Menu

Mental health, medication when pandemic is the cause

Ting Tang

A pill won’t make the pandemic go away, but I have been struggling with anxiety, stress to the point I feel tension in my chest a good part of the day,like a panic attack. My body aches, face hurts—I wear a night guard for grinding and get Botox to relax my facial muscles.  I tend to have this personality to begin with. When I was in my 20s, I tried Paxil but went off it right away. No counseling will fix me right now.  I will be better when this is over and can return to normal stress. I think I’m anxious, stressed, depressed, etc. Have any of you tried medication during the pandemic?

• Like 1

I ended up going back on Prozac. I also have a prescription for Xanax. I found my anxiety lessened a good deal after each vaccination and the booster shot, but it started increasing again with Omicron. It hasn't been as bad as it was in the beginning of the pandemic though. I take stress and anxiety very seriously because it has a negative effect on multiple sclerosis. Stress and anxiety combined with illness are the perfect recipe for a relapse, so I wanted to be very proactive by going back on Prozac and not being afraid to use Xanax when I need to. I also use meditation and various breathing exercises as well as exercise to help manage the anxiety. They do help! I hope you find some relief.

• Like 5

I think that when there is a crisis situation going on, you do what you need to do to survive. I'm honestly flabbergasted we ALL are not on meds at this point. I have a doctor's appt later this year and may bring it up myself - I did earlier on in the pandemic but my doctor at the time was not a fan. He moved away and I think the new one will take it more seriously. 

As for experiences in general my DH was like you described, and got on medication and his life got SO much better. He's honestly SO much happier and more resilient. More resilient is probably the best way to describe it. He still gets upset when bad stuff happens but can enjoy the good stuff without worrying about future bad stuff constantly. And when bad stuff does happen he doesn't catastrophize anymore. 

do what works. 

We all were designed/evolved for an entirely different environment then we are in  already, regarding size of community, natural lighting, diet, level of exercise, constant news of disasters around the world, steady stream of electronic noises and needs etc etc etc. WE are in a man made world and that means a man made solution may be needed. Add in the pandemic and yeah....do what works. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It doesn’t matter the cause, treatment is in order. It’s not like this is the last crisis you will experience. The gold standard is counseling + medication. If you get enough counseling to help you handle future situations, you could consider getting off the meds after consulting with your doctor and counselor/therapist. It’s a chicken and egg. The brain is off chemically and causing symptoms or the symptoms are causing the chemistry to be off. Either way, get help.

• Like 5

It’s definitely worth talking to your doctor about. Also, needing medication to help you through a difficult time (whatever it is) doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll need to be on medicine forever. Taking antidepressants CAN be for situational depression, as opposed to a lifelong history of depression. Talking with a therapist in conjunction with the meds can help even more. 

• Like 5

I went on medication for several months after my dad and brother died (many years ago). I knew what the cause of my depression was and knew it would get better but the medication was super helpful. My youngest started anxiety meds recently. The pandemic just made the anxiety they were already dealing with worse so we opted for medication and therapy for the time being. It’s definitely helping.

• Like 4

What you're describing sounds like symptoms that need to be addressed and treated.

The situation of the world is hard. Experiencing intense anxiety and stress is also hard in its own way on our bodies and hearts and minds, and we all need to be looking for ways to take care of ourselves right now. Getting evaluated and treated for your symptoms seems like good self care to me, and I agree with previous posters that when medication is indicated it's exponentially more effective with good talk therapy.

When life feels more manageable you can reevaluate and decide if treatment is a support you want to continue with, or something that helped you weather this particularly challenging time. 

Also can I say thank you for listening to how you're feeling and taking care of your heart?  I think the whole world needs more of that.  

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 5

Thank you all for your very thoughtful responses.  I think this is what I need to do right now.  I know mental health has been a big concern with the pandemic, and I already know for myself, that I have the perfect personality to make it even worse on top of how bad things feel for everyone.  I am wondering if a primary care doctor would be willing to prescribe it over the phone or via a telehealth visit?  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

Thank you all for your very thoughtful responses.  I think this is what I need to do right now.  I know mental health has been a big concern with the pandemic, and I already know for myself, that I have the perfect personality to make it even worse on top of how bad things feel for everyone.  I am wondering if a primary care doctor would be willing to prescribe it over the phone or via a telehealth visit?  

