Menu

6 dead, 24 wounded in 4th of July parade shooting

Corraleno

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Apparently Crimo had previously staked out a synagogue which is 2 blocks from yesterday's shooting site. Rabbi Yosef Schanowitz said "During the last Passover holiday, that person entered the Chabad synagogue. We have an armed security guard sitting in front… I approached him and sternly asked him to leave as I noticed he was not a member of our community.”  Source

The obscure symbol that Crimo plastered all over his videos and other media is associated with an anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, white nationalist group in Finland. There are also suggestions that he subscribed to QAnon beliefs like the "Great Awakening" and the coming "Storm" — he called himself Awake the Rapper, had Awake tattooed on his face, his lyrics talk about awakening, and he has a song called "I Am the Storm." Conspiracy theories about the Kennedy assignation that have been absorbed into Q-nuttery may explain the newspaper clipping about Oswald. There is video and photos of him at rallies for a certain politician and a photo of him wearing a political banner as a cape.

His uncle, who lived in the main house with the father, said Crimo lived alone in a small apartment behind the house, was unemployed, and basically spent all his time on the computer. He also said he never saw any signs of danger, which I guess means he either never saw any of his nephew's social media, or he saw it and didn't think that videos about killing people and fulfilling his "destiny" were red flags.

They did not announce federal charges today, but I won’t be surprised if that happens in the coming days. 

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I cried when I heard this. So incredibly sad. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Joker2 said:

News is saying the family called police on him in 2019 for threatening to “kill everyone”. Police removed knives/swords and referred it to state police who I guess did nothing since he was able to legally get the gun. 

Quoting myself because it seems even after the 2019 incident his own dad helped him get the gun. 

• Sad 4

11 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

The headlines tell the story.  There are ways to prevent at least some of these attacks.   The new federal law addresses some of the problems.  Other ways is for all the social media to get stronger AI.  Because all they seem interested in banning is more conservative voices instead of hunting down killers in the making or Taliban, ISIS.  etc terrorists.  We also need prosecutors to give stiff sentences for things like illegal possession of a gun, obvious escalation of crimes, etc.

And we need the public to say something if you see something.  Why did people in Texas stop a mass shooting even though they have no red flag law but in Illinois, where they have such a law, no one said anything?  We don't have many answers yet about the Highland Park killer but the failure of the red flag law should be explored.

Yes.  I think that needs to be focused on. 

First of all stronger rules on guns for sure.  Myself I would love really really strict laws.

I agree with you see something say something idea.  But I was wondering does everyone need more education on that?  In a perfect world we wouldn't want or need to focus on this and the rules on guns would solve everything.  But does every teacher, parent, child, everyone need education in what that means?  What to do?  Who to say something to?  What to look for?  I read an article on this shooter that had one of his family member say they never saw any signs he would do anything like this.  And then in the next paragraph about this online rantings about it???    I feel like maybe parents really need help and support in dealing with this parenting issue.  Not that I am laying this on parents.  But this isn't something that was going on to this scale in previous generations.  Do we need to spell out the things to look for, where to look for it, how to look for it, and then what to do about it?  Do we need more mental health support in schools?  

I don't know.  We need to stop this.  We need to do whatever it takes so that little children are not stuck in dumpsters, left orphans, killed at school, watching their friends die.  This should not be happening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Quoting myself because it seems even after the 2019 incident his own dad helped him get the gun. 

Which completely negates Illinois' red flag law because as I understand it, the family members have to say that they want the guns removed.

Only individuals with certain relationships to those who are at risk are eligible to file a FRO petition against them in Illinois; eligible individuals include blood relatives, presently married spouses, former spouses, persons who have a child in common, and household members (e.g. roommates, unmarried partners).

https://icjia.illinois.gov/researchhub/articles/firearm-restraining-orders-in-illinois/

• Like 1

"Crimo was highly active on forums focusing on violent videos and extremism in the years before the attack. Crimo was also an active participant on a forum that exclusively aggregated videos of murders and violent incidents on the web, last posting in the week before the shooting.

