Menu

JAWM I am so tired of MLMs

Emba

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Make up, essential oils, those ugly LuLaRoe clothes (there are tons of them, new with tags, at the local thrifts), the pink drink people (who kept insisting I should stop taking my thyroid meds and drink their stupid drink instead. NO. I will die without my meds), the weight loss pills, shakes, patches, CBD oil...

yes, I have hashimoto’s and ds has crohns and it is so irritating when people tell me that their product can cure it. No, no it won’t. I know because I tried so many things when I was first diagnosed and even more for ds. Diets and supplements and I even went to naturopathic doctors who had all sorts of ideas. None of them worked. Not an MLM but one person suggested a chiropractor who we were supposed to see daily for months ($$$$) so he could put these strong magnets on Ds’s stomach. I’m pretty crunchy and I try to avoid pharmaceutical companies where possible and I know there is a place for natural things that help but so many things are snake oil. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

yes, I have hashimoto’s and ds has crohns and it is so irritating when people tell me that their product can cure it. No, no it won’t. I know because I tried so many things when I was first diagnosed and even more for ds. Diets and supplements and I even went to naturopathic doctors who had all sorts of ideas. None of them worked. Not an MLM but one person suggested a chiropractor who we were supposed to see daily for months ($$$$) so he could put these strong magnets on Ds’s stomach. I’m pretty crunchy and I try to avoid pharmaceutical companies where possible and I know there is a place for natural things that help but so many things are snake oil. 

I have hashimotos, too. For awhile, everyone had a new, miracle "cure" for me to try, and it would only cost....Oh yeah? Your nasty pink drink is going to regrow my thyroid? Do tell! 

I am not opposed to CBD oil entirely.  I took it briefly for anxiety and it definitely helped. But it's not the answer for everything, and I am definitely not giving it to my kid just because they are boisterous and don't want to do schoolwork. That's bananas.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

And the vast majority of sales pitches from MLM dupes come from fellow church goers in my world. They've exploited spiritual church family relationships for personal financial gain.  We have too many spinless and or clueless pastors in evangelicalism (where I've experienced this regularly) who can't stand up to this corrupting influence in The Church.

BIL’s pastors strongly encourage MLMs. They belong to an evangelical church.

2 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

And let's talk about the amazingly damaging comments to seriously ill people by some MLMers. My SIL had cancer for 11 years before she died.  Unfortunately she worked for an evangelical mega church which has hoards of MLM dupes in attendance.  If she made a prayer request related to her cancer she'd get some bubble headed MLMer saying things like, "I heard about your cancer and I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't tell you about (fill in name of MLM snake oil product here)." No, hon, your product can't do anything at all for her cancer.  If it did the maker of that product would be selling it worldwide raking in billions of dollars and getting credit for being the one to cure freaking cancer. 

1 hour ago, Anne said:

I have a friend who has Crohn’s.  She has been continually accosted by pink drink salespeople “friends” who are sure that taking the pink drink will cure her disease.  No.  Just No.

36 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I was just gonna say that when ds was diagnosed with crohns, I was overloaded. This drink or that shake or Some liquid vitamin supplement that cured it all. So many things that people wanted us to try that conveniently was an MLM. 

BIL opposed his dad’s prostrate cancer treatment saying that taking the supplements his wife sells would be good enough. It is so good to be in another country from them. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

Exactly this.  If you're target market is friends and family at first or at all, you're a victim of a scam and you're participating in a scam.  Legitimate business owners don't have friends and family as their target markets at any point. Not only do MLM sales people exploit family and friend relationships for their own personal financial gain, they insult legitimate business owners by trying to label themselves as such.  

The bolded nails it.  Specifically, they exploit women's social relationships.  That's it in a nutshell, really.  Abuse of female social networks for financial gain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

And then there are true cultist MLMers (usually online) who present that nonsensical idea with the phrase, "What doctors don't want you to know about (fill in name of MLM snake oil product here)." There is NOT a conspiracy among doctors to keep patients sick when the could be cured for financial gain.  That's malicious slander and bearing false witness against people and it's evil. Stop doing it. 

