Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

We’re seeing quite a bit of reinfection—third time they’ve had Covid, mostly in the healthcare worker population which is 100% vaccinated here and an extremely high percentage is boosted.  Hospitalizations for Covid remain low, though we’ve had a spike in a brutal norovirus that is leaving people hospitalized for a day or two.  Fortunately; Covid has not run rampant through the schools despite no required masking(which basically means no one is wearing a mask) either on the busses or in the classroom.

I am anecdotally hearing of triple vaxxed people catching Covid for a second or third time and having long Covid symtoms, despite having a mild infection. 

Are they masking outside of work? 

We had noro here too, but I haven't heard about hospitalizations. DH got it, but we managed to not catch it from him.

Our schools had rampant covid in the last wave, but it's not going nuts here right now. We are always a little behind the other parts of the state. During the last wave, it was insane--sometimes half empty classrooms, etc. Lots of trouble getting subs and bus drivers. 

8 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

We’re seeing quite a bit of reinfection—third time they’ve had Covid, mostly in the healthcare worker population which is 100% vaccinated here and an extremely high percentage is boosted.  Hospitalizations for Covid remain low, though we’ve had a spike in a brutal norovirus that is leaving people hospitalized for a day or two.  Fortunately; Covid has not run rampant through the schools despite no required masking(which basically means no one is wearing a mask) either on the busses or in the classroom.

I am anecdotally hearing of triple vaxxed people catching Covid for a second or third time and having long Covid symtoms, despite having a mild infection. 

Hearing and seeing the same here.  That norovirus is really nasty and hitting people hard. 

Does anyone have any info about current hospitalizations for Covid? Those are the numbers that really matter to me at this point. 

I don’t trust the numbers for confirmed cases right now, because so many people are using at-home tests, so the positives aren’t usually reported unless the people get sick enough to seek medical care, and even when people go to a public site or a doctor’s office to get tested and a positive test is reported, many families only have one person go get tested and then just assume that the other sick family members have Covid, too, so they don’t bother to get tested.

9 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Does anyone have any info about current hospitalizations for Covid? Those are the numbers that really matter to me at this point. 

I don’t trust the numbers for confirmed cases right now, because so many people are using at-home tests, so the positives aren’t usually reported unless the people get sick enough to seek medical care, and even when people go to a public site or a doctor’s office to get tested and a positive test is reported, many families only have one person go get tested and then just assume that the other sick family members have Covid, too, so they don’t bother to get tested.

Our state is still reporting all info M-F every week and it's easy to find.  I find it so weird this isn't happening every place.  We also have metro wastewater data on Fridays.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kbutton said:

Are they masking outside of work? 

We had noro here too, but I haven't heard about hospitalizations. DH got it, but we managed to not catch it from him.

Our schools had rampant covid in the last wave, but it's not going nuts here right now. We are always a little behind the other parts of the state. During the last wave, it was insane--sometimes half empty classrooms, etc. Lots of trouble getting subs and bus drivers. 

I doubt it.  I don’t see anyone masking in public except occasionally an elderly person. But most of the people I know from work tend to hang out together outside of work, things get passed back and forth frequently.

I kind of thought Covid would fly through the classrooms here when the masks came off because the majority of kids aren’t vaccinated, but there hasn’t been much of an outbreak at all.  
I’m really hoping my kids don’t catch this nasty norovirus, but reminding them to wash their hands frequently only goes so far.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I doubt it.  I don’t see anyone masking in public except occasionally an elderly person. But most of the people I know from work tend to hang out together outside of work, things get passed back and forth frequently.

I kind of thought Covid would fly through the classrooms here when the masks came off because the majority of kids aren’t vaccinated, but there hasn’t been much of an outbreak at all.  
I’m really hoping my kids don’t catch this nasty norovirus, but reminding them to wash their hands frequently only goes so far.

Ah, the bolded makes sense. That's not so much the case where DH works, but I think almost all of them are getting sick outside of work when they do get sick. They are hosting an indoor family event for workers and their families that I think could end up being a super spreader event if number here tick up next month (and I think they will). I just hope it doesn't mess up DH's schedule too much if people get ill. We can't go with a pending major surgery in the house less than a month afterward.

