Menu

Sneakers/Slip-Ons for Traveling

Soror

Still not satisfied with shoes for traveling. Last trip I finally just bought some locally after looking and giving up. Then I ended up hating them. I'm determined to try again but looking for help. I browsed on Amazon yesterday but kept coming up with them being out of my size or color I preferred.

I'm looking for something that will work with leggings/jeans/ and hiking pants.

I usually wear 8.5s but range from 8 to 9 depending on the shoe

Most likely a plain color that will work with navy, black, and gray. I don't think I want white as I don't like the look of my light gray ones with my leggings.

not canvas as I tend to find messes. 

I like low profile with plenty of room for my feet.

I do not like high arches. 

I have some slip-ons that I wear currently but they are technically boat shoes and while perfectly fine for casual day to day when I've tried to do a longer walk in them I got blisters. 

We will be doing a lot of walking so I want something comfy but reasonably stylish. I'd prefer not to look so much like a grandma or tourist.

Price range--- prefer to keep around $100

A million thank yous in advance.

Edited by Soror

1 hour ago, Spirea said:

I love my Merrill trail gloves. They're a barefoot type shoe. I keep the laces loose and always slip into them unless doing more hiking.

These look really interesting. I really like the 0 heel-toe drop. Do they have any arch support? (I find arch support annoying -- I go barefoot as much as possible -- but realize I'm probably in the minority)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GailV said:

These look really interesting. I really like the 0 heel-toe drop. Do they have any arch support? (I find arch support annoying -- I go barefoot as much as possible -- but realize I'm probably in the minority)

Some arch but pretty low profile. Do you have an REI nearby? I think they return if you don't like them, even if worn. I'd wear around the house for a few days to decide.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ericathemom said:

Really been loving my Taos sneakers. I wear them for the longest days of walking and my feet still feel fine. The tend to run right at $100 but mine have lasted a long time.

Hmmm.... I'll check them out.

14 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Thanks--- the ones I had before where like this and not comfortable for me.

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Fwiw for this climate I wear Gore-tex shoes. Usually Ecco.

I have some Gore-tex Eccos but the ones I have feel clunky and heavy and aren't the most comfortable for long distance walking. And I honestly don't really like the way they look. I wear them when I'm hiking and it's wet but never just out and about. I got them before my last trip after trying on and rejecting half a dozen others. I've looked at some other styles of theirs to see if they have any others that will work better.

17 hours ago, Spirea said:

I love my Merrill trail gloves. They're a barefoot type shoe. I keep the laces loose and always slip into them unless doing more hiking.

I had a pair of these years ago, finally threw them away after wearing holes through them. I was thinking maybe something a little less sneakerish but the tan colors aren't so bad. I'll have to think on that. I love the way Merrell's fit my feet.

• Like 1

I always follow these threads with interest hoping to find the unicorn of travelling shoes.

My Docs are my go-to, but it seems like no matter where or when we travel it’s always hot (well, I'M always hot) so I can’t wear them endlessly like I normally want to. As much as it galls me to take a second, lighter pair of shoes, I’ve finally given in to the fact that I really must.

We walk a ton on vacation and my feet are weird so I really need a new pair before trips for maximum support. Last fall I bought a pair of Danskin sneakers the day before our trip to Ireland; they aren’t my style but they are so cushy and totally saved my hot feet on all the cobbles. Cushy is better for my feet than arch support or other features, it seems. I “saved” my Docs for hiking days and mostly wore the sneakers around town. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sometimes one pair of footwear simply can't fulfill all your needs. I'd be open to bring a second pair of more dressy shoes, which are also not painful to wear. When I was walking everywhere in Paris in my comfy running shoes, I eventually broke down and bought some cute booties. I just wanted to be less 'touristy' for a while. I love my Paris booties! They are crappy for long walking, but I just love the look and memories they provide.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

I have a pair of New Balance shoes that are very lightweight and soft.  They are a cloth, but are white/grey heathered look so blend well with clothing and hide dirt.  They have some of the best tread I have come across without being hiking shoes, which I find helpful for avoiding slipping and if I will do some light hiking.  