I think a lot of this kind of thinking is what led people to say stupid things about doctors/hospitals falsifying medical information/death certificates so that they would make money off of Covid. 

I truly think that some products can sometimes be a nutritional push that augments solid medical care, and I think that sometimes people who have fringe medical issues (subclinical or some kind of autoimmune thing that medicine is really struggling to address) can benefit from alternative treatments vs. not doing those treatments, but medical problem A is not medical problem B, C, or D. They aren't all the same or cured/improved the same way. 

• Like 5

I know Lu La Roe is/was a scam, and I'm sorry for people who get caught up in it. But seriously, I've never found any other leggings I like as well when it comes to comfort and softness. If anyone has any others that are equal or better, I'd love to hear about them!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catwoman said:

If I’m remembering correctly, you’ve been with Amway for years, and it has been a very positive thing for you, right?

I think we have to be careful not to paint all MLM companies and representatives with the same broad brush. Some people really enjoy them. Assuming the company is reputable, I think the individual representative’s personality plays a big part in how they do in that type of business. I’ll bet a lot of those super-pushy salespeople who harass their friends and relatives to buy things from them, would be just as obnoxious if they were in a different business or promoting a different product. 

Yes. And well said.

ATM I am not, in fact, an IBO, but I am still a customer, because the products are great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I think a lot of this kind of thinking is what led people to say stupid things about doctors/hospitals falsifying medical information/death certificates so that they would make money off of Covid. 

I truly think that some products can sometimes be a nutritional push that augments solid medical care, and I think that sometimes people who have fringe medical issues (subclinical or some kind of autoimmune thing that medicine is really struggling to address) can benefit from alternative treatments vs. not doing those treatments, but medical problem A is not medical problem B, C, or D. They aren't all the same or cured/improved the same way. 

I have a number of autoimmune things.  I don't need any weird expensive juices.  Nor essential oils or magnets or ???  I really hate when someone tries to get me to buy something like this.  I do take medications that help me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

I know Lu La Roe is/was a scam, and I'm sorry for people who get caught up in it. But seriously, I've never found any other leggings I like as well when it comes to comfort and softness. If anyone has any others that are equal or better, I'd love to hear about them!

I agree. I have two pairs that have a not too obnoxious pattern and I really like how they feel. I pet them sometimes because they are so soft! They still do scream Lu La Roe enough that people ask me if that's what they are though, so I wish they were solid color.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

know Lu La Roe is/was a scam, and I'm sorry for people who get caught up in it. But seriously, I've never found any other leggings I like as well when it comes to comfort and softness. If anyone has any others that are equal or better, I'd love to hear about them!

The material they use is called "brushed cotton". Just look for leggings using that material. You may also enjoy cashmere leggings.

• Like 2

I'm blaming all of you if the "pink drink" starts showing up all over the place in my social feeds. I have no idea what it is, have not seen it - or have not paid attention if I have seen it. But now that so many of you mentioned it, it is sure to start popping up in my world now. 🤬😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

30 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I'm blaming all of you if the "pink drink" starts showing up all over the place in my social feeds. I have no idea what it is, have not seen it - or have not paid attention if I have seen it. But now that so many of you mentioned it, it is sure to start popping up in my world now. 🤬😂

I had to google pink drink just to confirm it is not what my BIL’s wife is selling 🤣 Anyway, it is the one by Plexus. It contains silicon dioxide which my friend’s husband is allergic to.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Emba said:

Will it hurt her feelings if you ask to be taken off the workshop list? If you never go anyway seems like asked at least understand and then you wouldn’t have to “hear” that particular tone.

Yes, that seems like the obvious thing to do but I just can't, it feels too rude.  Complaining about it on the internet, though 🙂

• Like 2

I agree with all the naysayers. Watch LuLaRich. That exemplifies everything wrong with MLM. Not every single MLM operates on a structure so exploitative and unethical, but MOST certainly do. 

When I was diagnosed with cancer, I did have a “friend” suddenly come out of the woodwork about how her products would heal me. I avoided her. I trust my brilliant *medical* team - the ones who went to nationally/internationally renowned medical colleges and passed multiple difficult tests for their “piece of paper” - more than I trust a “health coach” who read some links on the internet. 

