Menu

Favourite vegan desert recipe using only things found in a well stocked pantry

Help needed. Ds 28 just messaged me that he is bringing his Spanish/Chinese serious girlfriend to formally met us tomorrow . She is vegan and lactose intolerant. I am unable to go shopping today, but have a very well stocked pantry. What can I make. Everything I cook or make has butter or eggs.  

He is pretty serious about this girl. He is going to Spain in a few weeks to formally met her parents. 

Thank you 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Help needed. Ds 28 just messaged me that he is bringing his Spanish/Chinese serious girlfriend to formally met us tomorrow . She is vegan and lactose intolerant. I am unable to go shopping today, but have a very well stocked pantry. What can I make. Everything I cook or make has butter or eggs.  

He is pretty serious about this girl. He is going to Spain in a few weeks to formally met her parents. 

Thank you 

ooh exciting 😊. I hope it goes well. 

I’m having a hard time thinking of something that doesn’t have vegan butter. You don’t have that right? Do you have coconut oil? 

• Thanks 1

I was thinking a fruit crisp or galette. I made a berry galette tonight actually. It did have butter in it, but I think any non-butter pie crust would work. Fruit crisps have always been one of my go-to recipes because they are so adaptable. Oh. Have you ever had chocolate pudding cake? I don’t know that I have a recipe on hand for it, but it is sort of a cake batter, then you pour over a hot water/cocoa/sugar mixture over it. The cake portion rises and leaves a pudding underneath. It was my fav vegan recipe for years. 

edited to add:

here is a recipe that is very similar to one I have made. It is best served shortly after being removed from the oven. 
https://celebratingsweets.com/chocolate-pudding-cake/

Edited by GoVanGogh
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys

Will look into those. I don't have vegan butter or anything like that. I have regular butter and olive oil... Hmm.. I do have a can of cocanut cream.... 

The only fruit I have on hand are a few bananas, home made bottled peaches and some frozen apple sauce. Oh and almost ripe oranges. Heaps of lemons and limes though

12 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Hawaiian Haupia is full fat coconut cream, sugar and cornstarch.  I'll look for a recipe to link.

ETA: here's a recipe I've used.  I make mine more like a custard served in little bowls.  I usually serve it with fruit.

https://www.contemplatingsweets.com/hawaiian-haupia-coconut-pudding/

Would this work with bottled peaches? 

You could try this and see. 

Almond chocolate truffles

60g chopped dates (soften in water if needed)

50g cashews soaked in hot water for 3 hours and drained. 3 T almond butter. (Tahini might work). 

50g unsweetened cocoa powder

60g date sugar (not sure conversion to regular sugar)

1t vanilla extract

ground almonds for coating. 

combine dates and cashews in food processor. Add remaining ingredients. You want it to form balls when you pinch small amount and roll. You can add water if too dry. Refrigerate 10 min. if too soft. Roll them in almonds and refrigerate until you serve. 

I don’t know if the cooked cashews will work. 

• Thanks 1

Silken tofu chocolate mousse. Blitz 2-3 boxes of silken soft tofu. Melt 6-8oz noon dairy dark chocolate with some oil. Add chocolate to tofu, blitz some more. Add vanilla extract or  orange extract, a dash of salt, icing sugar (2-4Tblsp) - all optional. Will look runny. Pop in fridge until thickened and cool. You can freeze it as well for vegan chocolate ice cream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like to make a Chocolate Snack cake--no eggs, no butter, cocoa instead of chocolate.  It is an old recipe (from depression era) and my go-to dessert anytime I need a quick dessert. Bonus:  everyone loves it!  Once it cools, I sift some powder sugar on top to give it a finished look....

Here's a traditional recipe: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-snack-cake/4dc98911-1609-4b6c-b34f-545ac7ee8c81

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you guys

Will look into those. I don't have vegan butter or anything like that. I have regular butter and olive oil... Hmm.. I do have a can of cocanut cream.... 

The only fruit I have on hand are a few bananas, home made bottled peaches and some frozen apple sauce. Oh and almost ripe oranges. Heaps of lemons and limes though

Peach or apple crumble. Do you have a mild-tasting cooking oil for the crumble instead of butter? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

You could try this and see. 

Almond chocolate truffles

60g chopped dates (soften in water if needed)

50g cashews soaked in hot water for 3 hours and drained. 3 T almond butter. (Tahini might work). 

50g unsweetened cocoa powder

60g date sugar (not sure conversion to regular sugar)

1t vanilla extract

ground almonds for coating. 

combine dates and cashews in food processor. Add remaining ingredients. You want it to form balls when you pinch small amount and roll. You can add water if too dry. Refrigerate 10 min. if too soft. Roll them in almonds and refrigerate until you serve. 

I don’t know if the cooked cashews will work. 

Ohh. I have almond spread. This might be what I make. Thank you

Seems like you've already got some ideas, but I wanted to put in a plug for the Post-Punk Kitchen website. It's got tons of vegan recipes, and I've never had a fail with any of them. (The site owner is one of the co-authors of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and the assorted sequels, which are my hands-down favorite vegan baking books.)