On the chat app Discord, Crimo railed against “commies” under his rap name Awake. The Discord channel, titled “SS,” was first discovered by researchers at the website Unicorn Riot, a nonprofit media group that tracks the far right.

Crimo also posted what he called a “manifesto” as an Amazon e-book, which consisted of 28 pages of numbers seemingly meant to be decoded. The e-book, which was published in February 2021, is no longer available on Amazon."

Source: NBC news

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes.  I think that needs to be focused on. 

First of all stronger rules on guns for sure.  Myself I would love really really strict laws.

I agree with you see something say something idea.  But I was wondering does everyone need more education on that?  In a perfect world we wouldn't want or need to focus on this and the rules on guns would solve everything.  But does every teacher, parent, child, everyone need education in what that means?  What to do?  Who to say something to?  What to look for?  I read an article on this shooter that had one of his family member say they never saw any signs he would do anything like this.  And then in the next paragraph about this online rantings about it???    I feel like maybe parents really need help and support in dealing with this parenting issue.  Not that I am laying this on parents.  But this isn't something that was going on to this scale in previous generations.  Do we need to spell out the things to look for, where to look for it, how to look for it, and then what to do about it?  Do we need more mental health support in schools?  

I don't know.  We need to stop this.  We need to do whatever it takes so that little children are not stuck in dumpsters, left orphans, killed at school, watching their friends die.  This should not be happening.

One of the aspects of the bill that just passed is more funďing for mental health in schools.  I am very for that.

However, at  least 3 killers had parents who basically helped them either w obsession or w getting a gun.  Sandy Hook was an autistic kid ,whose mother thought that shooting would be a good activity for him and kept locked guns in the house even though his room was a shrine to killers. Then the Michigan high school student and now this Highland Parade guy.  Both of those killers had parents or parent who knew of their son's violent obsessions and still provided and helped them get guns.   

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

One of the aspects of the bill that just passed is more funďing for mental health in schools.  I am very for that.

However, at  least 3 killers had parents who basically helped them either w obsession or w getting a gun.  Sandy Hook was an autistic kid ,whose mother thought that shooting would be a good activity for him and kept locked guns in the house even though his room was a shrine to killers. Then the Michigan high school student and now this Highland Parade guy.  Both of those killers had parents or parent who knew of their son's violent obsessions and still provided and helped them get guns.   

I am all for prosecuting parents. However, once a person reaches the age of legally being able to make a firearm purchase, I don’t think the parents can be held liable for providing a weapon. 

Sounds like this guy had quite a few guns in addition to the one he used Monday. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

TravelingChris, we don't need more surveillance. We need less guns. Everywhere else in the world has it figured out. It's not actually rocket science.

Less guns in criminals hands and nut  jobs like the guy who Sunday made a 670 mile drive from Jacksonville Fl to North Alabama, calling the neighboring Sheriff's department an hour into the drive making threats.  Then when he was  stopped on I65 in another county that is adjacent to both the county under threat and mine, told the police he had a bomb and I65 was shut down for hours while the local National Guard bomb squad was deployed and cars anf people had to  stand back.

So we do have some agreemenr.  As to the AI, they are already totally surveying you in social media for profit- they should ste0 up and survey for safety too.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, TravelingChris said:

You do realize that criminals do not obey laws.  And the Wisconsin guy used a SUV and killed the same amount of people but injured double the amount?

Well, I'd be happy to regulate guns and gun use the way we do driver's licenses and vehicles....not perfect, but a good start. 

• Like 16

9 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

But I can't pass a law that makes parents not be idiots. 

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

So we do have some agreemenr.  As to the AI, they are already totally surveying you in social media for profit- they should ste0 up and survey for safety too.

Pretty sure some of the social media they are talking about is not say, your standard Facebok page. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

"They" are not literally totally surveying "you" on social media, perhaps you need to learn a tad more on how algorithms work, and I mean that in a sincere way.