For schools, I think the timing of masking or not makes a big difference. For my son's school, I think big rooms, small classes, and high ceilings are protective (and they often open doors to the outside). He attends PT at a vocational school, and they had room to build three very large sheds simultaneously. Their class has about 13 kids, I think. Their numbers have been manageable the whole pandemic. As much as I hate the Test to Stay program here vs. sending exposed kids home (mostly because the school already let kids stay that were masking and exposed if asymptomatic/negative, so it incentivized bad behavior), I think it did end up containing (to a degree) a lot of the Covid cases while not making getting a covid test punitive. Test to Stay here means that if you are exposed, you can choose to stay in school but wear a mask, and you have to get tested on a particular schedule. If you test positive or develop symptoms, then you isolate. I am not sure what the current policy has evolved into, but we had Test to Stay through the fall and through the last surge. It kept a lid on it in school until about Thanksgiving--people did all the family stuff unmasked all winter, and then it went crazy outside of school. 

• Like 2

We've started our BA2 case count curve upward, but we aren't seeing an increase in hospitalizations yet. 

Anecdotally, dh's work resumed in person a few weeks ago, dh is one of the few still masking. A good number of his coworkers are sick as of this week. I don't know if that's from work or the rest of life as I hear people coughing wherever I go now as well.  I have one more dentist appointment next week and then I'm sequestering myself at home through this next wave.  Our metro epidemiologists expect a peak in 4-6 weeks.

• Like 1

Our local case counts seem to be climbing a bit. I’m actually finding it difficult to find data. And no more waste water reporting in the next county over (never had it locally, but they were a good gauge for what was happening here).

GI doc office — large, busy practice — had a big sign that masks are optional. I didn’t see any patients masking, nor any nurses. A receptionist, the doc, and I were the only ones! That was rather shocking. I expected to see more masking in a doc office.

• Sad 7

11 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Our local case counts seem to be climbing a bit. I’m actually finding it difficult to find data. And no more waste water reporting in the next county over (never had it locally, but they were a good gauge for what was happening here).

GI doc office — large, busy practice — had a big sign that masks are optional. I didn’t see any patients masking, nor any nurses. A receptionist, the doc, and I were the only ones! That was rather shocking. I expected to see more masking in a doc office.

The doctor's office is the only place I still see masking

Even when its a little ridiculous. Mask in the public waiting room where everyone is sitting far away from each other. Take the mask off in the doctor's room so he can look down your throat and see what is going on. Then mask on again for the public areas as you walk out

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Wow, I really hate the idea of masks being optional in places like doctors’ offices, dentists’ offices, and other medical facilities. I think it is both reckless and inconsiderate.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, vonfirmath said:

The doctor's office is the only place I still see masking

Even when its a little ridiculous. Mask in the public waiting room where everyone is sitting far away from each other. Take the mask off in the doctor's room so he can look down your throat and see what is going on. Then mask on again for the public areas as you walk out

But the people in the waiting room are still sharing the same air, and in a doctor’s office, there’s a pretty good chance that one or more of the sick people may have Covid — and Covid can linger in the air for quite a while after the person leaves the waiting room, as well. The old “6 feet apart” theory has been debunked, now that they know the virus can travel much farther through the air.

I would hope that they disinfect the examining rooms between patients. (Admittedly, that may be wishful thinking on my part, but my doctor’s office says they do.)

• Like 7

15 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We've started our BA2 case count curve upward, but we aren't seeing an increase in hospitalizations yet. 

Anecdotally, dh's work resumed in person a few weeks ago, dh is one of the few still masking. A good number of his coworkers are sick as of this week. I don't know if that's from work or the rest of life as I hear people coughing wherever I go now as well.  I have one more dentist appointment next week and then I'm sequestering myself at home through this next wave.  Our metro epidemiologists expect a peak in 4-6 weeks.

The same thing for my brother in law in France. He is in IT, and that department has been work from home for two years. They resumed working in person March 1st. He wad the ONLY person wearing a mask, and well, that doesn't help so much when no one else wears them and also refuses to stay out of his cubical. He got covid. Actually, several hundred employees all got it at the same time. Thankfully, his case was light. But, he has two coworkers who were hospitalized, and one took it home to his immune compromised toddler, and the baby is going to be taken off life support today. 😭

We are still holding out here, anxiously watching the numbers. We are still going to ds's commencement a week from tomorrow. It is mandatory masking, and everyone who doesn't like it will be bounced at the door. An outdoor amphitheater will be livestreaming the ceremony on big screen, but since it isn't going to be very warm, I am not sure how many people will take advantage of that. We will be indoors, but all of us in KN95. His college bought special order KN95 to match cap and gowns for the seniors and faculty. Fingers crossed we will be okay. The venue does have a new ventilation system that is supposed to be really good, and I know that current research supports that being very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

First of the family: ds and dil both down last week.  They are vaxxed and boosted and previously very cautious but stopped masking at stores, etc about six weeks ago.  Her parents are nearby so can shop for them, but ugh.  They're both really fit, ultra-marathoner types.