I think a lot depends on the relationship you have with your PCP. Like are you a long(ish) term patient, etc. I hope yours will work with you.

• Like 1

Ok, I will be the dissenter here. I listened to this board many years ago and told my doc.  and my primary care doc prescribed me lexapro. WORST DECISION EVER.  Later when I went to a a psych, he did genetic testing and that was the worst drug I could have been on. I was  never suicidal, just not dealing with life events well.  But that drug made me suicidal. It also made my son suicidal when they put him on it.  

So meds have the potential to make things much, much worse if you are not carefully monitored. I know you don't want therapy, but this will not be a quick fix.  The idea that you can take a pill and just go back to feeling normal is a fantasy. 

I am not anti-drugs. They can definitely help, IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE AND YOU ARE CLOSELY MONITORED. But there are also likely coping strategies needed.  You cannot just take a pill and fix what you are experiencing. 

Sorry you are going through this. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

My neurologist was ok prescribing Prozac over the phone, but I had to go see her for a refill for Xanax. She couldn't refill as I hadn't seen her in over a year, and by law I had to be seen first. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, I will be the dissenter here. I listened to this board many years ago and told my doc.  and my primary care doc prescribed me lexapro. WORST DECISION EVER.  Later when I went to a a psych, he did genetic testing and that was the worst drug I could have been on. I was  never suicidal, just not dealing with life events well.  But that drug made me suicidal. It also made my son suicidal when they put him on it.  

So meds have the potential to make things much, much worse if you are not carefully monitored. I know you don't want therapy, but this will not be a quick fix.  The idea that you can take a pill and just go back to feeling normal is a fantasy. 

I am not anti-drugs. They can definitely help, IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE AND YOU ARE CLOSELY MONITORED. But there are also likely coping strategies needed.  You cannot just take a pill and fix what you are experiencing. 

Thank you so much for sharing.  Well, I got the "yawn" really bad with Paxil.  Apparently yawning is a side effect with that, and it was a low dose.  I certainly wouldn't want to be in a worse situation. These are good thoughts, though.  I think another issue is living with someone who doesn't see things the same way.  We will never see eye to eye on this whole pandemic thing.  😞  I honestly believe he is trying to catch omicron, and then I read about little kids getting bad fevers, and it scares me.  That adds to my stress.

10 minutes ago, dsmith said:

My neurologist was ok prescribing Prozac over the phone, but I had to go see her for a refill for Xanax. She couldn't refill as I hadn't seen her in over a year, and by law I had to be seen first. 

I haven't been seen in a long time, either.  😞  I'll have to find out if there is a safe way to do this.

Just now, KrisTom said:

Thank you so much for sharing.  Well, I got the "yawn" really bad with Paxil.  Apparently yawning is a side effect with that, and it was a low dose.  I certainly wouldn't want to be in a worse situation. These are good thoughts, though.  I think another issue is living with someone who doesn't see things the same way.  We will never see eye to eye on this whole pandemic thing.  😞  I honestly believe he is trying to catch omicron, and then I read about little kids getting bad fevers, and it scares me.  That adds to my stress.

Yes, and your differences will not go away when the pandemic ends. Promise. So you need coping strategies. 

Just now, KrisTom said:

I haven't been seen in a long time, either.  😞  I'll have to find out if there is a safe way to do this.

I only use N95 masks for any in-person visits. I was shocked when I got to her office and nobody was masked except me! I figured if 3 people stayed with my father-in-law for 5 hours as he was dying from Covid and nobody was infected then a 15 minute doctor visit would be ok. I wasn't happy about it though!! 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

My ( long term) anti anxiety meds have meant I don't obsess (mostly) about Covid. I think I am pretty well adjusted to the pandemic, and I attribute it all to meds. 

