people wanting to adopt older cats. An animal control type shelter is less likely to know the cats. We have several rescues where we can go into rooms and visit with cats. You could do that and find one that likes Terabith 😂😻 

The shelter we got our first cats from in Colorado had that.  It was wonderful.  The main shelter in our town doesn't have the cats loose in rooms; they're all in cages.  But there's one 30 minutes away or so that I'm thinking of using that has the cats in different rooms hanging out, and people can visit with them.  

• Like 2

Just now, Terabith said:

The shelter we got our first cats from in Colorado had that.  It was wonderful.  The main shelter in our town doesn't have the cats loose in rooms; they're all in cages.  But there's one 30 minutes away or so that I'm thinking of using that has the cats in different rooms hanging out, and people can visit with them.  

That’s funny you say you used to live in Colorado, because I’m currently browsing pet finder for you and I couldn’t remember where you live so I chose Colorado as a starting point. I’m looking in the whole country though and there are about 2000 orange adult and senior kitties who like other cats currently available. I’m invested in this search now 😂. Here’s one named after Quill lol:

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/quill-52592114/wy/cheyenne/yola-and-boogy-fund-wy80/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Do you have cat cafes anywhere in range?  We have a couple locally now and they are the perfect place to try like 15-20 cats in an hour.  And they're all at least other cat tolerant to be in there at all and they are mostly adult cats.  Not to mention, cutest thing ever!  It would be odd if there weren't a few doofus orangies in there at any given time.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Terabith said:

So, would it be tacky to call up the shelter and say, "I'm looking for an orange tabby, who is ideally 7-9 years old, who is a lap cat and gets along well with pretty much all other cats and is super chill?  And that likes me?"

I would. There’s a good chance that exact cat is there. Ones that age usually get passed over, as I’m sure you know. 

Also, if you check local cat adoption agencies as opposed to the shelter, the fosters will be able to give good descriptions of their personalities as they actually live with the cats. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

They WANT people to tell them what they are looking for! That makes their job easier. (I've fostered pets for rescues, trust me, they more info you give them, the better)

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I have found your cat:

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/pumpkin-57663982/nc/blanch/vintage-racers-for-rescues-nc1085/

Isn't he purrrfect!  It says "Lap cat" right there in the first line.   

Aww, my orange boy cat was named Pumpkin too. He loved his people. My vet said that all male orange cats are sweethearts. 🧡

• Like 3

@Corraleno that was hilarious. I will have to show my husband.

@Terabith I didn't click on any of the links... but consider a black cat. Our black cat is like a dog. Well, maybe a chihuahua lol--a one person cat. He is my husband's son. He plays fetch. And he "flops" on my husband's lap regularly which means my husband is not available for anything for the duration of the "flop". He'll say...well I was going to work in the yard, but Boo flopped on me. Oh, well. 😉 He's a sweety. My orange son is VERY loving though-- loving to pretty much anyone who will allow it. He snuggles up on my chest when I'm in bed trying to read. I usually give up in favor of orange tabby snuggles. Our third cat is a "torby"??? She's fluffy and beautiful with gorgeous green eyes. She's sweet on her terms. Receives pets on her terms only. 🙂 

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Oh - yeah, get an orange cat! All orange cats are sweet as pie. Seriously. There are no mean orange cats. They are not all dumb - mine was super smart actually (the grey fat one on the other hand...sigh), but they are all sweet and cuddly. 

I've often said I don't know why they even MAKE other kinds of cats 🙂

Hmmmm... I grew up with a ginger tom named Timmy. He was never affectionate to us and fought all the cats in the neighbourhood. He finally left home and moved in with our neighbour, so maybe he just didn't like us.

Oh, I am open to cats of any color.  Cat that likes me and gets along with Obama and is cuddly are main goals.  But we’ve also had several black cats, and they’ve all wound up as my dh’s cats.  And I haven’t had an orange cat since my beloved Fluffy who died when I was six, and I really like that variety.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Then definitely find a big orange lug of a cat. They are purrfect.

Here is Boo, he meets all your parameters. My sister has three just like him and they fit those parameters as well. It must be an orange cat thing.