But what you say is interesting. If "they" should step up and survey for safety also, does this mean you are in favor of these type chat rooms and forums frequented by fanatical people being listened in on? They are usually private areas of right wing channels such as 4chan and 8chan, and then the Discord one that had all types of people...because  this would mean a person would be giving up a bit of their right to free speech, especially if they're only writing vague, angry ideas that don't actually say they would like to perform them...so, on a private online area, you'd be ok with being reported on?? And if so, then perhaps you'd be open minded enough to understand how others are ok to "lose" a bit of their right to bear arms by curtailing certain weapons or mandating registries or licenses.

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 3

Tucker Carlson blames mass shootings by young men on... women:

"Why didn’t anyone raise an alarm? Well, maybe because he didn’t stand out. Maybe because there are a lot of young men in America who suddenly look and act a lot like this guy. And of course, they’re angry. They know that their lives will not be better than their parents’. They’ll be worse. That’s all but guaranteed. They know that. They’re not that stupid. And yet the authorities in their lives – mostly women – never stop lecturing them about their so-called privilege. ‘You’re male, you’re privileged!’ Imagine that. Try to imagine an unhealthier, unhappier life than that. So, a lot of young men in America are going nuts. Are you surprised?” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 7

8 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

"Why didn’t anyone raise an alarm? Well, maybe because he didn’t stand out. Maybe because there are a lot of young men in America who suddenly look and act a lot like this guy. And of course, they’re angry. They know that their lives will not be better than their parents’. They’ll be worse. That’s all but guaranteed. They know that. They’re not that stupid. And yet the authorities in their lives – mostly women – never stop lecturing them about their so-called privilege. ‘You’re male, you’re privileged!’ Imagine that. Try to imagine an unhealthier, unhappier life than that. So, a lot of young men in America are going nuts. Are you surprised?” 

Where’s a 😡reaction emoji when you need one? 

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Lighthearted reply: where’s the eye roll emoji when you need it?

How I really feel: friggin incel terrorists. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Yeah um, because that isn't true??  ARGH.  This is not the fault of women.

The most rage-inducing thing about that quote is that the social and economic conditions that are making life worse for both men and women are exactly the policies Carlson supports — and they are going to make life much MUCH worse for women than for men. And yet women aren't the ones buying caches of weapons and slaughtering innocent people. Most of the mass shooters are young men whose hatred and rage are purposely stoked by Carlson and the whole "angertainment" industry, who are more than happy to get rich off the destruction of their country and the deaths of innocent people.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1

This is from a recent University of Chicago poll:

"In total, 28% of voters agreed with the statement “it may be necessary at some point soon for citizens to take up arms against the government.” ... The belief in armed resistance was loosely correlated with actual gun ownership. About 37% of those who said they had guns in their homes also agreed with the “taking up arms” statement. “These really are stunning results, that really go to the depth of the nation’s partisan divide and the extent to which Americans really don’t trust the media to provide unbiased information,” Newhouse said in an interview. “The bottom line is, it’s worse out there than we thought.” 

https://www.courthousenews.com/poll-quarter-of-americans-open-to-armed-rebellion-against-government/

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Dear Americans, if the young men if your life express a desire to kill people, BELIEVE THEM. Don't sweep it under the rug. Don't assume that it's all talk. Don't think that giving them access to weapons for their weapons fetish will help them channel their aggression in a healthy way.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

Dear Americans, if the young men if your life express a desire to kill people, BELIEVE THEM. Don't sweep it under the rug. Don't assume that it's all talk. Don't think that giving them access to weapons for their weapons fetish will help them channel their aggression in a healthy way.

Can we get that placed on certain news outlets as a public service announcement?

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

This is what I am was trying to say!  We need to get through to every person in the country on what to look for, what to do, and who to report it to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

This is what I am was trying to say!  We need to get through to every person in the country on what to look for, what to do, and who to report it to.