I also like to wear a hiking-type sandal because they are lightweight, give my feet plenty of room to breathe and stretch, have good tread, and the straps are adjustable--which means if I am hiking I can tighten them up but then loosen them when I am sitting around; it also means I can adjust them for swollen feet from flying or walking, etc.

I have hard-to-fit feet so have to try things on.  I have found REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Whole Earth Provision company good places to look for travel shoes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I always follow these threads with interest hoping to find the unicorn of travelling shoes.

My Docs are my go-to, but it seems like no matter where or when we travel it’s always hot (well, I'M always hot) so I can’t wear them endlessly like I normally want to. As much as it galls me to take a second, lighter pair of shoes, I’ve finally given in to the fact that I really must.

We walk a ton on vacation and my feet are weird so I really need a new pair before trips for maximum support. Last fall I bought a pair of Danskin sneakers the day before our trip to Ireland; they aren’t my style but they are so cushy and totally saved my hot feet on all the cobbles. Cushy is better for my feet than arch support or other features, it seems. I “saved” my Docs for hiking days and mostly wore the sneakers around town. 

Right??? I look and look. Sometimes even order and return. Then I just give up. Unicorns!!! I keep reading best travel shoe lists. Maybe I'm just picky. So many I see and don't like at all. We will be walking a lot too so I want something comfy but also decently stylish since my others aren't.

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Try the Merrell Antora sneaker moc https://www.merrell.com/US/en/antora-sneaker-moc/50766W.html?srccd=HELP2099. I have the black and the burgundy-ish color. Super comfortable, but not bulky. 

Thanks for the rec!

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Sometimes one pair of footwear simply can't fulfill all your needs. I'd be open to bring a second pair of more dressy shoes, which are also not painful to wear. When I was walking everywhere in Paris in my comfy running shoes, I eventually broke down and bought some cute booties. I just wanted to be less 'touristy' for a while. I love my Paris booties! They are crappy for long walking, but I just love the look and memories they provide.

Enjoy your trip!

I will not be bringing just one pair of shoes (as minimal as I do like to pack).  

7 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I have a pair of New Balance shoes that are very lightweight and soft.  They are a cloth, but are white/grey heathered look so blend well with clothing and hide dirt.  They have some of the best tread I have come across without being hiking shoes, which I find helpful for avoiding slipping and if I will do some light hiking.  

I also like to wear a hiking-type sandal because they are lightweight, give my feet plenty of room to breathe and stretch, have good tread, and the straps are adjustable--which means if I am hiking I can tighten them up but then loosen them when I am sitting around; it also means I can adjust them for swollen feet from flying or walking, etc.

I have hard-to-fit feet so have to try things on.  I have found REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Whole Earth Provision company good places to look for travel shoes.

I'll check out the NB. I was just telling dd I need to go try some on--- I so wish we had an REI here. I was considering packing some sports sandals too but my last ones are worn out and I don't know if I have the funds for both.

• Like 1

If you're open to sandals, the Keen Rose sandals are super comfortable and they are a little trimmer/dressier than their more common hiking sandals. They come in lots of colors including dark gray, light gray, navy, and black. I have several pairs and have worn them on long trips to Greece, Italy, and Turkey, where we were walking many many miles per day, from bumpy city streets to hiking around rocky archaeological sites. The full price is ~$120, but you can sometimes find them on sale (e.g. the dark gray and neutral tan colors in size 8.5 are on Amazon for $89).