When I was a tiny baby adult, I sold Tupperware. The starter kit was on sale, around $300, with a higher value of products and you had to meet an easy threshold; something like nine parties. 

It wasn’t terrible and I did it for a few months but I definitely noticed that the recruitment rhetoric was mostly a pack of lies. They were always telling women this was a way to “stay at home” while running “your own business”. However, company policy did not allow “book parties”; they had to be in person and you had to continue to supply two candidates per party who would host. Those who were really succeeding with it were NOT “at home”! They were *constantly* shaking the money tree - calling people to get them excited to host a party; bugging their friends to buy/host/sell; going to the pep rallies every week…

I did quit after a few months. I don’t regret it, because I learned something important early in adulthood and, fortunately, Tupperware’s structure (at least at the time) was moderate enough that I didn’t sink much money into stock. There was definitely “encouragement” to keep buying the new release products, so you could always be demonstrating the newest things, but I kept careful tabs on what I actually made money-wise over product “investment” and I could see you could really get stupid if you weren’t tracking. 

Seriously - watch LuLaRich. It encapsulates the worst practices of MLM. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Yes, that seems like the obvious thing to do but I just can't, it feels too rude.

Your feelings are lying to you.  Whoever sent you that message (parent, subculture, etc.) lied to you.  You don't have to believe lies and you don't have live according to lies. This is a nationwide problem because of the lies people like you have been told, believe, and/or act on. You can break the cycle by being honest.  "Please remove me from this list as I'm not interested in this product/service/event.  Thank you."

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, cintinative said:

The other thing watching LuluRich convinced me of is that there are other structures out there that are very MLM-like, including a certain "homeschool" organization. 

I feel like this was one of the good things from the pandemic. I almost joined one but the pandemic happened and they never contacted me again after the initial introduction. Then I looked up more stuff on my own and it wasn't really something I wanted to be a part of. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I have a friend from my early teaching days who I thought was trying to reconnect, but now she wants to sell me stuff......

I just flat out ask people who reach out to me if they are only interested in contacting me because of an MLM because it has happened so many times. And still people will feign dumb, say no, and within a week of talking bring up their MLM. When I say I'm not interested, never hear from them again.

• Sad 7

On 7/30/2022 at 5:46 PM, cintinative said:

The other thing watching LuluRich convinced me of is that there are other structures out there that are very MLM-like, including a certain "homeschool" organization. 

I'm curious which is this?  If you're unwilling to say, no problem.  I have no other social media besides this forum and I'm nosy!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eos said:

I'm curious which is this?  If you're unwilling to say, no problem.  I have no other social media besides this forum and I'm nosy!

Not the original poster, but I've seen articles about Classical Conversations having that structure. 

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I just flat out ask people who reach out to me if they are only interested in contacting me because of an MLM because it has happened so many times. And still people will feign dumb, say no, and within a week of talking bring up their MLM. When I say I'm not interested, never hear from them again.

I just didn't think she would ever be this way!    And she says she is leaving teaching now because this MLM will bring in the same income.   First of all, she is RETIRING, not quitting, her wording is misleading (at best) and flat out lying (more likely.)

Second of all, I think what she MEANS is that her retirement income (which is 80% of her salary for life AND all benefits), coupled with the MLM, will potentially bring in the income she had as as a teacher.

But I am not asking specifics because she won't tell me the truth anyway, and I don't want to engage her in any more conversation about the MLM.

• Like 3

These MLM models don't seem to be a thing in my bubble but there was a period about 15 years ago when this was going around mothers of young kids locally.  I got tricked into chatting with people I thought might be friends only to find out they were only trying to recruit me.  I did attend a handful of parties to be polite.  It turned out that the friends hosting these parties were also trying to "be polite" so we make a pact amongst us all to no longer host them.  That as the end of that.  This was unfortunately after an incident involving wine, a sassy friend with too many scientific questions, and an Arbonne consultant crying in the bathroom.  

