Menu

Lunchboxes for teens in public high school?

SKL

This year the school isn't going to give free lunches, and my kids would probably like more flexibility in what they eat.  Also they may or may not even have an actual lunch period.

For a while, I've been thinking about buying some sort of Bento type lunchboxes for them.  When they were little, I bought them plastic sandwich boxes, but the designs are kind of babyish.  Kid1 still happily uses them at work, but high school is a different world, right?

Any suggestions for age-appropriate, re-usable, easy to clean, affordable lunch containers?

Arctic Zone® Lunch Bags & Lunch Kits With Ice Packs & Containers

we have Arctic Zone ones that came with the containers and 2 ice packs.  We got them from Costco.  All my kids use them everyday and they got them about 4 years ago.  

They went with a different style this year, but they are on sale.

Titan 2-Pack Expandable Lunch Box | Costco

Edited by mommyoffive

There is store on Amazon - “ Fit and Fresh” that sells some cute bags. It’s not just on Amazon. My dd has one that we picked up in Target years ago that has that brand I think. Not sure if it is what cool kids carry but it is functional and what my 9th grader starting school is carrying.

I was actually going to post my own similar post. The lunch tote my dd has from a few years ago is a salad kit. It has a big container for lettuce that fits an ice pack on top of it and then smaller containers that she puts the toppings and dressing in on top of the ice pack. So the ice pack is in the middle between the lettuce and the toppings. Then it all fits in the insulated bag perfectly. I want to get her another one but haven’t been able to find one. She is super particular about her toppings being nice and cold so she likes the way the ice pack works in this one (sometimes it fits on the bottom beneath the lettuce and she doesn’t like that). 

Her preferred packed lunch is a salad so if anyone had a perfect lunch tote for packing a salad with all the toppings separate (and nice and cold) I’d love to hear about that. 

Edited by teachermom2834

It's their second year at the high school, so just ask them what they want. And maybe don't buy too soon, not before they have their schedule, bc they may or may not be able to get to their locker at lunchtime (and may or may not want to carry something around the whole time otherwise). 

I got a Bentgo lunch box for my kids. They have a little kids (a lot of little compartments), big kids/teens (3 compartments) and adult (stacked compartments). My friend really liked it because the whole thing can go into the dishwasher. I would put an asterisks next to put into the dishwasher because to me it goes in there kind of awkwardly so I don't totally like it in my dishwasher.

I also have the Artic one. The Artic is nice because it has all these pieces and boxes that I can mix and match depending on what I bring. The Bentgo is nice because it's just two pieces, so less things to keep track of. 

I use IKEA lunch boxes for work. I've had them for years and they are easy to dishwash. I'd show your girls some options and have them choose.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-insert-for-food-container-set-of-3-60500896/

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-food-container-with-lid-rectangular-plastic-s19269079/

Edited by Laura Corin

My kids never wanted anything other than a typical insulated lunch box with baggies or containers with typical items like sandwiches.    

I got the planet lunch boxes and thought it was so cool, but they didn't like it and just wanted plain and boring.   I just got them from Target, $10 or so.   

My 4 year old will most likely qualify for free lunch (medicaid until 18 due to having been a foster child) so we will see if I ever pack a lunch for a kid again! 😃

My oldest used a Laptop Lunchbox.  It was sleek, about 3in deep, and had configurable compartments.  It was about the size of his school books, too, so it fit right in his backpack.

DS12 wanted his own style of lunchbox so he picked out a basic grey/black insulated tote at BJ's.  It has 3 containers (one big, one medium, one small) with easy click lids.  He's my one who is more likely to be bringing rice or couscous dishes with him so the configuration will work better for him than the Laptop Lunchbox. Not as sleek, it's about 5in thick, but he also eats a lot of things like yogurt and will prefer tossing the container right in the box instead of spooning it into a shorter container to make it fit.

• Like 1

My daughter has bought herself a bento container but is still looking for a lunchbox she likes to go with it. 

She would not be happy if I just picked one out for her. She has a certain thing she's looking for that she can't put in words. Anyway, she's buying it with her money so whatever.

• Like 1

My Ds is new to PS and is a 9th grader, so this may change!

He dislikes the large size of most lunchboxes with cooler packs, so usually chooses food that does not need to be cold. He has a basic black, igloo, not-very-insulated lunchbox. His schedule has lunch at 10:00 and then classes until 2:30 or 3, followed by a 3-hour sports practice, so he will need to eat in the early afternoon as well as at lunch. No study halls. If he decides to get a new lunchbox, I will post it. 

He has money in his account for school lunch, but he has planned to take lunch this first week so that he's not stuck with bad food for looong days. He will observe the food choices and quality, and make decisions on buying/taking lunch later, when he is more settled in. 

In the large public school where I work, many girls carry their lunches in the Lululemon shopping bags they got when they bought their leggings. So they have the backpack and the lunch bag they carry around all day. And their jackets if it's cold. (They do not use lockers either...)  I'm not sure what they have packed inside it (bento type boxes, thermos, baggie with sandwich?)

I've never understood the appeal of bento style. Just more nooks and crannies to wash and dry. But, environmentally better than ziplocks. I may be thinking more of an insert than an actual lunch box? 

My kids use soft structured lunch bags. I know one year ds' bag had a long strap and a handle. We own several pyrex bowls w/ lids and a LL Bean stainless steel food container. We also use sandwich bags, too. The pyrex can go in a microwave (they just remove the lid). I've packed cold pasta salad, warm spaghetti O's, and fresh fruit in the stainless steel container. I like this particular one because the handle on top to open makes it easier than the standard Funtainer lids. 

Edited by heartlikealion
LL Bean not Land's End