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 8.48.33 AM.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If you're open to sandals, the Keen Rose sandals are super comfortable and they are a little trimmer/dressier than their more common hiking sandals. They come in lots of colors including dark gray, light gray, navy, and black. I have several pairs and have worn them on long trips to Greece, Italy, and Turkey, where we were walking many many miles per day, from bumpy city streets to hiking around rocky archaeological sites. The full price is ~$120, but you can sometimes find them on sale (e.g. the dark gray and neutral tan colors in size 8.5 are on Amazon for $89).

....actually.... I have that exact pair but they do not work well for me for long distances. I just wore them on a 90 min hike a few weeks ago and ended up with a blister. I've never had trouble over short distances with them  but that makes me leery of packing them for all day outings. I got mine on clearance when I needed some closed toe shoes for an event or otherwise wouldn't have got them--- Keen's are a bit heavy for my tastes. I prefer much more minimal shoes but am trying to balance that with practicality.

Thank you so much for the rec!!! I'm sorry I'm hard to please.

I am light packer and only bring one pair of shoes when we travel internationally.  We all pack really light.  The only time we pack more than one is if we are planning on going to the beach a lot.  I am still just all about tennis shoes and I don't buy anything special for traveling.  I don't care about looking like a tourist overseas because I know as soon as I talk people will know.  I am also just not a fancy person, I hate being dressed up.   I started having foot issues and am all about comfort at this point.

A lot of it would be based on the temps and weather of what kind of shoe I would pick.  

20 best travel shoes: Comfortable and weather-proof | CNN Underscored

13 Best Travel Shoes for Men and Women (2022) - Road Affair

11 Best Travel Shoes for Active World Travelers (2022 MASSIVE Review) (thebrokebackpacker.com)

The 24 Best Travel Shoes: Comfortable + Stylish! (2022) (shershegoes.com)

The 19 Best Women's Walking Shoes for Travel, According to Reviewers | Travel + Leisure (travelandleisure.com)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am light packer and only bring one pair of shoes when we travel internationally.  We all pack really light.  The only time we pack more than one is if we are planning on going to the beach a lot.  I am still just all about tennis shoes and I don't buy anything special for traveling.  I don't care about looking like a tourist overseas because I know as soon as I talk people will know.  I am also just not a fancy person, I hate being dressed up.   I started having foot issues and am all about comfort at this point.

A lot of it would be based on the temps and weather of what kind of shoe I would pick.  

20 best travel shoes: Comfortable and weather-proof | CNN Underscored

13 Best Travel Shoes for Men and Women (2022) - Road Affair

11 Best Travel Shoes for Active World Travelers (2022 MASSIVE Review) (thebrokebackpacker.com)

The 24 Best Travel Shoes: Comfortable + Stylish! (2022) (shershegoes.com)

The 19 Best Women's Walking Shoes for Travel, According to Reviewers | Travel + Leisure (travelandleisure.com)

Thanks for the lists. I've not looked through all of them. I'm excited to check them out.

I won't be buying anything just for traveling. I'd like a pair regardless, traveling is just the impetus. I'm not fancy either just wanting to look a bit more put together. We do travel light. We don't do any checked bags, just whatever fits in our backpacks. Having 2 pairs means if I get some dirty or wet I have a backup while the others dry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soror said:

Thanks for the lists. I've not looked through all of them. I'm excited to check them out.

I won't be buying anything just for traveling. I'd like a pair regardless, traveling is just the impetus. I'm not fancy either just wanting to look a bit more put together. We do travel light. We don't do any checked bags, just whatever fits in our backpacks. Having 2 pairs means if I get some dirty or wet I have a backup while the others dry.

We pack only carry ons and all the times we have traveled overseas for weeks at a time we have only packed either in half a roll on carry on suitcase per person or a half a regular backpack per person.  Even with babies in diapers that we brought them all.  We way over packed for our first airplane trip out west and said never again.  It was just to hard with dh and doing most of the lugging when the kids were little.  Even when we pack in half a carry on per person, we pack to much and have clothes we never wear.  We all could fit another pair of shoes in half a side, but unless our vacation is something that would require a different shoe, we usually don't.  The only time we had a problem was being caught in a rainstorm in Venice and the streets flooded and we had to walk home in high water.   We all still do the half carry on suitcase thing even though 5 of us are adult size.  I want to keep packing less until I get to the point that I wear all the clothes on a trip.  I still haven't gotten there. 