Me too - my PCP upped my lexapro dose when we went back to school 8/2020. Prior to that, I had been starting the process of weaning off. She was great and said I should up my dose until the pandemic was over and that this isn't a time to go off of meds. Also mentioned that the majority of her patients were now on anxiety/depression meds due to the pandemic.  They've helped me not catastrophize or spiral, I think. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Two of my relatives have had disastrous experiences with Lexapro. One of them got suicidal thoughts and the other felt like a zombie and 10,000x worse mentally than before Lexapro. Both of them were so relieved to stop taking it.

47 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Me too - my PCP upped my lexapro dose when we went back to school 8/2020. Prior to that, I had been starting the process of weaning off. She was great and said I should up my dose until the pandemic was over and that this isn't a time to go off of meds. Also mentioned that the majority of her patients were now on anxiety/depression meds due to the pandemic.  They've helped me not catastrophize or spiral, I think. 

Same.

GP looked at me in horror when I mentioned weaning off. She said, oh no, we won't do that now. Sensible woman.

I find meds help with obsessive thoughts, in general, which is a big help in a pandemic! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Same.

GP looked at me in horror when I mentioned weaning off. She said, oh no, we won't do that now. Sensible woman.

I find meds help with obsessive thoughts, in general, which is a big help in a pandemic! 

Yep! That's about exactly what mine said. I think I would have quit my job last year if I wasn't taking meds! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Two of my relatives have had disastrous experiences with Lexapro. One of them got suicidal thoughts and the other felt like a zombie and 10,000x worse mentally than before Lexapro. Both of them were so relieved to stop taking it.

My middle child calls says that drug is from Satan.  He gets so mad.  That said, obviously, it works for some people. But my doc just gave it to me and  I had no follow-up. Someone should have been checking on me at least biweekly.  I would just hate to have OP have some wimpy telemedicine video appointment and then the doc prescribes. Then nothing until maybe a year later when she needs refills.  Just isn't wise or safe. 

6 hours ago, KrisTom said:

I am wondering if a primary care doctor would be willing to prescribe it over the phone or via a telehealth visit?  

I've had family members be started on psychiatric medications by a psychiatrist who has only been seen via telehealth. They have had good, frequent monitoring when starting up. I would do that rather than a PCP, if you are able to get an appointment.

2 hours ago, MooCow said:

One would think a low dose benzo would help.....

I wouldn't ever suggest a benzo as something to be taken on a regular basis. They do not work if taken long term, but by the time the effect wears off, people can't stop taking them, because not taking them causes strong rebound anxiety which requires people to take the benzo again in order to stave off. But at that point, they are medicating the withdrawal symptoms, not the original anxiety. Super frustrating medication for people to try to get off of.

40 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I think for all of those you do have to have an in person visit.  Thank you drug wars.

It's not drug wars, it's due to all the irresponsible prescribing of benzos for people to take for long periods of time, such that they can never stop them. Fortunately, many doctors (but not all) are being more careful with them now. They aren't the right medication for ongoing anxiety. They are suited for occasional, situational anxiety.

Yes, I do have a lot of bitterness about benzos due to their effects on an extended family member and everything I have learned about them while trying to help them when they have tried to wean off.

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I've had family members be started on psychiatric medications by a psychiatrist who has only been seen via telehealth. They have had good, frequent monitoring when starting up. I would do that rather than a PCP, if you are able to get an appointment.

I wouldn't ever suggest a benzo as something to be taken on a regular basis. They do not work if taken long term, but by the time the effect wears off, people can't stop taking them, because not taking them causes strong rebound anxiety which requires people to take the benzo again in order to stave off. But at that point, they are medicating the withdrawal symptoms, not the original anxiety. Super frustrating medication for people to try to get off of.

It's not drug wars, it's due to all the irresponsible prescribing of benzos for people to take for long periods of time, such that they can never stop them. Fortunately, many doctors (but not all) are being more careful with them now. They aren't the right medication for ongoing anxiety. They are suited for occasional, situational anxiety.