• Sad 8

Our county went from averaging 19 per day a week ago to 27 per day this week. I get emails most days about another case or two in our school. Then yesterday I got an email of a personal exposure as one of the cases was a student in my class present on Monday. Yes, I will keep wearing my N95! During the class after hers there was a loud noise outside and a student shut the window. I promptly opened it back up and explained that was probably the most important thing we're doing to not get sick. I know many people have moved on from that viewpoint, but I'm still trying to avoid illness.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

The same thing for my brother in law in France. He is in IT, and that department has been work from home for two years. They resumed working in person March 1st. He wad the ONLY person wearing a mask, and well, that doesn't help so much when no one else wears them and also refuses to stay out of his cubical. He got covid. Actually, several hundred employees all got it at the same time. Thankfully, his case was light. But, he has two coworkers who were hospitalized, and one took it home to his immune compromised toddler, and the baby is going to be taken off life support today. 😭

We are still holding out here, anxiously watching the numbers. We are still going to ds's commencement a week from tomorrow. It is mandatory masking, and everyone who doesn't like it will be bounced at the door. An outdoor amphitheater will be livestreaming the ceremony on big screen, but since it isn't going to be very warm, I am not sure how many people will take advantage of that. We will be indoors, but all of us in KN95. His college bought special order KN95 to match cap and gowns for the seniors and faculty. Fingers crossed we will be okay. The venue does have a new ventilation system that is supposed to be really good, and I know that current research supports that being very helpful.

Same thing is happening at dh's office.  He is one of only a few who are masking now that it masks are not required.  We haven't gotten sick yet, but how much longer can he keep from picking up this variant?  He is also has to travel for work and now no masks on planes.  This sucks. 

• Sad 9

Our Covid numbers ticked up to over 10% positivity rate today, but the actual numbers are still small.  My guess is that much fewer people are testing, and only those who are symptomatic, so the percentage of positives is higher than before when people were testing frequently for all kinds of reasons and didn’t have access to home tests.  Fortunately, on the ambulance and in the ER, we still aren’t seeing many with Covid(in fact I can’t remember the last time I transported someone who was Covid positive).  There are some hospitalizations overnight but mostly for fluids and rehydration, not in the ICU on a vent. Our ER is full of lots of other things, but the ICU has good capacity and the Covid floor has so few patients that it’s really now just a med-surge floor. 

It’s nothing like December and January, when we were over 10% positivity rate and had no available beds. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Our Covid numbers ticked up to over 10% positivity rate today, but the actual numbers are still small.  My guess is that much fewer people are testing, and only those who are symptomatic, so the percentage of positives is higher than before when people were testing frequently for all kinds of reasons and didn’t have access to home tests.  Fortunately, on the ambulance and in the ER, we still aren’t seeing many with Covid(in fact I can’t remember the last time I transported someone who was Covid positive).  There are some hospitalizations overnight but mostly for fluids and rehydration, not in the ICU on a vent. Our ER is full of lots of other things, but the ICU has good capacity and the Covid floor has so few patients that it’s really now just a med-surge floor. 

It’s nothing like December and January, when we were over 10% positivity rate and had no available beds. 

Not so good here.  Positivity 17.5%. Covid admissions aren't terrible, but staffing is a serious issue - so many staff out with covid, remaining staff all working extra shifts and run ragged.   21 patients admitted to no bed, boarding in the ED right now.  Regional wastewater is appalling:

image.thumb.png.10ae1f2474e557d0680ebe6db183a52c.png

• Sad 18

DD works part time at a clothing store in the mall, and she was notified yesterday that someone she worked with earlier this week is out sick with covid. She did a rapid test, which was negative, and so far she doesn't have any symptoms.

I was at Trader Joe's and Home Depot this morning. TJ's was about 50/50 on masking for both employees and customers, but at Home Depot I only saw 2 masked employees and zero masked customers (other than me).