If I wanted to look dressier I would probably just get a pair of black shoes that looked a bit less like tennis shoes

• Like 1

These Teva sandals are my all-time favorites, and I feel like I’ve tried them all!

FWIW, here’s my breakdown to see how it compares to your needs. My feet are flat and I need room to spread my toes, but I don’t have wide feet. 

Birkenstocks—too stiff/hurt my arch

Keen—too heavy and cover too much of my feet

chaco—arch too high

Olu Kai—too heavy and the arch doesn’t hit my arch in the right spot 

Teva Mush—too squishy and soft 

If I had a trip coming up with a ton of walking, whether it be an amusement park or hiking, I’d take two pairs of shoes—those Tevas and my Brooks Adrenaline.

Good luck finding your unicorn!🦄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We pack only carry ons and all the times we have traveled overseas for weeks at a time we have only packed either in half a roll on carry on suitcase per person or a half a regular backpack per person.  Even with babies in diapers that we brought them all.  We way over packed for our first airplane trip out west and said never again.  It was just to hard with dh and doing most of the lugging when the kids were little.  Even when we pack in half a carry on per person, we pack to much and have clothes we never wear.  We all could fit another pair of shoes in half a side, but unless our vacation is something that would require a different shoe, we usually don't.  The only time we had a problem was being caught in a rainstorm in Venice and the streets flooded and we had to walk home in high water.   We all still do the half carry on suitcase thing even though 5 of us are adult size.  I want to keep packing less until I get to the point that I wear all the clothes on a trip.  I still haven't gotten there. 

If I wanted to look dressier I would probably just get a pair of black shoes that looked a bit less like tennis shoes

How many outfits do you bring you can't wear them all in multiple weeks? Last trip we took 3 pants and I think 4 tops, combo of long and short. I wore everything. That worked really well for us. I don't want to do laundry any more than that. We'll be doing the same since it worked well for us then. Our kids will be 9, 12, 15, and 17 so they can all carry their own backpacks. The youngest will have a kid size one but everyone else regular adult.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Why not buy something you've had before and know how you know that you like? It's hard to buy something sight unseen. Amazon is not always the best place either.  Is there a store that you've purchased from before that you've had good luck with shoes? 

Lol if I knew that I would be set!

27 minutes ago, mmasc said:

These Teva sandals are my all-time favorites, and I feel like I’ve tried them all!

FWIW, here’s my breakdown to see how it compares to your needs. My feet are flat and I need room to spread my toes, but I don’t have wide feet. 

Birkenstocks—too stiff/hurt my arch

Keen—too heavy and cover too much of my feet

chaco—arch too high

Olu Kai—too heavy and the arch doesn’t hit my arch in the right spot 

Teva Mush—too squishy and soft 

If I had a trip coming up with a ton of walking, whether it be an amusement park or hiking, I’d take two pairs of shoes—those Tevas and my Brooks Adrenaline.

Good luck finding your unicorn!🦄

Your reviews sound eerily similar to my own thoughts on the ones I've tried. Coincidentally I was just looking at those Teva. I had some cheap knockoffs that I loved but they are coming apart. But I don't love the brooks as much as Merrells. I bought some when I bought my last exercise shoes. I need to test them out more during long days of walking.

• Like 1

When my kids were little they had the little-kid version of these as their unisex dress-code-compliant good-on-the-playground too shoes, and somewhere in those years I started getting them for myself. I wear them for ~5 years as airplane shoes, walk around cities & museums &  ruins shoes... and when they start to show some wear I buy another identical pair and downgrade the old pair to gardening shoes where I get another ~5 years of wear out of them. I wouldn't claim they look especially fashionable with dresses, but they're ok with leggings especially if you pick the right socks.

