Menu

Another $ question. The Narnia series literature study?

Night Elf

When my ds25 was a freshman in high school, we used the curriculum Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. It was so good!! I just told DH I might buy it for me and him to do together again. Our whole family did the LOTR study and we had such a good time with it. 

I have never read the Narnia series in its entirety. I know I read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was young, but I don't recall reading any of the other books. I want a good literary breakdown as I read it.

I looked for something but I don't know what's best. Do you have a recommendation?

40 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Oh, I would just read it, no study. I don't know why you'd need a literary breakdown. o_0 Just read it, in the original publication order.

I know it has a Christian theme but I will never be able to pull it out by myself. All I know is that Aslan is supposed to be like Jesus but just how all of that is woven into the books is what I want to know. I can't depend on DH to help because he has no interest in thinking Christian anything. 

11 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Are you sure you should be buying more curriculum right now? 

I’m only asking because you said your dh wants you to stop buying so much. 

I actually found one to try. It was only $5.99 for the first book and he said that was okay. I'm still hoping someone will suggest something as wonderful as Literary Lessons from LOTR, but this will do for now. The site has lots of literature guides for $6 each. If I like this one, I'll have found a wonderful way to  read literature with help. I'm used to reading brain candy. I have never understood the deeper meanings of books or poetry. I always thought my teachers were crazy to want to dig so deeply into a book. I figured we should just read it and be done with it. I no longer feel that way. I want to know what I'm reading and why the author wrote it the way he/she did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Momto6inIN said:

The Christian themes in Narnia are sooooo obvious that I can't imagine anyone reasonably informed about Christainity not being able to figure it out! 🙂 

I think I even saw a meme somewhere about it, I'll see if I can find it.

I'm admitting my ignorance here, but I usually read kids' books instead of adult books because I can follow them better. I'm currently reading The Chronicles of Prydain and really enjoying them. I also have a series called the Max and Liz series about a dog and cat who help the "maker" do things. The first book was about them being on the ark with all the animals and Noah's family and solving a mystery. Book two that I just started is about the story of Joseph. They are fabulous books. Very well written.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I know it has a Christian theme but I will never be able to pull it out by myself. All I know is that Aslan is supposed to be like Jesus but just how all of that is woven into the books is what I want to know. I can't depend on DH to help because he has no interest in thinking Christian anything. 

It's a series written for kids with the target age of about 8.  It is not REMOTELY subtle.  Trust me, you would pull out the Christian themes all by yourself.  My five year old did.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Do you have a local library? That might be a good resource for you. There are also lots of things online that could give you some interpretation.

Yes but my library doesn't have many of the books I need. I'm using Biblioplan for History and I'm totally surprised that my library system doesn't have some of the suggested books.

• Like 1

Just now, Terabith said:

It's a series written for kids with the target age of about 8.  It is not REMOTELY subtle.  Trust me, you would pull out the Christian themes all by yourself.  My five year old did.  

Good, that makes me feel better. 

• Like 1

Prydain is great! The good thing about Narnia is they are so well studied online that you can read essay after study guide after discussion question set about the series and be busy for a year, for free. It's more fun that way too because you get a wider variety of viewpoints

• Like 4

Just now, Ceilingfan said:

Prydain is great! The good thing about Narnia is they are so well studied online that you can read essay after study guide after discussion question set about the series and be busy for a year, for free. It's more fun that way too because you get a wider variety of viewpoints

Plus I can come here and ask my dumb questions. lol

So is the witch supposed to be Satan? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Yes but my library doesn't have many of the books I need. I'm using Biblioplan for History and I'm totally surprised that my library system doesn't have some of the suggested books.

Can you borrow from other libraries? Here in Georgia I can borrow from any library in the PINES system. Super easy-and tons of selection! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceilingfan said:

Well I'm not Christian, so I'd have to deliberately study the religious allegory to have any clue, lol.

Ah, oh well. I'm going to start reading tonight while I'm awake in the wee a.m. hours. I get a surprising amount of schoolwork done in the middle night thanks to my chronic insomnia. This is why I needed so much curriculum. I had several Christian studies going at one time and watching several sermons online as well. I love my God and learning about the Bible but I really needed to branch out to some other subjects.

I'm doing Algebra and need my DH's help a lot. My ds23's girlfriend tutors high school and college math so she offered to help me if my DH frustrates me too much, which he does. He doesn't understand why I don't just get these concepts. My brain simply doesn't think that way! And word problems? Oy!!

24 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I'm admitting my ignorance here, but I usually read kids' books instead of adult books because I can follow them better. I'm currently reading The Chronicles of Prydain and really enjoying them. I also have a series called the Max and Liz series about a dog and cat who help the "maker" do things. The first book was about them being on the ark with all the animals and Noah's family and solving a mystery. Book two that I just started is about the story of Joseph. They are fabulous books. Very well written.

I LOVE Jenny Cote's books. And both of my kids do too. (My son has read the entire series.) I'm almost done with The Prophet, The Shepherd and the Star

6 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I LOVE Jenny Cote's books. And both of my kids do too. (My son has read the entire series.) I'm almost done with The Prophet, The Shepherd and the Star

I now want a dog named Max. He's an awesome character. Glad to hear I'm not the only adult reading this series and thoroughly enjoying it. 