We definitely need to do this, but it made no difference in this case. He was reported but the police didn’t do anything and he was allowed to get the gun. So, sometimes people report and it still does no good.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

We definitely need to do this, but it made no difference in this case. He was reported but the police didn’t do anything and he was allowed to get the gun. So, sometimes people report and it still does no good.

Yes, I know it won't work in every case.  But I think I read that the people he made threats to didn't press charges.  Did anyone else read that?  I read it yesterday so don't have a link.  So if that was his family and they didn't want to get him in trouble or something like that?   Is that the only way that the police could do anything?  I don't know?  If it is they need more power to act on people making threats.

25 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

He was allowed to get the gun because his family - who knew that he was threatening to kill people because some family members had literally called the cops on him just months before - SPONSORED him for gun ownership in a state that doesn't allow young people to own guns before they're 21. So actually, it would have stopped this particular person.

In a general sense, I agree that we need gun control. And everything else is just noise. But in the meantime - and because I think we have a growing problem of angry young men in this country even apart from the gun issue - I think we've got to take young men making these threats extra seriously.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

A woman who is, unfortunately, well acquainted with Crimo says that he was not a "lone wolf" but was part of a far-right local group that held Stop the Steal protests and which harassed, threatened, doxxed, and sometimes physically assaulted counter-protestors. She says the group are anti-immigrant, misogynistic, white nationalists, and that she repeatedly complained to the police about them, including having been personally harassed and doxxed, and the police did nothing.

I think the focus really needs to be changed from "members of the public need to report on individual weirdos in their community who make threats" to the government and police departments need to get serious about labeling these violent white nationalist groups as what they are — terrorists — and acting accordingly. The poll suggesting that 37% of gun owners believe they may "need" to take up arms against the US government "soon" is utterly terrifying. There are 20 million AR-15 rifles in this country right now — and one in three owners think a violent overthrow of the government is not only ok, but may be both necessary and imminent??? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

A woman who is, unfortunately, well acquainted with Crimo says that he was not a "lone wolf" but was part of a far-right local group that held Stop the Steal protests and which harassed, threatened, doxxed, and sometimes physically assaulted counter-protestors. She says the group are anti-immigrant, misogynistic, white nationalists, and that she repeatedly complained to the police about them, including having been personally harassed and doxxed, and the police did nothing.

I think the focus really needs to be changed from "members of the public need to report on individual weirdos in their community who make threats" to the government and police departments need to get serious about labeling these violent white nationalist groups as what they are — terrorists — and acting accordingly. The poll suggesting that 37% of gun owners believe they may "need" to take up arms against the US government "soon" is utterly terrifying. There are 20 million AR-15 rifles in this country right now — and one in three owners think a violent overthrow of the government is not only ok, but may be both necessary and imminent??? 

Do you have a source from the woman who said that he's part of a group?  I would think media would be all over that, and I hadn't heard.  Not doubting you, just wondering about confirmation?

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Do you have a source from the woman who said that he's part of a group?  I would think media would be all over that, and I hadn't heard.  Not doubting you, just wondering about confirmation?

Here is the post, I will link the source below, I don't want to include her name here, but the link at the bottom should take you to her page:

"Bobby Crimo is NOT a Lone Wolf 

On July 4th 2022 I was heading to breakfast at the Walker Brothers restaurant downtown Highland Park with my mother and 17 year old high school student. The rest of my family was on their way back from a weekend trip. I told my husband and my youngest not to hurry back for the parade but instead to be home by 2:00 pm for a backyard party with friends. At 10:00 am, my mother picked us up. We drove the couple of blocks and parked in front of a bagel shop. There was a series of loud pops when we exited the car. My brain processed them as fireworks. As we turned onto Central Avenue, people ran, leaving wagons abandoned in the street. In my head, I thought that they were going home since the parade had just passed.