Back when we used to fly carryon-only, my rule was generally I WORE the Merrells on the plane (easly slip off/on through security); and I took one additional pair in the carryon (fancy or hiking or whatever other particular if circumstances called for particular; if not some sort of glorified fancy flipflop that looks OK with skirt/dress and can also do the job of wandering to the hotel pool etc).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soror said:

How many outfits do you bring you can't wear them all in multiple weeks? Last trip we took 3 pants and I think 4 tops, combo of long and short. I wore everything. That worked really well for us. I don't want to do laundry any more than that. We'll be doing the same since it worked well for us then. Our kids will be 9, 12, 15, and 17 so they can all carry their own backpacks. The youngest will have a kid size one but everyone else regular adult.

Lol if I knew that I would be set!

Your reviews sound eerily similar to my own thoughts on the ones I've tried. Coincidentally I was just looking at those Teva. I had some cheap knockoffs that I loved but they are coming apart. But I don't love the brooks as much as Merrells. I bought some when I bought my last exercise shoes. I need to test them out more during long days of walking.

I don't know we don't pack in outfits.  I usually just fill up my half of a rolling suitcase.  And I always have lots of clothes I haven't worn.  We always stay some where we can do laundry.  But we wear things more than once too. I just need to stop myself from filling up my side of the carryon suitcase.  I never need that much.  

We did backpacks once with the kids internationally and we all just used regular kid school backpacks.  Nothing huge.  But we hated the backpacks and have a much better time with suitcases unless you are taking them on a long walk.  We all just hated having the weight of the backpacks on us. We didn't fill our backpacks full either and had room for lots of souvenirs.  And I would have the youngest in with me. 

Anyway for shoes I am just a bring my regular tennis shoes and then Chacos if we are doing a ton of beach time.

5 hours ago, Soror said:

I travel light, but I have to have more than one pair of shoes.  No matter how comfortable my shoes are, I need to rotate and let me shoes totally dry out and my feet recuperate from where one pair rubs between wearings.  I also need something with very good support and tread if I will be doing any hiking, but those shoes tend to be too hot and heavy for a lot of city walking, touring museums, etc.  And, I have had things happen--such as a strap break or torrential rain and my shoes are soaked, when I am glad I have had a backup.  I have a hard to fit foot--so just grabbing a new pair on the road if I need one isn't a good option.  And, hurting feet will make my trip miserable, so I take as little chances with that as possible.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

When my kids were little they had the little-kid version of these as their unisex dress-code-compliant good-on-the-playground too shoes, and somewhere in those years I started getting them for myself. I wear them for ~5 years as airplane shoes, walk around cities & museums &  ruins shoes... and when they start to show some wear I buy another identical pair and downgrade the old pair to gardening shoes where I get another ~5 years of wear out of them. I wouldn't claim they look especially fashionable with dresses, but they're ok with leggings especially if you pick the right socks.

Back when we used to fly carryon-only, my rule was generally I WORE the Merrells on the plane (easly slip off/on through security); and I took one additional pair in the carryon (fancy or hiking or whatever other particular if circumstances called for particular; if not some sort of glorified fancy flipflop that looks OK with skirt/dress and can also do the job of wandering to the hotel pool etc).

My husband wears the male equivalent of these as in-house shoes. He finds them really comfortable and supportive. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I travel light, but I have to have more than one pair of shoes.  No matter how comfortable my shoes are, I need to rotate and let me shoes totally dry out and my feet recuperate from where one pair rubs between wearings.  I also need something with very good support and tread if I will be doing any hiking, but those shoes tend to be too hot and heavy for a lot of city walking, touring museums, etc.  And, I have had things happen--such as a strap break or torrential rain and my shoes are soaked, when I am glad I have had a backup.  I have a hard to fit foot--so just grabbing a new pair on the road if I need one isn't a good option.  And, hurting feet will make my trip miserable, so I take as little chances with that as possible.  

