Menu

How (is it possible) to know if you are prone to seasickness?

popmom

Dh and I are thinking ahead to our 30th anniversary which is a year away. We would like to take a trip to the Caribbean possibly. There are all these side trips and island hopping by boat that look amazing, but I’m such a chicken. I’m terrified of getting seasick. 

We actually went to Maui when we were in our 20’s. We did a snorkel trip to Molikini, and I did fine. A few years ago we did a dolphin tour in Florida that took us to an inlet to the Gulf of Mexico. I did get a tad uncomfortable, but I very well may have just psyched myself out because the guide mentioned seasickness because we were in rougher waters. 

I hate being a chicken. I LOVE the water. I want to do things. 😞

ETA I’ve been on boats on lakes and rivers many times—never had an issue. But that’s  no comparison to ocean swells. 

Edited by popmom

2 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Do you get carsick or motion sick on airplanes or rollercoasters? 

Nope. Never. Although, I rarely do either. I only ride fairly tame coasters. Space Mountain is the riskiest one I’ve done.

Edited by popmom

Just now, calbear said:

Just in case get sea-bands (those accupressure wrist bands) and non-drowsy otc dramamine as a backup. I find if I don't look at the water it helps. It also helped me to have an inside cabin as well. 

I’m not talking about a big cruise ship though. I want to take little excursions on small boats.

my husband who never gets carsick, airsick, motionsick or seasick on a cruise ship...did throw up on when he went out fishing in the bay waters where we live in SoCal on a friend's boat. He was shocked that he got seasick. He didn't listen to me and have a just in case dose of dramamine with him. I'm the in case of emergency person and hope I don't need it type of packer.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

My husband doesn’t have any worries. He’s spent time in the Kwajalein islands for work. Ferrying from island to island on rough seas by boat or military helicopter. He’s pretty much bullet proof! 

I wish I could be that fearless!

Edited by popmom

3 hours ago, popmom said:

As an aside, I was just trying to remember the last time I flew. It was 2001. I haven’t flown anywhere in 20 years. 

Da*#. That’s kinda sad!

How about “Da*#. That’s a small carbon footprint and I’m kinda awesome !”

Because it is way better for the world not to fly, and of course you’re awesome. 😘 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went on a cruise in my early 20's and was seriously seasick. I had never had any sort of car sickness, vertigo, motion sickness or anything ever until then. Mine only lasted about 18 hours, but I wanted to die during that time. And it triggered something and I've been susceptible to vertigo and motion sickness ever since (but not car sickness). I've never been able to look at spinny things w/o feeling woozy since then.

I don't think there's any way you can know. Go prepared. I think there's a prescription patch you can get? I'd get it, just in case.

• Like 1

Reading this post because I've been semi interested in an Alaskan cruise some day. You all have confirmed my fears, no way I want to risk it. I get car sick on windy roads unless I'm driving and even the kid's rides at the amusement park make me very dizzy. We went on a boat tour this summer and while everyone else loved it I was miserable.

Op sounds like you will be just fine but better safe than sorry I'd bring the bands and medicine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J-rap said:

Everyone in our family who is bothered by sea-sickness is also bothered with car-sickness.  Those of us who have no car-sickness have never had a problem with sea-sickness.

Same. the two in our family who get seasick are the ones who can't read in the car without very quickly feeling sick. I get very nervous on boats in rough water, but don't feel the least bit queasy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, popmom said:

I’m not talking about a big cruise ship though. I want to take little excursions on small boats.

I don’t get car sick or sea sick or plane sick as long as there is good air circulation. I do well with turbulence while on a plane and ship. 

My kids get car sick but not sea sick. They need to wind down the car windows to minimize car sickness. They are okay with plane turbulence.

Super lemons sweets (cheaper at asian supermarkets) and candied ginger are our go to for nausea. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Then you won’t.

10 hours ago, popmom said:

Seriously? Is it that easy? 

I wish!

None of us get car sick or have trouble flying but sometimes have trouble with seasickness. Idk why we sometimes get sick and other times we don’t; there doesn’t seem to be any specific, predictable reason.

Dramamine is a good suggestion; take it some time before you get on the boat. Do be aware it might make you sleepy, though. 

• Like 2

I get mildly carsick. I did not get seasick on a cruise ship or on excursion boats, but did once on a small fishing boat (granted, I had eaten a bunch of greasy food right before going out.)

My daughter has a history of severe carsickness. She was only a little bit seasick on the cruise ship, once or twice, and was not seasick on excursion boats.

My husband doesn't get carsick as far as I know. He had the worst seasickness of any of us on the cruise ship.

All of that to say, there really is no way of knowing. I say take some Bonine with you just in case and have fun!

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

Oh and I do get motion sick- as part of my volunteer position at the museum I've had two opportunities to fly in Warbirds (our B25 and our PBY Catalina) ...I did ALL the things before flying.  I took nondrowsy dramamine, and pepto bismol - the pills, I wore sea bands, I ate only plain crackers beforehand (but do eat a little - empty stomachs are worse!) and I took lemon sweets to suck. Pleased to report I didnt get sick in either plane lol 

• Like 1

Go on a short excursion and see if you are seasick. Be prepared with wrist band and drugs. I don't get carsick but I do get sea sick. 

So if your event is several hours long and there is a meal involved I would take a short trip on a boat about and hour or less and see how you feel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

Same. the two in our family who get seasick are the ones who can't read in the car without very quickly feeling sick. I get very nervous on boats in rough water, but don't feel the least bit queasy.

It just hit me…I get nauseous watching my kids play video games. Minecraft kills me. And poorly shot walk through videos on YouTube lol. 

2 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Go on a short excursion and see if you are seasick. Be prepared with wrist band and drugs. I don't get carsick but I do get sea sick. 

So if your event is several hours long and there is a meal involved I would take a short trip on a boat about and hour or less and see how you feel. 

I think that’s a good idea. 

I’m a tad queasy right now because I got a Moderna booster last night. I need to think about something else. 😉 or go back to sleep. 

10 hours ago, bibiche said:

How about “Da*#. That’s a small carbon footprint and I’m kinda awesome !”

Because it is way better for the world not to fly, and of course you’re awesome. 😘 

I’ve never thought about it like that! Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I don't think you can know. Use the wristbands and take Bonine. Bonine works better  than dramamine and doesn't make you drowsy.

It doesn't make most people drowsy. This is well worth checking ahead of time, because it knocks me right out. 

• Like 1