I'm so mad they dropped the mask mandate on planes — DS is flying to a competition today, and back on Monday, so that's 4 planes and 6 airports in the next four days. At least the competition is requiring 100% masking 100% of the time, but between flights, hotel, Ubers, and meals, that's a lot of potential exposure — and right before finals, too.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Sad 13

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'm so mad they dropped the mask mandate on planes — DS is flying to a competition today, and back on Monday, so that's 4 planes and 6 airports in the next four days. At least the competition is requiring 100% masking 100% of the time, but between flights, hotel, Ubers, and meals, that's a lot of potential exposure — and right before finals, too.

When I flew back from Asia on Wednesday, the captain said that masks stayed on until the plane is off the ground. The plane was about 2/3 full on the economy class section and full on the business class section. I took an aisle seat and had an empty seat between me and other passenger. About half the cabin crew were unmasked. Since it was an international flight for mine, everyone had either a negative PCR or RAT test within 24hrs or recovered from COVID recently. I have N95s but it was too uncomfortable for a 15hrs nonstop flight so I used two disposable masks for the flight.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wathe said:

Not so good here.  Positivity 17.5%. Covid admissions aren't terrible, but staffing is a serious issue - so many staff out with covid, remaining staff all working extra shifts and run ragged.   21 patients admitted to no bed, boarding in the ED right now.  Regional wastewater is appalling:

image.thumb.png.10ae1f2474e557d0680ebe6db183a52c.png

Positivity is over 30pc permanently here and no one even cares! It’s nuts.

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Positivity is over 30pc permanently here and no one even cares! It’s nuts.

Yeah, I was going to say 17% sounds nice. It's weird how in Australia only a few months ago we were looking at the US and shaking our heads, look how they've got no protocols in place, people are dying and no one cares . . . and now we're in a worse place with even fewer protocols and people are dying and no one cares. It really shows that it is all about leadership and the messaging from the top.

I'm still getting 'kids don't get sick' (the WA premier's kid has been hospitalised and is seriously ill; numerous children have died). I'm still getting 'it's like the flu' or 'it's a bad cold' (your symptoms, maybe, but a cold doesn't leave you with heightened vascular risk for months, nor do we lose 2500 people from colds in just 4 months). 

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

Ds tested faintly positive today, on Day 7 of his isolation. Big change from the bright red line a week ago. Will test him again tomorrow. He's only had mild cold symptoms, thank goodness. Nobody else on the house has tested positive, though I suppose there's always a chance we might in the next few days. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, wathe said:

It's such a vicious circle:  can't staff the covid assessment and treatment clinic, because the staff have covid.....

Asking my typical medical crowd question...are they letting their guard down in their personal life?

DH's ER group hasn't had a staffing crisis since 2020, thankfully, but I know people are getting it here and there. I worry about some group activities they've resumed that might create a crisis (optional, morale building stuff or restaurant meetings that have a phone in option, though DH has attended one in person, masked, but just asked for his meal to go).

He phoned into a meeting the other day, and his boss could hardly get out single sentences without having a coughing fit--he's had Covid in the last month or so and says everyone he knows who's had it recently is in the same boat with the never-ending cough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A tale of two respiratory people that looked similar on the outside, but different lead up...

One (50's) had Covid "like a cold" a few months ago. Fast forward...sudden oxygen saturation in the 70's (set in over less than 24 hours). Not much improvement with multiple breathing treatments. Requires 4 liters of oxygen and is in acidosis. In the time between Covid and this acute out of the blue episode, this person had bronchitis (recovered) and developed chronic sinusitis (supposed to have sinus surgery). No history of smoking or significant exposure. Is in actual respiratory failure.

Second one also needs 4 liter of oxygen, but had a recent bout of pneumonia and has tons of smoking and smoking exposure--lungs are shot. No acidosis. Is on oxygen all the time anyway. Is not quite in actual respiratory failure.

It's pretty shocking to think that a "Covid cold" could cause more acute disease in a few months than years and years of smoking. I think we're quite possibly in for a rude awakening about long-term health post-Covid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 16

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Asking my typical medical crowd question...are they letting their guard down in their personal life?

DH's ER group hasn't had a staffing crisis since 2020, thankfully, but I know people are getting it here and there. I worry about some group activities they've resumed that might create a crisis (optional, morale building stuff or restaurant meetings that have a phone in option, though DH has attended one in person, masked, but just asked for his meal to go).