Night Elf are you familiar with the literary life podcast?  This is a fantastic free resource that covers a tonne of literature including a bit by CS Lewis. I feel like you could get so much of the education you’re looking for by listening and reading along with that without spending much at all. It does have Christian viewpoint but I assume that won’t worry you given you want to read Narnia. There’s almost two years worth now so you could get a tonne of lit education done without spending a cent. 

• Like 4

Just now, Harriet Vane said:

Beth, I have a degree in English and I love the Narnia books with a burning passion. I will answer any questions you've got, any time.

Thank you!! I may take you up on that! Hopefully I won't be like a child saying But why? all the time. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Night Elf are you familiar with the literary life podcast?  This is a fantastic free resource that covers a tonne of literature including a bit by CS Lewis. I feel like you could get so much of the education you’re looking for by listening and reading along with that without spending much at all. It does have Christian viewpoint but I assume that won’t worry you given you want to read Narnia. There’s almost two years worth now so you could get a tonne of lit education done without spending a cent. 

Yes, I learned about it here. I'm so excited they're going to be doing The Wind in the Willows sometime soon. I'll most certainly do that one! That's one of my favorite books. I read the entire series. It went downhill though. The last two books were not so magical for me.

• Like 1

I'm in GA. What is the PINES system?

If you’re in the metro Atlanta area you can’t use it. But the rest of us can. It’s basically the rest of the state’s libraries willing to loan to each other. It helps smaller library systems provide a wider variety of books to its patrons.  It’s interlibrary loan. Worth asking about in your library if you’re not in metro Atlanta.  But even in metro ATL there is an interlibrary loan system, I believe. 
PINES is awesome. I request books and they deliver to my local library. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

If you’re in the metro Atlanta area you can’t use it. But the rest of us can. It’s basically the rest of the state’s libraries willing to loan to each other. It helps smaller library systems provide a wider variety of books to its patrons.  It’s interlibrary loan. Worth asking about in your library if you’re not in metro Atlanta.  But even in metro ATL there is an interlibrary loan system, I believe. 
PINES is awesome. I request books and they deliver to my local library. 

My DH said it would depend on which definition they were using of Metro Atlanta. He says we're in it, but maybe not. I'm in Forsyth County. I'll ask my library about it tomorrow. I'm picking up some requested books. We have 4 libraries in our system I think.

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This sounds fabulous. I need to look into it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

My DH said it would depend on which definition they were using of Metro Atlanta. He says we're in it, but maybe not. I'm in Forsyth County. I'll ask my library about it tomorrow. I'm picking up some requested books. We have 4 libraries in our system I think.

Bummer. My sister lives in Forsyth and it’s not part of PINES.  But there are several libraries in the county and they’ll send a book to yours. 

58 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Plus I can come here and ask my dumb questions. lol

So is the witch supposed to be Satan? 

It's not exactly a 1 to 1 analogy quite like that. More big picture, themes of redemption, sacrifice etc. I suppose you could argue the analogy, she does say "every traitor belongs to me..." that sounds like a thesis to explore in an essay - I'm sure someone has done it if you google 😄

Honestly, you'll enjoy them more if you don't over analyse them. Lewis is wonderful IMO. I am rereading through the series with my youngers at the moment they're still great! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Bummer. My sister lives in Forsyth and it’s not part of PINES.  But there are several libraries in the county and they’ll send a book to yours. 

Yes, I do get books from the other libraries sent to my home library. That is why I'm picking up my requested books tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Night Elf said:

You don't have to "pull it out." Just read it. When you read it, then you'll see how Jesus is in all the books. Just read the books. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LMD said:

It's not exactly a 1 to 1 analogy quite like that. More big picture, themes of redemption, sacrifice etc. I suppose you could argue the analogy, she does say "every traitor belongs to me..." that sounds like a thesis to explore in an essay - I'm sure someone has done it if you google 😄

Honestly, you'll enjoy them more if you don't over analyse them. Lewis is wonderful IMO. I am rereading through the series with my youngers at the moment they're still great! 

I agree. The witch has some parallels with Satan in that she is not actually Narnian (Satan is not human, not from this world) and she has powers she chooses to use for evil. And yes, she does claim that "every traitor belongs to me." Later in the series, though, another character plays a similar role (Tash), and the parallels of Tash to Satan are even more striking. The witch is able to be vanquished. Anyone could kill her, though most are not skilled enough to succeed. Tash, on the other hand, is presented as being on a whole different plane of existence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Night Elf said:

CS Lewis is so completely obvious about that that it smacks you in the face. It is impossible not to "get".

13 hours ago, Night Elf said:

Same here. I pretty much only enjoy kids books.

17 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I hope so or I will be majorly discouraged and feel even dumber than I feel now. 😞

Narnia goes so far as to have Aslan tell the children that he is teaching them now that they can see him better in the other world.  You will be fine. Lion Witch and Wardrobe is the most blatant, if I recall right.

• Like 1

I hope so or I will be majorly discouraged and feel even dumber than I feel now. 😞

We are all wired differently.  Please try not to feel hindered by the thought that "this is supposed to be obvious".  I can imagine there are people on this board who could say it wasn't obvious to them.

I think they're enjoyable books that you'll like a lot.  If you enjoy focusing on the Christian themes that's great but if you don't that's great too!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ceilingfan said:

Well I'm not Christian, so I'd have to deliberately study the religious allegory to have any clue, lol.

Same. I was well into adulthood before I heard that there was a religious component to the books (probably here, because there’s nowhere else in my life it would come up). I had no idea. 🤷‍♀️

DS never read them.

• Like 2