Yes! I will be bringing my Ecco's for hiking and rainy days but they are heavier than I like to wear. They sure do a great job keeping my feet dry. My feet prefer lighter more minimal shoes that just aren't practical for all the time. I want a different pair for touring cities. My last tennis shoes I bought are Brook's but I don't love them. I don't love the way they look or feel. It is so hard to get a good idea how something will feel for a whole day without testing them out like that. I'll get my use out of them exercising but I'd prefer to bring something else for long days of walking. I always end up compromising in some way--- usually because I can't find exactly what I want (and I finally give up) or I'm too cheap to buy it. I would like to find some that I love the way they look AND feel. And after/before vaca I'll have some to use for errands around town. 

14 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I love my Merrell jungle mocs. Great for everyday as well as for travelling. (camping. Work. Church.)

14 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

I love Merrell's but don't love those. I looked at the rest of their line but am not finding a slip on they have that I do love. 

• Like 1

I was looking again at the Taos mentioned upthread and noticed there is a place that sells them in dh's college town. I live fairly rurally so a lot of these brands I can't try on/see locally. I think I'll go with him to college this week or next and see and try some on in person- this store has Taos, Eccos, Merrel's, Sorel, and several more brands I've looked at. That would be easier than combing through all the product lines and ordering half a dozen. There are a pair of Eccos and Taos that I think I like but lots of times I think I like things until I see them in person- and see how they feel on my feet.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

I wore black Sketchers Go Walk 5 shoes for several vacations with lots of walking and they were great for me. I know you said you tried them but don't know if you tried the Go Walk ones. There are several Sketchers I took back because they rubbed wrong, but I've had good luck with the Go Walk 5. 

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2

I take my chacos, vibram 5 fingers, and a pair of comfortable slip on flats with me whenever I travel and that usually covers most bases. Chacos will probably be too much arch support for you, though. I wear the comfortable slip on flats at the airport to go through security.

We travel standby when we fly and so, like you, have to pack pretty lightly.

ETA: The vibrams are often a talking point that break the ice with people while traveling. People find them very funny looking. LOL! I 

Edited by importswim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you considered something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XJPYQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

They are lighter than air, I'm not kidding! If you need arch support, they won't be good for you, though. I wear a size 8-9 depending on the shoe, and these are perfect for me in the 9. The 8.5 was a little too low in the front and I felt like my toes were being smooshed. I like taking these on vacation because they are so lightweight and easy to pack. They are also good to wear on the plane because they look like they tie, but they are actually slip-ons.

Edited by Catwoman
Edited because I told you all about them, then forgot to add the link!
  • Like 2

So, I went to the shoe store Monday. I was there 2 hours. Tried on at least a dozen shoes. Looked at dozens more. They had several of the brands mentioned here and more--- Eccos, Taos, Birkenstock, Olukai, Vionic, On, Hoka, Dansko, Clark's. Chaco, Merrel (limited supply), Oboz, Keen..... A LOT of shoes. I finally settled on the On Clouds, which were not even on my list of those I wanted to try but they were comfortable. The Taos I really liked but didn't feel good on my feet- the arch was too high on some and the heel was slipping on others. I didn't like the look of the Eccos in person. Rinse and repeat for the rest.

AND I get them home and I don't like them with other outfits. This is why I give up. Sigh..... Now, I'm considering having my husband return them because I feel so bad I was there so long. And it was a store where they have to get the shoes for you. Oh, how I hate that, so very, very much. I feel like Pretty Women shopping (before she has all the money).

Yesterday, I looked at another local store-- Sketcher's, Nike, Adidas, and a handful of others I can't remember. The Sketcher's they had I didn't like. They didn't have the kind @Catwoman mentioned. Looking at them and reading reviews I think they will likely be too wide (I have narrow feet) and without a way to tighten them likely won't work but I'll keep an eye out at other stores.