My 17-year old kept saying that something isn’t right, people were fleeing, not just going home. It didn’t register until I heard the wails of people calling for their family members. We stood there for a moment and then it hit me… there was a shooting. We left the scene and began hearing from friends. They described the bodies in the street, the wounded bleeding out, the confusion and mass hysteria that swept over the crowd as they realized what was happening. A friend of mine with military training ran to the dead, dying, and injured and helped as best they could to keep these people from bleeding out until the ambulances arrived.

The shooter was perched on Uncle Dan’s rooftop. He climbed up a ladder in the alleyway and lay in wait. 6 are confirmed dead so far with nearly 30 wounded. The shooter wasn’t caught immediately. The police seemed just as stunned and unprepared as the rest of us. The town went on lockdown as the police and FBI worked to uncover his identity and find him.

When it was announced around 6 pm that the suspect was caught, his face and identity were known to me. In fact, had I been asked for a short list of people in the area who I thought had the potential and motivation to cause such harm and destruction in our community, his name would have likely been on the list. What I know for certain is that the shooter knew my name, address, and make and model of my car. He and his associates had doxxed me, creating a flyer calling me a dangerous Communist with my picture, name, address, and a call to action that I must be stopped. Why was I on the radar of a 20 year old kid and his band of hoodlum friends? Because I dared to counter-protest their Stop the Steal events in 2020.

I’ve heard on CNN and other news sources that there are only a few photos of the shooter with Trump Flags and that his major motivator was a love of death and destruction. This is blatantly false. There are multiple news articles from the Patch and Chicago Tribune featuring photos of the shooter at these MAGA events. I recognized him right away as part of the group of local angry white young men who had previously waited for me after protests, to threaten and harassed me, and came to a Protect the Results vigil on December 12, 2020 in Highland Park’s Sunset Park where they did the nazi salute multiple times and screamed the following at our small group through a bullhorn…“We refuse to accept a socialist, communist and anarchist America. We pledge to stop a Biden led communist regime that will kill the American Dream and the traditional way of American life. We demand Biden Harris never. We will not stop until the Antifa scum and Black Lives Matter monkeys get put in their place. Enough of this Left-wing violence.”

The police were there. They did nothing other than tell us to leave the park at dusk when we were already heading to our cars. In Northbrook, the Stop the Steal rallies were violent. People who I was counter-protesting with were hit in the head with thick flag poles by the future shooter and his associates. The police did little when their side crossed the street to confront us repeatedly. I did reach out to the police and so have others. We’ve been speaking out about the harassment and behavior of local MAGA fanatics but have been ignored, brushed aside, or even made to feel as if we provoked them. The shooter joined a group of pro-Trump and militia supporters in the summer of 2020 to intimidate residents with their aggressive “Trump Train” through the heart of the old downtown, the location of his future mass shooting.

The shooter is not a surprise. Don’t believe the news reports. Bobby Crimo was a known agitator and there could have been interventions before my neighbors' bodies lay strewn across the parade route. This is a fact. He is a homegrown terrorist who flew under the radar because no one was willing to see the signs. There are others like him that are even more likely in my opinion to cause harm and devastation in Highland Park and surrounding communities. We know their names. We know their history of extremism. They walk amongst us waiting for the next opportunity to unleash their fascist desires of control and death on our communities. I have called the police. I have called the FBI. I have spoken out publicly and I continue to do so despite making myself a target.

The truth is slowly leaking out as some media outlets do the investigative work that should be done. You will see that Robert Crimo wasn’t just a crazy person with violent tendencies, he was part of an organized movement to instill fear in anyone brave enough to oppose the fascist threat to our country.  He’s no lone wolf. There are a hundred “Bobby Crimos” waiting in the wings for the chance to punish liberal America and anyone who they see as not embodying “traditional American family values”. I encourage anyone who reads this to do a little research on Bobby Crimo and his associates. It’s all there in news articles, photos, and videos. Yesterday was a MAGA-inspired crime against the community of Highland Park and humanity at large. I have put so much energy into trying to bring attention to this issue with little impact. Hopefully, some of you will help me keep the pressure on our law enforcement and community leaders to do something before the next attack.

https://www.newsweek.com/robert-crimo-highland-park...   