Yes, I do have a lot of bitterness about benzos due to their effects on an extended family member and everything I have learned about them while trying to help them when they have tried to wean off.

I can't even get a prescription for 3 benzos.  And I have been on a benzo before as a muscle relaxant when I couldn't move my neck almost at all.  Taking like 3 or 4 over a few days did the trick.  My hydroxyzine normally is good enough plus it has the additional benefit of helping my allergies and lowering bp.  But I have had maybe about 2 or 3 days a year when my anxiety is through the roof.  That is when I need a stronger med.  As it is, what I end up doing is mixing meds- not the best idea- to try and calm my anxiety down along with getting distracted by watching Netflix or something else very engaging === (I watch crime dramas almost exclusively on Netflix and many of them are foreign where I listen to the language and read the English and between the subject matter and the foreign language and different country setting, it is a pretty good distractant for me.

• Like 1

Just now, TravelingChris said:

I can't even get a prescription for 3 benzos.  And I have been on a benzo before as a muscle relaxant when I couldn't move my neck almost at all.  Taking like 3 or 4 over a few days did the trick.  My hydroxyzine normally is good enough plus it has the additional benefit of helping my allergies and lowering bp.  But I have had maybe about 2 or 3 days a year when my anxiety is through the roof.  That is when I need a stronger med.  As it is, what I end up doing is mixing meds- not the best idea- to try and calm my anxiety down along with getting distracted by watching Netflix or something else very engaging === (I watch crime dramas almost exclusively on Netflix and many of them are foreign where I listen to the language and read the English and between the subject matter and the foreign language and different country setting, it is a pretty good distractant for me.

I think hydroxyzine is underused. The benzo use as you describe is when it makes sense. Just prescribing it for daily use indefinitely does not.

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I think hydroxyzine is underused. The benzo use as you describe is when it makes sense. Just prescribing it for daily use indefinitely does not.

I can definitely understand that.  I would not want to take it everyday. That was the joke back in the 60s- mother's little helper-I think that is a Rolling Stones song but lots of movies from that era and later 50s show how common that was- spaced out mommies.  Fortunately for me, I am ADHD and the benzo didn't space me out- just made me a bit more mellow.

I know you say you don’t need counseling because the anxiety is pandemic related, but I found counseling to be hugely beneficial for my pandemic anxiety.  It was 100% via Telehealth, I worked with my counselor for just over a year and I never once met her in person.  Turns out the pandemic stress was triggering my childhood trauma.  Processing the underlying issues made a night and day difference. (Well that and a low dose of Celexa.)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, GracieJane said:

I have loved ones who have taken anti-anxiety medication for temporary relief from particularly stressful periods of life. I actually think that‘s the ideal way to approach anti-depressants and the like; as a temporary „assistance“ to get through a rough time. 

Yeah, that is what my primary care doc thought.  No big deal take a pill.  But it was. It so screwed up my thinking when I was on it.  I gained 30 pounds that I have never been able to lose. It is a big deal.  

I know it works for some. I am really glad. But the OP needs to have decent follow-up. 

The psych said that my genetic make-up caused the bad side effects to be magnified and the good ones to be negated.  

Drugs are serious. They should not be given out like candy. Telehealth can work if regularly scheduled. But saying take a pill, it will all be magically better is dangerous.  Mental health takes a multi prong approach. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dsmith said:

oops sorry for that last post....

My husband and I had a brief exchange.  Basically, he is not going to wear a mask in a meeting taking place the 31st.  He said after two years, most adults are not wearing "face dipes."  Then he told me, "life goes on."  Of course, this is to spite me and is just being mean at this point.  Any decent loving husband would have said something along the lines of wearing a mask to make his wife feel at ease.  I basically need medication to get through this marriage anymore.  He's just a mean person who respects his forum buddies more than the feelings of his wife.  For over a decade I have been going on his family trip with his side of the family, which I hate.  He hasn't figured out all the reasons why it is unbearable for me.  Of all the little meals out last time (last summer, summer is our risky time), he sat by me once!  At one restaurant, he sat by his parents and others, and a waiter missed our kids' drink order.  My husband made it my fault by asking why I didn't interject, and I really couldn't.  I'm just over it.  Always last. 

