Menu

X-posted from the high school board in case you veterans have ideas

Eos

OK, dd17 has three weeks left to finish 4 classes.  She has figured out everything she needs to do and has it all scheduled.  Today she declared that the thing that she needs to get through it is for there to be more "aesthetic" involved.  Like, candles and beauty and stuff.  Her quote " like studying in an English cottage."  Oh girl, we live in an old farmhouse that is chockablock full of aesthetic, surrounded by gardens and woods, what more can you want?? 

So anyway, any quick suggestions to create this very specific scaffold? I thought I might get up early and lay a pretty tablecloth and flowers.  What else? Waldorf puppets?  Maybe it's just spring fever and she's hoping a knight (or maybe a Lady) will visit her in her bower...😂

• Haha 2

I think it sounds fun, and if I had the time and inclination would definitely do it for my daughter- and she has actually done similar things for me.

I like the tablecloth, flowers,  chocolate is nice, and a special drink - I like lemonade but anything with ice in a fancy glass would be fun.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, porque? said:

I think it sounds fun, and if I had the time and inclination would definitely do it for my daughter- and she has actually done similar things for me.

I like the tablecloth, flowers,  chocolate is nice, and a special drink - I like lemonade but anything with ice in a fancy glass would be fun.

I agree!

I think it would be a great way to make some long-lasting memories with your daughter, and it would be a fun way to end her high school years. (I’m assuming she’s a senior, but even if not, I think this would be fun.)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son did all his work in multi-colored erasable pens and then added stickers to every page. So each math problem would be in a different colour (we are talking calculus here), and then he had bird, butterfly, and plant stickers that he would add. He just really wanted his work to be aesthetically beautiful. So not the environment, but the physical work itself. Might help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not creative in the least so would probably put a screen saver photo of an English-y type setting on a laptop or computer. Put a battery-operated "candle" by the laptop along with a fake flower (I don't like seeing real ones wilt) and a teabag of some sort and call it good.

Golly, I should be an events planner...something like weddings or super important and special occasions! 🙂

• Haha 13

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

To help set the mood, I suggest printing off pics of Colin Firth strolling around Pemberly and slapping them up around the room.  Or Matthew Macfadyen if he's more her style. 

Brilliant!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A promise of an afternoon tea once she reaches __________ goal. 

This sounds great, I think her planning schedule has her finishing each class in succession, so I'll do a mini-tea for each.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Can she go outside and study in your gardens?

6 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I’d tell my kid, “knock yourself out.” And let her take ownership of the project. 

Both of these - I came home yesterday to find her with books, laptop, and notebook with a blanket (a pretty blanket) on top of the old climbing apparatus in the yard overlooking the garden.  I'll find her some sparkling cordials and a goblet, plus I've put all my little owl carvings around the house.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I agree!

I think it would be a great way to make some long-lasting memories with your daughter, and it would be a fun way to end her high school years. (I’m assuming she’s a senior, but even if not, I think this would be fun.)

She's a junior but these are her last homeschool classes, she's doing all DE for senior.  And if she needs to be surrounded by comfort for DE finals, I'll be there with the tea and the Pride and Prejudice memes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lewelma said:

My son did all his work in multi-colored erasable pens and then added stickers to every page. So each math problem would be in a different colour (we are talking calculus here), and then he had bird, butterfly, and plant stickers that he would add. He just really wanted his work to be aesthetically beautiful. So not the environment, but the physical work itself. Might help. 

I love this, thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

lol. Google "Cottagecore". That's what she's thinking. 

I mean, it's silly, but if you are willing to indulge, maybe hit the thrift store for some pretty china tea cups and saucers, and pick up some pretty cookies or something? 

I mean, heck, why NOT be silly? Sounds sort of fun, and we all could use a bit of whimsy in our life. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

I'm all teared up. 
I would not have had the bandwidth to do this for our dd at that time . . . but in hindsight, I would really, really strongly suggest putting time into it.

Great memories.
Especially if she can take IG pix of the finished arrangement. 

She's giving you a little window of fun opportunity.  😉
Maybe wildflowers, candles, fancy tea cup, floral fabric draped over her chair, etc.

• Like 1

I would definitely do what you're planning on doing, especially the Pride and Prejudice memes 😂.  I hope my DD requests this sort of thing in her junior year (my 17 year old DS would.never. HA!) I'm from England, so that sort of thing is pretty much my bread and butter.

You could make cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches and scones (or buy these if it's too faffy to do). Put them on a nice dish/plate/platter and use your best English accent when you show her what you've done. I tend to go overboard with these sorts of things, though. I may be the only "extra" English person I know (must be the many years of living in America that did it to me...LOL!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Eos said:

This sounds great, I think her planning schedule has her finishing each class in succession, so I'll do a mini-tea for each.

My late mom loves afternoon tea so she would bring me to hotel cafes for afternoon tea for any rhyme or reason 🙂 Those were good memories. My paternal female cousins said one of their best memories were being taken by my mom to afternoon tea. 

9 hours ago, Eos said:

She's a junior but these are her last homeschool classes, she's doing all DE for senior.  And if she needs to be surrounded by comfort for DE finals, I'll be there with the tea and the Pride and Prejudice memes.

Luckily for me, my DS17 is happy with food 🤣 He is having mac and cheese for lunch at his request.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, importswim said:

I would definitely do what you're planning on doing, especially the Pride and Prejudice memes 😂.  I hope my DD requests this sort of thing in her junior year (my 17 year old DS would.never. HA!) I'm from England, so that sort of thing is pretty much my bread and butter.

You could make cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches and scones (or buy these if it's too faffy to do). Put them on a nice dish/plate/platter and use your best English accent when you show her what you've done. I tend to go overboard with these sorts of things, though. I may be the only "extra" English person I know (must be the many years of living in America that did it to me...LOL!)

I'm all about the overboard!

popovers and jam for breakfast (maybe with some cheddar as well), maybe tuna on rye toast with greens for lunch, on white plates

natural light wherever possible

wool, linen, and flannel as first-choice fabrics

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Eos said:

like studying in an English cottage." 

For me, English cottage style means a simple life made of savoring simple pleasures.

A house that has throws year round, plump pillows on sofas covered in chintz. Floral fabrics on lived in furniture handed down generations. A house filled with books, with a kettle on the stove, with boots at the backdoor grimy from stomping in mud. People who delight in taking walks especially in the rain live there. There are deep window seats to sit and dream.

It means taking delight in flowers or slowing down for tea. It includes a lot of natural textures like wood, cotton, linen, rattan. Fancy velvet too.

It is not sleek or minimalist or modern, but rambunctious and a bit messy. it has hairy dogs and a cat sitting on a window. 

It is habited by people who are not afraid to put their feet up. It is warm and inviting and reminds you of grandmothers and your childhood. It is a safe place for all who live or enter there. 

IDK if your daughter feels stressed, but I am that person who makes extra effort to make my space warm and safe when I am stressed. I read comfort books, listen to comfort music, cook good food and in general make my environment highly nurturing for myself and all those around me.  In doing so, I make memories always and I look back on them fondly. It is incredibly bonding. My children have started to do so. 

So make memories and rituals of good and simple food, soothing music, walks, sunshine, books. Whatever makes her warm and safe and makes memories for the two of you or as a family. 

• Like 2