He phoned into a meeting the other day, and his boss could hardly get out single sentences without having a coughing fit--he's had Covid in the last month or so and says everyone he knows who's had it recently is in the same boat with the never-ending cough. 

I don’t really see any of the medical professionals I know still taking personal precautions.  There was a lot of complaints in the ER over spring break because someone in management approved four nurses to go on vacation(shorting everything)—the four of them went to an all inclusive in Mexico.  This week I know two ER doctors from a different hospital that I’m friends with are on a cruise(and one of my RN friends went on this cruise too and she worked in a big city Covid unit during the thick of fall 2020).  I was at a national conference filled with ER doctors, anesthesiologists, Flight and ER nurses and flight paramedics from all across the country a few weeks ago, with several hundred in attendance. I noticed one mask. 
I think those taking precautions are the outliers now.  Nobody anywhere seems to be concerned about long term symptoms or post Covid syndrome.

In a few weeks I’m at a conference in North Carolina for predominately ER staff(doctors, nurses, some EMS). Masking is not required, but since it is a state wide conference and not national, I am kind of curious to see if there are regional differences in masking. 
Speaking of conferences, I know a bunch of physicians and PAs headed to the American Academy of Emergency Medicine conference in Baltimore this week.  The biggest thing they’re all looking forward to is the nightly social events with bands and buffet dinners. I checked the website and it doesn’t look like there are any Covid precautions listed. Frankly, when there aren’t Covid precautions or masking at physician medical conferences or the State of the Union, I don’t really expect the public to think precautions and masking are a big deal. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Sad 11

12 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

In a few weeks I’m at a conference in North Carolina for predominately ER staff(doctors, nurses, some EMS). Masking is not required, but since it is a state wide conference and not national, I am kind of curious to see if there are regional differences in masking. 

DH has some training he needs to do that will require travel. It's been okay to put it off during Covid, but now I kind of wish he'd just have gone while masks were in place. Sigh. It's been hard to know how to time it with surges since he has to get time off really far in advance. Part of the hesitation is that Florida is one the big locations.

We're really unicorns here with our precautions.

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

Yes. ** 

Mask mandates were removed March 21.  This has clearly contributed to the crisis - medical staff who avoided it for 2+ years, while community protections were in place, are now dropping like flies.  Nothing has changed at work - still the same PPE and the same workplace precautions.

Most of them are getting from their kids, who have brought it home from school or daycare.  Some from social gatherings.  No obvious workplace outbreaks.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t really see any of the medical professionals I know still taking personal precautions.  There was a lot of complaints in the ER over spring break because someone in management approved four nurses to go on vacation(shorting everything)—the four of them went to an all inclusive in Mexico.  This week I know two ER doctors from a different hospital that I’m friends with are on a cruise(and one of my RN friends went on this cruise too and she worked in a big city Covid unit during the thick of fall 2020).  I was at a national conference filled with ER doctors, anesthesiologists, Flight and ER nurses and flight paramedics from all across the country a few weeks ago, with several hundred in attendance. I noticed one mask. 
I think those taking precautions are the outliers now.  Nobody anywhere seems to be concerned about long term symptoms or post Covid syndrome.

Speaking of conferences, I know a bunch of physicians and PAs headed to the American Academy of Emergency Medicine conference in Baltimore this week.  The biggest thing they’re all looking forward to is the nightly social events with bands and buffet dinners. I checked the website and it doesn’t look like there are any Covid precautions listed. Frankly, when there aren’t Covid precautions or masking at physician medical conferences or the State of the Union, I don’t really expect the public to think precautions and masking are a big deal. 

I could imagine that many people in healthcare feel like their job is the place where they are at risk, so they feel like letting their guard down outside work with “people they know“ is a safe place to do so. It’s been shown time and again people have this weird conception that they’re less likely to get Covid if they are with people they know. Though clearly, that’s the most common way  for people to get Covid 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have seen more kids thorough the ED and covid clinic with viral URI complaints just in the past 2 weeks than I have in the past 2 years.

ETA it's not all covid.  They are all getting infectious everything, all at once.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

8 minutes ago, wathe said:

I have seen more kids thorough the ED and covid clinic with viral URI complaints just in the past 2 weeks than I have in the past 2 years.

ETA it's not all covid.  They are all getting infectious everything, all at once.