ETA: We call Boo Mr. Noodle because he has ZERO self-preservation instinct. You pick him up, he turns into a wet blanket. Hang him upside down, no reaction. He is almost too chill - if there were small children he'd definitely be dropped on his head. 😹

47FBA0C7-5075-4726-BC61-DF54958D50F5.jpeg

Sounds like he has some ragdoll in him. 

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Sounds like he has some ragdoll in him. 

I don't think he does. He's way more chill than my brother's actual ragdoll cat. He's just a barn cat who got scooped up as a kitten and brought into the house with his sister Peeka (other cat in the photo). She has a few more self-preservation instincts and will "hold on" or try to reorient herself upright when she is held.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

My step dad’s late wife went to the shelter and picked out the ugliest cat there.  She said she knew no one else would ever adopt him because he was so ugly.  He was a love bug for sure.  He out lived her…….after my mom married my step dad my mom was the one who had to take the 20 year old cat to be put to sleep…..my step dad just couldn’t do it.  

• Like 1

We have cats to spare that you are more than welcome to. LOL Honestly though, we are looking for a home for the newest stray that has showed up. We've tried finding his family with no luck, so for the time being we are caring for him. Sweet as he can be. Loves to be petted and he wants in our house desperately. His flaw is he doesn't like other cats so there's no way we could take him. We already have one of those and two would be two too many.  Good luck on your search but be careful because cats lie. Ours that doesn't like other cats acted like the sweetest kitty on earth at the shelter. Climbed in our laps, cuddled, enjoyed being picked up. That is NOT the cat that came home with us. Either that sweet kitty has an evil twin or that kitty lied. Lied, lied, lied.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Terabith said:

That describes Scooter, except that he’s white and grey tabby instead of orange. 

We’re actually considering taking him to the shelter to see if he hits it off with anyone there. He misses his best buddy, and literally cries when the neighborhood cats are outdoors because he wants to play with them. Mamba and Anery aren’t the buddy he needs.

Scooter spent a lot of time with my dad when he was dealing with the concussion after the accident. I truly think he would have been a perfect cat for a nursing home or similar community.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

They WANT people to tell them what they are looking for! That makes their job easier. (I've fostered pets for rescues, trust me, they more info you give them, the better)

When Scooter had only kitten syndrome, the shelter actually let us bring him in and brought us kittens to meet him in a room to see who would get along. We ended up with Rascal, who was half his size (though only a couple of weeks younger). They were inseparable until Rascal died suddenly due to a heart valve failure, far too young.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Speaking of orange cats.... a classic AITA thread on Reddit:

AITA for “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes” about Jorts?

THE STORY We have two workplace cats in one area of our worksite. They add value to the worksite, we all love the cats and the worksite cat presence is not the issue. One of the cats (Jean) is a tortoiseshell cat we have had for years. The other cat (Jorts) is a large orange cat and a recent addition.

Jorts is just… kind of a simple guy. For example, Jorts can’t open a door even when it’s ajar— he shoves it whether he is going in or out, so often he closes the door he is trying to go through. This means he is often trapped inside the place he was trying to exit and meows until he is rescued.

My colleague Pam (not her real name) has been spending a lot of time trying to teach Jorts things. The doors thing is the main example — it’s a real issue because the cats are fed in a closet and Jorts keeps pushing the door closed. Jean can actually open all the other interior doors since they are a lever type knob, but she can’t open this particular door if she is trapped INSIDE the closet.

Tortie Jean is very nice to poor orange Jorts, and she is kept busy letting him out of rooms he has trapped himself in, so this seems easy to resolve. I put down a door stop.

Pam then said I was depriving Jorts of the “chance to learn” and kept removing the doorstop. She set up a series of special learning activities for Jorts, and tried to put these tasks on the whiteboard of daily team tasks (I erased them). She thinks we need to teach him how to clean himself better and how to get out of minor barriers like when he gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. I love Jorts but he’s just dumb af and we can’t change that.