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-protesters-spread-hate...

https://patch.com/.../trump-rally-planned-friday-near...

https://www.dailyherald.com/.../power-to-the-people-rally...

https://humanevents.com/.../suburban-chicago-village.../

http://www.world-uncensored.com/.../divided-we-stand.../

https://illinoisfamilyaction.org/tag/peter-christohttps://www.nbcnews.com/.../chicago-shooting-person...

Learn more about the harassment of Highland Park organizers in the 2 years leading up to the mass shooting: https://youtu.be/o8ioIyW0uds

[The above links were included by the person who wrote the post: source]

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 11
  • Sad 3

This is from another person, published two years ago, that corroborates the other woman's account. I've left off this woman's name as well, but it's available at the link

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Sept. 26, 2020

A north shore suburb of Chicago, The Village of Northbrook had a Trump rally last night that was put on by Glenbrook North High School junior Peter Christos. I was one of many peaceful protesters who were there to counterprotest. I am horrified at what I experienced.

To preface, I am a strong supporter of freedom of speech and freedom to peacefully assemble regardless of whether I agree with your political views. However, the hatred and vitriol that was spewed by the “Power to the People” protesters was unacceptable and very unbecoming of the village of Northbrook. In fact, if we really examine what took place, Northbrook should be ashamed of itself.

The protesters associated with Peter Christos's "Power to the People" rally repeatedly made racist, homophobic, and xenophobic remarks to the peaceful counterprotesters. At times, they would cross the street and taunt the peaceful protesters and made jokes about raping and assaulting people in the crowd. At the end of the night a young man assaulted a woman by hitting her over the head with his board. The police briefly detain him.

And to put things over the top, none of these individuals were wearing masks. I hope they did not trigger a COVID-19 superspreader event in Northbrook.

Northbrook cannot be defined by Peter Christos’ “Power to the People” rally attendees who made extremely derogatory and inflammatory attacks towards peaceful protesters. We cannot accept violence in our community. We are better than that. We need to continue working towards making Northbrook strong again, and we need to value all the ways that individuals of different races, religions, sexual orientations can contribute to our village. Please, Peter Christos’s “Power to the People” protesters: stop the hatred and violence!

Source

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 5

Another comment:

"[Crimo] followed QAnon/far alt-right anti-Semitic movements. He also painted on his mom’s house “God’s not dead” with an alt-right smiley face figure. It’s in reference to the movie “God’s not dead”. Which is a far alt-right movie staring Kevin Sorbo (conspiracy theorist). It’s a MAGA favorite series of movies about Christian nationalism. Heavily promoted by organizations like Alliance Defending Freedom & many conservatives. Here’s the videos of him painting it. " Link to video

I have also seen current video of the image Crimo painted on his mother's house that is referred to in the above post, which is a figure dressed in camo with an assault rifle and a yellow smiley face. He also wears a tee shirt with a yellow smiley face in some of his videos.

ETA: I found a photo of the image Crimo painted on the side of his mother's house:

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 11.46.18 PM.png

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The abstract symbol that Crimo displayed in his videos and social media accounts is the logo for this white nationalist group:

"Suomen Sisu (Translated: Finnish Sisu) is a Finnish far-right association that defines itself as nationalist and patriotic, criticizing unlimited immigration and multiculturalism. Suomen Sisu proclaims to support the idea of independent national states, that govern themselves sovereignly, and opposes supranational co-operation, especially the European Union. ... The association gained publicity in the spring of 2006 when it published the Muhammad-cartoons on its web site. ... Finnish Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen publicly apologised for the publication of the cartoons, which was interpreted by Suomen Sisu as "flattering the islamists".

Suomen Sisu was described as a "Nazi spirited" group by the Finnish newspaper Länsiväylä. ... Suomen Sisu was founded by the members of a group called "Thule Society." The website of Suomen Sisu has promoted books by Alfred Rosenberg, George Lincoln Rockwell and David Duke."

