Menu

Question about bathing habits

Teaching3bears

Wash cloth normally. Loofah when I am fancy.

Benefits are well, it makes my skin soft and smooth and I do not need a lot of product, not that I am a fan of it. I use coconut oil to moisturize (good old grandma method).

I have heard it improves circulation, gets rid of old cells blah blah.

I also do dry brushing if I am diligent but that is twice a week.

I do not use a lot of product and use vegan and natural products.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Oh, yes, that makes sense. 😄 I’ve washed my hair outside before…years ago. That feels really good!

Best shower I ever had (yes, I have a favorite, lol) was at the outdoor beachside showers at Juno Beach, FL. I'd taken a long lunch hour and driven over to run on the beach. I did my short run, then a quick swim in the ocean. Then went up the stairs and washed my hair (I'd brought shampoo) in that outdoor shower, facing the ocean, in the sunshine. Fantastic. 

changed back into my scrubs in the changing area of the restrooms, drove back to work. So indulgent on a weekday!

• Like 7

15 hours ago, katilac said:

Believe me, you don't need to be a special ed teacher for these conversations to be required. A surprising number of adults in professional settings need to be informed that they stink, that it is bothering their coworkers, and that management can indeed require that they not reek. 

Oddly, I was going to say the same thing.  My DH has had to have a few of these convos with employees and they are so uncomfortable.

Yes to washcloths and no to scrubbies.  Now that I am so much less active, I find I need to proactively exfoliate area like my legs.  It's so strange to me.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Best shower I ever had (yes, I have a favorite, lol) was at the outdoor beachside showers at Juno Beach, FL. I'd taken a long lunch hour and driven over to run on the beach. I did my short run, then a quick swim in the ocean. Then went up the stairs and washed my hair (I'd brought shampoo) in that outdoor shower, facing the ocean, in the sunshine. Fantastic. 

changed back into my scrubs in the changing area of the restrooms, drove back to work. So indulgent on a weekday!

Nice! Bet you were nice and energized for the rest of your work day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I had a couple friends tell me that there are people out there who don't wash their legs.  It seems they wash the top of their body, and there feet, but just let soap run down their legs and call it good.  Now I randomly remember this while showering and am disturbed anew.  No cloth, no friction . . . just soap passing by on its way to the drain.  I can't unknow this now and it's a problem!

That's me. I really don't think my legs need more than that.

I just use my hands and bar soap for pits, face, around the ears/neck, crotch, feet. The rest mostly just gets sluiced unless I'm really muddy or sweaty.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

But but it would FEEL incomplete! And skin cells and sunscreen and cooties and AHHHHH!!!! 

I’m fine. I really am. 🤣

Sun screen on my legs is a really rare event.  Maybe once a year do I wear shorts?  That being the case, my trousers provide friction and deal with skin cells, and the trousers get washed.  Cooties.... I think that latest science suggests that cooties are water soluble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I use soap to wash off sunscreen and deodorant but not much elsewhere most of the time. I only use it on my face when wearing sunscreen (the only product I ever put on my face - no makeup, no regular moisturizer etc.) ... I avoid soap on my lady bits as it makes me itchy and uncomfortable. Just lots of hot water from a hand sprayer.  

I am not a stinky person - I often skip deodorant. My husband was shocked when he realized this after many, many years of marriage - that deodorant isn't close to a daily part of my routine. And he is outspoken about body odor when it comes to our children at least. I also am not a hairy person - if I never shaved my legs or pits again I don't think anyone would ever notice. As it is,  I occasionally do this like once every month or so in the Summer but it's really unnecessary-- very fine, sparse, light hair only on my calves.. These two traits are probably linked hormonally somehow. 

Edited by theelfqueen
Punctuation

We use loofahs here and compost them when they're tired.  I like a gentle scrub on my skin and a harder one on heels and feet, so a loofah works.  The face always gets a warm washcloth.

I also mostly use only bar soap.  I just traveled this week with a sliver of locally made oatmeal soap for my body and a shampoo bar for my head.  My face doesn't usually get soap at all, though. I do a quick rub with coconut or olive oil before I get in the shower and let the steam do its work to lift the dirt off.  I get out and my face is always soft, having been cleaned and moisturized at the same time. (This week I had so much sunscreen on that soap was necessary).

37 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

locally made oatmeal soap 

I would really love to make my own soap. I studied it a lot at one point. But lye around kids makes me nervous so I'll keep waiting to try it.

We use bar soap. Our dermatologist doesn't like liquid soaps, even baby wash. She says plain white dove (weirdly not the sensitive dove) is the kindest soap.

Just now, Spirea said:

I would really love to make my own soap. I studied it a lot at one point. But lye around kids makes me nervous so I'll keep waiting to try it.

We use bar soap. Our dermatologist doesn't like liquid soaps, even baby wash. She says plain white dove (weirdly not the sensitive dove) is the kindest soap.

I grew up using plain white Dove.  I think I still have a bar of it here because it is comforting and just feels good on the skin. It's my go-to when I have a lull between farmer's markets. We have so many local soap makers that I don't feel the need to ever jump into making it myself, but I do sometimes miss a lovely goat's milk/honey soap that I got at our last home and wish I could replicate it.  Nobody I know here uses goat milk and it would be nice to find some again. 

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That's me. I really don't think my legs need more than that.

I just use my hands and bar soap for pits, face, around the ears/neck, crotch, feet. The rest mostly just gets sluiced unless I'm really muddy or sweaty.

Same. Although it gets hotter where I live so I wear shorts much more often (in summer it is exclusively shorts or dresses) and if I have any time at all outside in the heat they usually get icky. Also, when I shave my legs they get soaped but that is as I feel like it and mostly only the bottom half as those hairs get rougher. I don't like using washclothes except for on my face and I don't usually wash it in the bath/shower but in the sink.

Mold grows so fast here that I kinda gave up on loofahs. I just figured they get gross fast. I do use wash cloths but not for my whole body. I'm a single use cloth/towel person. If I assist dd I would just use the wash cloth for the nether regions. I probably should use a loofah or something for exfoliating. I don't like liquid soaps and use bars. I feel like the bars last longer /shrug. 

Funny side note... I heard that Irish Spring deters mosquitos (based on an article and an anecdotal story). I used to use it a lot, growing up. I recently bought some because of it ha. Not sure if it matters which scent but I bought the original. 

Edited by heartlikealion
mosquitoes not misquotes haha

23 hours ago, ktgrok said:

My husband and I still argue back and forth as to if swimming in cholorinated pool "counts" as bathing, lol. (I vote yes - at least for kids)

I always shower after going in chlorine and make the kids, too. It's an annoying chore, but I feel like we need to. Who knows, maybe I would get lazy about it if we were at a pool daily. 

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I always shower after going in chlorine and make the kids, too. It's an annoying chore, but I feel like we need to. Who knows, maybe I would get lazy about it if we were at a pool daily. 

i will say, home pools are generally no where near the same level of chlorine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Ahhh, yes I agree those can become gross.  I think the grossness of washcloths depends on laundering, but I'm lazy so we don't use them.

Me too as our my kids.  Dh tried the washcloths and the plastic scrubs.   Nobody in the house could follow the rules of them so out they went.  I never wanted them and knew that is what the kids would do.