• Sad 4

20 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

oops sorry for that last post....

My husband and I had a brief exchange.  Basically, he is not going to wear a mask in a meeting taking place the 31st.  He said after two years, most adults are not wearing "face dipes."  Then he told me, "life goes on."  Of course, this is to spite me and is just being mean at this point.  Any decent loving husband would have said something along the lines of wearing a mask to make his wife feel at ease.  I basically need medication to get through this marriage anymore.  He's just a mean person who respects his forum buddies more than the feelings of his wife.  For over a decade I have been going on his family trip with his side of the family, which I hate.  He hasn't figured out all the reasons why it is unbearable for me.  Of all the little meals out last time (last summer, summer is our risky time), he sat by me once!  At one restaurant, he sat by his parents and others, and a waiter missed our kids' drink order.  My husband made it my fault by asking why I didn't interject, and I really couldn't.  I'm just over it.  Always last. 

Yes, you may very well need meds. You also need therapy.  Do you have any kind of support system… someone you could be honest with about how meds are going? As I said before. This isn’t a pandemic issue. It is much bigger.  You need to reach out to someone that can be there to support you. 

• Like 2

Individual therapy can be super helpful with relationship issues. Agreeing with @TexasProud that a good therapist would be excellent support. I started individual therapy several years ago once a week, and continue to see my therapist once a month virtually now. Occasionally l'll schedule more frequent appointments if something comes up, but it's helped me change my life and relationships to support my wellbeing and it's reassuring to know that kind of support is there when I need it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, I agree that genetic testing before going on any mental health meds is necessary! It can be done inexpensively with a saliva test. We got one for $100 before Ds went on ADHD meds.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Yes, I agree that genetic testing before going on any mental health meds is necessary! It can be done inexpensively with a saliva test. We got one for $100 before Ds went on ADHD meds.

Interesting--where did you have the testing done?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

It's more usual than not to have to try a few meds. 

This is very true.  What I did was make sure my husband was giving me feedback.  I talked to him extensively and told him to let me know if I seemed angry, or worse in any way.  The possibility of a bad reaction is real, so you should let someone close to you who knows you well aware of what is going on and let them know to say something.  My daughter had to get on meds several months ago, and I let her know at the beginning don't be discouraged if the first meds don't work, just keep giving your doctor feedback.  

I am "stuck" on a medication I've been taking since I had DD 23 years ago because I have severe discontinuation syndrome trying to get off it.  Sometimes I think I regret getting on it, but in absolute honesty I would not have made it through my post-partum depression without serious damage to myself or my relationships.  Therapy was NOT helping at that time, although it has helped me greatly at other times.  Sometimes medication is what you need to do to have a decent quality of life.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Interesting--where did you have the testing done?

It was mail-in. Super easy! Spit in a tube, seal it, mail in the packaging they included. Tempus - they use your anonymized data and cost is also prorated by income. Our psych’s office uses them all the time. We got a thorough report of how Ds would react to a plethora of meds. Also, we discovered that he is  homozygous for both MTHFR mutations and is now on supplements to address that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OP, not quoting in the event you choose to delete.

What you describe in your last post is not a "pandemic" problem; it is a marital/relationship problem. 

A particular pandemic-driven issue to navigate may be exacerbating the relationship issue (in the same way that issues around money/child behavior/in-laws/illness/ etc) can exacerbate relationship problems.  Mutual respect, communication of needs v wants, setting aside unilateralism, getting to compromises that entail one or both parties to dial back what they want -- or not -- the pandemic *catapults new stresses* into every relationship, for sure...

... and the right  medication (concurring with pp that it can take several runs to get to the "right" one) can help *your* anxiety level, mood, sleep, ability to self-regulate....

But medication alone can't help you *communicate* and better resolve within your relationships whatever problems life, including the pandemic, throws your way.  That's a therapy issue.

(( hugs ))

• Like 8