Don’t get me wrong— watching her try to teach Jorts how to walk through a door is hilarious, but Jean got locked in the closet twice last week. Yesterday I installed a cat cutout thing in the door and Pam started getting really huffy. I made a gentle joke about “you can’t expect Jean’s tortoiseshell smarts from orange cat Jorts” which made Pam FURIOUS. She started crying and left the hallway, then sent an email to the group (including volunteers) and went home early.

In her email Pam said I was “perpetuating ethnic stereotypes by saying orange cats are dumb” and is demanding a racial sensitivity training before she will return. I don’t think it’s relevant but just in case, Pam is a white person in a mostly minority staff (and no she is not ginger/does not have red hair).

TL;DR: AITA for ‘enforcing an ethnic stereotype’ by joking that orange cats are often dumb?

UPDATE

I just met with HR, she had already met with Pam. HR was concerned about Pam’s comparing ethnic stereotypes with giving a cat a doorstop and they addressed that which went well. HR will follow up to make sure Pam understands. (The replies to my query were helpful to me for this discussion.)

HR also addressed Pam assigning other staff Jorts-related tutoring, as it is not appropriate for Pam to assign others work. This also went well.

We both think Pam had a hard time with the transition from volunteer to staff, and may have “new kid” sensitivity projected to Jorts. Pam got emotional about her perception that I favor Jean over Jorts and gave specific examples. Some of these things are fair. Jorts deserves respect as a member of our team.

There are 3 buildings in our workplace. Jean and Jorts are limited to one. HR told me there were 5 holdouts about vaccines, and restricting unvaccinated people from entering the building (to protect Jean and Jorts) was enough to win over 4 of them. That’s CRAZY, but great.

More importantly: the cats’ presence greatly enhances our work with our clients, and Jorts’ friendly nature has been so great. Both cats truly are doing important work. Truly Jorts deserves to be treated with respect.

We all deserve to be treated with dignity at work, so I will apologize to Jorts about some things that were insensitive or disrespectful.

a. Jean has a nice cat bed with her name on it, while Jorts has chosen an old boot tray in my office with a towel in it. Recently a visitor put wet boots in the boot tray and Pam saw Jorts sleeping on the wet boots. I bought a bed for Jorts today and a name tag has been ordered.

b. I will apologize to Jorts and remove the sign saying “DAYS SINCE JORTS HAD A TRASH CAN MISHAP: 0” Jorts likes to fish dirty paper cups out and he often falls into the bin or gets a cup stuck on his head, etc. (He is able to get out of the bin by tipping it over so it isn’t a safety issue.)

c. Jean’s “staff bio” has a photo of Jean, while Jorts’ bio has a photo of a sweet potato. I did not actually know either cat had a staff bio, but we will use a photo of Jorts instead of a sweet potato.

HR also suggested changing Pam’s duties so she is “in charge” of the cats. This I refused, the cats are my staff, not Pam’s. I think Pam was well-intended but actually not meeting the needs of either Jean or Jorts so they remain under my supervision. (Pam is also not to put cups on Jorts’ head or intentionally put him into frustrating situations given his unique needs.)

Lastly, and this made us both laugh so hard we can’t deal with it in person and will be said via email: Pam admits that she has been putting margarine on Jorts in an attempt to teach him to groom himself better. This may explain the diarrhea problem Jean developed (which required a vet visit).

Pam is NOT to apply margarine to any of her coworkers. Jean has shown she is willing to be in charge of helping Jorts stay clean. If this task becomes onerous for Jean, we can have a groomer help. I am crying laughing typing this.

Jorts (and Jean) have an awesome Twitter account. Jorts is very pro labor, so it’s kind of a neat mix of labor relations stuff-and pics of an adorable Orange cat 🙂

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

That describes Scooter, except that he’s white and grey tabby instead of orange. 

We’re actually considering taking him to the shelter to see if he hits it off with anyone there. He misses his best buddy, and literally cries when the neighborhood cats are outdoors because he wants to play with them. Mamba and Anery aren’t the buddy he needs.

Scooter spent a lot of time with my dad when he was dealing with the concussion after the accident. I truly think he would have been a perfect cat for a nursing home or similar community.

I would absolutely go back to the shelter to see if he can find a new buddy.  Poor Scooter!  He needs a friend.