Menu

Cabinet hardware - pulls vs knobs?

ktgrok

Just now, Anne said:

For me, pulls all the way!  I have arthritis in my hands - it’s much easier for me to grab a pull than a knob.  

Anne

oh...good point - my mom has arthritis VERY badly in her hands. She's not over all that often, but I would want her able to open a drawer/cabinet if she needed to. 

Just now, Storygirl said:

Are you asking about this for your current kitchen cabinets? If so, I would replace with whatever is already there. If you have knobs but change to pulls, you will have to change from one hole to two, which may not be easy.

Our current cabinets have no hardware at all. Which explains why the finish has worn off on the edges where finger oils are constantly deposited - finishes can't hold up to oils like that all the time, and eventually get sticky/soft and wear off. 

So when we paint, we will install hardware. 

I am thinking something like this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/eneryda-handle-black-70347516/

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 1:40 PM, ktgrok said:

Our current cabinets have no hardware at all. Which explains why the finish has worn off on the edges where finger oils are constantly deposited - finishes can't hold up to oils like that all the time, and eventually get sticky/soft and wear off. 

So when we paint, we will install hardware. 

I am thinking something like this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/eneryda-handle-black-70347516/

I love those! Especially the rounded edges so little heads and my pockets won’t get caught and ripped by them. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yes - not getting caught on them is my #1 priority!

I don’t know how but once when I was unpacking in a new house I got my rear belt loop get stuck on a drawer pull and I could not move. Kids couldn’t help. I had to get DH to get me unhooked. I bet I caught myself on those stupid pulls 3 more times before I went straight to Target for rounded ones. 

Those are cute! One of the things that helped me when figuring out the length of the pulls I wanted was to tape the length onto the upper cabinets and then again on the lower drawers and see if it intuitively felt right. YMMV, but it might help you sort things out.  You might realize that you want to have different lengths in different places to break it up visually.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Those are cute! One of the things that helped me when figuring out the length of the pulls I wanted was to tape the length onto the upper cabinets and then again on the lower drawers and see if it intuitively felt right. YMMV, but it might help you sort things out.  You might realize that you want to have different lengths in different places to break it up visually.

thank you! That's a great idea!

and to install them easily - order a jig. We (dh) was able to drill all the new holes in about 30 cabinets/drawers in an hour or so. 

You don't have to paint first, btw, but it doesn't matter. Just make sure to have dh wash his hands and make sure there is no hidden grease on those hands... 

22 minutes ago, lmrich said:

and to install them easily - order a jig. We (dh) was able to drill all the new holes in about 30 cabinets/drawers in an hour or so. 

You don't have to paint first, btw, but it doesn't matter. Just make sure to have dh wash his hands and make sure there is no hidden grease on those hands... 

I ordered a jig, should be here later tonight or tomorrow morning 🙂

• Like 1

I have knobs on uppers and pulls on lowers. We just redid our hardware recently. I did a two tone rectangular steel and matte black pull and a rectangular matte black knob. I really like these knobs. Sometimes the round ones catch fingers behind them. These are easy to grab but not that big space to catch a finger.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, ktgrok said:

Which is more ergonomic/easy to open/ likely to be used rather than someone just grabbing the edge of the cabinet?

I have knobs on doors, and pulls on drawers. My cabinet doors and drawers have notches so that you don't have to grab the edge of the cabinet, and we (meaning Mr. Ellie) recently added knobs and pulls, and boy howdy, I love them. So much better even than using the notches.

I never in my life saw kitchens (and other cabinets, such as bathroom vanities and whatnot) without knobs/pulls until I moved here to Texas 18 years ago. It blew my mind that people would (1) build a house and not install knobs/pulls, or (2) buy a house without and then live with them forever, just grabbing the edge of the cabinet doors. It still blows my mind. o_0

But I digress. 🙂