I’m feeling worried about my little one, who is going to have to go through being exposed to all the stuff at some point and I don’t want it to be all at once. I don’t like this whole adenovirus/hepatitis connection thing they are currently seeing, though I know it’s rare. I’ve seen they are hypothesising that it’s hitting little ones hard because they haven’t seen an adenovirus yet, isn’t that always the case the first time a kid gets an adenovirus? I’m not particularly sure how this is different. I’m wondering if it’s more a case that a couple year’s worth of adenovirus exposure is all happening in a very short time. So all the rare bad outcomes are happening all at once. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wathe said:

***For most, not so much letting their guard down as being victims of a dropped masked mandate that's pretty much equivalent to a let-it-rip through the schools and daycares policy.

I am concerned we'll be there next year. My younger kiddo is starting school and will have to eat lunch every day. My older kiddo has been in school all year, but only half days, so he eats at home. 

My county is back in the red on the CDC map. Schools return from spring break tomorrow too, but still no masks.. it’s only recommended but the district isn’t even mentioning it. Once they went away I knew they’d never be reinstated 😞

Not looking forward to going back to work this week.

At least the weather is getting nicer (40s) but the other adults in my classroom refuse to have the windows even cracked.. they’re “too cold” & won’t wear masks. And I have no control over my own kids’ classrooms- their teachers don’t wear masks or open windows either.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 11

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

At least the weather is getting nicer (40s) but the other adults in my classroom refuse to have the windows even cracked.. they’re “too cold” & won’t wear masks. And I have no control over my own kids’ classrooms- their teachers don’t wear masks or open windows either.

This one's non-negotiable for me. The first thing I do every morning when I arrive at school is open the two windows that open--they just push out and only open maybe 6". I think fresh air circulating in is probably the most important thing we can do with no mask requirement anymore. You just need to dress appropriately--I wore heavy sweaters and sweatshirts when the winter highs were in the 40's. The kids kept their jackets on. The 9 seats by the windows are the most popular in the class--they are on the south side of the building and we get awesome light.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

This one's non-negotiable for me. The first thing I do every morning when I arrive at school is open the two windows that open--they just push out and only open maybe 6". I think fresh air circulating in is probably the most important thing we can do with no mask requirement anymore. You just need to dress appropriately--I wore heavy sweaters and sweatshirts when the winter highs were in the 40's. The kids kept their jackets on. The 9 seats by the windows are the most popular in the class--they are on the south side of the building and we get awesome light.

I agree wholeheartedly but I’m not the only adult in the room. I open them and they close them after a few minutes. (Yeah, I’m pissy about it sometimes which isn’t good with people you have to work with for years to come)

I don’t have tenure and our principal, superintendent, & school board would not support me in a fight over it. “Covid is over and we’re getting back to normal for the kids sake” is the party line.

ETA- Parents would freak out and trash me on Facebook locally if I kept the windows open this winter & their kids had to wear coats. It’s usually chilly in our room anyways and a few kids keep their coats on even when the windows are closed. The school board always responds to Facebook complaints from parents in favor of the parents.
I can get away with cracking them for a few minutes and open after recess for awhile when the kids come in sweaty but that’s about it.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 7

On 4/24/2022 at 5:49 AM, KSera said:

I’m feeling worried about my little one, who is going to have to go through being exposed to all the stuff at some point and I don’t want it to be all at once. I don’t like this whole adenovirus/hepatitis connection thing they are currently seeing, though I know it’s rare. I’ve seen they are hypothesising that it’s hitting little ones hard because they haven’t seen an adenovirus yet, isn’t that always the case the first time a kid gets an adenovirus? I’m not particularly sure how this is different. I’m wondering if it’s more a case that a couple year’s worth of adenovirus exposure is all happening in a very short time. So all the rare bad outcomes are happening all at once. 

There’s med people questioning the adenovirus lack of exposure thing. Sounds like adenovirus can lie dormant and reactivate in people with lowered immunity so it’s unlikely that kids haven’t been exposed at all? I may not have that quite right but basically covid measures aren’t as effective against adenovirus so kids should have been exposed somewhat.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:49 AM, KSera said:

This was one of the better thought out takes on it although obviously no answers. I think it’s also possible that kids have weakened immune systems due to prior covid infection. It’s possible that it’s some form of toxicity etc. It’s possible that adenovirus has changed somehow. But the rates haven’t dropped off drastically so it seems less likely that it’s due to lack of exposure previously.