(The Thule Society was an early supporter of the Nazi party, Rosenberg was a member of Hitler's government, Rockwell was the founder of the American Nazi Party, and Duke is a former Grand Wizard of the KKK.)

Source: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Suomen_Sisu

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I refuse to listen to a Tucker Carlson. I think he is  a fraud  like that Alex (can't remember hid lasr name) who admitted in court that he didn't believe the garbafe hr was pedaling about Sandy Hook elementary shooting being z hoax but doing it  to get listeners.    There was an article about Tucker a number of years ago about howhin hid oersonal life, he sctuslly hung around pretty much only Democrats  and implying he is a performer, albeit s distateful one to me.

13 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Lighthearted reply: where’s the eye roll emoji when you need it?

How I really feel: friggin incel terrorists. 

And we've had them both in US snd Canada.  I think a guy in UC Santa Barbara shot women about 10 yezrs ago znd I know of 2 in Canada.  One happened decades ago, before the tetm 'incel' at McGill University where a male student targeted female engineering students (gun) anf one former Hive member haf been attending that university when it happened.  Then much more recently, a self described 'incel'  mowed down pedestrians in downtown Toronto.

18 hours ago, ktgrok said:

But I can't pass a law that makes parents not be idiots 

Yep, plenty of idiotic parents.  I wonder if the father of this shooter can be prosecuted since he apparently used the gun that was used in the killings in 2019, the one his father co-signed for, and did that after police were called first for the future shooter being suicidal and second call for threatening to  kill family and everybody and police took knives, etc away.

For under age shooters, prosecutors have even more potential charges that could be brought depending on the circumstances. States can enact safe storage laws w regards to underage children and there could be neglect charges if they ignored warnings of the  precarious mental state of the child.  

Pretty sure some of the social media they are talking about is not say, your standard Facebok page. 

I am completely aware of that  but while some are only announcing intentions in those hazy sites where there is no official monitoring, it seems like most of them also advertise their evil intentions on yhe more regulated platforms that have more standards  and  usually do remove killer drawings, movies, manifestos, etc mostly after the fact but always claim they would have removed it if thru had been aware. 

13 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

And we need the police and FBI and 9ther law enforcement to take  serious reports seriously.  In all to many cases, people have reported and either nothing was done or as was the case for thr Nashville bomber, they knock on the door and leave whenno answer.  Turned out that if thet had talked to his neighbors, they would havr gotten more clues and hopefully would have taken the first warning by thr bomber's ex girlfriend more seriously.

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

This is the second time in the lasr few weeks that people reported and police acted..

I wonder if the whole Uvalde debacle with how the various law enforcement entities acted during thr massacre was s6ch sn embarrassment to law enforcement that others don't want to be the next Uvalde School Police Chief.  

Anyway,  what a great job by a citizen  and the cops and very happy they are off the streets.

• Like 2

Recently a group of Proud Boys interrupted a pride month event for children in my community. They were flashing white supremacist hand signs. 

In spite of this and all the confederate flags on vehicles and houses here, people in my community are in denial about the rise of white supremacism. Very scary.

Here are pics of a couple of them. Please don't quote pics; I will remove them later. How'd you like these guys to show up at an event for your kids?

[removed pics]

(BTW, Proud Boys is such a dumb name. Several members of my family are horse people and "proud boys" reminds me of the term "proud cut." It refers to a neutered gelding who acts like he's still a stallion.)

Edited by MercyA
  • Haha 6

@Corraleno thank you for all of those posts and links. Many of the links are broken…….interesting.  
edited to add— ok I looked again….only your very bottom link was broken and one video inside a link had been removed. 

I think her account sounds very credible and I would be very fearful if I were her.  I don’t see anything about her reports on MSM yet.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

@Corraleno thank you for all of those posts and links. Many of the links are broken…….interesting.  

I think her account sounds very credible and I would be very fearful if I were her.  I don’t see anything about her reports on MSM yet.  