I know you said you have a limited range of fruit available, so maybe a different filling would be in order, but this recipe has a crust that uses olive oil:

https://www.theppk.com/2011/02/berry-creme-tart-with-cocoa-olive-oil-crust/

Also, I haven't personally tried this recipe, but olive oil cake is a thing, and I found this recipe for a vegan olive oil cake with citrus fruits:

https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/vegan-olive-oil-cake/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d do something with those peaches! (I just saw that you have peaches) Maybe a tart with one of those no-fail veggie oil crusts or a crisp. Or a peaches and cream thing using the coconut cream. Something like this: https://www.bessiebakes.com/vegan-peaches-and-coconut-cream-macadamia-nut-crumble/https://www.bessiebakes.com/vegan-peaches-and-coconut-cream-macadamia-nut-crumble/

• Thanks 1

A comment on vegans and sugar - you may want to ask for future which types of sugar she has a preference for.  Regular white sugar is often processed with bone to bleach it and some vegans may object.  Some don't.  Just like some vegans are fine with Oreos, but some find that they don't quite meet up.  Alternative sugars (date, coconut) or unbleached (sugar in the raw) are usually easy to find. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone 

What we did was I cooked a lamb roast for everyone else, and baked all the veggies in a seperate oven. I checked with her first and she had no problem with everyone else eating meat. I made the gravy vegan. For desert we had those vegan nut balls truffles with peaches served seperatly. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

A comment on vegans and sugar - you may want to ask for future which types of sugar she has a preference for.  Regular white sugar is often processed with bone to bleach it and some vegans may object.  Some don't.  Just like some vegans are fine with Oreos, but some find that they don't quite meet up.  Alternative sugars (date, coconut) or unbleached (sugar in the raw) are usually easy to find. 

Thanks for the heads up.   I have never heard of that before. Luckily for us she isn't one of those fanatical vegans. Just a really nice girl. 

I am not buying super expensive rich people food. We are just very ordanary average poor  people. We have Aussie cane sugar or honey that we get from out own bees. And  unfortunately bees do get killed while extracting 

I have never heard  of vegan olive oil.  Here all olive oil says right on the tin that it is suitable for vegans. It is just regular cold pressed extra virgin olive oil

17 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you everyone 

What we did was I cooked a lamb roast for everyone else, and baked all the veggies in a seperate oven. I checked with her first and she had no problem with everyone else eating meat. I made the gravy vegan. For desert we had those vegan nut balls truffles with peaches served seperatly. 

I’m glad it worked well and that you feel that she’s a lovely girl. I hope everything works out nicely for your son. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

After reading lots of vegan recipes I have decided vegans must be either very rich or single. How can they afford to eat? 

We are vegan and eat very economically. Beans and legumes, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are some of the cheapest foods you can buy. The price of these foods has been much less affected by inflation than animal products, too. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We are vegan and eat very economically. Beans and legumes, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are some of the cheapest foods you can buy. The price of these foods has been much less affected by inflation than animal products, too. 

Not here.  Veggies, especially leafy greens have increased way way more in price and more rapidly than meat. Example Kale, the cheapest leafy green is over $4 for a couple if leaves, berries are exorbitantly expensive but I wasn't meaning the veggie parts. 

It is the nuts and nut spreads and fancy super expensive sugars and artificial dairy alternatives that would be the bank breakers. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Not here.  Veggies, especially leafy greens have increased way way more in price and more rapidly than meat. Example Kale, the cheapest leafy green is over $4 for a couple if leaves, berries are exorbitantly expensive but I wasn't meaning the veggie parts. 

It is the nuts and nut spreads and fancy super expensive sugars and artificial dairy alternatives that would be the bank breakers. 

Yeah, Australia is different than the rest of the world in that regard.

We eat nuts and seeds every day, but only 1 oz., so we get the health benefits at a very reasonable cost per day. I make cashew and walnut milk, but it is only one cup nuts per four cups water, and that lasts us several days.

We don't eat anything like sugars or dairy alternatives. It is only some vegans who buy the more expensive processed foods. It is totally not necessary to buy those things. Avoiding the processed and packaged foods is much healthier and a pretty cheap way to live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the future, you can make banana "ice cream" with one ingredient. Bananas (which you had).

Freeze peeled bananas, cutting them up will speed the process.

Once frozen blend (gently). Don't over process.

Pack blended bananas in airtight container and freeze.

You had bottled peaches. That would be a nice add. Any fruit (thinking mangoes) couple work. 

I bet coconut cream would also be a nice add.

Couldn't be much easier. And vegan.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:33 PM, happi duck said:

Hawaiian Haupia is full fat coconut cream, sugar and cornstarch.  I'll look for a recipe to link.

ETA: here's a recipe I've used.  I make mine more like a custard served in little bowls.  I usually serve it with fruit.

https://www.contemplatingsweets.com/hawaiian-haupia-coconut-pudding/

Thank you for reminding me of this. I had a Hawaiian friend who used to make haupia, and I had forgotten about it. Now I want to make it and to track down my old friend. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I think you hit on one of my irritations.  I like to eat vegan/vegetarian when I can, but I'm not down with overly processed substitutes or hard to get ingredients. We do use raw sugar as a norm.  It's about $.50 more for 4lbs of raw vs. 4lbs of bleached, but it makes a much better cookie. 🙂

I believe local/cheap comes first, and then spreading out beyond that to find ingredients.  I have no idea what is cheaper in Australia.  For us, it would be garden veggies, apples, blueberries, and cranberries. Then the hardier fruits/veggies at the grocery store that can be grilled.  I balk at buying things now like avocados because I went from paying $.30/each to having them on sale for $1.50 each and looking terrible at that.  I love them, they were a staple of my diet for a long time, but I just can't stomach paying 5-6x the price.

• Like 1