In my younger years, we got "Amway-ed" a few times.  I should have known better from witnessing my parents fend off the same ploys, but sure enough, partway through college, a good friend of mine wanted to talk to me about an "exciting new business opportunity."  Speaking of gullible!  Here is am, showing up to her house because I am happy for her only to fall right into the trap.  It took a full 20 minutes of vague but very exciting talk about how rich they were getting when I put it all together.  I just blurted out, "Am I being Amway-ed?!?!"  She was super offended and I felt really bad.  We didn't speak for awhile, until she quit after losing a bunch of money and we made up.  It happened THREE more times after that, with people I assumed would know better. But I smelled the pitch before committing to "getting together for coffee" and called them out.  One of those latter three found me on FB a few years ago and reached out with questions about my family and life.  My hackles were up and sure enough, after a couple of exchanges, she wanted to tell me about her newest "business opportunity."  I admit, I was mad.  I haven't heard from her in 20+ years!  How far into the barrel are you scraping to kick up a person you have not bothered to engage with for over two decades that already thwarted one of your MLM recruitment attempts?

That said, I have some Pampered Chef and Tupperware you will have to pry out of my dead cold hands.  All of which was either gifted, picked up secondhand, or purchased from someone's catalog party after they promised to never ever pitch to me or share my contact info.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

These MLM models don't seem to be a thing in my bubble but there was a period about 15 years ago when this was going around mothers of young kids locally.  I got tricked into chatting with people I thought might be friends only to find out they were only trying to recruit me.  I did attend a handful of parties to be polite.  It turned out that the friends hosting these parties were also trying to "be polite" so we make a pact amongst us all to no longer host them.  That as the end of that.  This was unfortunately after an incident involving wine, a sassy friend with too many scientific questions, and an Arbonne consultant crying in the bathroom.  

In my younger years, we got "Amway-ed" a few times.  I should have known better from witnessing my parents fend off the same ploys, but sure enough, partway through college, a good friend of mine wanted to talk to me about an "exciting new business opportunity."  Speaking of gullible!  Here is am, showing up to her house because I am happy for her only to fall right into the trap.  It took a full 20 minutes of vague but very exciting talk about how rich they were getting when I put it all together.  I just blurted out, "Am I being Amway-ed?!?!"  She was super offended and I felt really bad.  We didn't speak for awhile, until she quit after losing a bunch of money and we made up.  It happened THREE more times after that, with people I assumed would know better. But I smelled the pitch before committing to "getting together for coffee" and called them out.  One of those latter three found me on FB a few years ago and reached out with questions about my family and life.  My hackles were up and sure enough, after a couple of exchanges, she wanted to tell me about her newest "business opportunity."  I admit, I was mad.  I haven't heard from her in 20+ years!  How far into the barrel are you scraping to kick up a person you have not bothered to engage with for over two decades that already thwarted one of your MLM recruitment attempts?

That said, I have some Pampered Chef and Tupperware you will have to pry out of my dead cold hands.  All of which was either gifted, picked up secondhand, or purchased from someone's catalog party after they promised to never ever pitch to me or share my contact info.  

I bought all kinds of things at parties before I knew better. I was in my 20s and bought pampered chef, Tupperware, Arbonne, even Slumber Parties. The parties were fun and the products were good. I didn’t see the harm. Now I won’t go/buy no matter how much I like the parties. I feel it supports the users at the expense of vulnerable people and I can’t do it anymore. It’s a know better/do better thing. 

I have a friend who got out of Amway over 20 years ago only to get sucked into ACN now. She’s convinced she’s a business woman but her day job is teaching and she spends a lot of money attending ACN conventions. I don’t see her ever getting out of it what she put in. 

• Like 1

I hosted my first Tupperware party when I was about 21yo. I've been to Jafra, Shaklee, and Longeberger parties. (Jafra was the only product that my skin has reacted to. IDK if Jafra is still around.). I don't mind if people want to sell me their product or service; I have no problem saying "no," but I also don't mind helping friends a little with their businesses. After all, I can either buy Proctor & Gamble in the grocer store, or I can buy [insert product name] from a friend. NBD.