She's a very brave woman.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:50 PM, BeachGal said:

Police are looking for Bobby Crimo, III. He’s 22 or 23. Family is from Highland Park and Highwood, just north of HP.

He’s driving a 2010 silver Honda Fit. Interestingly, I dropped my son off at his apartment in a northern Chicago neighborhood around 3 pm and while driving north to my home, noticed an older silver Fit driving erratically right behind me. It wasn’t slight left and right moves but all the way into oncoming lanes and bike lanes. I pulled over to let him go by and then he was between me and a bus. He continued driving this way for about four blocks and my husband and I could see him throwing his hands in the air numerous times. The bus actually pulled to the right to let him pass. This was just south of Evanston which is a few suburbs south of Highland Park. I’m going to let the police know because they should be able to check street cameras, I’d think. Didn't catch the license plate number.

Were you able to confirm this was Crimo?

This is rambly.  A hell of a day here already.  

There’s so many things that need to happen, there’s not just one or two fixes.  

first and foremost, we don’t need guns that can fire many rounds at a time.   Period.  We can’t get the ones off the streets that are there now (unless gun buy backs and such), but we can stop the availability going forward.  

police need to take the threats seriously.  Unfortunately, there’s a lot of police who are extremists themselves.     Those cops are never going to really investigate threats.   We need police reform badly.

(and this isn’t directed at Chris for mentioning TC.  I used to do this, myself, until I had a realization.)  If you watch certain news channels, but turn it off when a certain news show comes on because you think he’s/she’s extreme, you are still giving that channel and him/her credence.  You are still supporting him/her.   And that goes for left and right wing nuts and news shows, whether on national tv, YouTube, apps, whatever.  You are still supporting those people.   Turn it off.   They want the views, the sponsors want to see the views, so stop giving it to them. 

• Like 6

re what "well-regulated" gun-bearing might look like

On 7/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, ktgrok said:

Well, I'd be happy to regulate guns and gun use the way we do driver's licenses and vehicles....not perfect, but a good start. 

Right, or, to take two other rights expressly enumerated in the Constitution (since SCOTUS seems these days to care about express enumeration, except when they don't)...

I'd be very happy to regulate guns and gun use the way we regulate the right to vote:  1) very limited documentary requirements to prove eligibility up front, coupled with 2) an obligation on the registered voter to update address and/or re-register every time they change address to maintain registration status, coupled with  3) proof of identity each time the right is exercised, and 4) the right can only be exercised once an election cycle, and 5) only in the particular place in which the voter is registered.

OR

I'd be happy enough to regulate guns and gun use the way we regulate the right to assembly:  1) advance notification to relevant local authorities prior to the exercise of the right;  2) obtaining and adhering to the terms of relevant permits, including time and location of the assembly; and 3) often, providing proof of insurance and/or putting up bond to ensure that any damages or other liability is covered in the event that the exercise of the Constitutional right results in adverse consequences to the lives or property to others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

From the story, regarding suspect's father: "Three months later he filled out the consent form to allow his son to go apply for a gun owner's permit from the Illinois State Police. He said he does not regret it, adding that his son purchased the weapons with his own money and registered them in his own name."

He doesn't regret it?? What on earth is wrong with people?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

16 hours ago, KSera said:

From the story, regarding suspect's father: "Three months later he filled out the consent form to allow his son to go apply for a gun owner's permit from the Illinois State Police. He said he does not regret it, adding that his son purchased the weapons with his own money and registered them in his own name."

I am so angry.  I was reading about the little boy with a severed spinal cord.  His brother was released, and they couldn't remove some of the shrapnel because it would have been too dangerous.

The father and mother should both rot in hell.  She flashed police after all of this.  And his father has no regrets, no remorse, nothing.  He is trying to protect himself.  Their dysfunction created this monster, and they still do not care. 

• Like 4

On 7/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, KSera said:

Extremism. His interpretation of the second amendment and no restrictions on gun ownership is more important than the lives or health of others. Extremism, whether political, religious, or other, is destroying our country from within.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2