• Sad 4

Well, that’s a bummer. Could you keep the On Cloud since they’re actually comfortable to you and wear them with the outfits you DO like them with? Or is it just like one outfit or something? Then maybe try to find a different shoe for the other outfits? (Like a sport sandal or something??)

Just brainstorming...ignore if it’s not helpful!

Eta: these are over your desired budget, but did you happen to try these Eccos on? 

Edited by mmasc
Add link

3 hours ago, Soror said:

So, I went to the shoe store Monday. I was there 2 hours. Tried on at least a dozen shoes. Looked at dozens more. They had several of the brands mentioned here and more--- Eccos, Taos, Birkenstock, Olukai, Vionic, On, Hoka, Dansko, Clark's. Chaco, Merrel (limited supply), Oboz, Keen..... A LOT of shoes. I finally settled on the On Clouds, which were not even on my list of those I wanted to try but they were comfortable. The Taos I really liked but didn't feel good on my feet- the arch was too high on some and the heel was slipping on others. I didn't like the look of the Eccos in person. Rinse and repeat for the rest.

AND I get them home and I don't like them with other outfits. This is why I give up. Sigh..... Now, I'm considering having my husband return them because I feel so bad I was there so long. And it was a store where they have to get the shoes for you. Oh, how I hate that, so very, very much. I feel like Pretty Women shopping (before she has all the money).

Yesterday, I looked at another local store-- Sketcher's, Nike, Adidas, and a handful of others I can't remember. The Sketcher's they had I didn't like. They didn't have the kind @Catwoman mentioned. Looking at them and reading reviews I think they will likely be too wide (I have narrow feet) and without a way to tighten them likely won't work but I'll keep an eye out at other stores.

If you have very narrow feet, you’re right that the ones I suggested probably will be too wide. I have narrow heels and the heels on those shoes are loose on me too, but they’re soft in the back so I can get away with them. That you are right that there is no way to tighten them, so unless you buy a pair on Amazon with free returns, I wouldn’t take the chance on them.

I'm a fan of Chacos. I just bought these slip-ons... they look like boat shoes. They're extremely light and comfortable. 

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/ojai-3-eye/48939W.html?dwvar_48939W_color=JCH108950#cgid=women-footwear-shoes&start=1

I have hiking/walking shoes from them too, really enjoy! I've read that they're good for people that need arch support. 

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/sidetrek/44344W.html?dwvar_44344W_color=JCH107872#cgid=women-footwear-shoes&start=1

Maybe you can find more sizes on a different site. 

I can't decide if I could pull these off. I like them though!

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/barbary/22325W.html?dwvar_22325W_color=J106392#cgid=women-footwear-boots&start=1

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I'm a fan of Chacos. I just bought these slip-ons... they look like boat shoes. They're extremely light and comfortable. 

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/ojai-3-eye/48939W.html?dwvar_48939W_color=JCH108950#cgid=women-footwear-shoes&start=1

I have hiking/walking shoes from them too, really enjoy! I've read that they're good for people that need arch support. 

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/sidetrek/44344W.html?dwvar_44344W_color=JCH107872#cgid=women-footwear-shoes&start=1

Maybe you can find more sizes on a different site. 

I can't decide if I could pull these off. I like them though!

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/barbary/22325W.html?dwvar_22325W_color=J106392#cgid=women-footwear-boots&start=1

I have had my Chaco sandals for over 20 years and they are still going strong.  I had no clue they made shoes.  Do they hold up as long as the sandals? 

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have had my Chaco sandals for over 20 years and they are still going strong.  I had no clue they made shoes.  Do they hold up as long as the sandals? 

I'm not sure! I've had the walking shoes for about a year, and the slip ons for just a few weeks.